ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th April 2019, 02:07 PM   #1
wasapi
Philosopher

The 'psychics hired by LE' nonsense.

It is my understanding that, in the US, there has never been a psychic who solved a crime by volunteering tips that led to solving a crime, or location of persons/objects. I also recall that no Law Enforcement Agency employees, or seeks psychics to employee.

(The facts I recall came from this sub forum, but I couldn't locate them.) I am looking for links to support this. Recently I came across a long discussion about this on, I believe, Reddit or Quora. It seems to be a popular topic, and the responses are interesting.

And, of course, those with some silly anecdote, retelling how a 'friend of a friends sisters neighbor knew a girl who was missing, and the cops hired a psychic who took them to her body and said the husband did it, and he did.'

OK, a bit of an exaggeration, most are just trying to gather information and facts.

I am wondering if anyone could provide a helpful link? Thanks so much.
Old 15th April 2019, 02:15 PM   #2
8enotto
Muse

Reduce the search parameters. Law enforcement says a psychic solved a cold case and not a phychic claims to have done so.

I cannot recall any, usually it's Madame Woo on the trumpet proclaiming her success.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 05:59 PM   #3
Axxman300
Illuminator

In most of the cases where police have consulted a psychic these are usually smaller town, or rural county law enforcement agencies who are at the end of their rope conventionally speaking, The psychic consultation is almost always a result of pressure from the victim's family, and usually done as a courtesy.

Almost every case where the psychic seemed to be right, the conclusion comes after-the-fact when the body is found, and the detective (and family) back-engineer the psychic's clues to match the crime scene, or where the body was found. You know, "The body is near water/the body is near a road with trees/I see the numbers 9 and 4, there is a red barn near the body, you will find the body near some old tires, etc..."

Personally I can't point to a case where the psychic directly led police to a dead body.
Old 15th April 2019, 06:12 PM   #4
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
In most of the cases where police have consulted a psychic these are usually smaller town, or rural county law enforcement agencies who are at the end of their rope conventionally speaking, The psychic consultation is almost always a result of pressure from the victim's family, and usually done as a courtesy.

Almost every case where the psychic seemed to be right, the conclusion comes after-the-fact when the body is found, and the detective (and family) back-engineer the psychic's clues to match the crime scene, or where the body was found. You know, "The body is near water/the body is near a road with trees/I see the numbers 9 and 4, there is a red barn near the body, you will find the body near some old tires, etc..."

Personally I can't point to a case where the psychic directly led police to a dead body.
Thank you. It has been several years, but it seemed there was a poster here named, perhaps, sherlock, who had several links.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:38 PM   #5
dann
Philosopher

Did you see this one? http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1#post12665681
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 10:12 PM   #6
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Almost every case where the psychic seemed to be right, the conclusion comes after-the-fact when the body is found, and the detective (and family) back-engineer the psychic's clues to match the crime scene, or where the body was found. You know....

... the body is near water (and how often do murderers dispose of their victims' bodies in and near lakes, stream and rivers)

... the body is near a road with trees (and how many country roads - frequently used to for disposal of murder victims' bodies - have trees near them)

... I see the numbers 9 and 4 (and how many numbers between 1 and 100 have a "9" and a "4" in them. - answer 36 - better that 1 in 3 chance of a "hit")

... there is a red barn near the body, you will find the body near some old tires, etc... (Red barns are a dime a dozen in rural America)

Given that psychics only ever seem to get involved in cases where the victim is missing, I'm frankly surprised they don't have a better success rate given the very restricted types of areas where the bodies might be, and the very general terms in which they couch their "predictions".
Old 16th April 2019, 12:04 AM   #7
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Given that psychics only ever seem to get involved in cases where the victim is missing, I'm frankly surprised they don't have a better success rate given the very restricted types of areas where the bodies might be, and the very general terms in which they couch their "predictions".
And if it's a local psychic they know where the dumping grounds are and what kind of victims are usually dumped where. In my area there is the Old Stage Road where odds are if you check the spots where trash is illegally dumped on a random day you have a good chance of finding a dead gang-banger, or gang-banger's girlfriend.
Old 16th April 2019, 03:40 AM   #8
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Here's one thread: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=278637
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 05:07 AM   #9
Ernie M
Muse

Search archive.org for "commentarybysherlock.com"

Some archived pages have redirected links to pages other than original commentarybysherlock.com content.

"Crash charade Part 3 - FBI support and deceptions before millions of TV viewers" talks about self-proclaimed "psychic detective" Noreen Renier and her purported work with the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation).

Former FBI Special Agent Robert Ressler apparently believed in the paranormal, and according to the article, had strong personal ties with Renier, and helped promote Renier.

The FBI seal on Renier's book, "Médium : Enquetrice pour le FBI," French edition, was used without authorization, according to commentarybysherlock.com.

Renier "was never involved with the FBI on any official investigation," according to commentarybysherlock.com.

Noreen Renier never solved a case using psychic powers.

Source:
commentarybysherlock.com. " Crash charade Part 3 - FBI support and deceptions before millions of TV viewers" 19 Dec 2014 version.
http:[delete these words and brackets]//www.commentarybysherlock.com/commentarybysherlock/runwaypart3.asp accessed 16 April 2019 from archive.org

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.

Last edited by Ernie M; 16th April 2019 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Deleted a sentence.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 05:29 AM   #10
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Red barns are a dime a dozen in rural America.
I don't want to derail the thread, but this is no longer true. The traditional "red barn" is becoming more rare every year. The old red-painted wooden barns are rotting away into non-existence. Newer barn-like buildings are only sometimes colored red.
Old 16th April 2019, 05:38 AM   #11
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

One of the earlier well-publicized cases of “psychic” assistance to police was the Boston Strangler case and the Dutch psychic Peter Hurkos.
Hurkos, you may recall, claimed to have attained psychic powers by falling off a roof...

At first, some of Hurkos’ pronouncements seemed to be remarkable.... However, after the arrest was made and more scrutiny was applied, it was apparent that Hurkos insinuated himself very closely into the case, and was allowed a great deal of access to investigative and evidentiary materials.
He was also in the habit of taking the detectives out for “drinks” after work and getting them drunk enough to tell inside details.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 05:51 AM   #12
Senex
Philosopher

I've wondered if anyone who knew where a body was buried ever gave that information to a psychic. The psychic might comply and pass it on to authorities to get a "hit" and some notoriety and the person who knew where the body was buried stays away from law enforcement.

I remember a teacher in college once asking the class if they knew what you would call a person who could lead police to a crime scene using mental powers. I answered, "A suspect."
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 06:03 AM   #13
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

A link I don't have, but my agency had it's share of walk-in "psychics" volunteering their services.

SOP was to listen to them, pat them on the head, thank them and show them the door - all in a very nice professional manner.

I don't know of a single case of a psychic providing useful information to a LEA.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 06:16 AM   #14
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Senex View Post
I remember a teacher in college once asking the class if they knew what you would call a person who could lead police to a crime scene using mental powers. I answered, "A suspect."

There was a episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit in which a psychic, played by Martin Short, offered help in locating the latest victim of a serial kidnapper and rapist. When his information led to her corpse, Detective Stabler immediately assumed that he was involved in the crime and started investigating him as a suspect. It turned out that Short's character was the kidnapper and rapist.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 06:29 AM   #15
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The near water, road with trees, 9 and 4 would cover the entire Greater London conurbation and probably anywhere a body could be found in the UK that wasn't in the sea.
Old 16th April 2019, 08:09 AM   #16
Pope130
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
There was a episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit in which a psychic, played by Martin Short, offered help in locating the latest victim of a serial kidnapper and rapist. When his information led to her corpse, Detective Stabler immediately assumed that he was involved in the crime and started investigating him as a suspect. It turned out that Short's character was the kidnapper and rapist.
There was a Criminal Minds episode with a psychic giving them advice. He told them the body would be found near water. The murder took place in Seattle Washington. Depending on your definition of "near", everything is near water in Seattle.

Last edited by Pope130; 16th April 2019 at 08:50 AM.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 08:28 AM   #17
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Obviously many psychics simply lie about their "successful" contributions to LOE. In addition it must be noted that use of terms such as "providing information to the police" does not mean that that information was in anyway accurate or useful. Particularly, as noted upthread, if it was such generic information as to inevitably match almost any future outcome or was based on insider information (in its ultimate form, information obtained as the perpetrator).
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 10:50 AM   #18
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychic_detective
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 12:15 PM   #19
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Thanks much.

I sure did like your citation, especially like the second paragraph which states:

Quote:
Although there are documented cases where individuals claiming psychic abilities have assisted police in solving crimes, there is considerable skepticism in regard to the general use of psychics under these circumstances.[1][2] Many police departments around the world have released official statements saying that they do not regard psychics as credible or useful on cases.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 01:50 PM   #20
wasapi
Philosopher

Sylvia Browne was the worst. A human horror show, devoid of a shred of decency. Back when she was a guess on Montel, she told a family their missing daughter was in China. With Sylvia's clues and nonsense, the family used their life savings to go to China and find the girl.

While there, the child was found murdered and buried close to her home.

I still recall the blind rage I felt towards Sylvia. I'm so glad she is gone for good.
Old 16th April 2019, 01:50 PM   #21
Ernie M
Muse

"Police and psychics" thread link

Is this the link you were looking for?

Police and psychics

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 02:28 PM   #22
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Sylvia Browne was the worst. A human horror show, devoid of a shred of decency. Back when she was a guess on Montel, she told a family their missing daughter was in China. (Snip.
Best typo ever.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 02:35 PM   #23
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Best typo ever.
Oh, great catch!
Old 16th April 2019, 02:36 PM   #24
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ernie M View Post
Is this the link you were looking for?

Police and psychics
Yes, thank you. It was Sherlock.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal