ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags border walls , donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 15th February 2019, 11:22 AM   #121
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
US President Donald Trump has confirmed he will use emergency powers to build a wall on Mexico's border, saying "walls work".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47258754
Yeah, they worked great for the French in 1940...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 11:23 AM   #122
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Who needs a congress?

Total waste of money. All you need is a singular king to declare national emergencies and push money around where he wants it to go. Then the king sits back and waits for it to bounce around the courts until he gets his way. Easy peezy.

Welcome to the new monarchy.

#gawdsavetheking

It's called "The Leadership Principal" The will of the Fuehrer/Leader is above all law.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 11:24 AM   #123
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Isn't saying "I didn't need to do this, but I'd rather do it much faster." admitting there isn't actually an emergency?
Contradictions within the same sentence is a Trump specialty.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 11:27 AM   #124
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
So, how are you guys enjoying the hoards of armed Mexicans sweeping up through California and Texas?
Hey. Don't leave out Arizona! They were in our backyard this week, armed with lawn mowers and pruning shears.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 11:49 AM   #125
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

So, how are you guys enjoying the hoards of armed Mexicans sweeping up through California and Texas?
This is where they should be flooding through (only 5 miles from the US/Mexico border)

This is mid-evening last night - no troops, no border guards, and no "invading masses of armed, uneducated brown people bent on murdering US citizens"

Well, where are they all? The only people there are a reporter and his camera crew, and they ain't gonna stop anything; not because they're the only ones there, but because there is no-one to stop; NO invaders, NO illegal migrant emergency at the US/Mexico border. Border crossings are at their lowest levels since the 1950s! This emergency is a fiction, created by Der Trumpenführer, supported by Faux News.

There is a real emergency at the border though; a humanitarian crisis created by Trump himself - the separation of families and the appalling conditions under which people are being imprisoned that have lead directly to the deaths of children. No wall is ever going to fix this.

Last edited by smartcooky; 15th February 2019 at 11:59 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 11:54 AM   #126
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Call in the 2nd Amendment people.
This is increasingly looking like becoming the most viable solution.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 11:57 AM   #127
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
This is where they should be flooding through

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgtez0srjy...Wall.png?raw=1
This is mid-evening last night - no troops, no border guards, and no "invading masses of armed, uneducated brown people bent on murdering US citizens"

Well, where are they all?
This was staged by the Liberal Media!!! They cleared the crowd out of that 200 foot area just to show a seemingly empty field just to fool the public into thinking that there are not millions of brown people coming into the USA every day.

This is what an un-staged image of the border looks like at one of the few walled areas.

All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 12:00 PM   #128
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

This is increasingly looking like becoming the most viable solution.
I don't think it's viable at all, considering it would require his cabinet members to turn on him en mass. He's hired spineless idiots for a reason.
Old 15th February 2019, 12:04 PM   #129
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I don't think it's viable at all, considering it would require his cabinet members to turn on him en mass. He's hired spineless idiots for a reason.
2nd amendment being discussed, not 25th.

ETA: Which I disagree with BTW. I don't think it's ever appropriate to call for assassinations. I was a little kid in the 60s and thought it was just routine for public figures to be blown away.

Last edited by Minoosh; 15th February 2019 at 12:06 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 12:04 PM   #130
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

This was staged by the Liberal Media!!! They cleared the crowd out of that 200 foot area just to show a seemingly empty field just to fool the public into thinking that there are not millions of brown people coming into the USA every day.

This is what an un-staged image of the border looks like at one of the few walled areas.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...70b8911380.jpg
Well given Trump's propensity for believing that what he see in movies is actually happening in reality, it would not surprise me in the least if that screenshot (from "World War Z" ?) is what he really thinks is happening at the US Mexico border.
Old 15th February 2019, 12:06 PM   #131
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

You're thinking of the 25th amendment, not the second amendment.

"2A solution" is a euphemism for assassination.

ETA: Ninja'd by Minoosh

Last edited by smartcooky; 15th February 2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 15th February 2019, 12:07 PM   #132
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

He said 2nd amendment, not 25th.

Second amendment requires only one guy. Doesn't even have to be part of the cabinet.

Wonder if we could convince John Hinckley that Trump had an affair with Jodie Foster?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 12:08 PM   #133
Lothian
should be banned

Sorry, I am with Trump on this one. There is a humanitarian crisis on the southern border. If that is not a national emergency I don't know what is. It is only right that the President diverts otherwise allocated funds to send food, aid, shelter, clothing etc to these poor desperate people.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 12:09 PM   #134
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
That was, without a doubt, the worst speech I have ever seen.

Has he signed the bill from last night already?
Report at 1400 EST (2pm) says that he has signed the National Emergency Bill, but not signed the Budget Bill yet. This could still go even more crazy.
Old 15th February 2019, 12:09 PM   #135
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know why I saw 25th, where it says 2nd amendment, but I agree with others that an assassination would be a disaster. Trumpanzees would immediately have a violent revolt, I'm sure. Heck, if Trump died of natural causes, such as a mac-heart attack, they would probably have a violent revolt.
Old 15th February 2019, 12:10 PM   #136
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Sorry, I am with Trump on this one. There is a humanitarian crisis on the southern border. If that is not a national emergency I don't know what is. It is only right that the President diverts otherwise allocated funds to send food, aid, shelter, clothing etc to these poor desperate people.
If only that was what he did. It is sad that he's simply going to exacerbate the humanitarian crisis on the border that he created.
Old 15th February 2019, 12:13 PM   #137
Mumbles
Philosopher

Isn't saying "I didn't need to do this, but I'd rather do it much faster." admitting there isn't actually an emergency?
I'm glad someone else noticed that.

Again, his advisors should have just had him tell the cultists at hit hate-athons that the wall was being built. they'd trust him. But, since Dolt 45 is obviously stupid, he just goes and snitches on himself yet again.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 12:21 PM   #138
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
2nd amendment being discussed, not 25th.

ETA: Which I disagree with BTW. I don't think it's ever appropriate to call for assassinations. I was a little kid in the 60s and thought it was just routine for public figures to be blown away.
I think they are not calling for assdination per se but armed resistence to a tyranny...you know,how this country got started?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th February 2019, 12:22 PM   #139
Belz...
Fiend God

Who said that?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 12:24 PM   #140
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Boy .are you ignorant if that is what you think Trump want to do with the money he wants.
And you are totally ignorant of why the National Emergency declaration is so damn dangerous to Democracy.
Unless you are being sarcastic, in which case I apologizes.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th February 2019, 12:24 PM   #141
Belz...
Fiend God

I don't know why I saw 25th, where it says 2nd amendment, but I agree with others that an assassination would be a disaster. Trumpanzees would immediately have a violent revolt, I'm sure.
I think Trump staying until the next election is the best solution, and the Democrats know this. The alternative is Pence. You think Pence would be a do-nothing, no-deal-with-the-GOP president like Trump?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 12:25 PM   #142
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Hey. Don't leave out Arizona! They were in our backyard this week, armed with lawn mowers and pruning shears.
My apologies.

The only reason I didn't mention Arizona is my tentative grasp on US geography.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 12:28 PM   #143
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think they are not calling for assdination per se but armed resistence to a tyranny...you know,how this country got started?
The French are going to send a bucktoad of gunpowder?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 12:28 PM   #144
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I think Trump staying until the next election is the best solution, and the Democrats know this. The alternative is Pence. You think Pence would be a do-nothing, no-deal-with-the-GOP president like Trump?
Pence is a weak, stupid nutjob who believes that Devine Providence will give him everything, hence he won't have to fight for anything.
Pelosi could crush him, just by asking for a 1 on 1 meeting.
Trump is far, far worse than Pence, and impeaching him is a necessary exorcism if we want to prevent similar demagogues in the future.
Old 15th February 2019, 12:30 PM   #145
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Well, if you want gun control, that would probably be the fastest way to get it implemented.

When the democrats want gun control, right wingers often jump up and down and say "we need it to prevent tyranny". If the left-wing starts saying "great, lets use it to stop tyranny from the republicans", you will probably see gun control rushed through the senate faster than Trump can eat a cheeseburger.

Much like the way the NRA and the republicans were all for more people having guns, until the Black Panthers started to actually make use of the laws to protect themselves, after which Republicans in califorinia started to enact gun control.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/nr...pen-carry-ban/

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 12:35 PM   #146
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Or a "whiff of grapeshot?"
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 12:50 PM   #147
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know why I saw 25th, where it says 2nd amendment, but I agree with others that an assassination would be a disaster. Trumpanzees would immediately have a violent revolt, I'm sure. Heck, if Trump died of natural causes, such as a mac-heart attack,
As anyone who is at all familiar with the "dark" operations of the CIA in years past will tell you... "this can be arranged"

they would probably have a violent revolt.
Hmm. The majority of his base are just barking dogs, they are all talk but would run a mile if they were faced with real, personal confrontation. If the small number remaining, they would be smacked down very quickly if things looked like getting out of hand.
Old 15th February 2019, 12:54 PM   #148
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

My apologies.

Quick lesson. The US/Mexico border states are, from west to east

California
Arizona
New Mexico
Texas
Old 15th February 2019, 12:57 PM   #149
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

As anyone who is at all familiar with the "dark" operations of the CIA in years past will tell you... "this can be arranged"

I doubt it.
No self-respecting assassin will want to have Trump on his CV.
Old 15th February 2019, 12:59 PM   #150
3point14
Pi

Quick lesson. The US/Mexico border states are, from west to east

California
Arizona
New Mexico
Texas
My thanks.

I now know which local news to track the advance of the Mexicans.

Old 15th February 2019, 01:06 PM   #151
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And hopefully some Chareville muskets...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th February 2019, 01:11 PM   #152
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Wait a sec. Has he actually signed the spending bill? The one that has been agonised over the last few weeks?

Because if one of his "reasons" for declaring a national emergency is that there was "no wall money" in the bucket, then technically he has just shot that "reason" out of the water. There would be over a billion dollars if he simply signs that bill. Enough for 50-odd miles of his wall, which would probably take a number of years to build anyway.

Complaining that he has no cheeseberders when there is a couple dozen of them in a box right in front of him he refuses to open is what most parents would call being a truculent brat. In the old days like when McConnell was growing up, they would get a clip under the ear and be told in no uncertain terms to smarten themselves up.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 01:13 PM   #153
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

My apologies.

I think New Mexico has been forgotten also. It also has a short border with Mexico. ETA: Oh, smartcooky covered it.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 01:15 PM   #154
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

The surest sign that there is not a crisis at the border is the fact that Trump visited the border.

Trump is such a coward that he will not do anything if he expects even the slightest danger that he could be personally hurt, therefore it is quite obvious that there is not a crisis at the border.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 01:17 PM   #155
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Just checking in to let the forum know I am safe and okay during this national emergency.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 01:26 PM   #156
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The GOvernor of California made it short and sweet this moringing in Sacramento; he told Trump "See You In Court"...in those exact words.
Sometimes even clichés work...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th February 2019, 01:27 PM   #157
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think there is a very serious national emergency:
It's called the Trump Presidency.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th February 2019, 01:28 PM   #158
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Just checking in to let the forum know I am safe and okay during this national emergency.
Check again.
You are probably being robbed, stabbed and raped by immigrants at this very moment.
Old 15th February 2019, 01:28 PM   #159
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

You're thinking of the 25th amendment, not the second amendment.

"2A solution" is a euphemism for assassination.

ETA: Ninja'd by Minoosh
Not a euphemism, a joke, like when Trump brought it up regarding Clinton, remember? The 2nd Amendment is a joke amendment, everybody knows that. "Here comes Biggus Dickus with his 2nd Amendment", like that. Sheesh, lighten up, people.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 01:30 PM   #160
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I think New Mexico has been forgotten also. It also has a short border with Mexico. ETA: Oh, smartcooky covered it.
By himself? That really is a short border.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics