ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2024 elections , presidential candidates , Ted Cruz

Old 4th July 2019, 07:58 AM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

I hope Ted Cruz as President in 2024.

America needs a certified genius in office. Ted Cruz graduated Magna cum laude from Harvard and Princeton. He seems to behave himself and be a gentleman and quite frankly that's why he lost to Trump. During the debates, Trump was not nice whereas Ted Cruz was.

Ted Cruz is who I wanted to win in the first place, not Trump.
Old 4th July 2019, 08:00 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbTcHpPDCu8

Id' like my president to stand up against a bully for his wife.
Cruz is a coward.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 4th July 2019 at 08:02 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 08:16 AM   #3
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It's so cute when people brag about magna cum laude. That's for people who get B's. Anyone that dumb shouldn't be trusted with eating utensils much less a whole country!
Old 4th July 2019, 08:24 AM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

And anyhow, his Daddy killed Kennedy. And he was born in Canada.
Old 4th July 2019, 08:40 AM   #5
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
So Trump just has to annex Canada and he'll be eligible?
Old 4th July 2019, 08:48 AM   #6
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
I hope Ted Cruz as President in 2024.
Ted Cruz?

The same Ted Cruz who's campaign used Cambridge Analytica for research purposes during the 2016 primaries (the company that is best known for shady practices on facebook)?

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/...ytica-10488176

The same Ted Cruz who has dismissed the issue of Russian interference in American elections?

https://www.salon.com/2019/01/13/ted...t-this-at-all/

The same Ted Cruz who helped engineer a government shutdown in 2013?

https://theweek.com/articles/743119/...after-ted-cruz

The same Ted Cruz who is well known for being, well, a completely unlikable person (described as being condescending and combative). As described by a fellow republican: "Everybody who knows him in the Senate hates him".

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...is-to-hate-him

Yeah, that's what the U.S. needs... an unlikable president who has a history of shady political tactics. At least he can bring the country through mutual dislike!

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 08:50 AM   #7
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Edit: never mind...

Last edited by Porpoise of Life; 4th July 2019 at 08:57 AM.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 08:57 AM   #8
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Plus, don't forget that he's the Zodiac killer.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 09:45 AM   #9
paiute
Graduate Poster

Wamp wamp

America needs a certified genius in office. Ted Cruz graduated Magna cum laude from Harvard and Princeton. He seems to behave himself and be a gentleman and quite frankly that's why he lost to Trump. During the debates, Trump was not nice whereas Ted Cruz was.

Not native born. Not eligible.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36568510/A...-of-Cadaverine
paiute is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 09:58 AM   #10
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by paiute View Post
Not native born. Not eligible.
That's not your law.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 10:20 AM   #11
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Lol, okay, now I get your game Cainkane.

Very amusing. 5/10.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 02:35 PM   #12
carrps
Thinker

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Lol, okay, now I get your game Cainkane.

Very amusing. 5/10.
The funny thing is this is a different Cain.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 05:39 PM   #13
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

I commiserate, it's not easy given such a choice. 17 candidates and not one worth voting for. But once the selection was made it got a lot easier...
Old 4th July 2019, 09:52 PM   #14
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
That's not your law.
Correct

https://www.thoughtco.com/requiremen...sident-3322199

Ted Cruz was born in Canada, his mother was an American citizen, so that qualifies him automatically
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 10:16 PM   #15
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Correct

Ted Cruz was born in Canada, his mother was an American citizen, so that qualifies him automatically
I have no reason to believe that, since I wasn't present in the Delivery Room.
Old 4th July 2019, 10:16 PM   #16
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Correct

Never has been adjudicated.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 04:00 AM   #17
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I have no reason to believe that, since I wasn't present in the Delivery Room.
We're going to need a birth certificate. And don't gimme that short-form BS either. Long-form or geddout!

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 11:24 AM   #18
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

It's funny, but think about Mayor Pete for a moment. What other qualification does he have for the presidency other than that he's really smart?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 11:32 AM   #19
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
It's funny, but think about Mayor Pete for a moment. What other qualification does he have for the presidency other than that he's really smart?

Well, he edges out Cruz in the "Not personally despised by everyone he's ever had to work with" category.
Old 5th July 2019, 12:52 PM   #20
paiute
Graduate Poster

Just a minute.

Correct

From that same site: "...most constitutional experts argue that the Presidential Eligibility Clause of Article II does incorporate both jus sanguinis and jus soli, so George Romney, who was born in Mexico to American parents was eligible to run for president in 1968."

There is no written statute that makes Cruz a natural born citizen. There are arguments as above, which do not have the force of law.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36568510/A...-of-Cadaverine
paiute is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 01:42 PM   #21
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Never has been adjudicated.
Doesn't need to be.

Originally Posted by paiute View Post
From that same site: "...most constitutional experts argue that the Presidential Eligibility Clause of Article II does incorporate both jus sanguinis and jus soli, so George Romney, who was born in Mexico to American parents was eligible to run for president in 1968."

There is no written statute that makes Cruz a natural born citizen. There are arguments as above, which do not have the force of law.
They have the force of the US Constitution, therefore, they have the force of US Law pro tempore until someone successfully challenges under Article 2.

Last edited by smartcooky; 5th July 2019 at 01:45 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 01:43 PM   #22
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Well, that is at one more qualification than Trump.
Old 5th July 2019, 01:48 PM   #23
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

They have the force of the US Constitution, therefore, they have the force of US Law pro tempore until someone successfully challenges under Article 2.
Who or what is "they"? And how do "they" get the force of the Constitution?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 01:56 PM   #24
eerok
Quixoticist

I don't see Cruz as a leader. He's better qualified as a weasel skulking in the background, liked and respected by no one.
Old 5th July 2019, 02:01 PM   #25
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Cooking bacon by wrapping it around the barrel of an AR-15 and firing a full magazine does not say to me presidential material.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 02:24 PM   #26
Minoosh
Philosopher

Correct

So that would have been true of Obama as well?

Not that I believe Obama was born in Kenya.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 02:56 PM   #27
Bogative
Graduate Poster

He gets banged by dudes and for some reason that pushes him higher up the grievance pyramid in the eyes of the media. If it weren't for that, no one would have likey heard of him because he's a small town mayor who is a political backbencher.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 03:07 PM   #28
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Insert obligatory blobfish reference...
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 03:45 PM   #29
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
He gets banged by dudes and for some reason that pushes him higher up the grievance pyramid in the eyes of the media. If it weren't for that, no one would have likey heard of him because he's a small town mayor who is a political backbencher.
Utter bollocks. The actual truth is that the vast majority of people don't care which team he bats for.

The only people his sexuality matters to is homophobes, a small number of bible bashing asshats and other intolerant morons. His sexuality works against him for those reasons.
Old 5th July 2019, 03:54 PM   #30
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
So that would have been true of Obama as well?

Not that I believe Obama was born in Kenya.
Obama was born in Hawaii 4 August 1961. Last time I looked, Hawaii was a state of the USA (achieved statehood in 1959)

But even if you could show, somehow, that Obama was really born in Kenya, his mother was a US Citizen (born November 29, 1942 in Wichita, Kansas)

Birthers are just a bunch of ignorant morons.
Old 5th July 2019, 03:57 PM   #31
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

The only people his sexuality matters to is homophobes, a small number of bible bashing asshats and other intolerant morons. His sexuality works against him for those reasons.
And work against him it will. Buttigieg has zero chance of becoming president.
Old 5th July 2019, 03:58 PM   #32
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Who or what is "they"? And how do "they" get the force of the Constitution?
In answer to your first question, "they" are the arguments mentioned in the post I was replying to; argument from the article I quoted.

Pro Tip: When a poster is actually quoting the post they are replying to, try reading the reply in that context... follow back to the post that he/she replied to, then you won't need to ask dumb questions when the answer to them is right in front of you.

In answer to your second question, under the US Constitution, Article VI, Section 2, the Constitution itself, like all statutes, is the supreme law of the land.

"This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding."

Last edited by smartcooky; 5th July 2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 5th July 2019, 04:27 PM   #33
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

In answer to your first question, "they" are the arguments mentioned in the post I was replying to; argument from the article I quoted.

Pro Tip: When a poster is actually quoting the post they are replying to, try reading the reply in that context... follow back to the post that he/she replied to, then you won't need to ask dumb questions when the answer to them is right in front of you.
I tried to make sense of your post assuming that and couldn't see the sense.

In answer to your second question, under the US Constitution, Article VI, Section 2, the Constitution itself, like all statutes, is the supreme law of the land.
Yeah. Got that. They, the arguments, are not in the Constitution. So I still don't get how they get the force of the Constitution.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 05:55 PM   #34
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Correct

That's not what Republicans said about Barack Obama who's mother was also American and who was in fact born in the United States.
Old 5th July 2019, 06:14 PM   #35
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
That's not what Republicans said about Barack Obama who's mother was also American and who was in fact born in the United States.
And this minority of law experts that think location of birth matters mat be the majority on the court.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 06:15 PM   #36
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It's so cute when people brag about magna cum laude. That's for people who get B's. Anyone that dumb shouldn't be trusted with eating utensils much less a whole country!
Summa is the reaally tough one to get.

If intellect is what you're looking for, why not support Buttegieg? Harvard and Rhodes scholar. Military veteran. Speaks a half a dozen languages. Modest beginnings so you know he earned it.
Old 5th July 2019, 06:22 PM   #37
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Summa is the reaally tough one to get.

If intellect is what you're looking for, why not support Buttegieg? Harvard and Rhodes scholar. Military veteran. Speaks a half a dozen languages. Modest beginnings so you know he earned it.
His dad was a professor at Notre Dame. That is a huge leg up.

I was summa cum laude!!!!

....from a state school
Old 5th July 2019, 06:22 PM   #38
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

And this minority of law experts that think location of birth matters mat be the majority on the court.
It's never been tested. I don't really care. Even if Obama was born in Kenya (which he wasn't) It wouldn't disqualify because his mother was American. Same goes for Cruz.
Old 5th July 2019, 06:23 PM   #39
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

It's never been tested. I don't really care. Even if Obama was born in Kenya (which he wasn't) It wouldn't disqualify because his mother was American. Same goes for Cruz.
I would put the odds of the supreme Court ruling against that just above slim.
Old 5th July 2019, 06:27 PM   #40
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

His dad was a professor at Notre Dame. That is a huge leg up.
The leg up is his father made education a part of his life. He never had a tv. Surrounded by books and academia certainly would help. But it's not like he took it for granted. Given his background, it is not like he needed to join the service.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics