ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th July 2019, 07:27 AM   #81
Worm
Master Poster

There seemed to be a real mixture at times between the Revolutionary war , the War of 1812 and the Civil war. It was all a bit muddled to my ear - though I am no expert on American history.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 07:29 AM   #82
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
There seemed to be a real mixture at times between the Revolutionary war , the War of 1812 and the Civil war. It was all a bit muddled to my ear - though I am no expert on American history.
It wouldn't surprise me if Trump is the kind of person with, at best, a piecemeal, picked up randomly from Pop Culture view of American history and in his head all that "old" stuff starts to run together.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 09:04 AM   #83
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The breadth and depth of his knowledge on the subject is illustrative of the level of regard he has for the military:

"The Continental Army suffered a bitter winner at Valley Forge, found glory across the waters of the Delaware and seized victory from Cornwallis of Yorktown. Our Army manned the air, it ran the ramparts, it took over the airports, it did everything it had to do."

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1146985704624406533
Man, I remember that! That was one bitter win.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 09:40 AM   #84
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Delicately... because there's a fine line between explication and the MA's admonishment to not import arguments from other threads. Chris is not a troll. He believes the stuff he posts. Just as he believes in the stuff he's posted about his main calling.... Bigfoot Research. (Clue:What does BFRPKY stand for?)

There are poster's who don't cross-read certain forums and subforums and may be expecting lucid, well-thought-out responses. From a guy what's seen a Bigfoot.... in Kentucky.
To be fair, I can excuse that. I mean, have you seen some of the people in rural Kentucky? Easy mistake to make.

Old 5th July 2019, 10:13 AM   #85
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I'm certain Chris will be SHOCKED by this:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RWFz3VEOa...do-reuters.jpg

Proof Trump personally desecrated the US flag.
That is disgraceful. Please provide the link where Trump supports and is selling this mockery of the American flag.

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
That's a hat in your link, not a flag.

Chris B.
ďRacism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.Ē President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 10:15 AM   #86
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

never mind
ďRacism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.Ē President Donald John Trump

Last edited by ChrisBFRPKY; 5th July 2019 at 10:38 AM.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 10:25 AM   #87
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Locally, we had a fantastic 4th of July.
Fireworks show, parade, hotdogs, potato salad, a 5k. The local fire department dropped watermelons from a fully extended ladder truck on to the pavement.

Small town TN. City leaders democrats, county officials republicans. Didn’t hear Trump mentioned once.

It’s almost as if Twitter isn’t real life for most people. I have hope.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 10:37 AM   #88
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Itís almost as if Twitter isnít real life for most people. I have hope.
Twitter is a toxic dumpster fire that should be nuked from orbit. Itís the only way to be sure.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 10:53 AM   #89
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Cornwallis of Yorktown just didn't understand the strategic importance of air superiority.
Old 5th July 2019, 11:24 AM   #90
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Cornwallis of Yorktown just didn't understand the strategic importance of air superiority.
But he was a master at Tweeting!
Old 5th July 2019, 11:35 AM   #91
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

If all you have is a momentary gaffe made during a speech, times must be desperate indeed.

Chris B.

Last edited by ChrisBFRPKY; 5th July 2019 at 11:35 AM. Reason: sp
Old 5th July 2019, 11:38 AM   #92
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Nope,

His approval rating which is taken from polls of the whole electorate, not just those who voted, is around 40%. That a significant proportion of that 40% couldn't or wouldn't vote is immaterial in this context.

40% of Americans think President Trump is doing a great job - and that number is rising.
Nope.
Old 5th July 2019, 12:08 PM   #93
Kestrel
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Locally, we had a fantastic 4th of July.
Fireworks show, parade, hotdogs, potato salad, a 5k. The local fire department dropped watermelons from a fully extended ladder truck on to the pavement.

Small town TN. City leaders democrats, county officials republicans. Didnít hear Trump mentioned once.

Itís almost as if Twitter isnít real life for most people. I have hope.
I went to a small town in Colorado. They put on a great fireworks show without having to deal with a lot of crowds and traffic.

The only downside was having to watch a short patriotic film before the fireworks that was more right wing than Triumph of the Will. Apparently the most important thing about America is that our brave men died for God and freedom in lots of wars.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 12:44 PM   #94
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
This holiday this year feels just so foreign to me.

I'm 60 years old and I've always felt like a proud American.
I've always felt that this is the best place to be.

Until now, with kids in cages and a president so abhorrent.

I mourn for the America of the past.

No, not the the one with all the white people calling all the shots.

The America that stood for principal, humanity, and the rule of law.

Tomorrow, I'm just going to be hanging my head in shame
Gandhi:

ďWhen I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always"

This is the theory I fall back on when I get too far involved in current event ********.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 12:46 PM   #95
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

wrong thread - god, i'm disorganized
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 01:10 PM   #96
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
That is disgraceful. Please provide the link where Trump supports and is selling this mockery of the American flag.
That didn't matter in the case of Obama, why does it now?
Old 5th July 2019, 01:18 PM   #97
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

never mind
No really, you tell us. What does the Flag Code say about the US Flag on clothing?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 02:33 PM   #98
Parsman
Muse

If all you have is a momentary gaffe made during a speech, times must be desperate indeed.

Chris B.
"A momentary gaffe"? As in one gaffe? If it were one gaffe in one speech you may have a point but... covfefe, hamberders, good people on both sides, Tim Apple, the Prince of Whales... I'd go on but my fingers would be worn down to the stub. This man is unable to speak or write in an intelligent manner and is unable to admit when he makes a mistake. He is a man with a child's mind and temperament and vocabulary.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 07:27 PM   #99
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Chris B.
I agree! If that's ALL we had. But it isn't. Not by a long shot. Selective memory is a powerful tool for the reality impaired.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 08:08 PM   #100
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I agree! If that's ALL we had. But it isn't. Not by a long shot. Selective memory is a powerful tool for the reality impaired.
It's an even more powerful tool for those who wish to discuss issues in bad faith.

"Oh, please. If you really have such a big problem with Trump, show me at least 20 examples of him saying or doing something wrong, with annotated links."

It's the game being played with the possibility of impeachment. We know with nearly absolute certainty that he at the very least attempted to obstruct justice. We know that his campaign made efforts to obtain Russian assistance in winning the election, and he has stated outright that he wouldn't call the FBI to report future foreign attempts to directly influence an election. Why is he not facing articles of impeachment? Because the Democrats fear the optics and they are making no concerted effort to reframe the issues.

It's ******* insane.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 12:33 AM   #101
jeremyp
Muse

From the previously provided link:

"No person shall, in any manner, for exhibition or display:
(1) Place or cause to be placed any word, figure, mark, picture, design, drawing or advertisement of any nature upon any flag, standard, color, ensign or shield of the United States or of this state, or authorized by any law of the United States or this state; or

(2) Expose to public view any such flag, standard, color, ensign or shield upon which shall have been printed, painted or otherwise produced, or to which shall have been attached, appended, affixed or annexed any such word, figure, mark, picture, design, drawing or advertisement."

Chris B.
Iím not disputing your assertion that it is illegal to deface the US flag in that way, I am disputing the idea that it was the US flag at all. There were no stars, itís just a flag that looks a bit like the US flag.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 05:52 AM   #102
Parsman
Muse

Just wondering. What is the legality of hugging the American flag like you were going to take it to a bedroom and give it a right good seeing to? (maybe even let it urinate on you?) It might not be illegal but to this casual observer it looks hella weird.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 09:30 AM   #103
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
Iím not disputing your assertion that it is illegal to deface the US flag in that way, I am disputing the idea that it was the US flag at all. There were no stars, itís just a flag that looks a bit like the US flag.
It's not illegal. The Flag code is NOT law, and there's no enforcement behind it
Old 8th July 2019, 07:26 PM   #104
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
Just wondering. What is the legality of hugging the American flag like you were going to take it to a bedroom and give it a right good seeing to? (maybe even let it urinate on you?) It might not be illegal but to this casual observer it looks hella weird.
Personally I'm more concerned with putting the US flag, or any flag, on towels or bikini bottoms, but hey, free country.
Old 9th July 2019, 12:14 AM   #105
Parsman
Muse

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Personally I'm more concerned with putting the US flag, or any flag, on towels or bikini bottoms, but hey, free country.
You do realise I meant Trumps odd behaviour right? i come from the UK and we aren't quite so obsessed with gaudy coloured pieces of material here.

Old 9th July 2019, 12:47 AM   #106
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

You do realise I meant Trumps odd behaviour right? i come from the UK and we aren't quite so obsessed with gaudy coloured pieces of material here.
Is that because, in the Queen, we have a different physical representation of the state ?

If President Trump were to embrace Brenda with that ****-eating grin on his face, or if someone protesting against the UK's foreign adventures were to set fire to her then perhaps people in the UK would be up in arms
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 01:17 AM   #107
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I've never understood this American need to display their 'patriotism' with this obsession with the flag. As an American, I find it rather silly and at times, even embarrassing.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 03:52 AM   #108
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Is that because, in the Queen, we have a different physical representation of the state ?

If President Trump were to embrace Brenda with that ****-eating grin on his face, or if someone protesting against the UK's foreign adventures were to set fire to her then perhaps people in the UK would be up in arms
Brenda is one tough cookie. She would knee him in the balls.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 05:47 AM   #109
Armitage72
Master Poster

I've never understood this American need to display their 'patriotism' with this obsession with the flag. As an American, I find it rather silly and at times, even embarrassing.

It lets you show your patriotism without actually making any effort. It's kind of like offering "thoughts and prayers" after something bad happens.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 06:07 AM   #110
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

My issue is that the flag is just a bit of colored cloth. The flag isn't patriotic; it's what that symbol stands for that matters.

And what depresses me most are those who proudly display the symbol at every opportunity while taking a massive dump on everything it is supposed to represent.
Old 9th July 2019, 07:03 AM   #111
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It lets you show your patriotism without actually making any effort. It's kind of like offering "thoughts and prayers" after something bad happens.
Exactly. Flags, yellow ribbon magnets on your car, thoughts and prayers, it's all just virtue signalling, without having do to anything substantial.
Old 9th July 2019, 07:06 AM   #112
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

i come from the UK and we aren't quite so obsessed with gaudy coloured pieces of material here.
Are you sure about that?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 07:13 AM   #113
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Exactly. Flags, yellow ribbon magnets on your car, thoughts and prayers, it's all just virtue signalling, without having do to anything substantial.
Or those horrible rubber bracelets. "I'm spreading awareness!" No, you're spreading the stink of a sweaty wrist.
Old 9th July 2019, 07:15 AM   #114
8enotto
Muse

The same people that embrace racist ideals against their neighbors can get ready to kill for showing disrespect for a patch of cloth.

Not all but enough of them. I do not associate the flag directly to myopic minds but it would be damn easy to do.

Political scammers using flags as backdrop for the platform they get very rich on, the same.

If a flag, any flag, has value as a symbol it has to be used in honorable and respectful ways. Most are not anymore.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 07:34 AM   #115
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
The same people that embrace racist ideals against their neighbors can get ready to kill for showing disrespect for a patch of cloth.

Not all but enough of them. I do not associate the flag directly to myopic minds but it would be damn easy to do.

Political scammers using flags as backdrop for the platform they get very rich on, the same.

If a flag, any flag, has value as a symbol it has to be used in honorable and respectful ways. Most are not anymore.
I've mentioned before, go by a campground on any given weekend, and you see a row of campers and they have all US flags displayed.

Because, you know, sleeping in campers is all about patriotism, or something like that.
Old 9th July 2019, 07:43 AM   #116
Armitage72
Master Poster

Back in the 90s, during one of the periods that anti-flag desecration bills were making their way through the legislation, there was a comic book in which Spider-Man jokingly asked Captain America if his costume would violate the proposed law. Cap responded with something like "As long as you respect the ideas that the flag represents, it doesn't matter what happens to the cloth itself."
I've always found "WWCAD?" to be a useful guide in life.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 08:31 AM   #117
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Back in the 90s, during one of the periods that anti-flag desecration bills were making their way through the legislation, there was a comic book in which Spider-Man jokingly asked Captain America if his costume would violate the proposed law. Cap responded with something like "As long as you respect the ideas that the flag represents, it doesn't matter what happens to the cloth itself."
That is awesome, and exactly my sentiment. Just expressed in a much more clear and succinct manner in a comic book.

I feel like I need remedial instruction in communicating my ideas
Old 9th July 2019, 09:51 AM   #118
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
That is awesome, and exactly my sentiment. Just expressed in a much more clear and succinct manner in a comic book.

I feel like I need remedial instruction in communicating my ideas

There was also an oddly prophetic speech he gave in the early 1980s, in an issue of "What If ...?" in which he woke up in the `80s to discover that an imposter had assumed his identity in the intervening decades and achieved political power on a platform of racism and xenophobia.

Quote:
Listen to me -- all of you out there! You were told by this man -- your hero -- that America is the greatest country in the world!

He told you that Americans were the greatest people -- that America could be refined like silver, could have the impurities hammered out of it, and shine more brightly! He went on about how precious America was -- how you needed to make sure it remained great! And he told you anything was justified to preserve that great treasure, that pearl of great price that is America!

Well, I say America is nothing!! Without its ideals -- its commitment to the freedom of all men, America is a piece of trash! A nation is nothing! A flag is a piece of cloth!

I fought Adolf Hitler not because America was great, but because it was fragile! I knew that liberty could be snuffed out here as in Nazi Germany! As a people, we were no different than them! When I returned, I saw that you nearly did turn America into nothing! And the only reason you're not less then nothing --

-- is that it's still possible for you to bring freedom back to America!

Last edited by Armitage72; 9th July 2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 9th July 2019, 10:12 AM   #119
autumn1971
Master Poster

There is almost nothing that would make me want to burn an American flag, but at the very top of a very short list would be a law forbidding it.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 01:35 PM   #120
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think burning a American Flag is one of the stupidest things you can do...guaranteed to alienate a thousand times more people then you will impress by it...but a law against it is stupid and wrong,wrong,wrong, a direct assault on the first amendment.
Besides, it brings it's own punishment:you lose credibitly with all except a small group of fellow radicals.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics