ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th July 2019, 01:37 PM   #121
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Cornwallis of Yorktown just didn't understand the strategic importance of air superiority.
Subsitute "Naval Superiotity" and you are actually right......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 02:04 PM   #122
Parsman
Muse

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Lol ok have to give you that one Zig. Especially at the big horse racing events and weddings here in Scotland. A kilt can get pretty gaudy at times.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 04:21 PM   #123
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Subsitute "Naval Superiotity" and you are actually right......
Oh, I think he understood it. He understood perfectly well that he didn't have it.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 10:37 PM   #124
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

I don't get why anyone would celebrate the USandA.

It's the worst country on the planet. You should all be ashamed.
Old 9th July 2019, 10:45 PM   #125
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Personally I'm more concerned with putting the US flag, or any flag, on towels or bikini bottoms, but hey, free country.
Given some bikini bottoms lately, there's precious little flag on display to be offended by...!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 03:53 PM   #126
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
I don't get why anyone would celebrate the USandA.

It's the worst country on the planet. You should all be ashamed.

This is the kind of mindless hatred of the US which has infected quite a bit of the European Left.
At times I think we should do what they want:withdraw completely from any involvement outside the US and basically give Russia Hegenmony over Europe. I wonder if they will like the results.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 10th July 2019 at 03:55 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 04:38 PM   #127
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

This is the kind of mindless hatred of the US which has infected quite a bit of the European Left.
At times I think we should do what they want:withdraw completely from any involvement outside the US and basically give Russia Hegenmony over Europe. I wonder if they will like the results.
Don't know why you think the "European Left" (is there actually such thing, btw?) would bother to indulge in mindless hatred of the USA. Plenty of people and groups actively do not "love" or even admire the USA. But "mindless hatred" is such a waste of time. Perhaps the notion comes the the US idea that all "enemies" must be "mindlessly hated". Your enemies don't think like that so much.

More accurately, they do not appreciate certain policies and actions of certain US administrations, and are not afraid to say so and even take action about it. Lots of non-US countries have this view, if you really want to know. Even in Australia there are skeptical or even frankly anti-US sentiments, and we are one of your closest allies.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 05:53 PM   #128
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Don't know why you think the "European Left" (is there actually such thing, btw?) would bother to indulge in mindless hatred of the USA. Plenty of people and groups actively do not "love" or even admire the USA. But "mindless hatred" is such a waste of time. Perhaps the notion comes the the US idea that all "enemies" must be "mindlessly hated". Your enemies don't think like that so much.

More accurately, they do not appreciate certain policies and actions of certain US administrations, and are not afraid to say so and even take action about it. Lots of non-US countries have this view, if you really want to know. Even in Australia there are skeptical or even frankly anti-US sentiments, and we are one of your closest allies.
I am talking about a specific poster who said the US was "the worst country on earth",

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th July 2019, 06:50 PM   #129
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I am talking about a specific poster who said the US was "the worst country on earth",
To be fair, there's probably an intersectional argument to be made that the US is indeed the worst country on earth.

I think that argument would probably fail though, since most versions of it would necessarily include Russia and China at the intersection where the argument takes place.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 07:14 PM   #130
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Were they specifically part of the "European Left"? How so?

Also, it's hyperbole.
Old 10th July 2019, 07:40 PM   #131
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump's Fourth of July celebration helped bankrupt DC security fund

Quote:
Donald Trump’s “Salute to America” Fourth of July event in Washington and subsequent protests cost the District of Columbia’s security fund $1.7m, a sum that has contributed to the bankruptcy of the fund, according to the mayor of Washington DC

In a letter to the president released on Tuesday, the Democratic mayor Muriel Bowser said the fund is estimated to be running a $6m deficit for the fiscal year, attributing the deficit to declining reserves, increased demand for heightened security and $7.3m in costs related to Trump’s 2017 inauguration.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...on-dc-bankrupt
Old 11th July 2019, 02:12 AM   #132
Lurch
Muse

About the US being "the worst country."

For the so called best nation on the planet, that the US scores so poorly in so many areas of import should be taken as shameful by her citizens. Strip away its powerful military (whose costs exceed that of the next several of the closest competitors *combined*), what's really left to make the US so great among nations? If "life, liberty and happiness" are the fiducials by which to measure this, many countries fare rather better.

To those who look to the US as a kind of shining beacon, the disappointment at her descent can lead to a frustrated cry of "worst".
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:07 AM   #133
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Highest incarceration rate in the world, with 25% of all prisoners in a 7.5 billion world held by a country of 327 million is indeed something that the US is the worst at.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics