ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , mental illness issues , psychiatry incidents , psychiatry issues , Trump controversies

Old 9th July 2019, 02:52 PM   #2041
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Which was utterly obvious given that that part of the video was about the "Commander in Chief" whilst discussing the President and Donald Trump and this thread is about Trump's mental health.

It's a bit like Liverpoolmiss on Badscience saying that she wonders who "Individual One" could have been in the Cohen indictment. She managed to narrow it down to someone who was the Republican presidential nominee for 2016...
Well......it's obvious if you actually watched the video. Which leads me to suspect theprestige didn't actually watch it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 03:01 PM   #2042
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Well......it's obvious if you actually watched the video. Which leads me to suspect theprestige didn't actually watch it.
I didn't need to watch the video to know they were talking about the commander in chief. Nor did I need to watch the video to argue that the commander in chief is subjected to exactly the kind of mental health assessment that Dr Lee has carried out. It's not the same kind of assessment servicemen in sensitive positions get. I equivocted on that. Feel free to criticize my argument on this basis if you want.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 03:10 PM   #2043
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I don't have kids. But family operations are quite common.
Trump Inc. is a family operation. The government of the USA is most definitely not.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 03:28 PM   #2044
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

While Reagan was still in office, I can remember by mother often saying "There is something wrong with that man!" She noticed that Nancy was never far from his side and watched him like a hawk, often intervening*.
Nancy then, Ivanka now. History repeating itself.
Old 9th July 2019, 03:46 PM   #2045
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Of course the person who commands them goes through a mental health evaluation. Indeed, they go through exactly the evaluation that Dr Lee has essayed for Trump.
The POTUS does NOT go through a mental health examination nor is it required to be elected or retain the office. That was Dr. Lee's point.

Quote:
The Department of Defense continuously evaluates and monitors personnel who may cause arming or release of a nuclear weapon. Under the Nuclear Weapon Personnel Reliability Program, “Only those personnel who have demonstrated the highest degree of individual reliability for allegiance, trustworthiness, conduct, behavior, and responsibility shall be allowed to perform duties associated with nuclear weapons, and they shall be continuously evaluated for adherence to PRP standards.”

The president, who has the ultimate responsibility for the use of the most devastating weapons in the history of the world, and who has the sole authority to order the murder of millions of people in an instant, has received only a simple, 10-minute cognitive screen.
I didn't need to watch the video to know they were talking about the commander in chief. Nor did I need to watch the video to argue that the commander in chief is subjected to exactly the kind of mental health assessment that Dr Lee has carried out. It's not the same kind of assessment servicemen in sensitive positions get. I equivocted on that. Feel free to criticize my argument on this basis if you want.
So you didn't watch it. I don't think you did know it was the POTUS they were talking about or you'd have said so. I think were referring to active duty commanding officers which would make sense in your first statement above.

How would you know what kind of mental health evaluation Lee was talking about in the video if you didn't watch it? What evidence can you provide that any C in C is subjected to ANY mental health assessment on a regular basis (meaning a test traditionally given to all presidents)?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 04:00 PM   #2046
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Trump Inc. is a family operation. The government of the USA is most definitely not.
I have at least 60 years of First Ladies that says otherwise.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 04:04 PM   #2047
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The POTUS does NOT go through a mental health examination nor is it required to be elected or retain the office. That was Dr. Lee's point.

So you didn't watch it. I don't think you did know it was the POTUS they were talking about or you'd have said so. I think were referring to active duty commanding officers which would make sense in your first statement above.

How would you know what kind of mental health evaluation Lee was talking about in the video if you didn't watch it? What evidence can you provide that any C in C is subjected to ANY mental health assessment on a regular basis (meaning a test traditionally given to all presidents)?
Dr Lee's mental health evaluation of Trump is literally the topic of this thread.
Old 9th July 2019, 04:25 PM   #2048
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I have at least 60 years of First Ladies that says otherwise.
You misunderstand. Trump treats this US government lark as though it is part of Trump Inc. The goals of Trump Inc. are to make profits for Trump Inc. and more importantly for Trump personally. He can run his business like that, no problems. But he, and nobody else either, cannot personally profit from his government executive tax-paid position. There's 200+ year old laws and stuff that say that.

First Ladies being vital to supporting the goals of the president are not "family business". That's normal around the world. But First Ladies and family members injecting themselves into government un-elected and profiting for themselves and/or their families alone is "family business", aka nepotism. Eva Peron, for example. But Ivanka is definitely no Evita. (And Trump is no Peron.)

The mental problem for Trump is that he cannot make this distinction. His world revolves around him alone. There is no such thing as a government/family divide. That's a massive mental problem to be dealing with.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 9th July 2019 at 04:26 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 04:34 PM   #2049
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Dr Lee's mental health evaluation of Trump is literally the topic of this thread.
Sigh. Stop dancing around like you're stepping on hot coals. It ain't workin'.

OUR CURRENT TOPIC is about your statements that I quoted above regarding the POTUS not being given a mental capacity exam unlike military personnel who could deploy nuclear weapons. OUR CURRENT TOPIC is about you making false statements:

Quote:
Of course the person who commands them goes through a mental health evaluation. Indeed, they go through exactly the evaluation that Dr Lee has essayed for Trump.
You were NOT referring to the POTUS as you later claimed:

Quote:
I didn't need to watch the video to know they were talking about the commander in chief.
That is made clear from the second sentence unless you want now claim that "they" is now "Trump".

Stop pulling a Trump. You did NOT know Lee was referring to the POTUS, you did NOT watch the video, and you WERE referring to commanding officers as 'they'.
Old 9th July 2019, 04:51 PM   #2050
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Sigh. Stop dancing around like you're stepping on hot coals. It ain't workin'.

OUR CURRENT TOPIC is about your statements that I quoted above regarding the POTUS not being given a mental capacity exam unlike military personnel who could deploy nuclear weapons. OUR CURRENT TOPIC is about you making false statements:

You were NOT referring to the POTUS as you later claimed:

That is made clear from the second sentence unless you want now claim that "they" is now "Trump".

Stop pulling a Trump. You did NOT know Lee was referring to the POTUS, you did NOT watch the video, and you WERE referring to commanding officers as 'they'.
They is and always has been Trump. He doesn't get the same kind of psych eval as the servicemen who push the button, but he does get one. The statements you're referring to are the statements where I make this exact argument.
Old 9th July 2019, 05:44 PM   #2051
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Quote:

I didn't need to watch the video to know they were talking about the commander in chief. Nor did I need to watch the video to argue that the commander in chief is subjected to exactly the kind of mental health assessment that Dr Lee has carried out.

It's not the same kind of assessment servicemen in sensitive positions get. I equivocted on that. Feel free to criticize my argument on this basis if you want.
1. You can argue it, but that does not make it true. Please provide evidence that any C in C, much less Trump, has been given a mental capacity evaluation. The only mental health test Trump was given was a simple 10 question cognitive test.

2. Earlier you said the evaluations were "exactly the same". Now they're "not the same kind of assessment ". That's not 'equivocating'; that's changing your claim 180 degrees.

They is and always has been Trump. He doesn't get the same kind of psych eval as the servicemen who push the button, but he does get one. The statements you're referring to are the statements where I make this exact argument.
You keep saying the POTUS gets a psych eval but fail to produce any evidence of said evaluation. On the other hand:

Quote:
"Presidents are not required to take psychological or psychiatric evaluations or pass a mental health examination before taking or while serving office in the United States."
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...gically-vetted
Old 9th July 2019, 06:27 PM   #2052
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

1. You can argue it, but that does not make it true. Please provide evidence that any C in C, much less Trump, has been given a mental capacity evaluation. The only mental health test Trump was given was a simple 10 question cognitive test.
Certainly. Exhibit A

Quote:
2. Earlier you said the evaluations were "exactly the same". Now they're "not the same kind of assessment ". That's not 'equivocating'; that's changing your claim 180 degrees.
No. Earlier I said:

they go through exactly the evaluation that Dr Lee has essayed for Trump.
Before we continue, can we at least agree that this is what I said?
Old 9th July 2019, 07:37 PM   #2053
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Is there any truth in the rumor that Pence's trip somewhere was abruptly cancelled?

Eta: I read speculation that Trump had a heart attack, so they yanked Pence back in case it turned serious. Personally I'm more inclined to the theory that Trump got his head stuck in a jar of honey.
What, did Melanie just have another child?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics