IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , evangelicals , paula white

Old 8th January 2021, 11:07 AM   #1
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Evangelicals and Trump - after the Washington riots

Quote:
With the White House in the background, Pastor Paula White leads a prayer Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2021, in Washington, at a rally in support of President Donald Trump called the "Save America Rally." (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin) AP
Trump supporters clash with police near White House as they protest election results (MarketWatch, Jan. 6, 2021)
I don't think Paula White is one of the White House staffers who have abandoned Trump after the attack on the Capitol Building, and she condemned the violence only after Trump had told people to go home (and that they were right about the election having been stolen): Paula White-Cain on Twitter

But what will the Evangelicals be doing politically now that Trump has lost all power? Will they stick to him after the riots? After he's out the White House?

An op-ed in WP hopes for this:
Quote:
The collapse of one disastrous form of Christian social engagement should be an opportunity for the emergence of a more faithful one. And here there are plenty of potent, hopeful Christian principles lying around unused by most evangelicals: A consistent and comprehensive concern for the weak and vulnerable in our society, including the poor, immigrants and refugees. A passion for racial reconciliation and criminal justice reform, rooted in the nonnegotiable demands of human dignity. A deep commitment to public and global health, reflecting the priorities of Christ’s healing ministry. An embrace of political civility as a civilizing norm. A commitment to the liberty of other people’s religions, not just our own. An insistence on public honesty and a belief in the transforming power of unarmed truth.
Trump’s evangelicals were complicit in the desecration of our democracy (WP, Jan. 7, 2021)

But that doesn't really seem to be of this world ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 8th January 2021 at 11:08 AM.
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 02:06 PM   #2
GDon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dann View Post
But what will the Evangelicals be doing politically now that Trump has lost all power? Will they stick to him after the riots? After he's out the White House?
Is there anything to stick to once Trump is out of the White House? They'll wait for the next person who promises them things to come along.

If anything, it's shown that there is still such a thing as 'the Evangelical vote'. Trump was a popularist thug, but an incompetent one. Prepare for someone worse than Trump -- a popularist competent thug -- to exploit the Evangelical vote to come along.
GDon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 03:13 PM   #3
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

One thing is for sure, expect rationalizations that this was God's plan, they just aren't clear yet what the goal is.
Old 8th January 2021, 05:48 PM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Off to Right Wing Watch now, will report back....

ETA1: Michele Bachmann.

ETA2, from the night before.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 8th January 2021 at 05:55 PM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 11:44 PM   #5
dejudge
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GDon View Post
Is there anything to stick to once Trump is out of the White House? They'll wait for the next person who promises them things to come along.

If anything, it's shown that there is still such a thing as 'the Evangelical vote'. Trump was a popularist thug, but an incompetent one. Prepare for someone worse than Trump -- a popularist competent thug -- to exploit the Evangelical vote to come along.
The majority of people who voted for the incompetent one were not Evangelicals.
dejudge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 04:24 AM   #6
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

Most of those aren't Evangelicals, but ...
Quote:
California pastor Ché Ahn, a leader of the dominionist New Apostolic Reformation, called this week the most important in U.S. history. “I believe that this week we’re going to throw Jezebel out and Jehu’s gonna rise up, and we’re gonna rule and reign through President Trump and under the lordship of Jesus Christ.” (In the Bible, Jehu overthrew the wicked queen Jezebel and slaughtered her family; Pentecostal Christians often refer to the “Jezebel spirit” as a demonic influence in the world.) Ahn said the election was “stolen” from Trump in “the most egregious fraud” in U.S. history. He predicted that Trump would be president for four more years and the U.S. would become a “red” nation “in perpetuity.”

However, the question is what they'll be doing after Trump.
1) What will they do merely for opportunistic reasons?
2) What will be the Biblical interpretation of what they do? Why didn't the Trump-as-a-modern-day-Cyrus interpretation work out the way it was supposed to?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 07:05 AM   #7
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

I guess none of those folks got the "heal the divide" memo the GOP is so anxiously passing around as its face (ntm ass)-saving policy going forward. But of course, even if they knew of it, they wouldn't pay any attention, self-righteousness is too potent a high- remember what Barry Goldwater said?

Quote:
Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 08:10 PM   #8
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

There is a photo of a person standing on the gallows platform erected at the Capitol Sunday wearing a sweatshirt that read:

Faith
Family
Freedom.

Family values, I guess.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020

Last edited by Resume; 11th January 2021 at 08:11 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 08:32 PM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dejudge View Post
The majority of people who voted for the incompetent one were not Evangelicals.
Maybe.
But I guarantee most evangelicals voted for Trump.
Old 11th January 2021, 10:30 PM   #10
dejudge
Philosopher

Maybe.
But I guarantee most evangelicals voted for Trump.
I can guarantee that most white people voted for Trump.
dejudge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 12:00 AM   #11
RolandRat
Muse

This stuff actually seems to be turning off some people on the right, especially the far right. Some comments I've seen are from people happy to own what happened on that day and they're disgusted at the Antifa rhetoric that's being pushed.

How widespread that opinion is /shrug but I find it interesting to see how the "event" is being used.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 01:53 PM   #12
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

It sure is amazing just how incredibly stupid religious people can be.

After all, these idiots knew right from the start just Trump is just a worthless POS who is using them to get his own way, and yet these people supported that worthless POS Trump all the same.

And now that the Capitol building was attacked, a few people killed, hundreds have been hurt, and millions of dollars in damage incurred, now the religious types are re-evaluating their support of that POS Trump.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 02:51 PM   #13
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by dann View Post

This victory lap may be premature. He hasn't lost all power yet, and he and his deranged attack dogs can still do a great deal of damage. I half-believe we're going to be living in the Handmaid's Tale come the 17th-20th.

That being said, assuming you're correct that it's over (really hope you are!), I imagine the evangelicals will go back to the same para-political bull **** they always do. Harassing young girls outside abortion clinics, for example.

Honestly, we've basically got a theocratic majority on the Supreme Court at this point, though, so I'm pretty worried.
Old 12th January 2021, 05:40 PM   #14
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
There is a photo of a person standing on the gallows platform erected at the Capitol Sunday wearing a sweatshirt that read:

Faith
Family
Freedom.

Family values, I guess.
Christian values.

Since when have evangelicals had a problem with murder when it suited them?
Old 12th January 2021, 05:47 PM   #15
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Christian values.

Since when have evangelicals had a problem with murder when it suited them?
Not for about 2000 years.
Old 12th January 2021, 06:07 PM   #16
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Not for about 2000 years.
Evangelicals - as a movement - did not exist until around the 1730s. Prior to that but still a lot less than 2000 years ago there were inquisitions and crusades, which had zero qualms about murdering people whom they thought didn't fit with their ideology. But they were (mostly) Catholics, not evangelicals.

Sorry, minor nitpick. Carry on.
Old 14th January 2021, 11:21 PM   #17
maximara
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Butter! View Post
This victory lap may be premature. He hasn't lost all power yet, and he and his deranged attack dogs can still do a great deal of damage. I half-believe we're going to be living in the Handmaid's Tale come the 17th-20th.

That being said, assuming you're correct that it's over (really hope you are!), I imagine the evangelicals will go back to the same para-political bull **** they always do. Harassing young girls outside abortion clinics, for example.

Honestly, we've basically got a theocratic majority on the Supreme Court at this point, though, so I'm pretty worried.
I don't know. The Supreme Court has surprised people in the past.

Also as one story points out liberal lawyers will try to bring only strong cases before the federal courts and the conservatives have so far gone with weak ones. Whole Woman’s Health v. Hellerstedt case in point. Also the conservative have been sloppy with their paperwork to the point the court had no choice but to throw the thing out (Department of Homeland Security v. Regents of the University of California,)
maximara is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 12:51 AM   #18
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post

Faith
Family
Freedom.

Family values, I guess.
Corleone and Soprano family values.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy