ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Frederica Wilson , political gaffes , Ryan Saavedra

Old 7th July 2019, 01:26 PM   #41
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Nova Land, you have an excellent point. The only sources I can find covering this are conservative/right wing and none has provided the question to which Wilson was responding.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 02:32 PM   #42
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
It's cute to suggest that someone who jokes that a group should do something that would pay someone if they were to commit a class C misdemeanor (a crime so petty there is no jail term that can result from a conviction) has made a "violent threat." If a person similarly suggested a GoFundMe for someone who were to throw a milkshake at a "Nazi," I wonder if you would be clutching at your pearls as tightly.

Also, Constitution > regulations. Just a friendly reminder.
Ah, right.

Crimes white people in uniforms commit are petty.

Crimes brown people commit are existential threats to our way of life.

Crimes orange Presidents commit are process crimes.

And so on.

ETA: Regs apply even in the presence of the Constitution unless you can show that the personnel were pressed into involuntary service. Otherwise they voluntarily agreed to restrictions that carry punishments.

ETAA: conspiracy to deprive others of civil rights or conspiracy to commit crimes are not protected speech.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 7th July 2019 at 02:37 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 06:53 PM   #43
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Progressive politician talks like a normal person, nobody bats an eye. Donald Trump talks like a normal person, everyone loses their mind.
But......we're all batting eyes here.

I would prefer that members of congress not talk like normal people. What do they make? 170,000 per year, before graft? For that price, I want someone who talks better than a normal person.

And if I want that from each of the 435 members of the House of Representatives, you can only imagine what I want from the President of the United States, and how disappointed I am with the current actual holder of the office.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 07:48 AM   #44
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Donald Trump talks like a normal person...
You're really gonna play this game just two days after "airports," huh?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 07:58 AM   #45
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
Quoted in part from the quote: "Those people who are online making fun of members of Congress are a disgrace, and there is no need for anyone to think that is unacceptable."

If this is quoted correctly, I find that I agree with her that criticizing members of Congress is acceptable. Did she perhaps not mean the double negative?
Not at all, there is of course a difference between criticizing and mocking someone.

Of course either way she is wrong and the mocking of elected officials is one of the most american of things one can do. There are centuries of history backing this up.

As to the regular death threats that individuals like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez those need to be taken seriously and prosecuted instead of ignored like they are now.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics