ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Charles Krauthammer , conservatives , obituaries , pundits

Old 8th June 2018, 11:15 AM   #1
Bob001
Philosopher

Charles Krauthammer says goodbye.

Conervative-but-not-crazy columnist and commentator Charles Krauthammer announces that his retirement has been compelled by his imminent demise. His positions were often hard to swallow, but he was always intelligent and knowledgable, and his personal story -- getting through medical school and embarking on a distinguished career after being paralyzed for life in an accident -- was an inspiration to anyone.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...?noredirect=on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Krauthammer
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2018, 11:26 AM   #2
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Conervative-but-not-crazy columnist and commentator Charles Krauthammer announces that his retirement has been compelled by his imminent demise. His positions were often hard to swallow, but he was always intelligent and knowledgable, and his personal story -- getting through medical school and embarking on a distinguished career after being paralyzed for life in an accident -- was an inspiration to anyone.
I had no idea he was a quadriplegic. Not my side of economics but I never thought he drank the Fox koolaid.
Old 8th June 2018, 12:50 PM   #3
Cain
Straussian

Cool.
Old 8th June 2018, 01:02 PM   #4
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I did not agree with Krauthamer during the Obama years, but he always kept his attacks to Obama's policies, never played the race card,and rejected the conspiracy theories as crap.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2018, 02:50 PM   #5
CaptainHowdy
Muse

Dying from cancer is not a happy ending but one less pro-israel neocon is always a good thing.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2018, 03:02 PM   #6
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Dying from cancer is not a happy ending but one less pro-israel neocon is always a good thing.
Gee -I disagree with Krauthammer on almost every issue, including many of Israel's policies, and I do not think dying makes one a saint or post-humously correct. I even more strongly disagree with, and I am even angered by, many of the views some post to this forum, including yours. Yet I would not view his death, their deaths, or your death, as a good thing.

And if you hope your views to prevail by this mechanism of attrition you will have to wait for a lot, lot more people to die.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2018, 07:49 PM   #7
Myles
Student

One thing I do not wish to see
is the Reaper that is stalking me.
Myles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2018, 08:39 PM   #8
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I had no idea he was a quadriplegic. Not my side of economics but I never thought he drank the Fox koolaid.
I didn't know that either. I thought he just had a stick up his butt.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2018, 09:52 PM   #9
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's the amazing thing. After this unimaginable catastrophe, he went on with his life as if it was a minor inconvenience. He was a board-certified psychiatrist before he became a columnist.
https://spinalpedia.com/blog/2015/06...s-krauthammer/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2018, 12:21 PM   #10
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Old 9th June 2018, 10:19 PM   #11
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

-1 for our side. Well, as soon as he passes away.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2018, 06:14 AM   #12
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Cool.
I didn't agree with him all that often but he was one of the few on that network who stayed loyal to the country after Trump was elected. Staying loyal in that den of traitors took some moral courage I'm sure.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2018, 10:57 PM   #13
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I didn't agree with him all that often but he was one of the few on that network who stayed loyal to the country after Trump was elected. Staying loyal in that den of traitors took some moral courage I'm sure.
Yeah, that's exactly what I think of when Krauthammer comes up: A guy who stood up for his beliefs. Especially when those beliefs involved killing people.
Old 14th June 2018, 12:31 AM   #14
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

I read and watched Krauthammer, who is one of very, very few people capable of independent thought, and then I see pot shots here that would embarrass a 4 year old.

You don't even think. You regurgitate memetic defense mechanisms for your quasi-religion. There is no thought there, just a mechanical operation as the memeplex that has seized control of the gears in your skull activates you to defend it.

Zero. Independent. Thought.

There are, or were, four people I recognized as capable of independent thought. Him, George Will, Roger Ebert, and Christopher Hitchens.

Please stay out of the grownup areas, children.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 11:58 PM   #15
Cain
Straussian

Thanks for the laugh.
Old 16th June 2018, 02:00 PM   #16
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
I read and watched Krauthammer, who is one of very, very few people capable of independent thought, and then I see pot shots here that would embarrass a 4 year old.

You don't even think. You regurgitate memetic defense mechanisms for your quasi-religion. There is no thought there, just a mechanical operation as the memeplex that has seized control of the gears in your skull activates you to defend it.

Zero. Independent. Thought.

There are, or were, four people I recognized as capable of independent thought. Him, George Will, Roger Ebert, and Christopher Hitchens.

Please stay out of the grownup areas, children.
Krauthammer was fairly good at basic argument. Will, too. Ebert, I suppose, but I find Hitchens much less impressive.

Your list should include David Brooks (though his topics are not always interesting to me).
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2018, 03:50 PM   #17
Myles
Student

He’s gone.
Myles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2018, 03:56 PM   #18
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Fox is carrying it.
Old 21st June 2018, 04:41 PM   #19
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Old 21st June 2018, 05:32 PM   #20
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myles View Post
He’s gone.
Shame. Seemed a decent guy.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2018, 08:56 PM   #21
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

There's a part of me - speaking as someone struggling with a chronical disability - that struggles to respect Krauthammer for a basic set of reasons. He was severely disabled (he seems to have gone to considerable lengths to not have his wheelchair depicted in regular appearances though). He had a medical degree. He was a highly articulate and influential conservative commentator in a country with a shameful social safety net for those struggling with health problems and disability.

He could have been an absolutely key figure in persuading conservative segments of the U.S. of the need for health insurance and safety net reforms. But he chose not to be. I just can't respect that.
Old 21st June 2018, 09:28 PM   #22
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
He could have been an absolutely key figure in persuading conservative segments of the U.S. of the need for health insurance and safety net reforms. But he chose not to be. I just can't respect that.
That's one of the strongest criticisms to be made of him. There is no reason to think that his tremendously expensive lifetime medical and care costs weren't largely covered by group health insurance. Yet he was outspoken about denying all Americans what he took for granted.
Old 24th June 2018, 12:26 PM   #23
Stacko
Philosopher

Charles Krauthammer Has Ashes Spread Over Prosperous, Liberated Iraq

Last edited by Stacko; 24th June 2018 at 12:49 PM.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2018, 12:33 PM   #24
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Linky no worky, try this one.
Old 24th June 2018, 08:54 PM   #25
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
You do know what the Onion is, right?
Old 25th June 2018, 02:15 PM   #26
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

You do know what the Onion is, right?
Apparently Stacko Does Not...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2018, 10:50 AM   #27
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
There's a part of me - speaking as someone struggling with a chronical disability - that struggles to respect Krauthammer for a basic set of reasons. He was severely disabled (he seems to have gone to considerable lengths to not have his wheelchair depicted in regular appearances though). He had a medical degree. He was a highly articulate and influential conservative commentator in a country with a shameful social safety net for those struggling with health problems and disability.

I'm sure he's crushed by your lack of respect for him...
Old 28th June 2018, 08:08 PM   #28
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
I'm sure he's crushed by your lack of respect for him...
Yes, let's "womp womp" all over disability rights and the plight of chronic health problems among those with limited financial means. Hilarious.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events