ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags health care issues , pharmaceutical companies

Old 17th December 2015, 09:22 AM   #201
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Now will Bill Murray steal the Wo Tang Clan record that this jerk purchased as is specified in the contract of sale?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2015, 05:53 PM   #202
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Can the judge set his bail at 5000%?
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2015, 09:02 PM   #203
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

From the Borowitz report:

Lawyer for Martin Shkreli Hikes Fees Five Thousand Per Cent

Quote:
Minutes after Shkreli’s arrest on charges of securities fraud, the attorney, Harland Dorrinson, announced that he was hiking his fees from twelve hundred dollars an hour to sixty thousand dollars.

Shkreli, who reportedly received the news about the price hike while he was being fingerprinted, cried foul and accused his attorney of “outrageous and inhumane price gouging.”

“This is the behavior of a sociopath,” Shkreli was heard screaming.

For his part, Shkreli’s lawyer was unmoved by his client’s complaint. “Compared to what he pays for an hour of Wu-Tang Clan, sixty thou is a bargain,” he said.
Old 18th December 2015, 01:38 AM   #204
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I bet people are going to say that he was arrested for price gouging.
Old 18th December 2015, 01:38 AM   #205
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

If it's not clear, this is satire.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2015, 01:44 AM   #206
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Even if it is clear, it's still satire.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2015, 01:56 AM   #207
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Unfortunately, yes it was clear it was satire. Some of us wish it was not though.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2015, 03:16 AM   #208
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Now will Bill Murray steal the Wo Tang Clan record that this jerk purchased as is specified in the contract of sale?
If it's not clear, this was satire.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2015, 02:15 AM   #209
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

I wonder if he really was trying to humanitarianly force the drug to be cheaper, or if he was trying to make enough to pay off the previous investors.....
Old 20th December 2015, 04:28 AM   #210
Senor_Pointy
Fruity

Well, if this article (and the allegations against him) are correct, it looks like he was a fraudster through and through. I wouldn't be surprised if the daraprim price hike was him either trying to rake up enough to cover his previous losses or nucleate a starting point for another scam.

ETA: Actually, I seem to have misread the end of that. It appears the investors in his first hedge-fund-come-ponzi-scheme were actually paid back by his later ventures.

Last edited by Senor_Pointy; 20th December 2015 at 04:45 AM.
Senor_Pointy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2015, 04:59 AM   #211
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Someone else playing a similar scam:
"Dr. Raymond Schinazi was a federal government employee when he led the team that discovered sofosbuvir, which completely cures hepatitis C patients with an 84-pill regimen, but, as he recently told CBS News, he only worked for the government "7/8th's" of the time -- and, conveniently, it was during the other 1/8th that he found sofosbuvir. He admits now that he made $400 million selling his sofosbuvir company in 2012 to Gilead Sciences, which famously set sofosbuvir's price for 84 pills to $84,000. Now, the Department of Veterans Affairs, with 233,000 war vets with hep-C, tells Congress that it needs much more money, even though Gilead has "cut" the VA's price in half (to $42,000 per treatment, or $9.66 billion). (In a 2013 medical journal, Dr. Schinazi revealed that sofosbuvir could be manufactured for about $17 a pill, or $1,400 for an entire treatment.) [CBS News, 12-1-2015]"

marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 11:52 AM   #212
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Bump

https://harpers.org/archive/2017/09/public-enemy/

Quote:
From the jury selection process that took place over three days in June for the trial of Martin Shkreli, an investor and hedge fund founder who is facing eight counts of securities and wire fraud. In 2015, when Shkreli was CEO of Turing Pharmaceuticals, the company raised the price of its drug Daraprim by 5,000 percent. In 2016, Shkreli was widely criticized for defending the 400 percent increase in the price of EpiPen, an emergency allergy injection sold by Mylan. More than two hundred potential jurors were excused from the trial. Judge Kiyo Matsumoto presided. Benjamin Brafman is a lawyer representing Shkreli.
An example:

Quote:
the court: Okay. We will excuse you. Juror 28, do you need to be heard?

juror no. 28: I don’t like this person at all. I just can’t understand why he would be so stupid as to take an antibiotic which H.I.V. people need and jack it up five thousand percent. I would honestly, like, seriously like to go over there —

the court: Sir, thank you.

juror no. 28: Is he stupid or greedy? I can’t understand.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2017, 05:58 PM   #213
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Bump

https://harpers.org/archive/2017/09/public-enemy/

An example:
Quote:
juror no. 28: Is he stupid or greedy? I canít understand.
False dichotomy.
Old 29th August 2017, 07:11 PM   #214
Nihilianth
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
False dichotomy.
Who cares? It was funny.

(\ (\
( '_' )
o_(")(")
Nihilianth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 05:36 AM   #215
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
False dichotomy.
Not at all. Greedy implies criminal intent. An important distinction if you're asked to convict someone of a crime.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 08:54 AM   #216
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Not at all. Greedy implies criminal intent. An important distinction if you're asked to convict someone of a crime.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
I think technically, the point of false dichotomy is that we don't have to choose one or the other.

The joke being that he can be both stupid and greedy.

ETA: it's actually a good joke structure.

I did a version of it years ago as part of a standup routine.

"People ask if I would prefer to sleep with Ginger or Mary Ann. I tell them they're not thinking big enough."

Last edited by blutoski; 30th August 2017 at 08:56 AM.
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 09:04 AM   #217
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
I think technically, the point of false dichotomy is that we don't have to choose one or the other.

The joke being that he can be both stupid and greedy.

ETA: it's actually a good joke structure.

I did a version of it years ago as part of a standup routine.

"People ask if I would prefer to sleep with Ginger or Mary Ann. I tell them they're not thinking big enough."
It's a good joke structure, but the juror brings up a valid and serious point. Of course the accused can be both stupid and greedy (many criminals are). But if his actions can be attributed to stupidity rather than greed, that affects the juror's idea of an appropriate verdict.

It's easy enough to make the joke. But to me the distinction is more interesting. And it's sometimes frustrating to me how people will exploit the superficial ambiguity of natural language, in order to miss or ignore the clear meaning someone is trying to communicate.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 11:20 AM   #218
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Since when does a juror get to ask questions in public?
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 11:39 AM   #219
Matthew Best
Philosopher

I believe jurors can ask questions any time, but this seems to have been a potential juror during jury selection. As we don't really have the same process in the UK, I'm not sure.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 12:04 PM   #220
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I believe jurors can ask questions any time, but this seems to have been a potential juror during jury selection. As we don't really have the same process in the UK, I'm not sure.
Yes, that's the context. The quote is from a list of quotes, which are reported to be statements from rejected juror candidates.

The idea being that it was difficult for Shkreli's lawyers to find objective candidates in order to pursue a fair trial. Pretty much everybody is predisposed to hating the worm.
Old 13th September 2017, 05:51 PM   #221
NoahFence
Suspended

Bump....

Pharma Bro got his bail revoked for offering $5,000 to anyone who could get him a look of Hillary's hair.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 11:34 PM   #222
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

What an arrogant idiot.
Old 14th September 2017, 03:51 AM   #223
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Bump....

Pharma Bro got his bail revoked for offering $5,000 to anyone who could get him a look of Hillary's hair.
"Lock".
Old 14th September 2017, 04:27 AM   #224
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
What an arrogant idiot.
I've never seen anyone who wears his arrogance on his sleeves like that. He has a perpetual smug face you'd like to punch, as if to say "I'm better than y'all!"

Obviously, he's not.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 05:32 AM   #225
Modified
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I've never seen anyone who wears his arrogance on his sleeves like that. He has a perpetual smug face you'd like to punch, as if to say "I'm better than y'all!"

Obviously, he's not.
It's weird. I don't think I've seen a face like that since I was 12 years old, on a 12-year-old bully. Even bullies grow out of that as teenagers.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events