ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th May 2018, 10:55 AM   #41
Venom
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'll never understand why certain Americans so proudly champion the language of England as part of nativist pride. I mean, it's foreign! Aren't they supposed to be against that?
And Jesus was a Jew, allegedly.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 10:57 AM   #42
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
People density makes a differene. If the rate of obnoxiousness in NYC is 1/1000 and it's 1/100 in Ottumwa, IA, you are more likely to encointer the obnoxious person walking the streets of NY than you are in Ottumwa, because you cross paths with so many more people in NYC.
Well and a lot of the most obnoxious ones are tourists anyway.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 11:01 AM   #43
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Well and a lot of the most obnoxious ones are tourists anyway.
The only rude person I ran into while in NYC was while hanging out a bar before a show while it was raining or snowing and a guy came into the bar and was bitching about all the damn tourists crowding him out of his bar. He was actively looking to pick a fight with everyone in the bar. It was such an outlier that it was shocking. Everyone else was quite pleasant, even as the seemed to be impatiently waiting for each syllable that came out of our dear southern mouths.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 01:15 PM   #44
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
The only rude person I ran into while in NYC was while hanging out a bar before a show while it was raining or snowing and a guy came into the bar and was bitching about all the damn tourists crowding him out of his bar. He was actively looking to pick a fight with everyone in the bar. It was such an outlier that it was shocking. Everyone else was quite pleasant, even as the seemed to be impatiently waiting for each syllable that came out of our dear southern mouths.
Depends on what you consider 'rude' I think.

I just got back from there last week, and I gotta tell ya, the sidewalks, crosswalks, roads generally, are pretty effing hostile.
Old 17th May 2018, 01:23 PM   #45
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
There was a lovely story floating around some time back, the kind you hope is actually true.

A guy was waiting to pay for his stuff at a small general store. The lady in front of him was chatting to the shopkeeper in a foreign language, and as she turned to leave the guy berates her: "Lady, in this country we speak English. If you want to speak Spanish, go back to Mexico!"

She replies "Sir, that was Cherokee. Perhaps you should go back to England?"

The same thing really did happen in Wales, where a woman bilingual in Welsh and English was scolded by a man who thought she was talking to her kid in an eastern European language
Well, I can vouch for the following:

This happened around 1984. I was bussing home from school. Two asian girls were chattering in an unusual language on a seat in front of me and this grey haired guy - maybe about 50ish years old - gets up out of his seat and commands them to speak in English. "This is Canada, and we speak English here."

OK, so they were obviously Vietnamese or Kampuchean or Laosian or something like that. (North Vancouver took in about 10,000 'boat people' in the 1970s) But I couldn't let this one go.

I was feeling brave, and I was an immortal teenage boy hoping to impress two hot teenage girls in their school uniform kilts and socks - toxic combination in retrospect - so I inserted myself into the conversation, "They're speaking French. Last I heard, that's our national Language. Would you like to continue this conversation in French? Are you even able to speak our national language?"

Dude said, "**** you," pulled the cord, and maaaaaybe that was his stop... either way, he disembarked.
Old 17th May 2018, 02:40 PM   #46
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/17/us/ne...eat/index.html

So this guy was a lawyer. Odd he didn't know what constitutes probable cause for a work site enforcement action by DHS. Did he think ICE agents were going to come running to this restaurant based on his suspicion? It takes more than speaking another language for an immigration enforcement action.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 04:56 AM   #47
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

How do you know he wasn't? Lack of Irish accent in his neigh?
I didn't say I was sure he wasn't (or that the people I met were for that matter) just that he was the only one that didn't actually appear to be Irish.
Old 18th May 2018, 05:56 AM   #48
3point14
Pi

Looks fun:

https://deadspin.com/the-sports-high...ium=socialflow
Old 18th May 2018, 06:40 AM   #49
Dragon
Graduate Poster

There was a lovely story floating around some time back, the kind you hope is actually true.

A guy was waiting to pay for his stuff at a small general store. The lady in front of him was chatting to the shopkeeper in a foreign language, and as she turned to leave the guy berates her: "Lady, in this country we speak English. If you want to speak Spanish, go back to Mexico!"

She replies "Sir, that was Cherokee. Perhaps you should go back to England?"

The same thing really did happen in Wales, where a woman bilingual in Welsh and English was scolded by a man who thought she was talking to her kid in an eastern European language

There's an XKCD for that -
Old 18th May 2018, 10:25 AM   #50
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Well, I can vouch for the following:

This happened around 1984. I was bussing home from school. Two asian girls were chattering in an unusual language on a seat in front of me and this grey haired guy - maybe about 50ish years old - gets up out of his seat and commands them to speak in English. "This is Canada, and we speak English here."

OK, so they were obviously Vietnamese or Kampuchean or Laosian or something like that. (North Vancouver took in about 10,000 'boat people' in the 1970s) But I couldn't let this one go.

I was feeling brave, and I was an immortal teenage boy hoping to impress two hot teenage girls in their school uniform kilts and socks - toxic combination in retrospect - so I inserted myself into the conversation, "They're speaking French. Last I heard, that's our national Language. Would you like to continue this conversation in French? Are you even able to speak our national language?"

Dude said, "**** you," pulled the cord, and maaaaaybe that was his stop... either way, he disembarked.
So, were the young ladies impressed???
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 10:28 AM   #51
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I was wondering, were they actually speaking French?
Old 18th May 2018, 10:53 AM   #52
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'll never understand why certain Americans so proudly champion the language of England as part of nativist pride. I mean, it's foreign! Aren't they supposed to be against that?
As if American had anything to do with English.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 11:27 AM   #53
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

.........The same thing really did happen in Wales, where a woman bilingual in Welsh and English was scolded by a man who thought she was talking to her kid in an eastern European language
Can't be true. Everyone knows that Welsh sounds like no other language on earth. It's the only one which sounds like a cat trying to cough up a fur ball.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 12:34 PM   #54
Minoosh
Philosopher

My Trump-supporting brother wants to learn Spanish - he says that a lot - but he keeps trying to impose English pronunciation rules on Spanish. When you know those (pretty basic) rules, Spanish is a remarkably reliable phonetic language. There are a few quirks, but it's nowhere near as capricious as English.

My brother seems sincere, and basically decent, so I don't despair of all Trump voters.

This hostility to Spanish has been going on for decades. A ballot initiative aimed at making my state's official language English 30 or so years ago was defeated by a razor-thin margin. Supporters often specifically used the word "babble" - "they were babbling away in Spanish" - and I think maybe there is some atavistic paranoia that people were talking about them.

If you need a safe space from other languages NYC is probably not the place to live.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 01:03 PM   #55
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Judging from the other videos, Mr. Schlossberg doesn't appear to be all there. I find that people of Mr. Schlossberg's ilk really get miffed when people start code switching.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 01:11 PM   #56
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Judging from the other videos, Mr. Schlossberg doesn't appear to be all there. I find that people of Mr. Schlossberg's ilk really get miffed when people start code switching.
A skill that I am jealous of, and find entertaining to follow.

I live in Vancouver, and hybrid conversations are completely normal. Some have nicknames, like "Chinglish".

I overheard one at a neighbouring table a few years ago, and my wife told me my eyebrows kept rising higher and higher every time an English or recognizable Hindi word floated over.

blablablablabla shovel (eyebrows raised) blablablablabla stickbat (eyebrows raised) blablablablabla match (eyebrows raised) blablablablabla blacks (eyebrows raised) blablablablabla ashes (eyebrows raised above hairline)

Basically, two Indian patrons discussing the latest test match. But in my head, I thought maybe they bludgeoned, burned, and buried a guy off the strip at Vegas.
Old 18th May 2018, 01:13 PM   #57
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

I was wondering, were they actually speaking French?
Perfect Parisienne. Which, in his defense, is not Quebecois, so perhaps technically they were not speaking a Canadian dialect.

And it makes sense: educated Vietnamese, Kampucheans, &c, born in the 1960s would have been taught French, it was their national language at the time.
Old 18th May 2018, 01:17 PM   #58
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I'd say no and yes.

I was sixteen, so didn't know how to 'close the deal' with older girls, nothing really came of it datingwise.

But twentyish years later, I was hiking on Grouse and an asian woman pointed me out to her friend and said, "That's the bus guy," when they were passing in the other direction. I just nodded, drawing a blank. But on the way home, "Ah! Right! She must have been one of those girls in the 80s." So maybe I gave her a story to tell friends.
Old 18th May 2018, 06:52 PM   #59
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

He had also been arrested at a Phillies game back in 2009. Seems like a real stand up guy.
http://www.phillyvoice.com/racist-ny...phillies-game/
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 07:00 PM   #60
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

How totally unsurprising.
Meanwhile, in every dang video, and there are getting to be quite a few of them, he's pointing a white phone at everyone. Is he going to post those videos at some point?

I feel kind of sorry for the other young attorney in his practice. Then again, she must have figured out what he's like by now.
Old 18th May 2018, 09:01 PM   #61
Elagabalus
Illuminator

I'm starting to think that he's bipolar.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 10:01 PM   #62
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

There seems to have been some fun outside the guy's law office today. My understanding is it was paid for via a GoFundMe or something along those lines.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2018, 12:26 AM   #63
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
He had also been arrested at a Phillies game back in 2009. Seems like a real stand up guy.
http://www.phillyvoice.com/racist-ny...phillies-game/
Well, look at that, he's suffered zero consequences for his (apparent) prior anti-social behaviour and, surprisingly, he's not amended his ways.
Old 19th May 2018, 11:57 AM   #64
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

The first non native language spoken in the Americas was Spanish.
Old 19th May 2018, 12:12 PM   #65
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
We wanted the place cleaned up first.
Old 19th May 2018, 11:12 PM   #66
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Yeah, provided we ignore Leif Erickson and the like. And before them the successive waves of Asians that came across the Bering pass.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2018, 02:02 AM   #67
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Yeah, provided we ignore Leif Erickson and the like. And before them the successive waves of Asians that came across the Bering pass.
The Scandinavians did not stay and there is no record of getting natives to speak their language.

The people who arrived from Asia are what became the native Americans.

The Spanish were the first to settle, stay and get others to speak their language.

English came along afterwards and became the primary language in North America, but there has always been large areas where Spanish (and French) is widespread.
Old 20th May 2018, 02:25 AM   #68
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

I don’t have a problem with people speaking whatever language they like. I do have a problem with people in customer-facing positions who can’t understand people speaking in the local language, or speak it clearly themselves. I’d make allowances for people running an ethnic restaurant, for example, but when I went to a branch of a bank in the US, I didn’t expect to have to deal with someone for whom English was clearly their second language.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2018, 09:22 AM   #69
crackers
Muse

Most of the clerks at my local branch bank have heavy Spanish accents but they don't have any difficulty understanding what I want. I don't have any more difficulty understanding them than I do understanding people who speak English without the accent (I have a slight hearing loss, so I sometimes have to ask people to repeat what they said).
crackers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2018, 11:43 AM   #70
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I donít have a problem with people speaking whatever language they like. I do have a problem with people in customer-facing positions who canít understand people speaking in the local language, or speak it clearly themselves. Iíd make allowances for people running an ethnic restaurant, for example, but when I went to a branch of a bank in the US, I didnít expect to have to deal with someone for whom English was clearly their second language.
I once had to stay a a Holiday Inn near the airport outside of Paris. The person at the desk spoke the most reluctant English. It seemed as if she knew the language and really wished she worked at a chain where she didn't have to stoop to speaking it.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2018, 11:45 AM   #71
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
What the hell is a local doing near a show? My god time square is horrible.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2018, 11:46 AM   #72
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Depends on what you consider 'rude' I think.

I just got back from there last week, and I gotta tell ya, the sidewalks, crosswalks, roads generally, are pretty effing hostile.
It is really frustrating when you are trying to get somewhere and your route is clogged with tourists standing round in the middle of everything. They also litter more often on the subway.
Old 1st June 2018, 08:09 PM   #73
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
On my one trip to NYC everyone I spoke to was helpful, friendly, polite...

...and apparently Irish.

Except Roger, he was a horse and not obviously Irish.
The only horse I met in New York did not give his name, but my wife and I enjoyed riding with him!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events