IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Old 11th January 2021, 03:58 PM   #1001
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Noisy helicopters flying around Mike Pence's abode:

https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/stat...096580097?s=20

Quote:
Michael Beschloss
@BeschlossDC
Very noisy helicopters flying around Vice President’s residence — what is going on?

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 04:00 PM   #1002
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Is someone moving out today?

Sean Tucker
@seanctucker
·
2h
We constantly have several different kinds of helicopters in the sky over DC, but these are the big white-top passenger transports used only by the White House. You’d use something smaller for surveillance. These have one job, and it’s moving high ranking officials.

https://twitter.com/seanctucker/stat...392535042?s=20

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 04:07 PM   #1003
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
He's been fired..?
Who, Trump?

Pence cannot be fired.

Last edited by acbytesla; 11th January 2021 at 04:17 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 04:11 PM   #1004
dirtywick
Master Poster

Look, there is little doubt there was a conspiracy to overthrow democracy but we don't yet know the extent of it. How to prove it?

Threatening behaviour?

The fire extinguisher: there were quite a few of these lined up in the lobby on clearing up. The person who threw it towards the police: did he intend murder or was it a consequence of reckless behaviour? We don't know. You have to gather the evidence.

So, we can prove for sure illegal entry to restricted areas, violent disorder, trespass. How do you prove someone went there in order to kill the senators. We can strongly suspect there was such a conspiracy but that will take quite a lot of investigation before the charges can be brought and made to stick
because they were yelling that’s what they wanted to do and brought the equipment to do it

And it took deadly force to get them to stop

I think you’re overthinking this

Last edited by dirtywick; 11th January 2021 at 04:12 PM.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 04:24 PM   #1005
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Maybe Arnold could re-enact the final Thulsa Doom scene from Conan the Barbarian, for old times sake...
Then the cult could form lines to throw their MAGA hats into a fire....
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 04:35 PM   #1006
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Paul Gosar. Congressman for AZ’s 4th District still has this tweet up

@DrPaulGosar
5:05 PM · Jan 6
Biden should concede.
I want his concession on my desk tomorrow morning.
Don’t make me come over there.
#StopTheSteaI2021 @ali
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 04:40 PM   #1007
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
they did set up a gallows
And they did kill two cops
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 04:46 PM   #1008
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
FBI warns 'armed protests' being planned at all 50 state capitols and in Washington DC

The FBI has received information indicating "armed protests" are being planned at all 50 state capitols and the US Capitol in Washington, DC in the days leading up to President-elect Joe Biden's inauguration on January 20, according to an internal bulletin obtained by CNN.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/11/p...tol/index.html
So, is now the time to talk about gun control???
Old 11th January 2021, 04:54 PM   #1009
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I am not a politician or a public figure. The person carrying that gallows contraption will say in court, hey, nobody told me I couldn't. Note, usually on demonstrations people are instructed their back packs have to be transparent and they aren't allowed various poles and banners. Jake Angeli, self-styled idiot, has on his charge sheet he was carrying a spear (yes - a deadly weapon) with a US flag attached. Who allowed him to carry such an item? The people in charge of controlling the crowds (the FBI and the police) will be blamed for not even challenging it. I understand that this gallows thing has been seen at other demonstrations.

I went to a football match in which my team were playing another team about to be relegated. Their supporters had a 'funeral march' along the road leading up to the stadium carrying a coffin with the name of their team on it.

Is it really 'intent to hang the vice president' or is it 'gallows humour'?

I present my case, M'Lud.
At the football match, were two cops killed? Did anyone rampage through the players dressing room with zipties and tazers?
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 05:58 PM   #1010
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

"Yes, it was a coup" - Fiona Hill
Old 11th January 2021, 06:11 PM   #1011
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

History of mass arrests made by the Capitol Police

35 Times Capitol Police Arrested More Demonstrators Than the 14 Insurgents Arrested Wednesday

Quote:
In June 2018, US Capitol Police arrested nearly 600 women peacefully protesting President Donald Trump’s family separation and immigration detention policies. On Wednesday, Capitol Police arrested 14 people in response to a violent assault on the Capitol that left a member of the mob and a police officer dead. The overwhelming majority of right-wing extremists who took over the Capitol for the first time since the War of 1812 walked free.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...ted-wednesday/
This article shiws the Capitol Police hypocrisy.

Time for the country to look long and hard at this.
Old 11th January 2021, 08:00 PM   #1012
EHocking
Philosopher

lol bro he killed a wizard with it. let me know when a knife kills a wizard
No, scissors kills a wizard.

Scissors cuts Paper
Paper covers Rock
Rock crushes Lizard
Lizard poisons Spock
Spock smashes Scissors
Scissors decapitates Lizard
Lizard eats Paper
Paper disproves Spock
Spock vaporizes Rock
(and as it always has) Rock crushes Scissors

(if you can believe anything Barry Kripke says)
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 08:08 PM   #1013
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
And they did kill two cops
Everything about this is horrible. They certainly killed one.

But I’m not sure it’s fair to pin an officer committing suicide after the fact on the rioters.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 11th January 2021 at 08:09 PM.
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 11:57 PM   #1014
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
It is still totally ridiculous for a sword. Be as into knives as you want, swords are not just big knives.
it'd not totally ridiculous. I have used a replica forged by Raven Arms in the UK. It's actually is a pretty good sword for a fictional weapon, with just two real exceptions, it's a little bit too short and a bit fat. The blade is slightly shorter than a good arming sword would be, while it has a two-handed grip. The blade is a bit fat and thus heavy too, though it is reasonably well balanced despite the weight. The hilt is probably a little over the top decoration-wise for a RL sword, but for a fantasy sword, it is actually reasonably practical. If the blade was around 20-30cm long and a bit thinner, it would be a very practical weapon.

And if you don't believe me, here an expert on swords speaking on it.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 12th January 2021 at 12:03 AM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 12:18 AM   #1015
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Those look like the feds who went in to extract Babbit after she was shot. They left with her and didn't return.
No, they weren't. They are Oath-Keepers, or at least the first two were based on their outfits (Both had an Oth-Keeper shirt on under their Tactical vest, and the first had an Oath-Keeper patch on his backpack) and so the likely bet is that the rest of the group is as well. One of the others had a triangle with the "Don't tread on me" snake emblem in it on his backpack. The leader also has a patch that says "I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence." There are clear photos of the group that have been posted.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 04:15 AM   #1016
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
One can only refer to it as a coup darling if it's from the Coup d'etat region of France.

Otherwise it's just sparkling white terrorism.
I prefer 'putsch'. It seems appropriate....
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 04:43 AM   #1017
catsmate
No longer the 1

lol bro he killed a wizard with it. let me know when a knife kills a wizard
Rincewind used a brick in a sock; and he defeated a Sourceror not a mere wizard.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 05:28 AM   #1018
Wudang
BOFH

https://nysba.org/new-york-state-bar...ts-membership/

The New York State Bar Association "President Scott M. Karson has launched an inquiry pursuant to the Association’s bylaws to determine whether Mr. Giuliani should be removed from the membership rolls of the Association."

This would not affect his ability to practice law as it is a voluntary organization.
Old 12th January 2021, 05:48 AM   #1019
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I went to a football match in which my team were playing another team about to be relegated. Their supporters had a 'funeral march' along the road leading up to the stadium carrying a coffin with the name of their team on it.

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
At the football match, were two cops killed? Did anyone rampage through the players dressing room with zipties and tazers?
....While shouting "Hang the Quarterback!" and "Where's that **** the place-kicker?"

The zip-tie guy was with his ******* Mom. He'll claim in court he was just role-playing. You have to somehow get evidence that will secure a conviction.

So he's a terrorist who is willing to use his own mom as a human shield. Not really making a good case here.

**** all these guys, and anyone making excuses for them. The Ram Has Touched The Wall, and they are all forfeit.
Old 12th January 2021, 07:40 AM   #1020
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Hard to say, but I note the Vice President didn't stick around to find out, which seems wise.

Even if it were meant as gallows humor, in every angry mob it always seems like there's a handful of people who don't get the joke.

ETA: But, to your point elsewhere, securing convictions on such evidence is difficult.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 12th January 2021 at 07:41 AM.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 07:58 AM   #1021
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
No, scissors kills a wizard.

Scissors cuts Paper
Paper covers Rock
Rock crushes Lizard
Lizard poisons Spock
Spock smashes Scissors
Scissors decapitates Lizard
Lizard eats Paper
Paper disproves Spock
Spock vaporizes Rock
(and as it always has) Rock crushes Scissors

(if you can believe anything Barry Kripke says)
I have always objected to this scheme, presenting Spock as a phasering brute who writes discredited papers.

Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Scotty works better. Just change it to "Scotty disassembles scissors".

Last edited by gnome; 12th January 2021 at 08:01 AM.
gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 07:59 AM   #1022
Wudang
BOFH

Interesting read https://arcdigital.media/qanon-woke-...e-72bbfcb79488
He quotes David Frum "if you replaced “Deep State” with “rule of law,” you’d have a better understanding of Trumpist complaints."
Quote:
Looting is bad, but it’s a problem for police and insurance companies. Trying to burn down a police station or courthouse is worse, but that too is a law enforcement problem, perhaps one requiring federal assistance. Storming the Capitol, forcefully hindering the execution of U.S. law, and trying to kill top elected officials is a national security problem.
What you did was on another level, and the reaction will be too.
Old 12th January 2021, 08:18 AM   #1023
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
No, they weren't. They are Oath-Keepers, or at least the first two were based on their outfits (Both had an Oth-Keeper shirt on under their Tactical vest, and the first had an Oath-Keeper patch on his backpack) and so the likely bet is that the rest of the group is as well. One of the others had a triangle with the "Don't tread on me" snake emblem in it on his backpack. The leader also has a patch that says "I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence." There are clear photos of the group that have been posted.
I was misled by something I saw that misidentified them. It didn't seem to be the right gear for the feds, actually.
Old 12th January 2021, 08:30 AM   #1024
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Sadly, the highlighted doesn't preclude them being actual riot police on duty - based on some of the photos from the summer.
Old 12th January 2021, 08:30 AM   #1025
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
It is my understanding that, traditionally, the Secret Service has not had much of a sense of humor abut such things.

Harlan Ellison has told a story about the time that a disgruntled fan felt that he wasn't sufficiently grateful to her for "making him famous", so she called the Secret Service and claimed that he had threatened to kill the President. In that situation, with absolutely nothing to support the claim, they were required to go to his home and conduct an interview/investigation.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 08:42 AM   #1026
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Interesting read https://arcdigital.media/qanon-woke-...e-72bbfcb79488
He quotes David Frum "if you replaced “Deep State” with “rule of law,” you’d have a better understanding of Trumpist complaints."
Excellent read, and the quoted section is a perfect rebuttal to the whataboutism being floated by Republicans and conservative media.

Thanks for posting it!
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 09:11 AM   #1027
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Hard to say, but I note the Vice President didn't stick around to find out, which seems wise.

Even if it were meant as gallows humor, in every angry mob it always seems like there's a handful of people who don't get the joke.

ETA: But, to your point elsewhere, securing convictions on such evidence is difficult.
Any of the right wing terrorists who stepped foot on Capitol grounds is already guilty of seditious conspiracy. The intent of those roaming the halls with weapons in search of government officials shouldn’t be difficult to prove beyond that starting point.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 10:32 AM   #1028
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
I have always objected to this scheme, presenting Spock as a phasering brute who writes discredited papers.

Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Scotty works better. Just change it to "Scotty disassembles scissors".
https://youtu.be/OMa1i3ITBbo
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 12:00 PM   #1029
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Well, of course, it's not rock, scissors, paper, it's ick, ack, ock.

Old 12th January 2021, 01:03 PM   #1030
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

DOJ Live Press Conference due to start. I think it is running late.

Quote:
Acting U.S. Attorney Michael Sherwin and the FBI are expected to provide more details both on the attack on the U.S. Capitol and the charges brought against some of those involved.

The press conference is expected to begin at 3 p.m.
https://www.wbur.org/news/2021/01/12...ess-conference

Old 12th January 2021, 01:51 PM   #1031
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Maybe. I'm always a bit skeptical since I sold that kind of equipment for thirty years. I have read many exaggerations from so called authorities about the level of detail. It all depends on the setup. So much of the Capitol is stone and granite. It was probably a nightmare to set up to receive decent cell service. That is until the last 15 years and the advent of microcells. These are just like any other cell phone antenna except they run at very low power to limit their coverage. I am just not personally knowledgeable of the Capitol's cell service structure.

You combine this with video surveillance, social networks and the like and you very well maybe be able to do that.
That was a couple of days ago, but the data miner in me says just get all the numbers connected to any tower within 1 km of the Capitol, then cross-reference them with where their usual area is. If they're from outside Washington and near the Capitol, it's highly likely they were rioters, so it gives you a massive and easy database to start from.

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I prefer 'putsch'. It seems appropriate....
Ah, now I have it!

Putzch.
Old 12th January 2021, 02:22 PM   #1032
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

I am not a politician or a public figure. The person carrying that gallows contraption will say in court, hey, nobody told me I couldn't. Note, usually on demonstrations people are instructed their back packs have to be transparent and they aren't allowed various poles and banners. Jake Angeli, self-styled idiot, has on his charge sheet he was carrying a spear (yes - a deadly weapon) with a US flag attached. Who allowed him to carry such an item? The people in charge of controlling the crowds (the FBI and the police) will be blamed for not even challenging it. I understand that this gallows thing has been seen at other demonstrations.

https://twitter.com/DonnieJrsChin/status/1348922343121412096

This guy could be some hot headed idiot who doesn't really mean it. i mean, people say things they don't mean when caught up in the heat of the moment, right?

Of course, he also went on to beat a police officer with a flag pole. I think it may have been the officer who died (and was also hit with a fire extinguisher) but I'm not sure.
Old 12th January 2021, 02:23 PM   #1033
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
That was a couple of days ago, but the data miner in me says just get all the numbers connected to any tower within 1 km of the Capitol, then cross-reference them with where their usual area is. If they're from outside Washington and near the Capitol, it's highly likely they were rioters, so it gives you a massive and easy database to start from.

Ah, now I have it!

Putzch.
I assumed that they were already doing all that. I would definitely filter it first looking at out of state numbers. There has to be a whole bunch of data mining techniques that would help narrow the sample. Check the numbers to identities then search those identities to Social media posts would be a start.
Old 12th January 2021, 02:41 PM   #1034
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

"No, no, your honour, I wasn't robbing the bank, I was just waving a gun around in the bank yelling "this is a robbery", and either way, what about the BLM riots?!".
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 02:57 PM   #1035
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
"No, no, your honour, I wasn't robbing the bank, I was just waving a gun around in the bank yelling "this is a robbery", and either way, what about the BLM riots?!".
The FBI guy at the press conference today (Stephen Sherwin?) couldn't even bring himself to call the police officer's death, 'murder', and referred to it coyly as 'his passing'.

I don't know about you but I thought the FBI were tough and told it like it is.

Defendant X is brought before the criminal courts.

JUDGE: Sherwin, you may present your case (for it is he).

SHERWIN: Well, Your Honor, Mr X, is charged with er, um, how can I put this delicately? The passing of a police officer.

JUDGE: What do you mean 'passing'? Passing as what? Imitating a police officer?

SHERWIN: Er, no, not quite, Your Honor.

JUDGE|: Passing by? He was passed by the police officer in Capitol Hill? Is that what you are claiming.

SHERWIN: The police officer PASSED AWAY!!! How much clearer do you want me to be? Murdered! Topped!

Old 12th January 2021, 03:00 PM   #1036
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
They will be.
Already shown that not all of them are.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 03:01 PM   #1037
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
https://twitter.com/DonnieJrsChin/status/1348922343121412096

This guy could be some hot headed idiot who doesn't really mean it. i mean, people say things they don't mean when caught up in the heat of the moment, right?

Of course, he also went on to beat a police officer with a flag pole. I think it may have been the officer who died (and was also hit with a fire extinguisher) but I'm not sure.
In this case, you have definite video footage of this guy beating the cop on the steps (it isn't Officer Brian Sicknick on the steps). So you have enough probable cause to charge him with attempted murder.

Simply chanting 'hang Pence' isn't necessarily illegal.

Old 12th January 2021, 03:04 PM   #1038
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
"Also, it wasn't me and I was totally justified in robbing the bank if I had been there!"

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 03:12 PM   #1039
dirtywick
Master Poster

In this case, you have definite video footage of this guy beating the cop on the steps (it isn't Officer Brian Sicknick on the steps). So you have enough probable cause to charge him with attempted murder.

people were all over the country chanting hang pence that day. the ones that tried to make it happen are the ones they should focus on imo
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 04:17 PM   #1040
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

That wasn't my point. Here's a guy who says he wants to carry out violence. Later, he actually goes on to carry out violence.

My point is that you are insistent in minimizing the severe harm potential of the mob involved in this event. Reading your comments, I get the impression that you think that it was not reasonable to believe that this mob would continue carrying out violent actions; or (less likely) that, even if it is obvious, in retrospect, that this would have been the case, it is something that no one could have foreseen during the time when it was actually happening. Either of these positions is absurd.

Not all mobs are equal. Not all mobs have the same stated & unstated intents. Not all mobs are announced in advance with people who are to form such a mob saying that they intend to do bad things. Not all mobs are the same size. Not all mobs are advancing toward congress in session after being prompted to "fight" by their religious cult leader.

In this case, we have one such mob saying that they wish to do a variety of violent things and also doing a variety of violent things. One would be reasonable in supposing that a high likelihood existed of this mob doing more violent things if put into a situation where doing said violent things was an option for them.

It's not that difficult.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics