ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th June 2019, 07:28 AM   #81
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
I don't really know if Trump is a budding fascist or not, but I do know that I am ******* terrified of a certain contingent of his supporters. Truly and genuinely. I had a genuine panic attack last night (the textbook kind, with the gasping and the tunnel vision and the hyperventilation) because Reddit apparently quarantined the r/the_donald subreddit and its members are having a fit. They are talking about violence and revolution all over the web. Is it just tough talk from basement dwellers, like my friends assure me? I hope so. There's a lot of them, they seem really crazy, and I'm concerned that they will try to light the country on fire if their Dear Leader doesn't win the next election. To say nothing of if he does (which i think he probably will).

You (general you) can make fun of me if you like. I don't care. I'm being honest.
He's all but said they would, in the literal sense. In the 2016 general he said that they'd riot, etc. He actually encourages this behavior.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 07:29 AM   #82
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The rural areas, Rustbelt, farmbelt, and other areas of this country have gotten a raw deal that the Dems have done a piss-poor job of addressing.

But "We're pissed and frustrated so we're gonna turn to a psychopathic manchild who's going to destroy the country and is objectively worse for US then the alternative" can flounce right off at high speed in any direction.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 07:34 AM   #83
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
I. Am. Not. A. Trump. Supporter.
Uncritically swallowing and then repeating Trump's transparent lies does tend to make people think that you are a Trump supporter. Of course, in this thread you're accusing Mueller of being a Democrat, but in the Mueller thread you're calling him a mouthpiece for neocons. Have you made up your mind yet?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 07:35 AM   #84
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

In politics there's no functional difference between a supporter and an apologists.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 08:03 AM   #85
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The rural areas, Rustbelt, farmbelt, and other areas of this country have gotten a raw deal that the Dems have done a piss-poor job of addressing.

But "We're pissed and frustrated so we're gonna turn to a psychopathic manchild who's going to destroy the country and is objectively worse for US then the alternative" can flounce right off at high speed in any direction.
This is very true and something the Dems should be campaigning on up here. I'm forced to listen to conservative talk radio frequently while traveling for work, and there are farmers\ranchers that have called in with gripes about the way things are going. Most have had to change crops and methods of storage that's cost them a lot of money.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 08:18 AM   #86
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

If you take Trump either seriously or literally, you have to come to the conclusion that he aspires to be a Dictator and Cult Leader.
Old 27th June 2019, 08:25 AM   #87
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

//Paraphrased//

"People keep telling me that Trump is 'joking' when he keeps talking about wanting a 3rd term or to be President for life. But when have you ever known Trump to make a joke? Maybe, just maybe, the reason he keeps talking about how he wants to be President for life is because he wants to be President for life." - Bill Maher.
Old 27th June 2019, 08:40 AM   #88
ahhell
Master Poster

//Paraphrased//

"People keep telling me that Trump is 'joking' when he keeps talking about wanting a 3rd term or to be President for life. But when have you ever known Trump to make a joke? Maybe, just maybe, the reason he keeps talking about how he wants to be President for life is because he wants to be President for life." - Bill Maher.
This is just more evidence that Maher has gone of the deep end. Listen to any Trump rally and its pretty clearly the only thing he likes as much as adulation is getting a laugh from the crowd.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 08:53 AM   #89
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
He's all but said they would, in the literal sense. In the 2016 general he said that they'd riot, etc. He actually encourages this behavior.
Maybe they took lessons from the liberals who set fires, assaulted Trump supporters and looted. If a study was made Trumps supporters commit less crime of any description than their liberal counterparts.
Old 27th June 2019, 09:00 AM   #90
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
This is just more evidence that Maher has gone of the deep end. Listen to any Trump rally and its pretty clearly the only thing he likes as much as adulation is getting a laugh from the crowd.
I don't get the joke. What's funny about Trump being President for life? Or is this one of those "Russia, if you're listening..." comments where he claims it was a joke and also claims he was serious?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 09:01 AM   #91
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Maybe they took lessons from the liberals who set fires, assaulted Trump supporters and looted. If a study was made Trumps supporters commit less crime of any description than their liberal counterparts.
Keep flailing around like a wounded cow in deep water!
Old 27th June 2019, 09:04 AM   #92
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

That explains his Drain the Swamp laugh line. I mean no one could possibly have taken it seriously, but it got a good laugh so he kept the joke in.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 09:12 AM   #93
plague311
Great minds think...

Do you type this with a straight face? There's no way this is for real, and it's got to be poe just for the sake of arguing.

The Trump supporter that sent bombs to Dem candidates alone trumps anything any of the Dem\Liberals\Antifa have done. That's just one instance.

Old 27th June 2019, 09:29 AM   #94
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Don't forget the Trump fan who shot up the Synagogue.
Old 27th June 2019, 09:45 AM   #95
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
I don't get the joke. What's funny about Trump being President for life? Or is this one of those "Russia, if you're listening..." comments where he claims it was a joke and also claims he was serious?
I'm not saying Trump is consistent, its just absurd to ask, "When have you known Trump to Joke?" As divorced from reality as Trump even.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 10:02 AM   #96
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
If you take Trump either seriously or literally, you have to come to the conclusion that he aspires to be a Dictator and Cult Leader.

He already is a cult leader. Dictator?! Not quite there yet.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 10:07 AM   #97
wareyin
Philosopher

I'm not saying Trump is consistent, its just absurd to ask, "When have you known Trump to Joke?" As divorced from reality as Trump even.
Of course Trump isn't consistent. But other than him using the "but it was just a joke" excuse, I can't say I've seen him tell a joke. I know he got a whole bunch of foreign leaders to laugh, but he wasn't joking, and they were laughing at him.
Old 27th June 2019, 10:08 AM   #98
dann
Philosopher

Considering what he looks like, I'm surprised that he has survived his own presidency so far. President for life?! How many of you think that he'd survive till 2024?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 10:13 AM   #99
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Of course Trump isn't consistent. But other than him using the "but it was just a joke" excuse, I can't say I've seen him tell a joke. I know he got a whole bunch of foreign leaders to laugh, but he wasn't joking, and they were laughing at him.
His idea of a joke is best seen in his twitter where he comes up with all kinds of ways to insult people. What can we say republicans are the toadies to trumps bully finding the way he insults women vastly amusing.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 10:14 AM   #100
dann
Philosopher

Lacking a sense of humor can sometimes spare you from embarrassment:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 27th June 2019, 10:15 AM   #101
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Considering what he looks like, I'm surprised that he has survived his own presidency so far. President for life?! How many of you think that he'd survive till 2024?!
I'm surprised he lives through each night. His arteries must have more fat in them than a Southern Baptist church potluck. Mosquitoes that bite him get diabetes. That orange color isn't fake tan, it's bile fleeing the liver in despair over its impossible task of digesting all he consumes.
Old 27th June 2019, 10:17 AM   #102
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Smug trolling, yes.

Anything an actual human would call a joke, no.

He's not never even come close to anything kind of self affecting humor. I've never once seen him make a joke about himself.
Old 27th June 2019, 10:23 AM   #103
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Hillary Clinton
HRC
HRC
Have you been in a coma for a few years? The election is over.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 10:24 AM   #104
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm convinced. Hillary Clinton should be removed from office of the President immediately. Someone get on that... holy crap that was quick. It's like she was never there.
Old 27th June 2019, 11:19 AM   #105
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Not nearly as frequently, no.
not as blatantly or hypocritically.
I don't think I agree with that.

I think if there is a difference it's that when liberals lie they convince themselves that it's for a greater good.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 11:23 AM   #106
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I don't think I agree with that.

I think if there is a difference it's that when liberals lie they convince themselves that it's for a greater good.
you think that conservatives aren't convinced they are lying for the greater good?
Old 27th June 2019, 11:36 AM   #107
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

you think that conservatives aren't convinced they are lying for the greater good?
For the last three years or so the lies seem overwhelming and without reasonable motive. I honestly can't tell what they're thinking.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 11:59 AM   #108
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dann View Post
He already is a cult leader. Dictator?! Not quite there yet.
I think he just lacks the support and political infrastructure to become a dictator in the U.S.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 12:39 PM   #109
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I think he just lacks the support and political infrastructure to become a dictator in the U.S.
dictators don't need a majority.
Old 27th June 2019, 12:40 PM   #110
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

dictators don't need a majority.
Hell in American democracy doesn't need a majority.
Old 27th June 2019, 04:55 PM   #111
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Have you lost your mind? Conservative = white supremacist/N(n)azi! There is no middle ground
I said Trump supporters, not conservatives.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 05:00 PM   #112
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I've asked the locals repeatedly why they call anyone and everyone outside their infantile, quasi-socialist "rainbow coalition" a Trump supporter.

They just can't seem to understand (or pretend not to) that many people's scepticism about the declared purpose of the 'special investigation', and their suspicion that it's nothing but pro-democrat/Clinton operation might have more to do with their opposition to the democrats and HRC than support for Trump.
Says a Trump fellow traveler.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 08:33 PM   #113
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Don't forget the Trump fan who shot up the Synagogue.
Was that a Trump fan? If it was he did it without Trump's blessing because Trump has never made an anti-semitic statement during his campaign and I haven't heard of him ever putting the Jewish people down.
Old 27th June 2019, 08:37 PM   #114
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Was that a Trump fan? If it was he did it without Trump's blessing because Trump has never made an anti-semitic statement during his campaign and I haven't heard of him ever putting the Jewish people down.
He stuck up for nazis after Charlotsville. His own staff had to explain to him who the bad guys were.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 09:23 PM   #115
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

He was a MAGA fan and Soros hater who thought Trump wasn't going far enough in ridding the country of The JewsTM who control everything.
Old 27th June 2019, 11:31 PM   #116
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

If that's your criterion all of a sudden, please enlighten us: which 'liberal' politician gave their blessing to the violence you spoke about in the OP...
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 02:45 AM   #117
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Of course not. 'I am the least anti-Semitic person that you've ever seen in your entire life,' - trump. He's the world record holder for non-anti-semitism.

He's quoted as saying "Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are little short guys that wear yarmulkes every day.", praising jews for their affinity for money and accounting (or was he referring to their honesty? I can't tell, but high praise nonetheless.), so that's even more evidence for his record.

“You’re not going to support me because I don’t want your money. Is there anyone in this room who doesn’t negotiate deals? Probably more than any room I’ve ever spoken.” - trump, 2015, at the Republican Jewish Coalition, once again demonstrating his high regard for the natural negotiating strength and inclinations of jewish people.

Do not be swayed by all the haters suggesting that the god emporor in any way influenced or gave his blessing to people like Bowers who said "There is no #MAGA as long as there is a kike infestation.", before 11 killing people.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 04:33 AM   #118
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Smug trolling, yes.

Anything an actual human would call a joke, no.

He's not never even come close to anything kind of self affecting humor. I've never once seen him make a joke about himself.
He can apparently be self-deprecating, according to the people Wolff spoke to in Fire and Fury. Maybe that changed when he became POTUS or at some point before. I certainly don't see much of it in his tweets.

Maybe it didn't fit the Wannabe Dictator Strongman role he's slipped into
Old 28th June 2019, 04:41 AM   #119
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
"A lone conservative among liberals is like a wounded animal among piranas."

One wounded animal pulled out and used a sword at a roller rink.
This is neither a Stormy Daniels thread or one concerning the border wall, my good man.
Old 28th June 2019, 10:57 PM   #120
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Liberals have been known to assault Conservatives for wearing a maga hat in public. There are bad conservatives too but our weirdos aren't as violent as the liberal weirdos in society.
I'm not bothering to read all the subsequent pages after reading the OP's initial post. If I've ever seen a troll post, this is it. This is my one and only post in this thread.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics