ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st June 2018, 08:38 AM   #1
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Another Murder By Dog

8-month-old girl in bouncy chair mauled to death by family's pit bull

Quote:
"Nobody wakes up in the morning and thinks they are going to lose the person they love."
No one expects The Spanish Inquisition either.

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 10:18 AM   #2
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Another example of an exxaggerated thread title at ISF. Film at 11.
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 10:42 AM   #3
Cain
Straussian

Dogs kill; they don't murder. This is even true for assault dogs. Nevertheless, I'm shocked. Pitties seem like such gentle creatures. They're almost like butterflies.
Old 1st June 2018, 10:53 AM   #4
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Dogs kill; they don't murder. This is even true for assault dogs. Nevertheless, I'm shocked. Pitties seem like such gentle creatures. They're almost like butterflies.
Have the same view I do on weapons.

I support them, I encourage people to own them if they want and are capable, but I believe in severe penalties for those that **** up.

It's cute, it's friendly, it's also capable of severe damage. If you let a situation occur in which an accident happens your ability to own a pet and in most cases a kid should be removed.

And before I get a dozen rants about how this is a one off, I use the same logic myself. I havnt missed sticking a thrown knife in years, I still won't throw if there are pets in the room let alone children.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 11:03 AM   #5
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
The murder was committed by the owner of the dog and the negligent parents.

Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 11:27 AM   #6
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

What's the purpose of these threads? Is it people who are convinced that all pit bulls are dangerous no matter what versus people who really love pit bulls?

One of my dogs is more of a "Staffordshire terrier" and is probably the most affectionate dog I've had in my life. She does have a jealousy issue where when I try to pet both my dogs at the same time, she tries to get between me and my older Black Lab (named Darwin) and hog all the attention for herself.

That and sometimes really stinky farts.
Mycroft is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 11:44 AM   #7
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
8-month-old girl in bouncy chair mauled to death by family's pit bull

No one expects The Spanish Inquisition either.
Was the point of this thread to discuss this single dog attack because I see nothing newsworthy about this on its own. It isn't unheard of. I keep picturing a bloody stump hanging from a bouncy chair so thanks for that. I already don't like pitbulls.

Last edited by mgidm86; 1st June 2018 at 11:45 AM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 12:17 PM   #8
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

What's the point of most of the threads here?

Drama..

Just trying to mix it up with the " Blanking while blank " adventures...

Old 1st June 2018, 12:34 PM   #9
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

It you haven't got Terry Wogan, Kenny Everett, and an overly long and bendy microphone you're wasting your own time and ours...
Old 1st June 2018, 12:37 PM   #10
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, murder by dog has gone downhill from the days of The Hound Of The Baskervilles...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 01:10 PM   #11
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Before the unleashing of the usual pit bull debate that I expect to take over this thread, I just want to say that a kid squealing and jumping in a bouncing chair is probably one of the better ways of triggering the attack instinct in almost any large predator. That kind of movement is certain to attract their attention and may well suggest to them "ooo- wounded animal- looks like a nice lunch!"

I remember visiting zoos with my kids when they were young and discovered that (1) a creature the size of a toddler really attracts the interest of wolves and large cats, and (2) this interest is greatly intensified if the toddler is skipping around, or pushing a push toy, or making a lot of squealing noises.

Bouncy chair? Like dangling meat on a rope.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 01:14 PM   #12
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
What's the purpose of these threads? Is it people who are convinced that all pit bulls are dangerous no matter what versus people who really love pit bulls?

One of my dogs is more of a "Staffordshire terrier" and is probably the most affectionate dog I've had in my life. She does have a jealousy issue where when I try to pet both my dogs at the same time, she tries to get between me and my older Black Lab (named Darwin) and hog all the attention for herself.

That and sometimes really stinky farts.
Replace pit bulls with guns, yours with a crack action shotgun, and stinky fats with needing to be cleaned all the time and you have your answer.

It's just how debate is done now. Don't try and come to any conclusion just toss out a "gotcha" sorry and act smug.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 02:06 PM   #13
Cain
Straussian

The murder was committed by the owner of the dog and the negligent parents.
No. It's only murder if the grandmother commanded the dog to attack the girl. Negligence is usually a way of charging people for behaving stupidly, but the parents will likely escape any charges. I suppose the authorities could charge the grandmother with involuntary manslaughter, but that would probably require this particular dog having a documented history of aggression.
Old 1st June 2018, 02:07 PM   #14
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Before the unleashing of the usual pit bull debate that I expect to take over this thread, I just want to say that a kid squealing and jumping in a bouncing chair is probably one of the better ways of triggering the attack instinct in almost any large predator. That kind of movement is certain to attract their attention and may well suggest to them "ooo- wounded animal- looks like a nice lunch!"

I remember visiting zoos with my kids when they were young and discovered that (1) a creature the size of a toddler really attracts the interest of wolves and large cats, and (2) this interest is greatly intensified if the toddler is skipping around, or pushing a push toy, or making a lot of squealing noises.

Excellent observation, and refreshingly on topic.

Old 2nd June 2018, 04:01 AM   #15
Myles
New Blood

What's the point of most of the threads here?

Drama..

And I thought you were being dyslexic and meant to post this in Religion and Philosophy...
Myles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2018, 04:10 AM   #16
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
It's just how debate is done now. Don't try and come to any conclusion just toss out a "gotcha" sorry and act smug.
Ah excuse yourself?

It's called "Being Socratic" and it's very, very important to discussions.

Or so I heard.
Old 2nd June 2018, 08:31 AM   #17
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Ah excuse yourself?

It's called "Being Socratic" and it's very, very important to discussions.

Or so I heard.
Cite?
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2018, 08:42 AM   #18
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...g/77-564777885

This time it was a German Shepherd.

When things like this happen you know there is part of the story that doesn't make it to the newspapers. A roomate sleeps through a 5-month old being mauled to death? The family dog turns killer for no reason? Clearly there is missing information.
Mycroft is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2018, 09:34 AM   #19
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

This is why people with small children should only be permitted to have goldfish.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2018, 12:35 PM   #20
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

When things like this happen you know there is part of the story that doesn't make it to the newspapers. A roomate sleeps through a 5-month old being mauled to death? The family dog turns killer for no reason? Clearly there is missing information.
Certainly.

If the parents were out during the day/evening then the babysitter had no business being asleep. What time of day was it? Was the sitter drugged-up in one way or another?

Where was the baby? Why did the dog even have access to the baby?

However, when all does go to hell in a handbasket, I wouldn't expect such a mauling to be noisy. And 'family dogs' do sometimes kill infants and old people. Read up a few posts - dogs seem to see small and vulnerable people, especially fallen people, differently from upright, healthy adults.

The dog attack fatality stats are heavily loaded towards victims who are very young or very old.
Old 16th June 2018, 04:03 PM   #21
Elagabalus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post

Or just turning your back.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Goto 2:03
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2018, 09:38 PM   #22
Mumbles
Philosopher

Cats are known to attack newborns and small children if they're not ready for them as well. Dogs are, of course, more immediately dangerous if they're large, but a nasty cat bite or scratch can cause a brutal infection as well.

Could simply be a matter of not separating the two effectively, or not fully training the dog. Wouldn't call it "murder" unless the dog is being badly abused or deliberately told to attack.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2018, 12:10 AM   #23
CaptainHowdy
Muse

And sometimes pit bulls save lives
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2018, 02:31 AM   #24
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

No unlawful act or neglect? Rrrright...... leaving a dog not under effective control with access to a 5 month old because the responsible care giver wanted a nap is not neglect? Thats just dumb. Sounds like the police have just thrown it in the suffered enough/too hard basket.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2018, 02:35 AM   #25
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Dogs bark when stressed, News at 6.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2018, 07:53 AM   #26
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

ALL of the dogs in my family have quickly bonded to the children, as if they were their puppies.

Who's dog was it? Feral history? I ask because baby cries can sound like wounded rabbits. Useful for calling coyotes.
Old 17th June 2018, 09:45 AM   #27
Distracted1
Master Poster

Dogs are dirty,irritating, and sometimes dangerous creatures. The fewer of them that share a habitat with human beings, the better.

Conceded in advance that humans are also often dirty, irritating, and dangerous as well.
Old 17th June 2018, 12:45 PM   #28
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Dogs bark when stressed, News at 6.
Someone didn't read the article.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events