ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , political predictions , prediction threads

View Poll Results: What are the chances that Donald Trump will end up in prison?
100% 3 3.53%
75% 5 5.88%
50% 13 15.29%
25% 15 17.65%
0% - Donald Trump has a better chance of ending up on Planet X. 49 57.65%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Old 11th July 2019, 03:01 PM   #81
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,962
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I didn't know "We have to wait until 2020" disqualified something as "a win."
Gotcha. In the vast arsenal of ways to deal with Trump now, Democrats should just wait until 2020. Very sage advice.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 03:13 PM   #82
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 35,611
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Gotcha. In the vast arsenal of ways to deal with Trump now, Democrats should just wait until 2020. Very sage advice.
In the vast arsenal of ways to deal with Trump now, what's your weapon of choice, and why?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 03:33 PM   #83
BrooklynBaby
Muse
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 842
What are the chances AOC will call Pelosi a racist?
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 03:35 PM   #84
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 259
what a circle j**k.
__________________
"There is no sin except stupidity."
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 04:57 PM   #85
wasapi
Philosopher
 
wasapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,134
I played it safe and voted 50/50. My desire for him to go to prison is powerful. However, realistically, he continues to surprise me. Daily.
__________________
Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:04 PM   #86
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF
 
Shalamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Somewhere Else
Posts: 4,512
Zero percent, The chances are basically 0.
__________________

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:20 PM   #87
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 21,837
He is, of course, older than dirt me. He's obese, has a terrible diet, and gets no exercise. (Other than his thumbs, of course.) Even if he's defeated in '20 is indicted after leaving office, he'll likely be dead before seeing the inside of club fed.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 06:22 PM   #88
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,962
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
In the vast arsenal of ways to deal with Trump now, what's your weapon of choice, and why?
My weapon of choice is at least one of the Constitutional ones. Trump demonstrates cognitive decline almost every day, so 25th Amendment. Alternatively, his crimes have been spelled out clearly. Impeachment is a reasonable response to obstruction of justice, per McConnell. I'd wager that the vast majority of Trump supporters are such because they are ignorant of his crimes, and the law (and probably a lot more, but let's table that for now). Public trials tend to make even head-in-the-sand establishment Republicans aware of more facts.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 06:29 PM   #89
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 7,976
What are the chances? Pretty low...but not because he doesn't deserve to be there. He'll be protected by people like Barr and Kavanaugh.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 06:39 PM   #90
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 35,611
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
My weapon of choice is at least one of the Constitutional ones. Trump demonstrates cognitive decline almost every day, so 25th Amendment.
Interesting. The 25th requires the cooperation of his cabinet to get it started, or else the cooperation of a review board established by law.

In order to use this weapon, Democrats would either have to convince the cabinet to act, or else somehow pass a law establishing a separate review board, by a veto-proof majority. And even then, they'd have to hope that the review board was willing to make the assessment you require.

This seems like such a long shot, that if Pelosi used this weapon successfully, she'd be one of the greatest snipers of all time.

Quote:
Alternatively, his crimes have been spelled out clearly. Impeachment is a reasonable response to obstruction of justice, per McConnell. I'd wager that the vast majority of Trump supporters are such because they are ignorant of his crimes, and the law (and probably a lot more, but let's table that for now). Public trials tend to make even head-in-the-sand establishment Republicans aware of more facts.
This seems like a more reasonable weapon to use, constitution-wise. Even if it fails, the public trial would likely affect the outcome in 2020, if your theory about Trump supporters is correct.

On the other hand, the problem isn't really Trump supporters, but rather swing voters in key states who voted for Trump in 2016 and may or may not vote for him again in 2020. What alienated them in 2016? What will alienate them in 2020?

I know you're hoping to get rid of Trump before the next election, but I don't see the Democrat establishment really making any moves towards that goal. Like it or not, JoeMorgue may be right, that voting in 2020 is your next big chance.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 08:08 PM   #91
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 74,369
I would be satisfied with a perp walk and at least a day before he could bond out.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 10:36 PM   #92
Lambchops
Graduate Poster
 
Lambchops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Norvegr
Posts: 1,361
Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Zero percent, The chances are basically 0.
Yep. The rich and powerful do not go to jail. That's just how the system works.

Meanwhile, us "little people" might have to spend years locked up for smoking a joint. Or stealing a loaf of bread so our children don't starve to death.

And we call this "democracy". And "freedom". What a joke.
__________________
Your grandchildren will be brown, trans, and Islamo-Communist.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 10:45 PM   #93
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 8,500
Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
Yep. The rich and powerful do not go to jail. That's just how the system works.
True.
But once out of office, Trump might end up being neither.
__________________
Careful! That tree's bark is worse than its bite.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 10:53 PM   #94
Lambchops
Graduate Poster
 
Lambchops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Norvegr
Posts: 1,361
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
True.
But once out of office, Trump might end up being neither.
Nah. Once you are in, you can just claim that you still have a crapload of money, and that will protect you.

Once an elite, always an elite.

He can keep screwing over contractors and raping little girls until the day he dies. Nothing is going to happen to him.

Unless we actually pull our heads out of our asses, and demand change. But that's not going to happen, because we've all been indoctrinated to think that we are living in the perfect system, and we are all really happy with that.. Capitalism can do no wrong. Right?
__________________
Your grandchildren will be brown, trans, and Islamo-Communist.

Last edited by Lambchops; 11th July 2019 at 10:56 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 12:22 PM   #95
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,962
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Interesting. The 25th requires the cooperation of his cabinet to get it started, or else the cooperation of a review board established by law.

In order to use this weapon, Democrats would either have to convince the cabinet to act, or else somehow pass a law establishing a separate review board, by a veto-proof majority. And even then, they'd have to hope that the review board was willing to make the assessment you require.

This seems like such a long shot, that if Pelosi used this weapon successfully, she'd be one of the greatest snipers of all time.
I don't know about that. I've been assured that the GOP establishment all hate Trump, so this seems like an easy way for them to get rid of him and get a guy like Pence in that they probably like better. Trump's making it even easier with all the "acting" members of his cabinet, too. If they can't vote, that's fewer people required to make a majority.

All Pelosi has to do is convince them to act in their own best interests, as they always do anyway.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 12:26 PM   #96
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,548
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Gotcha. In the vast arsenal of ways to deal with Trump now, Democrats should just wait until 2020. Very sage advice.
I'm not getting what the snark is about.

Yes I'm saying beating Trump in the next election is the best idea. I'm honestly confused as to what the confusion/backlash is about here.

There's no viable way to take Trump out politically or legally without political power. In a democracy you get politically power by getting elected.

Where in that do I start speaking gibberish?
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 12:41 PM   #97
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 44,159
Zero, sadly.
But at the moment I would accept immunity for Trump from prosecution in return for his resigination.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 01:28 PM   #98
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 7,976
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
I don't know about that. I've been assured that the GOP establishment all hate Trump, so this seems like an easy way for them to get rid of him and get a guy like Pence in that they probably like better. Trump's making it even easier with all the "acting" members of his cabinet, too. If they can't vote, that's fewer people required to make a majority.

All Pelosi has to do is convince them to act in their own best interests, as they always do anyway.
According to now (ex-GOP) Independent Rep. Julian Amash:

Quote:
"When I was discussing impeachment, I had fellow colleagues and other Republicans, high-level officials, contacting me, saying, 'Thank you for what youíre doing,'" he added. "So there are lots of Republicans out there who are saying these things privately, but there not saying it publicly, and I think thatís a problem for our country."
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...pporting-trump

Chicken **** cowards will say it in private but kiss Trump's ass in public. Shame on them.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 02:21 PM   #99
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,962
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm not getting what the snark is about.

Yes I'm saying beating Trump in the next election is the best idea. I'm honestly confused as to what the confusion/backlash is about here.

There's no viable way to take Trump out politically or legally without political power. In a democracy you get politically power by getting elected.

Where in that do I start speaking gibberish?
It's not gibberish. It's simply extremely unhelpful advice. It's the same sort of non-answer "drive faster" is to a question of how to win a car race. Captain obvious level stuff that is so vague and vapid that it's not a serious answer.

When we're talking about how Democrats should deal with Trump now, saying beat him in the next election actually falls even short of the feebleness of that. The answer to dealing with something in the present being to have something happen over a year in the future is not even wrong levels of non-comprehension of the question.

So yeah, I'll give a snarky response to such an answer.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 02:28 PM   #100
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,833
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
So yeah, I'll give a snarky response to such an answer.
How as your answer about the 25th amendment supposed to be any better? There are neither Democrats in the cabinet to speak of nor cabinet members posting here. So how is that supposed to be something we can make happen now?
__________________
REJ (Robert E Jones) posting anonymously under my real name for 30 years.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 02:30 PM   #101
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,962
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
According to now (ex-GOP) Independent Rep. Julian Amash:


https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...pporting-trump

Chicken **** cowards will say it in private but kiss Trump's ass in public. Shame on them.
Amash is what, the 3rd Congresscritter to leave Congress or leave the GOP over Trump? Out of almost 300 R's in Congress over the 2016 and 2018 elections? Even with Flake and (I forget the other one), they'd make speeches and write letters about how awful Trump was, but vote for everything Trump wanted, so I expect Amash to do the same. I just don't buy the claim that the GOP wants to get rid of him when the GOP can actually do just that via the 25th Amendment or impeachment with facts that are already publicly available, yet they choose not to.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 02:34 PM   #102
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,962
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
How as your answer about the 25th amendment supposed to be any better? There are neither Democrats in the cabinet to speak of nor cabinet members posting here. So how is that supposed to be something we can make happen now?
I thought the question was what Democrats can do, not what "we, on this forum" can do. JoeMorgue began this whole offshoot by saying that Democrats should be wary of using impeachment, indictments, and investigations. We on this forum cannot do any of that stuff. Congresscritters can.

eta: Also, the Democrats can attempt to persuade the the few remaining actual, as opposed to acting, cabinet members. It's definitely a long shot, but it's not such an empty response as 'do nothing, just wait til the next election'.

Last edited by wareyin; 12th July 2019 at 02:40 PM. Reason: misspelled his name. Sorry Joe!
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 02:37 PM   #103
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,833
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
I thought the question was what Democrats can do, not what "we, on this forum" can do.

I asked about both. How can Democrats take over the cabinet?
__________________
REJ (Robert E Jones) posting anonymously under my real name for 30 years.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 02:42 PM   #104
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,962
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I asked about both. How can Democrats take over the cabinet?
answered in my edit. Of course, taking over the cabinet is not on the table. Trump isn't replacing cabinet members when they leave, just doing an end run around the Constitution with "acting" members.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 04:20 PM   #105
d4m10n
Illuminator
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 4,032
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Amash is what, the 3rd Congresscritter to leave Congress or leave the GOP over Trump? Out of almost 300 R's in Congress over the 2016 and 2018 elections? Even with Flake and (I forget the other one), they'd make speeches and write letters about how awful Trump was, but vote for everything Trump wanted, so I expect Amash to do the same.
Is there anything philosophically inconsistent about supporting conservative policies / judicial nominees while at the same time believing Trump is unfit for office on account of unrelated egregious abuses of presidential power (e.g. repeated obstruction of American efforts to investigate and defend against undeclared cyberwar waged by enemies abroad, pressuring DOJ & FBI to investigate and prosecute political adversaries, etc.).
__________________
I'm a happy SINner on the Skeptic Ink Network!
Background Probability: Against Irrationality, Innumeracy, and Ignobility
http://skepticink.com/backgroundprobability/

Last edited by d4m10n; 12th July 2019 at 04:25 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 04:33 PM   #106
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 7,976
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Is there anything philosophically inconsistent about supporting conservative policies / judicial nominees while at the same time believing Trump is unfit for office on account of unrelated egregious abuses of presidential power (e.g. repeated obstruction of American efforts to investigate and defend against undeclared cyberwar waged by enemies abroad, pressuring DOJ & FBI to investigate and prosecute political adversaries, etc.).
Exactly. Where the cowardice comes in is in the private criticism vs the public support or public silence when it comes to Trump. They're all scared ****less of him. Sadly, they have reason to be.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 09:17 PM   #107
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,366
Away to Elba with him!
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 10:23 PM   #108
Lurch
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 810
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
According to now (ex-GOP) Independent Rep. Julian Amash:


https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...pporting-trump

Chicken **** cowards will say it in private but kiss Trump's ass in public. Shame on them.
Too true! Simpering, self-interested cowards who do not possess the courage to render as real an erstwhile conviction. Such pond scum have no business in positions of any kind of leadership or power. One of the most egregious of that lot is Graham, upon whom the spirit of McCain--if an afterlife awaits us all--must glower most disprovingly.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 05:54 AM   #109
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 18,314
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Gotcha. In the vast arsenal of ways to deal with Trump now, Democrats should just wait until 2020. Very sage advice.
I agree. It's important that the world see the American electorate put the anti America forces that elected Trump in their place and redeem the "sin" of allowing the Trump presidency.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:54 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.