ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th July 2019, 11:53 AM   #41
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
1. Obama didn't make that flag.

2. It's not the US Flag. The US flag is The Stars and Strips. There are no stars on the flag. ergo, it is not the US flag.

Next.
From the previously provided link:

"No person shall, in any manner, for exhibition or display:
(1) Place or cause to be placed any word, figure, mark, picture, design, drawing or advertisement of any nature upon any flag, standard, color, ensign or shield of the United States or of this state, or authorized by any law of the United States or this state; or

(2) Expose to public view any such flag, standard, color, ensign or shield upon which shall have been printed, painted or otherwise produced, or to which shall have been attached, appended, affixed or annexed any such word, figure, mark, picture, design, drawing or advertisement."

Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 12:12 PM   #42
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Interesting side note at the bottom of that article. The group that obtained a permit to fly the Trump Baby balloon was denied the use of helium. Checking other news stories, it looks like the decision was announced a couple days ago, but this was the first I had heard about it. Can't have Trump seeing anything that hurts his delicate feelings.
I totally agree this is about Baby Trump's image. But they do have an excuse, drones aren't allowed to fly at that level either, are they?
Old 4th July 2019, 12:37 PM   #43
Worm
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post

"In late 2012, the official Barack Obama campaign web site offered for sale a limited edition screen print showing a stylized rendition of the U.S. flag with the campaign logo replacing the field of stars in the canton:"

Chris B.
Yeah, I saw that. 'Stylized' is rather generous. It looks basically nothing like the actual flag other than containing some horizontal red stripes. That isn't the US flag, and is in no way a desecration.

Want to guess how many Trump products contain a representation of the flag? But that's almost incidental, because that flag code gets ignored a million different ways every single day. By people on all parts of the political spectrum. Because it's a flag. It's a piece of cloth.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness

Last edited by Worm; 4th July 2019 at 12:40 PM.
Worm is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 12:45 PM   #44
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Chris,

Obama didn't make the flag, nor did he sell it.
As you mentioned, his campaign sold screen prints of it.

According to you, you can't print a caricature picture of the US flag.

Yeesh, if you have to dig this deep and still find nothing but a copy of a copy, you really have gone off the deep end.
Old 4th July 2019, 03:12 PM   #45
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

I'll take that as an improvement. I remember when Obama was like a boy dog and the flag was his fire hydrant.

Chris B.
Yeah, yeah, we get it. When your opponents do something wrong you want consequences and accountability, when the Trumpenführer does something it's all butbut other people done bad things tooo!!!.

Pity. I prefer people it's possible to actually interact with.
Old 4th July 2019, 03:38 PM   #46
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

Yeesh, if you have to dig this deep and still find nothing but a copy of a copy, you really have gone off the deep end.
They have no shame left. Then again, I didn't expect them to. Trump is a bully. Naturally a lot of his followers are going to be of the same ilk.

I think the mistake we're making is tteating the trumpkins like rational actors who can and should be debated with using reason. Funny thing, I'm rediscovering Harry Potter through audio books, and an image just popped into my head of the reasonable Hermonie trying to explain to Crabbe and Goyle that Malfoy is a bully. As if they don't know.

Perhaps a bit of a "childish" metaphor, but that's how I see the trumpkins. They know Trump is a bully. They just enjoy playing the role of the brutes flanking Malfoy, flexing their muscles and snickering when the griffindors are provoked. And every time I see people responding to posts like "but bummur desecrate flag too!", i feel like Hermonie as she keeps walking, whispering "ignore them, ignore them" under her breath.

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 4th July 2019 at 03:39 PM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 04:48 PM   #47
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Chris,

Obama didn't make the flag, nor did he sell it.
As you mentioned, his campaign sold screen prints of it.

According to you, you can't print a caricature picture of the US flag.

The question was asked, I answered. I cite the facts and sometimes they disagree with someone's opinion. If one doesn't want to know they shouldn't ask.

Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 04:50 PM   #48
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Wonderful speech by President Trump! No politics and all tribute to the Military!
Happy Fourth!

Chris B.
Old 4th July 2019, 05:16 PM   #49
Faydra
sinning sybarite

Wonderful speech by President Trump! No politics and all tribute to the Military!
Happy Fourth!

Chris B.
Ewww. Trump is a miserable excuse for a human being. I don't think I've ever hated anyone more.
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 05:19 PM   #50
Cain
Straussian

Fantastic. We just do not have enough holidays celebrating the military.
Old 4th July 2019, 05:23 PM   #51
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Happy Fourth!

Chris B.
It was like his inauguration speech. He has one normal speech in him every two years.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 05:50 PM   #52
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Happy Fourth!

Chris B.

"Wonderful speech"? It was basically the presidential version of a listicle article on some click-bait site. "Remember these 100 Great Things about America? Number 53 will leave you speechless!"

The crowd couldn't even shout "USA! USA!" correctly.

And I'm pretty sure about half the people he mentioned as Great Americans would have punched him in his stupid face if they had ever met him.
Old 4th July 2019, 06:06 PM   #53
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Happy Fourth!

Chris B.
Because he was told repeatedly by his minions and handlers that if he deviated even one word from his written speech as they provided, it would mean the end of his presidential re-election ambitions. Which are on shaky enough ground as it is. And even then he couldn't do it. Space Force?? I mean, seriously, dude?

Hope all USAians had a great 4th, not just Trumpites.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 4th July 2019 at 06:07 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 07:12 PM   #54
Stacyhs
Philosopher

It's really sad that I couldn't even watch the 4th of July celebrations from DC because just seeing that disgusting excuse for a POTUS makes me want to puke. I thought I disliked Dubya, but Trump makes him look almost good.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 07:24 PM   #55
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I was going to start a new thread, but this thread will do. When was the declaration of independence signed? If you said 4 July 1776, then this video would say you are wrong. The channel is "Today I Found Out" and is serious.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 4th July 2019, 08:20 PM   #56
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
This holiday this year feels just so foreign to me.

I'm 60 years old and I've always felt like a proud American.
I've always felt that this is the best place to be.

Until now, with kids in cages and a president so abhorrent.

I mourn for the America of the past.

No, not the the one with all the white people calling all the shots.

The America that stood for principal, humanity, and the rule of law.

Tomorrow, I'm just going to be hanging my head in shame.

Oh the drama in this thread! Trump is not America. Get some perspective and smile - one day you'll be dead anyways.
Old 4th July 2019, 08:24 PM   #57
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Oh the drama in this thread! Trump is not America. Get some perspective and smile - one day you'll be dead anyways.
Some of us have kids we care about, you know.

But I would say to you, enjoy it while you can, Trump is going to be short lived.
Old 4th July 2019, 08:33 PM   #58
Venom
Master Poster

Boy Chris is desperate as ****
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 09:08 PM   #59
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Happy Fourth!

Chris B.
Yeah! Trump Hearts Military!
Old 4th July 2019, 09:35 PM   #60
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Trump is not America.

Someone needs to tell him that.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 09:36 PM   #61
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 11:34 PM   #62
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Someone needs to tell him that.
Well he represents the views of 40% or more
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 01:12 AM   #63
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Well he represents the views of 40% or more 30% (of voting age population), 20% of total US population

FTFY
Old 5th July 2019, 01:39 AM   #64
Parsman
Muse

Happy Fourth!

Chris B.
Yeah what a brilliant speech. I particularly liked the bit where he talked about that little known aspect of the Revolutionary Wars. You know, the airports? Surprising the British lost when they had such air power to deploy. Or was it the Yanks who were sending off fighters to strafe the ground forces?

In other words the guy is a moron and even when he reads someone else's script to keep him reasonably sane he still wanders off into the swamp that is his unlearned and untutored mind. But you think that's is wonderful, you go Chris, you got to be you.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 02:10 AM   #65
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

FTFY
Nope,

His approval rating which is taken from polls of the whole electorate, not just those who voted, is around 40%. That a significant proportion of that 40% couldn't or wouldn't vote is immaterial in this context.

40% of Americans think President Trump is doing a great job - and that number is rising.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 02:12 AM   #66
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Nope,

His approval rating which is taken from polls of the whole electorate, not just those who voted, is around 40%. That a significant proportion of that 40% couldn't or wouldn't vote is immaterial in this context.

40% of Americans think President Trump is doing a great job - and that number is rising.
You've been saying the highlighted since Trump's inauguration. It hasn't happened. Trump has a ceiling, and that's where he has resided from pretty much day 1, statistical uncertainty notwithstanding.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 02:32 AM   #67
Tolls
Illuminator

"In late 2012, the official Barack Obama campaign web site offered for sale a limited edition screen print showing a stylized rendition of the U.S. flag with the campaign logo replacing the field of stars in the canton:"

Chris B.
And?
Do you understand the phrase "stylised rendition"?

It wasn't the flag.

If you're going down that road then most political campaigns in the US would fall foul.

This is a completely different beast to Trump humping the flag.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 03:07 AM   #68
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Republicans get the presumption of innocence (against all evidence).
Democrats get the presumption of guilt (without any evidence).

It's a well-established pattern.
Old 5th July 2019, 03:25 AM   #69
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Happy Fourth!

Chris B.
Yeah, I was excited to learn about the airports the Army took over during the Revolution. Jesus your guy really is a complete idiot. Such an embarrassment to the nation.

Last edited by Craig4; 5th July 2019 at 03:29 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 03:27 AM   #70
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Chris B.
And Obama's personal role in that was what exactly? Why do you suppose it was only on sale briefly?

Last edited by Craig4; 5th July 2019 at 04:22 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 03:31 AM   #71
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I'm certain Chris will be SHOCKED by this:

Proof Trump personally desecrated the US flag.
Old 5th July 2019, 04:17 AM   #72
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

I'm certain Chris will be SHOCKED by this:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RWFz3VEOa...do-reuters.jpg

Proof Trump personally desecrated the US flag.
Old 5th July 2019, 04:27 AM   #73
Armitage72
Master Poster

Well he represents the views of 40% or more

I was thinking more of the various times that Trump has equated criticism of him with disrespect for the country itself, as if they were a single entity.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 04:27 AM   #74
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

"No person shall, in any manner, for exhibition or display:
(1) Place or cause to be placed any word, figure, mark, picture, design, drawing or advertisement of any nature upon any flag, standard, color, ensign or shield of the United States or of this state, or authorized by any law of the United States or this state; or

(2) Expose to public view any such flag, standard, color, ensign or shield upon which shall have been printed, painted or otherwise produced, or to which shall have been attached, appended, affixed or annexed any such word, figure, mark, picture, design, drawing or advertisement."

Chris B.
You mean like this?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 05:24 AM   #75
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

So it wasn't an American flag then?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 06:13 AM   #76
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Happy international Stick It To the Brits Day!
You forget it was Brits fighting Brits, so whichever side won Brits came out top!
Old 5th July 2019, 06:14 AM   #77
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Happy Fourth!

Chris B.
Indeed, his words on the air forces of the revolutionary war and the capturingof air ports were amazing.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 06:21 AM   #78
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Indeed, his words on the air forces of the revolutionary war and the capturingof air ports were amazing.
The breadth and depth of his knowledge on the subject is illustrative of the level of regard he has for the military:

Quote:
"The Continental Army suffered a bitter winner at Valley Forge, found glory across the waters of the Delaware and seized victory from Cornwallis of Yorktown. Our Army manned the air, it ran the ramparts, it took over the airports, it did everything it had to do."
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1146985704624406533
Old 5th July 2019, 07:07 AM   #79
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

The breadth and depth of his knowledge on the subject is illustrative of the level of regard he has for the military:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1146985704624406533
Thinking that strange "manned the air" bit over. I'm sure speech was supposed to be "manned the ramparts"... It wasn't written by an illiterate stooge, merely read by one. Rather than having the sense to stop and correct himself he went for alliteration and came up with "manned the air, rammed the ramparts".

Alternate theory: Who knew Sam Adams and Patrick Henry could fly?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 07:14 AM   #80
sackett
Philosopher

We tend to think that senile dementia is characterised by good minds decaying, and we rightly find that tragic and sad.

But what if it happens to a weak, dull, degenerate mind?

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics