ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Mississippi elections , Mississippi politics , Robert Foster , sexual harassment issues

Old 11th July 2019, 10:17 PM   #1
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Mississippi Gubernatorial Candidate can't be alone with a woman not his wife

OMG here's another one of these loons.

NPR: Mississippi Gubernatorial Candidate's Condition For Female Reporter: Bring A Man
Quote:
Robert Foster made a promise to his high school sweetheart before they got married: he would never be alone with another woman he wasn't related to under any circumstances, be it in an office, a farm or a truck.

On Sunday that meant denying a female journalist's request to ride along with him as he campaigned to become Mississippi's next governor — unless she agreed to bring a male colleague along for the trip.

"I put my wife and my Christian beliefs above anyone else's feelings or opinions ... and I did not want there to be a perception that I was riding with another female and that something promiscuous was going on or anything like that," Foster, a first-term Republican state representative, explained to NPR.
This is bizarre. Is this in the Bible somewhere? Are they afraid of temptation? Of being falsely accused?

Does it apply to elderly women?

That's not romantic, it's creepy. Where's the trust in that relationship?

Do they realize this might be in compliance with Sharia Law?
Old 11th July 2019, 10:24 PM   #2
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Ya'll Qaeda
Old 11th July 2019, 10:29 PM   #3
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

If he aims high enough, he can be the next Vice President.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 10:32 PM   #4
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I thought of another possible reason. These guys are insecure and what they really want is their wives to make the same pledge not to be alone with a man.
Old 11th July 2019, 10:44 PM   #5
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

That's the kind of promise a closet homosexual makes.
Old 11th July 2019, 10:59 PM   #6
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Hmm... You might be on to something here.
Old 11th July 2019, 11:26 PM   #7
Venom
Master Poster

The slippery slope!
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 11:43 PM   #8
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Could just force her into a burka so he won't see any tempting flesh.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 11:49 PM   #9
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Possibly, but I think that it's a calculated attack on the press and the #metoo movement. He is saying that she would fabricate a sexual assault allegation against him because she is part of a left wing conspiracy against "right minded" people.

This is the same message that President Trump is selling - the press is against me and women always lie when they allege sexual assault - so it's likely to be lapped up by the Mississippi GOP.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 11:53 PM   #10
rdaneel
Illuminator

I would love to see someone ask him why men don't need to be chaperoned.
If his word that he did nothing wrong with a woman he was alone with isn't trustworthy, then how can a claim that he's straight and wouldn't do anything wrong with a man be any more trustworthy?
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 12:02 AM   #11
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdaneel View Post
I would love to see someone ask him why men don't need to be chaperoned.
If his word that he did nothing wrong with a woman he was alone with isn't trustworthy, then how can a claim that he's straight and wouldn't do anything wrong with a man be any more trustworthy?
The issue isn't that he is concerned that he may not be able to contain his lustful thoughts, it's that the reporter will make a false claim of sexual assault against him because she is part of that huge left wing conspiracy - the free press.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 12:21 AM   #12
rdaneel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The issue isn't that he is concerned that he may not be able to contain his lustful thoughts, it's that the reporter will make a false claim of sexual assault against him because she is part of that huge left wing conspiracy - the free press.
But if I were an evil liberal wanting to damage his career, then having a man claim he was sexually assaulted would be just as effective wouldn't it? Even better if I can get a high school kid working for his school newspaper alone with him.
He's really underestimating the left wing conspiracy isn't he?
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 12:24 AM   #13
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
The slippery slope!
We love the slippery slope, folks. We Love to see it.
Old 12th July 2019, 12:33 AM   #14
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Well, the reporter's hot, but about 25 years too old for Roy Moore, so I guess she's going to have to forego getting ahold of some of that hot fundie man meat all womens want, at least in Missibama(or is that Allassippi).

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 12:39 AM   #15
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdaneel View Post
But if I were an evil liberal wanting to damage his career, then having a man claim he was sexually assaulted would be just as effective wouldn't it? Even better if I can get a high school kid working for his school newspaper alone with him.
He's really underestimating the left wing conspiracy isn't he?
Good call
Old 12th July 2019, 12:45 AM   #16
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Buuhh! The left wing coming to get you! Better watch out!
Old 12th July 2019, 03:33 AM   #17
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It always seems to be the ugly ones who go in terror that everybody wants to seduce them. Dude looks like Chucky, he's probably safe.
Old 12th July 2019, 03:45 AM   #18
Minoosh
Philosopher

And am I the only person in the world who thinks Pence might be in the closet?

Maybe just because I want to think the worst about him. Not the sexuality; the hypocrisy.

Last edited by Minoosh; 12th July 2019 at 03:52 AM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 04:26 AM   #19
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

time well spent
Old 12th July 2019, 06:20 AM   #20
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Possibly, but I think that it's a calculated attack on the press and the #metoo movement. He is saying that she would fabricate a sexual assault allegation against him because she is part of a left wing conspiracy against "right minded" people.
Well, officially he is saying it is a "moral" issue. Which means that, if you what say is true, he is lying. So not quite so moral.
Old 12th July 2019, 06:21 AM   #21
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
OMG here's another one of these loons.

NPR: Mississippi Gubernatorial Candidate's Condition For Female Reporter: Bring A ManThis is bizarre. Is this in the Bible somewhere? Are they afraid of temptation? Of being falsely accused?

Does it apply to elderly women?

That's not romantic, it's creepy. Where's the trust in that relationship?

Do they realize this might be in compliance with Sharia Law?
"Women have to assume every man is like Jeffrey Dahmer!"

"Please don't keep away from women!"

Pick One.

That being said, this is the unintended consequence of Metoo, where "Can't be accused of harassment if I'm not near a woman!" is now the default in Wall Street, and men are more reluctant to interact socially with women (After all, a miscommunication is now the first sign of turning into the next Jeffrey Dahmer).

Last edited by NWO Sentryman; 12th July 2019 at 06:24 AM.
NWO Sentryman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 06:58 AM   #22
Joe Random
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by NWO Sentryman View Post

Pick One.

That being said, this is the unintended consequence of Metoo, where "Can't be accused of harassment if I'm not near a woman!" is now the default in Wall Street, and men are more reluctant to interact socially with women (After all, a miscommunication is now the first sign of turning into the next Jeffrey Dahmer).
If that were true he'd have been happy to have a male or female chaperone. If the idea is "I don't want to get accused of some BS charge when there are no witnesses around" [at a stretch I could see that being a not-unreasonable stance in some circumstances] then the genital configuration of the third person wouldn't be relevant.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 07:02 AM   #23
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
If that were true he'd have been happy to have a male or female chaperone. If the idea is "I don't want to get accused of some BS charge when there are no witnesses around" [at a stretch I could see that being a not-unreasonable stance in some circumstances] then the genital configuration of the third person wouldn't be relevant.
Yep.

We can end this nonsense of "he is worried about false accusations."

He says explicitly it's not about that (it's about the "morals" of being alone with a woman) and the implications of his comments are that it's not about that.

It's about how he can't be trusted around women.
Old 12th July 2019, 07:05 AM   #24
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
As I said, precedents have been set, and the law of unintended consequences is a merciless beast. It's interesting to note how "Women have every reason to fear that the man next to them is Jeffrey Dahmer!" are now taking pains to say "That doesn't mean isolate us!"

Last edited by NWO Sentryman; 12th July 2019 at 07:07 AM.
NWO Sentryman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 07:08 AM   #25
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Yep.

We can end this nonsense of "he is worried about false accusations."

He says explicitly it's not about that (it's about the "morals" of being alone with a woman) and the implications of his comments are that it's not about that.

It's about how he can't be trusted around women.
I don't think he's worried about them (he's just playing to the gallery IMO), but he has specifically mentioned them:

Quote:
Mr Foster said following the #MeToo movement, "men are under attack all the time".

"I'm not going to allow myself to be put in a situation with any female where they can make an accusation against me" without someone else in attendance, he said.

edited to add link....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48954303
Old 12th July 2019, 07:12 AM   #26
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

As I said, precedents have been set, and the law of unintended consequences is a merciless beast. It's interesting to note how "Women have every reason to fear that the man next to them is Jeffrey Dahmer!" are now taking pains to say "That doesn't mean isolate us!"
If only there were a third option, where women could exist alongside men without unwanted sexual attention.

It is not unreasonable to expect that powerful people will behave appropriately in the workplace. Isolation or harassment of women is a false choice and is rightly mocked.
Old 12th July 2019, 07:18 AM   #27
Joe Random
Graduate Poster

That ... doesn't actually address my point.

Look, I think the whole #metoo thing has gone too far in some cases and I do think in America at least there's a social culture which is pressured to believe accusations first and people have to prove innocence (not just sexual assault claims, either). Which is why I said in some circumstances I could see there being a basis for a man not wanting to spend extended time alone with a woman. But in those cases it would be 100% about the lack of a third party witness who would be able to refute otherwise un-disprovable (is that a word?) claims against the man. As such, the third party having an innie or an outie wouldn't matter in the least. What you'd want is someone with no strong ties to either of you, and not just the 'bring your friend who pees standing up' condition mentioned in the OP.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 07:51 AM   #28
Lurch
Muse

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
time well spent
So glad you're here to spend it with us.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 08:02 AM   #29
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I thought of another possible reason. These guys are insecure and what they really want is their wives to make the same pledge not to be alone with a man.
That's a great point. I confess that I hadn't thought of that possibility.

I heard the CNN interview, and she cleaned his clock, but she missed a few opportunities to do even better. My favorite question was when she asked "if you can't be alone with a woman how are you going to function as governor," to which he answered that he would have doors open at all times and staffers around. She really, really, really should have brought up sharia law; it could have been hilarious for him to defend that.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 09:09 AM   #30
phunk
Illuminator

That being said, this is the unintended consequence of Metoo,
Except in this case he claims to have made that promise before he was married, which puts it more than a decade before MeToo.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 09:09 AM   #31
plague311
Great minds think...

Why the **** would women care if they were sitting next to Jeffrey Dahmer? He was a homosexual who only killed men, 17 of them to be exact. This is the 2nd or 3rd time you've brought him up and for the life of me I can't figure out why. Is he the only murderer you know? Freudian slip?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 09:54 AM   #32
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
Except in this case he claims to have made that promise before he was married, which puts it more than a decade before MeToo.
I noticed that too when the candidate mentioned it on CNN. It was both something that he had promised his wife years ago before they got married AND because of #metoo causing men to be falsely accused all of the time, which isn't true and even if it was, it started not even 2 years ago.

Quote:
It's interesting to note how "Women have every reason to fear that the man next to them is Jeffrey Dahmer!"
Yeah, that Dahmer was a real danger to women.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 09:58 AM   #33
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

So he planned this from before he married his wife?
Old 12th July 2019, 10:02 AM   #34
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Pick One.

@ The Don also:

I don't think there's evidence for this POV. If that were the case, why is it couched in extremist religiosity?
Old 12th July 2019, 10:17 AM   #35
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I don't think he's worried about them (he's just playing to the gallery IMO), but he has specifically mentioned them:

edited to add link....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48954303
This is in your link:
Quote:
He cited the late Christian evangelist Billy Graham, who had said he would not spend time alone with any woman who was not his wife, as well as Vice-President Mike Pence, who has said he will not eat alone with a woman other than his wife.
This is not about #MeToo but it's curious why that's the first thing some people in this thread think.
Old 12th July 2019, 10:18 AM   #36
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I noticed that too when the candidate mentioned it on CNN. It was both something that he had promised his wife years ago before they got married AND because of #metoo causing men to be falsely accused all of the time, which isn't true and even if it was, it started not even 2 years ago..
And notice that, even when there are accusations made about what has happened in one of these private encounters, the defense is usually "Huh? I didn't do anything" but we hear, "She misinterpreted my intentions."

Just like the false accusations of rape are issues of almost never about whether they had sex, but whether it was consensual.
Old 12th July 2019, 10:19 AM   #37
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Why the **** would women care if they were sitting next to Jeffrey Dahmer? He was a homosexual who only killed men, 17 of them to be exact. This is the 2nd or 3rd time you've brought him up and for the life of me I can't figure out why. Is he the only murderer you know? Freudian slip?
Dahmer was more of a "Go to for gruesome serial killers", and such sentiment is popular with "Bowl of M&Ms" logic

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
And Metoo gave it a lot more fuel to keep it going.

Last edited by NWO Sentryman; 12th July 2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12th July 2019, 10:41 AM   #38
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

Dahmer was more of a "Go to for gruesome serial killers", and such sentiment is popular with "Bowl of M&Ms" logic

And Metoo gave it a lot more fuel to keep it going.
In other words, you got nothing.
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 10:50 AM   #39
Ranb
Philosopher

If a person thinks of the Billy graham rule as something akin to a same sex stand-in at the doctor's office, then it makes some sort of sense. But it has a downside.

https://pulpitandpen.org/2016/12/06/...-common-sense/

Quote:
Harrelson said it is unrealistic to expect a female pastor to minister to her flock without ever winding up alone with a church member of the opposite sex.

“Whether you are doing hospital visitations, counseling or worship preparation, there will always be times when you find yourself alone with a member of another gender,” she said. “Rules like the Billy Graham rule only hinder women from stepping fully into the ministries God has called them to.”

Capps said Pence’s rules for marriage are between him and his wife, but his personal values should not influence how he selects professionals to work with him or for him in public service.

“I can see how that could naturally lead to favoring men over women,” she said. “That would be discrimination.”
Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 11:05 AM   #40
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So Robert Foster won't be alone with a woman because she might actually be Jeffrey Dahmer and accuse him of rape.

Sure that makes sense.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics