ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th April 2017, 02:02 AM   #1
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

First World Festival problems

Fyre Festival in the Bahamas was touted as being a luxury event with great music and beautiful people situated in an exotic cay.

Tickets averaged $12,000.

The reality didn't quite live up to expectations:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...ded-in-bahamas

Quote:
Fyre Festival, co-organised by Ja Rule, promised a "cultural moment created from a blend of music, art and food".

Tickets included a flight from Miami, a stay in a "geodesic dome" and activities including yoga and kayaking.

Festival-goers have described the event as a "complete disaster".
Someone apparently involved with the planning of the festival village, though not brought into until quite late on, comments:

http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/04/fyre...-disaster.html

Quote:
we were led to believe things had been in motion for a while. But nothing had been done. Festival vendors weren’t in place, no stage had been rented, transportation had not been arranged. Frankly, we were standing on an empty gravel pit and no one had any idea how we were going to build a festival village from scratch.
I particularly enjoyed this quote when concerns were raised by planners:

Quote:
A guy from the marketing team said, “Let’s just do it and be legends, man.”
If you want to know how sympathetic people have been to the plight of festival-goers, it's probably pertinent to mention that the cheese "sandwich" supplied to guests has its own Twitter account.

I haven't been to a festival in years, but it strikes me that anything short of preparations similar to those for D-Day are going to result in catastrophe, having been to Glastonbury, which is perhaps the gold standard (at least in the UK) for having a well run event.

It's possible the organisers were simply in over their head. Maybe they were just paying homage to Woodstock, but at least there the people got to hear the bands play.

Last edited by commandlinegamer; 29th April 2017 at 02:06 AM.
commandlinegamer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2017, 02:15 AM   #2
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Any event for which you're paying $12,000 isn't a "festival" as far as I'm concerned. It's all hilarious to me.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2017, 06:26 AM   #3
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Any event for which you're paying $12,000 isn't a "festival" as far as I'm concerned. It's all hilarious to me.
How is it not a festival?

a : a time of celebration marked by special observances
b : feast 2
: an often periodic celebration or program of events or entertainment having a specified focus a daffodil festival a Greek festival
: gaiety, conviviality
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2017, 07:31 AM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

At $12,000 per ticket, it's an executive retreat with a festival theme.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2017, 07:34 AM   #5
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It's a bad sign when the organizers manage to misspell the name of their own festival, and it's only a four letter word.
Old 29th April 2017, 07:59 AM   #6
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
At $12,000 per ticket, it's an executive retreat with a festival theme.
What is the difference?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2017, 08:33 AM   #7
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

The only way this could have turned out worse is if Donald Trump had organized it.

And who the hell pays that kind of money to see Blink 182?

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2017, 08:36 AM   #8
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The organizer says that the photo of the cheese sandwich isn't from the festival.

Some articles talk about feral dogs roaming throughout and thugs looting alcohol.
Old 29th April 2017, 08:42 AM   #9
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post

: an often periodic celebration or program of events or entertainment having a specified focus a daffodil festival a Greek festival
That would be a great point if dictionary definitions always conveyed the entirety of what words actually mean to people in day-to-day use. Perhaps it would be helpful if you could list a few more music festivals that require spending thousands of US dollars - beyond actual travel costs - to attend?
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2017, 08:46 AM   #10
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The organizer says that the photo of the cheese sandwich isn't from the festival.

Some articles talk about feral dogs roaming throughout and thugs looting alcohol.
I put "sandwich" in quotes, because to me that isn't one, unless they were aiming at some hipster deconstruction.

It's not just the ingredients, some assembly is required, to wit: layering.

Bread, butter*, salad, cheese, butter, bread. It's not rocket science.

* - If there were a special circle of Hell for those who put mayonnaise on a sandwich, I wouldn't complain.
Old 29th April 2017, 09:00 AM   #11
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

That would be a great point if dictionary definitions always conveyed the entirety of what words actually mean to people in day-to-day use. Perhaps it would be helpful if you could list a few more music festivals that require spending thousands of US dollars - beyond actual travel costs - to attend?
None of that seems relevant for what makes something a festival.
Old 29th April 2017, 09:03 AM   #12
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I saw a festival-goer on TV this morning complaining there was no place to plug in phones. Awwww.
Old 29th April 2017, 09:04 AM   #13
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

None of that seems relevant for what makes something a festival.
Old 29th April 2017, 09:06 AM   #14
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
The only way this could have turned out worse is if Donald Trump had organized it.

And who the hell pays that kind of money to see Blink 182?
The "didn't know it was hard" is very trumpish. I have been thinking Trump is more everyman than we give him credit for.
Old 29th April 2017, 09:07 AM   #15
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Seems like the dictionary definition captures all necessary details and nuance.
Old 29th April 2017, 09:29 AM   #16
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post

I haven't been to a festival in years, but it strikes me that anything short of preparations similar to those for D-Day are going to result in catastrophe...
As someone who has worked on a few festivals & many similar events, you are correct. Also, much like D-Day, disaster can always be a tiny hiccup/miscalculation away.
Old 29th April 2017, 10:58 AM   #17
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

If you book them, they will come....
Old 29th April 2017, 08:42 PM   #18
Wildy
Adelaidean

* - If there were a special circle of Hell for those who put mayonnaise on a sandwich, I wouldn't complain.
That depends on the sandwich though, what they were offering as a "sandwich" I can see your issue with it.
Old 29th April 2017, 10:55 PM   #19
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

In fairness, it was "up to "$12,000", not "averaging $12,000".There were just lots of poor schmuck music enthusiasts who scraped together money for their one big trip per year who got royally **********.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 12:25 AM   #20
FenerFan
Illuminator

What a fiasco....they didn't even offer free time in the ball pool.

If you're interested, here's a good article from nymag written by someone who was involved in organizing the festival. They saw pretty quickly that it would be a disaster and bowed out.

Last edited by FenerFan; 30th April 2017 at 12:29 AM.
FenerFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 02:43 AM   #21
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Commentary from a local news site doesn't pull any punches. Apparently the organizers wanted to have a long-standing event moved because it would have clashed. Criticism is also levelled at the Ministry of Tourism for letting things get to this stage.

Quote:
As if getting one’s head around such matters is not enough, for the promoters to have reportedly enquired if the George Town Regatta could be rescheduled lends credence to what Piers Morgan recently described as a US culture of ‘rich, publicity craving, materialistic, talentless, self absorbed, social media fanatics’ who arrogantly believe they can do as they please.

Well, sadly, everyone now knows that one cannot just waltz into a sovereign nation and demand that their wishes be catered to simply because you have a few dollars in your pocket or a trust fund.
http://www.tribune242.com/news/2017/...ers-showed-di/

Last edited by commandlinegamer; 30th April 2017 at 02:44 AM.
commandlinegamer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 11:53 AM   #22
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

One of the festival attendees is suing for $100 million for significant emotional pain and suffering. It's a class action suit on behalf of all attendees.
Old 1st May 2017, 01:08 PM   #23
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-files-lawsuit

Is this likely to go anywhere? Can a lawyer chime in?

Anyway, the organiser is quoted:

Quote:
“We were a little naive in thinking for the first time we could do this ourselves. Next year, we will definitely start earlier. The reality is, we weren’t experienced enough to keep up.”
Ooft.
Old 1st May 2017, 01:59 PM   #24
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Anyway, the organiser is quoted:
"Next year, we will definitely start earlier."
Ooft.
If they haven't already started on next year, they're already wrong.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 07:40 PM   #25
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

There is no next year for these knuckleheads.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 07:44 PM   #26
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Fyre Festival in the Bahamas was touted as being a luxury event with great music and beautiful people situated in an exotic cay.

Tickets averaged $12,000.

The reality didn't quite live up to expectations:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...ded-in-bahamas

Someone apparently involved with the planning of the festival village, though not brought into until quite late on, comments:

I particularly enjoyed this quote when concerns were raised by planners:

If you want to know how sympathetic people have been to the plight of festival-goers, it's probably pertinent to mention that the cheese "sandwich" supplied to guests has its own Twitter account.

I haven't been to a festival in years, but it strikes me that anything short of preparations similar to those for D-Day are going to result in catastrophe, having been to Glastonbury, which is perhaps the gold standard (at least in the UK) for having a well run event.

It's possible the organisers were simply in over their head. Maybe they were just paying homage to Woodstock, but at least there the people got to hear the bands play.
Attempting to give a ****
Old 1st May 2017, 11:28 PM   #27
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by FenerFan View Post
What a fiasco....they didn't even offer free time in the ball pool.

If you're interested, here's a good article from nymag written by someone who was involved in organizing the festival. They saw pretty quickly that it would be a disaster and bowed out.

My favorite part was that he got called to do this in early March for an event in April. I plan my personal vacations further out than that.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:26 AM   #28
Noztradamus
Illuminator

https://www.bustle.com/articles/2005...ttended-before

It's going to be leg endary!
Old 2nd May 2017, 03:19 AM   #29
Information Analyst
Philosopher

The meandering apology on the remnants of their website almost reads like a third party satire on how the organisers of failed festival might try to explain the woeful inadequacy of their "planning."

At its heart, it seems that they decided where they wanted to hold the festival first, without the slightest idea of whether the island location could actually support or even temporarily house the massive influx of people.
Information Analyst is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2017, 05:43 AM   #30
toto
Muse

Judging by the Lord of the Flies references on the news, a lack of celebration, gaiety and conviviality may tend to take away its festival like qualities!
Old 4th May 2017, 04:45 AM   #31
Reeco
Muse

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
The meandering apology on the remnants of their website almost reads like a third party satire on how the organisers of failed festival might try to explain the woeful inadequacy of their "planning."

At its heart, it seems that they decided where they wanted to hold the festival first, without the slightest idea of whether the island location could actually support or even temporarily house the massive influx of people.
Wow, they hired 737 planes!
Reeco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2017, 06:40 AM   #32
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Reeco View Post
They didn't want to risk further poor publicity by being over-booked.
Old 4th May 2017, 04:01 PM   #33
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
There is no next year for these knuckleheads.
They're already promising a next year.
Old 5th May 2017, 04:14 AM   #34
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
They're already promising a next year.
May the odds be ever in their favor.
Old 5th May 2017, 04:16 AM   #35
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Reeco View Post
Yeah, I thought that was a particularly poor choice of wording, as well!
Information Analyst is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 04:18 AM   #36
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Adversity makes for the best memories.

"I was there, locked in that airport."
"My android battery died."
"I ate a rat."

Good times.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 04:19 AM   #37
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
They didn't want to risk further poor publicity by being over-booked.
Boom-tish!
Old 5th May 2017, 07:20 PM   #38
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Adversity makes for the best memories.

"I was there, locked in that airport."
"My android battery died."
"I ate a rat."

Good times.
"I ate a rat." is pretty low on the badness scale. You were hungry, you ate. "A rat ate me" would be something to complain about.
Old 5th May 2017, 07:26 PM   #39
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
"I ate a rat." is pretty low on the badness scale. You were hungry, you ate. "A rat ate me" would be something to complain about.
At Woodstock I pooped in my hat.

(Is this the "secrets you'll never tell" thread?)

No I didn't. I never did that. I wasn't even wearing a hat.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 07:29 PM   #40
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
At Woodstock I pooped in my hat.

(Is this the "secrets you'll never tell" thread?)

No I didn't. I never did that. I wasn't even wearing a hat.
I never borrowed your hat, I gave it back to you, and the poo was there when you gave it to me.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events