ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd July 2019, 10:52 PM   #1
Faydra
sinning sybarite

Fourth Of July

This holiday this year feels just so foreign to me.

I'm 60 years old and I've always felt like a proud American.
I've always felt that this is the best place to be.

Until now, with kids in cages and a president so abhorrent.

I mourn for the America of the past.

No, not the the one with all the white people calling all the shots.

The America that stood for principal, humanity, and the rule of law.

Tomorrow, I'm just going to be hanging my head in shame.

Last edited by Faydra; 3rd July 2019 at 10:54 PM.
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 11:24 PM   #2
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

In his Narnia books, C.S. Lewis has a character explain that being a member of the human race “is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth.”

We were the architects of the Marshall Plan. And we are people who chose a leader who, in 1948, would have said, “I’m looking over the numbers and I don’t see what we are getting out of all this. And another thing, why aren’t we calling it the Trump Plan?”

This is not our finest hour.
Old 3rd July 2019, 11:51 PM   #3
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

We'll get through it.
Old 4th July 2019, 12:02 AM   #4
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I've never grilled a hotdog or been to a baseball game. Sounds like fun!

Have a great Fourth, my Yank friends, despite the obvious setbacks.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 12:18 AM   #5
Apathia
Philosopher

A Facebook friend is pining for the days of yore when we showed our presidents, flags, and police officers respect. This same one praises dogs because they are more "intelligent," because they obey their masters.

So I say, Happy Day of Disrespect for our God appointed Master and King, George The Third. May the people ever hold the right to criticize, and remove from office any president who does not respect Liberty and Justice for All.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 12:39 AM   #6
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
A Facebook friend is pining for the days of yore when we showed our presidents, flags, and police officers respect. This same one praises dogs because they are more "intelligent," because they obey their masters.

So I say, Happy Day of Disrespect for our God appointed Master and King, George The Third. May the people ever hold the right to criticize, and remove from office any president who does not respect Liberty and Justice for All.
By not humping them in public?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 03:52 AM   #7
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post

I remember the DixieChicks kerfuffle in 2003. The group criticized President G.W. Bush and were told that they needed to respect the office of the president even if they disagreed with a president’s position. Most of the folks publicly espousing that idea fell silent in 2009. But they found their voice again in 2017.

I have no idea if your Facebook friend developed political laryngitis for 8 years. And I do not have enough accurate data to determine how widespread the epidemic was.

And the added irony to your Facebook friend’s position is that the current president spent 8 years disrespecting a president. And if that alone weren’t enough irony to choke a horse, the current president is doing the exact same things he criticized the last president for.
Old 4th July 2019, 04:42 AM   #8
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
It's OK, if you are a democrat, you're not invited apparently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48856990

Trump's having what looks like a political rally on the 4th of July.
jeremyp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 04:46 AM   #9
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Isn't it supposed to be July 4th?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 04:55 AM   #10
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Faydra View Post

I'm 60 years old and I've always felt like a proud American.
I've always felt that this is the best place to be.

Until now, with kids in cages and a president so abhorrent.

I mourn for the America of the past.

No, not the the one with all the white people calling all the shots.

The America that stood for principal, humanity, and the rule of law.

Tomorrow, I'm just going to be hanging my head in shame.
Yeah it was a shame Obama put kids in cages I know what you mean
Old 4th July 2019, 06:22 AM   #11
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Yeah it was a shame Obama put kids in cages I know what you mean
Typical for a Trump supporter, no understanding on nuance. The Obama administration was responding to a crisis not of its making. Trump is making a choice.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 06:23 AM   #12
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
No kidding. Trump is like a boy dog and the flag someone's leg.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 06:31 AM   #13
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
It's OK, if you are a democrat, you're not invited apparently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48856990

Trump's having what looks like a political rally on the 4th of July.

Interesting side note at the bottom of that article. The group that obtained a permit to fly the Trump Baby balloon was denied the use of helium. Checking other news stories, it looks like the decision was announced a couple days ago, but this was the first I had heard about it. Can't have Trump seeing anything that hurts his delicate feelings.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 06:46 AM   #14
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 06:48 AM   #15
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Time for a massive demonstration to wreck Trump's fascist gathering.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 07:04 AM   #16
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Or wearing them on your feet and tush?

Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 07:06 AM   #17
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I remember the DixieChicks kerfuffle in 2003. The group criticized President G.W. Bush and were told that they needed to respect the office of the president even if they disagreed with a president’s position. Most of the folks publicly espousing that idea fell silent in 2009. But they found their voice again in 2017.

I have no idea if your Facebook friend developed political laryngitis for 8 years. And I do not have enough accurate data to determine how widespread the epidemic was.

And the added irony to your Facebook friend’s position is that the current president spent 8 years disrespecting a president. And if that alone weren’t enough irony to choke a horse, the current president is doing the exact same things he criticized the last president for.
This FB friend was a member of the Obama is The Anti-Christ Club.

Author Unknown
Old 4th July 2019, 07:06 AM   #18
3point14
Pi

Can I just take time out of my busy day to congratulate the French on their victory.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 07:25 AM   #19
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
No kidding. Trump is like a boy dog and the flag someone's leg.
I'll take that as an improvement. I remember when Obama was like a boy dog and the flag was his fire hydrant.

Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump

Last edited by ChrisBFRPKY; 4th July 2019 at 07:25 AM. Reason: sp
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 07:27 AM   #20
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I'll take that as an improvement. I remember when Obama was like a boy dog and the flag was his fire hydrant.

Chris B.
Please do tell, how did President Obama desecrate the flag?
Old 4th July 2019, 07:34 AM   #21
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Please do tell, how did President Obama desecrate the flag?
March 2012.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/flag-flap-2/

Next.

Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 07:39 AM   #22
Worm
Master Poster

How did Obama desecrate the flag. ?

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 07:46 AM   #23
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Dishonest as usual.
Old 4th July 2019, 07:48 AM   #24
3point14
Pi

Hang on there with the 'next', cowboy...

The link doesn't say what you said it said. Not even a little bit.

This dishonesty is very unamerican of you on such an auspicious day, surely?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 07:49 AM   #25
jeremyp
Muse

1. Obama didn't make that flag.

2. It's not the US Flag. The US flag is The Stars and Strips. There are no stars on the flag. ergo, it is not the US flag.

Next.
jeremyp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 07:50 AM   #26
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Hang on there with the 'next', cowboy...

The link doesn't say what you said it said. Not even a little bit.

This dishonesty is very unamerican of you on such an auspicious day, surely?
He's used to being unamerican. He became unamerican when he voted for Trump.
Old 4th July 2019, 07:59 AM   #27
Tolls
Illuminator

You did read that, didn't you?

If so, maybe you could point out the part where Obama was involved in the display of that flag?

ETA: And just how long did I have this tab open for?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 08:27 AM   #28
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The Fourth of July (aka the Fifth of July, in Canada) is the annual commemoration of the day when St America performed several miracles for the glorification of Christianity. Firstly, she entered unto the town of Capharnaum and slew a dragon, a lion, a boar, a wyvern (which is like a dragon except not), a hydra, a kraken, and a giant and cooked them all up in a magnificent stir fry to feed the multitudes. St America's second miracle was discovering America, which she did by floating out to sea on a coracle (a kind of helicopter with whale-like elements) to where America is and pointing it out to other people when she got back. The third miracle was the spontaneous creation of the scrunchy, a fashion accessory which transformed the culture of ponytails for nearly a decade. Her work complete, St America ascended into Heaven (a suburb of the empyrean firmament, with excellent schools and adequate libraries) in a riot of fire and light, which is why we celebrate with fireworks to this very day. Also fireworks frighten off malevolent river ghosts, which is a constant concern, rating in surveys above fear of eels and a dread of retiring with too little money. Happy St America Day!
Old 4th July 2019, 08:48 AM   #29
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I always wondered why the 4th of July isn't celebrated in France.
It's their victory, after all.
Old 4th July 2019, 08:55 AM   #30
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I always wondered why the 4th of July isn't celebrated in France.
It's their victory, after all.
Happy international Stick It To the Brits Day!
Old 4th July 2019, 08:55 AM   #31
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

A relative did the 23 and Me (or something like it) thing a while ago and I learned that I had a distant ancestor who died in the Revolutionary War. He died of his wounds shortly after the Battle of Trenton. George Washington crossed the Delaware and smoked his ass.
Old 4th July 2019, 08:56 AM   #32
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Happy international Stick It To the Brits Day!
I was thinking of going down to the British Embassy to point and laugh today.
Old 4th July 2019, 09:03 AM   #33
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I was thinking of going down to the British Embassy to point and laugh today.
They may not be in. The Brits refer to the 4th of July as British Thanksgiving.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 09:29 AM   #34
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Time for a massive demonstration to wreck Trump's fascist gathering.
You should start a poll thread to see which ISF members went to Washington to demonstrate. Confront the Orange Menace, or grill hot dogs, or Planet X?
Old 4th July 2019, 09:59 AM   #35
Cain
Straussian

Great Britain should have prevailed. We might've had three fewer decades of slavery and could've averted the disastrous Civil War. Our Founding Fathers wouldn't've been guilty of human trafficking, or turned phrases like "merciless Indian savages." We could attribute most atrocities to the British empire, which would help improve, among other things, race relations.
Old 4th July 2019, 10:13 AM   #36
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Great Britain should have prevailed. We might've had three fewer decades of slavery and could've averted the disastrous Civil War. Our Founding Fathers wouldn't've been guilty of human trafficking, or turned phrases like "merciless Indian savages." We could attribute most atrocities to the British empire, which would help improve, among other things, race relations.
Don't worry... I'm sure you would have found something to criticize your founding fathers over.

From: https://globalnews.ca/news/4388052/s...donald-statue/
The City of Victoria removed its statue of Canada’s first prime minister, John A. Macdonald, because above all of his accomplishments, he was the architect of residential schools.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 10:35 AM   #37
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Americans can feel great pride not only that our president is turning Independence Day into a campaign rally, but that he is also taking parade advice from Russia and North Korea.

Anybody not having at least fleeting thoughts of violently overthrowing this government isn't worthy of their citizenship.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 11:01 AM   #38
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Good news! You only have to put up with him for five and a half more years!
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 11:08 AM   #39
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Americans can feel great pride not only that our president is turning Independence Day into a campaign rally, but that he is also taking parade advice from Russia and North Korea.
Even worse, from France. Can you believe he would stoop so low?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 11:50 AM   #40
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
How did Obama desecrate the flag. ?
From the previously provided link:

"In late 2012, the official Barack Obama campaign web site offered for sale a limited edition screen print showing a stylized rendition of the U.S. flag with the campaign logo replacing the field of stars in the canton:"

Chris B.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics