ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags racial incidents , racial issues

Old 28th May 2018, 10:57 AM   #41
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nakani View Post
You shouldn't put trust in them and that invalidates them, giving you no reason to be affected by the racism thus eliminating its power.
THat's not always how it works. The random idiot in the circle of friends? That's one thing. The guy you report directly to on the job or at school, the potentially violent cop? You have to deal with them, and that means taking their nonsensical behavior into account.

Quote:
I was thinking along the lines of maybe the kkk are having a rally and instead of going across the street and protesting, clashing up with the skinheads and police. You would then just let them have their little costume party, be free of all the negativity created by engaging these people.
But let's consider Trayvon Martin. He's walking home from the store, some violent person takes offense for no coherent reason, and begins chasing him around, and ends up shooting him in an alley. ANd the police show up, and the chief says "I'm sure Trayvon regrets what he did."

Okay, now what? Let that slide?

Let's go to Ferguson. A memeber police force with a long and well-known history of levying wild fines on black residents to fund the government, often beating people without cause, ruining lives, and once fining a man for bleeding on them as they beat him, shoots a guy in broad daylight.

ANd this shooting in particular may have actually been justified.

But do you believe them when they say so? ANd when you come out to see what's happening, and the police *immediately* call for mine-resistant vehicles, and stand around with police dogs and shotguns, and wreck any memorial that was put up...well, now what do you do?

In Martin's case, people organized rallies. In Ferguson, people responded to community-wide intimidation with violence.

Quote:
If you are a member of the kkk how would you define a successful rally, one where the police had to protect them or one where nobody even cared?
People can respond to the KKK and the hate groups as they wish - the question is, what do you do when the local government functions as a hate group?

Also, what do you do when the federal government is committed to turning the other way or outright supporting them, as Dolt 45's administration is?
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2018, 11:11 AM   #42
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

These same people will also not hesitate to waste their time making a big show of pointing out any bit of racism they can find. For what then?
For themselves and others. I think a diffident voice is always valuable in a healthy society, even when I disagree.
Old 28th May 2018, 11:22 AM   #43
mgidm86
Illuminator

Thought I'd toss theses new stories into the cage for you.

Quote:
Cops lay smackdown on white girl at beach.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/05/...-jersey-beach/

No racism, just white cops having fun.

Quote:
White cop run over and killed by black teen burglar(s)

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...212028614.html

No racism maybe, burglar just trying not to go to jail.
Have fun.
Old 29th May 2018, 06:33 AM   #44
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Well, that didn't take long.

These same people will also not hesitate to waste their time making a big show of pointing out any bit of racism they can find. For what then? Engaging every fool who says something stupid won't eliminate racism. No rally or protest is going to make everyone like black people. There are lots of people in the world who don't like other people and there always will be. I look forward to a day when African Americans can get over it, accept this and move on, only then will racism lose its power.
No if they did that they wouldn't have time for anything else. I mean when you want to see whining about nothing look at the so called war on Christmas. The mere acknowledging that Jews exist is triggering for many Christians.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2018, 06:36 AM   #45
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
What concrete positive changes can you point to as a result of the protests and riots following Martin's death, and heh, the police attack on Ferguson?

You don't have to be an apologist for everything that stupid black individuals do. Defending the mob is a mistake, whether it's a white mob or a black mob.
Exactly it was as bad as that criminal march on Selma by that criminal dr King. Fortunately the cops knew what to do then. Bloody Sunday really needs to be a time to celebrate the heroes of law and order that the are the police.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events