ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2024 elections , presidential candidates , Ted Cruz

Old 5th July 2019, 06:29 PM   #41
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
The leg up is his father made education a part of his life. He never had a tv. Surrounded by books and academia certainly would help. But it's not like he took it for granted. Given his background, it is not like he needed to join the service.
He had a TV. He shared a photo of him and his dad playing Nintendo.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 06:30 PM   #42
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I would put the odds of the supreme Court ruling against that just above slim.
I agree. But I doubt the court would even bother with the court challenge. It would he dismissed by the lower courts.
Old 5th July 2019, 06:31 PM   #43
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That sounds like the opposite of modest beginnings.
Fair enough. Compared to Obama and Clinton that's privileged.
Old 5th July 2019, 06:32 PM   #44
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Fair enough. Compared to Obama and Clinton that's privileged.
Here is the photo of kid Pete in front of a TV.

https://time.com/longform/pete-buttigieg-2020/
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 06:34 PM   #45
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

He had a TV. He shared a photo of him and his dad playing Nintendo.
I remember him saying he didn't have a tv. But perhaps he said something similar. And then again, maybe my mind is failing me.
Old 5th July 2019, 07:15 PM   #46
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It's so cute when people brag about magna cum laude. That's for people who get B's. Anyone that dumb shouldn't be trusted with eating utensils much less a whole country!
Sorry, but that's not quite right:

Quote:
•3.5 – 3.7 Cum Laude
•3.8 – 3.9 Magna Cum Laude
•4.0+ Summa Cum Laude

Magna Cum Laude is an academic honor of distinction that is typically awarded to a student who graduates in the top 10% or 15% of their class.
https://corporatefinanceinstitute.co...gna-cum-laude/

My daughter graduated university magna cum laude with a BS in computer science. In four years she got 3 B's, the rest were A's. It most certainly is something to brag about.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 07:52 PM   #47
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

My daughter graduated university magna cum laude with a BS in computer science. In four years she got 3 B's, the rest were A's. It most certainly is something to brag about.
It is precisely and exactly right: you get to be magna from having received B's. If you feel that B's are worth bragging about, that's your right. Feel as proud as you like! Your pride will not make 3.9 equal 4.0.
Old 5th July 2019, 11:12 PM   #48
Stacyhs
Philosopher

It's so cute when people brag about magna cum laude. That's for people who get B's. Anyone that dumb shouldn't be trusted with eating utensils much less a whole country!
Quote:
•3.5 – 3.7 Cum Laude
•3.8 – 3.9 Magna Cum Laude
•4.0+ Summa Cum Laude

Magna Cum Laude is an academic honor of distinction that is typically awarded to a student who graduates in the top 10% or 15% of their class.

It is precisely and exactly right: you get to be magna from having received B's. If you feel that B's are worth bragging about, that's your right. Feel as proud as you like! Your pride will not make 3.9 equal 4.0.
No need to get nasty. I certainly wasn't nasty to you nor have I ever been.

If you get ONE B out of 4 years of A's, then you will graduate magna, not summa. I feel sorry for anyone whose parent wouldn't be proud of them graduating in the top 10-15% of their class. They'll rarely, if ever, make that parent proud when perfection is a requirement .
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 11:24 PM   #49
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

No need to get nasty. I certainly wasn't nasty to you nor have I ever been.

If you get ONE B out of 4 years of A's, then you will graduate magna, not summa. I feel sorry for anyone whose parent wouldn't be proud of them graduating in the top 10-15% of their class. They'll rarely, if ever, make that parent proud when perfection is a requirement .
And I'm not "being nasty" to you now. The fact is that magna is the inferior tier to summa. Silver medalists are not gold medalists. You may be wonderfully proud of your son/daughter/butler/corgi winning a silver medal, but you will not convince everyone else that a silver medal is just as good as a gold medal.
Old 5th July 2019, 11:44 PM   #50
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
It's funny, but think about Mayor Pete for a moment. What other qualification does he have for the presidency other than that he's really smart?
He's not a dick?
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 11:58 PM   #51
Stacyhs
Philosopher

And I'm not "being nasty" to you now. The fact is that magna is the inferior tier to summa. Silver medalists are not gold medalists. You may be wonderfully proud of your son/daughter/butler/corgi winning a silver medal, but you will not convince everyone else that a silver medal is just as good as a gold medal.
Please show me where I tried to convince anyone that magna was "superior" to summa.

Your original post demeaned people who graduated magna cum laude as so "dumb they shouldn't be trusted with eating utensils" and mocked people who are proud of it as "cute". I usually find you very witty and funny but your 'wit' in this case is just plain nasty arrogance. Have a good evening.
Old 6th July 2019, 08:25 AM   #52
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Please show me where I tried to convince anyone that magna was "superior" to summa.

Your original post demeaned people who graduated magna cum laude as so "dumb they shouldn't be trusted with eating utensils" and mocked people who are proud of it as "cute". I usually find you very witty and funny but your 'wit' in this case is just plain nasty arrogance. Have a good evening.
I fear I can't give you higher than a B, for missing the point. Which was that it's stupid to brag about one's GPA in the context of running for the presidency, as if that's a qualification. Ooooh, he did a really good project on Pearl Buck in freshman English, earning so much approval from the adjunct professor! Put him in charge! He'll Make America B+ Again!
Old 6th July 2019, 11:08 AM   #53
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I fear I can't give you higher than a B, for missing the point. Which was that it's stupid to brag about one's GPA in the context of running for the presidency, as if that's a qualification. Ooooh, he did a really good project on Pearl Buck in freshman English, earning so much approval from the adjunct professor! Put him in charge! He'll Make America B+ Again!
I wouldn't say it's a qualification. But then again I wouldn't want a moron that threatens legal action against anyone exposing his grades running the country. I like to know that the people running this country know how to think and have demonstrated that they can.

Graduating Magna Cum Laude IS a substantial academic achievement. Especially when it's at an exclusive university. If you don't think so, you're an idiot.

Last edited by acbytesla; 6th July 2019 at 11:31 AM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 12:27 PM   #54
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Graduating Magna Cum Laude IS a substantial academic achievement. Especially when it's at an exclusive university. If you don't think so, you're an idiot.
Indeed. Second place is very wonderful and magnificent.

Just a little less wonderful and magnificent than first place.

I'm too polite to suggest someone's an idiot if they can't see that, so I'd say they're very smart, just not the topmost rank of smartness. If only there were some sort of way to indicate tiers of academic achievement, some sort of system by which we could indicate someone's very smart but didn't quite make it all the way to the tippy top. But there is no such system so I guess we can't possibly quantify academic achievement.
Old 6th July 2019, 01:07 PM   #55
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed. Second place is very wonderful and magnificent.

Just a little less wonderful and magnificent than first place.

I'm too polite to suggest someone's an idiot if they can't see that, so I'd say they're very smart, just not the topmost rank of smartness. If only there were some sort of way to indicate tiers of academic achievement, some sort of system by which we could indicate someone's very smart but didn't quite make it all the way to the tippy top. But there is no such system so I guess we can't possibly quantify academic achievement.

No, you just try to degrade a seriously impressive academic achievement of others. Yea, that's polite.

Second place among thousands is ***** impressive. You remind me of how Teddy Roosevelt's describe critics in his speech about the man in the arena.
Old 6th July 2019, 01:10 PM   #56
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't say it's a qualification. But then again I wouldn't want a moron that threatens legal action against anyone exposing his grades running the country. I like to know that the people running this country know how to think and have demonstrated that they can.

Is a substantial academic achievement an actual achievement?
Old 6th July 2019, 01:10 PM   #57
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
It's funny, but think about Mayor Pete for a moment. What other qualification does he have for the presidency other than that he's really smart?
He’s served as a Mayor, which means he at least has an idea about what is involved with being in government, which, along with being smart, makes him vastly better qualified than Trump.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 01:25 PM   #58
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
He’s served as a Mayor, which means he at least has an idea about what is involved with being in government, which, along with being smart, makes him vastly better qualified than Trump.
I like Mayor Pete a lot but I have to admit that I think he should get more experience in government by running for a seat in Congress before running for POTUS. He's young and has time to get that experience.
Old 6th July 2019, 01:29 PM   #59
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

At least Pete can read the briefing books.
Old 6th July 2019, 01:41 PM   #60
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I like Mayor Pete a lot but I have to admit that I think he should get more experience in government by running for a seat in Congress before running for POTUS. He's young and has time to get that experience.
You think being a member of Congress prepares you for being President? What I like most about Mayor Pete is his thorough understanding of politics and history. I'd be more comfortable if he had been a governor, but he's from Indiana...so not much chance of him being governor there.
Old 6th July 2019, 01:58 PM   #61
Stacyhs
Philosopher

You think being a member of Congress prepares you for being President? What I like most about Mayor Pete is his thorough understanding of politics and history. I'd be more comfortable if he had been a governor, but he's from Indiana...so not much chance of him being governor there.
I think it better prepares a person as it allows them to understand first hand the mechanisms of how the federal government works in reality. It allows them to establish contacts and build a network. That is no small thing.

I think Buttigieg has a bright future in government. He is obviously brilliant but also seems to have common sense besides being, imo, personally a decent human being...all characteristics the current White House resident lacks.
Old 6th July 2019, 02:16 PM   #62
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I think it better prepares a person as it allows them to understand first hand the mechanisms of how the federal government works in reality. It allows them to establish contacts and build a network. That is no small thing.

I think Buttigieg has a bright future in government. He is obviously brilliant but also seems to have common sense besides being, imo, personally a decent human being...all characteristics the current White House resident lacks.
7 years of being mayor in a mid size city is actually a serious job. There is a lot more responsibility than you ever might assume on Capitol Hill.
Right now, he's in my top 3. Harris and Warren being the other two.
Old 6th July 2019, 03:06 PM   #63
Stacyhs
Philosopher

7 years of being mayor in a mid size city is actually a serious job. There is a lot more responsibility than you ever might assume on Capitol Hill.
Right now, he's in my top 3. Harris and Warren being the other two.
I didn't say it wasn't a serious job. Running a mid size city is its own experience, but it isn't the same as learning how to navigate Congress and dealing with longtime powerhouses like McConnell, Pelosi, Schumer, Graham, etc. Believe me, I'd vote for Buttigieg over Trump or any of the last crop of GOP candidates without a second thought, but I'd still prefer if he'd get some federal gov't experience under his belt first...experience that Warren, Harris, Biden, and others do have.
Old 6th July 2019, 03:31 PM   #64
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't say it wasn't a serious job. Running a mid size city is its own experience, but it isn't the same as learning how to navigate Congress and dealing with longtime powerhouses like McConnell, Pelosi, Schumer, Graham, etc. Believe me, I'd vote for Buttigieg over Trump or any of the last crop of GOP candidates without a second thought, but I'd still prefer if he'd get some federal gov't experience under his belt first...experience that Warren, Harris, Biden, and others do have.
I don't think that is as important as you make it. Hiring a legislative liason and a good chief of staff would resolve most of those issues. You just have to be willing to listen to them.

I can't imagine voting for Trump over anyone. In fact there is no well known individuals from either party that I wouldn't vote for against Trump with the exception of McConnell maybe. I use to think Pence would also be a non-starter. But I think I'd vote for that religious jerk over Trump. Especially, when we are getting cretins for judges anyway.
Old 6th July 2019, 03:36 PM   #65
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I think it better prepares a person as it allows them to understand first hand the mechanisms of how the federal government works in reality just what a corrupt, back-biting bunch of self-serving asshats they will have to deal with. It allows them to establish contacts and build a network. That is no small thing.

Polite & humorous FTFY

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th July 2019 at 03:39 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 03:41 PM   #66
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I don't think that is as important as you make it. Hiring a legislative liason and a good chief of staff would resolve most of those issues. You just have to be willing to listen to them.

I can't imagine voting for Trump over anyone. In fact there is no well known individuals from either party that I wouldn't vote for against Trump with the exception of McConnell maybe. I use to think Pence would also be a non-starter. But I think I'd vote for that religious jerk over Trump. Especially, when we are getting cretins for judges anyway.
Exactly how important am I making it? I didn't say I wouldn't vote for him so it can't be that important to me. I said I'd prefer he got some federal experience first and I think my stated reasons are well founded and reasonable.
Old 6th July 2019, 03:43 PM   #67
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Polite & humorous FTFY
...and accepted as such. Besides, it's true.
Old 6th July 2019, 04:06 PM   #68
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly how important am I making it? I didn't say I wouldn't vote for him so it can't be that important to me. I said I'd prefer he got some federal experience first and I think my stated reasons are well founded and reasonable.
That's fine. I just don't agree with your analysis. But maybe I'm wrong and you're right.
Old 6th July 2019, 04:19 PM   #69
Stacyhs
Philosopher

That's fine. I just don't agree with your analysis.
That's ok. Having a different opinion is fine.

Quote:
But maybe I'm wrong and you're right.
You learn faster than my husband did!
Old 6th July 2019, 04:42 PM   #70
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That's ok. Having a different opinion is fine.

You learn faster than my husband did!
I said "maybe".
Old 6th July 2019, 04:49 PM   #71
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I said "maybe".
Yeah...so did he.
Old 6th July 2019, 04:59 PM   #72
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah...so did he.
Nice comeback.

But I'm not hubby who if he has half a brain never forgets the maxim "happy wife, happy life".
Old 6th July 2019, 05:03 PM   #73
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Nice comeback.

But I'm not hubby who if he has half a brain never forgets the maxim "happy wife, happy life".
Smart man.
Old 6th July 2019, 05:21 PM   #74
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Dunno about that. Trump is ignorant, incompetent, bigoted, and evil. Would you prefer someone who is is smarter, more competent, just as bigoted, and perhaps even more evil? For example, the subject of this thread, Ted Cruz? Trump may have the Xian right fooled, but Ted is a True Believer.
Old 6th July 2019, 05:29 PM   #75
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Dunno about that. Trump is ignorant, incompetent, bigoted, and evil. Would you prefer someone who is is smarter, more competent, just as bigoted, and perhaps even more evil? For example, the subject of this thread, Ted Cruz? Trump may have the Xian right fooled, but Ted is a True Believer.
Don't get me wrong I can't stand Pence. But Pence I think is not going to ignore judges and has some respect for checks and balances.
Old 6th July 2019, 05:43 PM   #76
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Don't get me wrong I can't stand Pence. But Pence I think is not going to ignore judges and has some respect for checks and balances.
I have to disagree. When you're a fundie, what GAWD tells you trumps everything.
Old 7th July 2019, 10:23 PM   #77
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump pretends that he can change the system through sheer force of his personality.
Pence thinks he can do the same through sheer force of FAITHTM.

Trump's weird style of doing things has proven to be more effective than God time and again.
Old 9th July 2019, 01:26 PM   #78
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I have to give Cainkain 1 credit for one thing. He knows which buttons to push to get a response;first requirement for a successful troll.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 01:54 PM   #79
CORed
Philosopher

More qualified than Trump is a mighty low bar. OTOH, it's enough to make me vote for pretty much anybody who manages to get the Democratic nomination.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 10:44 PM   #80
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I have to give Cainkain 1 credit for one thing. He knows which buttons to push to get a response;first requirement for a successful troll.
Meh, he's too obvious for me. I don't see him as a good troll.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics