ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit , psychics , telepathy , uri geller

Old 22nd March 2019, 06:50 PM   #1
marting
Graduate Poster

Uri Geller promises to stop Brexit using telepathy

Sheesh.

In an open letter to the prime minister, the Israeli-British TV personality said he felt “psychically and very strongly” that most Britons were anti-Brexit and promised to stop the process telepathically.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...sing-telepathy
Old 22nd March 2019, 06:57 PM   #2
fromdownunder
Philosopher

That actually makes as much sense as a lot of the stuff I am reading about Brexit.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2019, 12:39 AM   #3
dann
Philosopher

like Randi used to say about Geller's claim that he bended spoons "psychically", That would be doing it the hard way. In this case it would be much easier to read the polls:

Quote:
But in a referendum between staying in the EU and leaving on the terms that the government has negotiated, staying enjoys an 18-point lead: 59-41%.
The polls are clear: support for staying in the EU has rocketed (Guardian, Dec. 20, 2018)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2019, 08:01 AM   #4
philkensebben
Illuminator

Saw this on Facebook and assumed it was a joke.

Which pretty much sums up Gellers claíms.
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2019, 08:07 AM   #5
marting
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dann View Post
like Randi used to say about Geller's claim that he bended spoons "psychically", That would be doing it the hard way. In this case it would be much easier to read the polls:
Exactly my thought. If Brexit is stopped, which is likely, Geller gets to tout his psychic powers. If not, he'll not mention it.
Old 23rd March 2019, 10:30 AM   #6
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marting View Post
Exactly my thought. If Brexit is stopped, which is likely, Geller gets to tout his psychic powers. If not, he'll not mention it.
If not it will be proof that Theresa May has grater mental powers than him. Theresa May!

That would almost be a tiny compensation.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 08:46 AM   #7
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
If not it will be proof that Theresa May has grater mental powers than him. Theresa May!

That would almost be a tiny compensation.
Theresa Maybe.

Nobody really listens to Uri Geller in the UK anymore. I'd be more interested if he said he could expel Jeremy Corbin's horrific past sexual relationship with Diane Abbot from existence.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 07:37 PM   #8
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Now I want Brexit to happen!

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 07:38 PM   #9
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Now I want Brexit to happen!
No you don't.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 07:44 PM   #10
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I've always thought that, even as a kid in the 70s. Even if his ******** "powers" were real, I can bend a spoon in 2 seconds.

Johnny Carson was an amateur magician.. he saw through that crap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqCJDpNnHNI
Old 25th March 2019, 02:52 AM   #11
BillC
Bazooka Joe

News Thump for the win.
BillC is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 06:35 AM   #12
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
I've always thought that, even as a kid in the 70s. Even if his ******** "powers" were real, I can bend a spoon in 2 seconds.

Johnny Carson was an amateur magician.. he saw through that crap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqCJDpNnHNI

Yes, that was brilliant! It's also great that another talkshow host has now taken up the mantle:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 01:25 PM   #13
Armitage72
Illuminator

A number of years ago, I saw Uri Geller on an infomercial promoting a psychic phone line, performing his same old magic tricks. It was both funny and sad.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 03:22 PM   #14
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Last time Gellar made the news was when he was making a big deal about his allged friendship with Michael Jackson the day Jackson died.
Uri is a real class act.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 06:06 PM   #15
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Wasn't he also on the news once complaining about power lines?

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 10:09 AM   #16
Armitage72
Illuminator

Don't forget his lawsuit against Nintendo, claiming that a psychic Pokemon that carried spoons was an appropriation of his identity.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 01:40 PM   #17
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Don't forget his lawsuit against Nintendo, claiming that a psychic Pokemon that carried spoons was an appropriation of his identity.
Wow that's..... Really sad.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 03:01 PM   #18
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I always wondered why the Kadabra/Alakazam carried spoons, that is awesome.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 11:05 AM   #19
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Wait, Uri Geller is still around? As an entity someone deems worthy of attention?

When did the world get this weird.
Old 31st March 2019, 08:08 AM   #20
Wolrab
Illuminator

What's the problem with Brexit using telepathy?
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 08:24 AM   #21
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post

None, if they've paid their 'teley' tax to the EU
Old 31st March 2019, 09:02 AM   #22
Steve001
Graduate Poster

I posted this on a psi sympathetic forum "psience quest" to see what the response would be. Also I remarked the only thing that should not be bent in the publicity photo is his arm.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 12:13 PM   #23
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Old 4th April 2019, 03:58 PM   #24
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
I agree with Wolrab, it's perfectly acceptable to use non existent psychic powers to stop something that had a non existent chance of delivering on the promises they made.

Old 4th April 2019, 04:00 PM   #25
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

He's apparently trying to claim credit for a burst pipe. If only that would stop Brexit.

Old 4th April 2019, 04:52 PM   #26
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
He's apparently trying to claim credit for a burst pipe. If only that would stop Brexit.
Is he also responsible for the leak?

- Randall Munroe
Old 5th April 2019, 12:01 AM   #27
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
My mistake, initial reports were vague about where the water was coming from.

Old 6th April 2019, 04:13 AM   #28
JesseCuster
Muse

Uri Geller once claimed to have stopped a penalty being scored during an England international football game because the if the goal was scored it might have started a crowd trouble. So Uri, who was over the stadium in a helicopter, used his psychic powers to stop the goal being scored.

Nutjob.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2019, 09:18 AM   #29
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
Uri Geller once claimed to have stopped a penalty being scored during an England international football game because the if the goal was scored it might have started a crowd trouble. So Uri, who was over the stadium in a helicopter, used his psychic powers to stop the goal being scored.

Nutjob.
Publicity whore.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 09:53 AM   #30
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Publicity whore.
I would think that that claim would open him up to substantial liability.

Is sport betting legal where this occured?
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 10:00 AM   #31
Belz...
Fiend God

Quote:
Uri Geller promises to stop Brexit using telepathy
He should use spoons, instead.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 10:01 AM   #32
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post

Nutjob.
Geez, at least he could have admitted that he stopped the goal from being scored because he had a bet on the other team.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 05:31 PM   #33
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Turns out...

- Randall Munroe
Old 14th April 2019, 09:51 PM   #34
gigmaster
Scholar

What's he going to do, throw bent spoons at them?
gigmaster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 10:20 PM   #35
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Wait, Uri Geller is still around? As an entity someone deems worthy of attention?

When did the world get this weird.
There may be a couple of generations out there now who have no idea who he is or have even noticed he had something to say.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal