IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , donald trump , protest incidents , Trump controversies , Washington DC incidents

Old 12th January 2021, 02:09 PM   #1801
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Since there's no official definition of "organic," they could probably feed him almost anything and comply. Or they could feed him the most unpalatable food they can find, as long as it's "organic." Raw fish and prune juice three times a day.
Within the USDA, there is an official definition of "organic" as a food label. I can't remember when they finally made one up, but that label on food in the USA does have a specific meaning.

I tend to go with Jim Gaffigan's definition, noting that "organic" comes from a Greek word that means "twice as expensive".

Of course, Q-Shaman dude probably has his own definition, but that's another story. Whatever. He should be treated like every other criminal in whatever jail he's held.
Old 12th January 2021, 02:10 PM   #1802
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
It's hard to say yet, but seems like the violent crowd of this last riot was not predominantly working class people.

The fascist right, despite it's propaganda, is not a blue collar movement. Lots of arrests of white collar professionals and small business owners this last time around.

Think about what kind of people have disposable income to fly across the country in the middle of the week for a political rally. hell, even the gunman that wanted to murder Pelosi on live TV had an Tavor, an Israeli rifle that is at least twice the cost of AR-15 rifles that are popular in this country.
To be fair, this is a case of survivorship bias,WP. If you have a barrier to access (having to travel across the country on your own dime) you should not be surprised if the only folk there are folk with enough resources to overcome said barrier of access.
Old 12th January 2021, 02:13 PM   #1803
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
There is an official definition. Twenty years old at this point even.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Organic_Program
More than one. That one is just the USDA one.
Old 12th January 2021, 02:17 PM   #1804
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

It's hard to say yet, but seems like the violent crowd of this last riot was not predominantly working class people.

The fascist right, despite it's propaganda, is not a blue collar movement. Lots of arrests of white collar professionals and small business owners this last time around.
Do they claim to be a "blue collar" movement?

There is a real wealth inequality problem in this country that is driving this populist movement in part. And I don't think wealth inequality is only a problem for manual laborers any more. The "working class" is not just blue collar these days.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 02:23 PM   #1805
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Huh. Looks like the Pentagon may be working to rebrand the insurrection as "1st Amendment Protests."
That article doesn't support the claim that "the Pentagon may be working". It's Trumpists within the administration. I'd expect an official rebuke of that shortly.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 02:27 PM   #1806
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Do they claim to be a "blue collar" movement?

There is a real wealth inequality problem in this country that is driving this populist movement in part. And I don't think wealth inequality is only a problem for manual laborers any more. The "working class" is not just blue collar these days.
A lot of journalists and pundits seem to think they are.

Yes, plenty of jobs are working class that aren't traditional "blue collar", but details of the arrests show plenty of well-off people were taking an active role in the violence.

So far we've had an in-house attorney, a tech ceo, several state politicians, a woman wearing a $1,000+ designer sweater, the son of a judge, small business owners, a retired USAF Lt. Colonel.

It's not toothless rednecks, it's more likely to be some guy that owns a Honda dealership in the suburbs.

Quote:
An insurrection of upper-middle class white people | Will Bunch Newsletter

Yes, many of the 74 million citizens who voted for the guy who then incited an attempted coup do fit the stereotype of struggling or laid-off blue-collar worker in a rusted-out rural community. But those folks aren’t the ones who can take a Wednesday off and fly hundreds of miles, let alone plunk down hundreds of dollars, to get to the nation’s hub. While the Capitol mob was bulked up with other Trumpists — including an alarming number of off-duty police officers, as well as some neo-Nazi or KKK types who’ve been around forever — it was the 401(k) crowd that formed the front line of America’s first real putsch.

If that surprises you, then you weren’t really paying attention. For the last four years, political scientists have been trying to wrap their brains around Trump’s shocking 2016 victory in the Electoral College while trying to tell us that the 45th president’s true base is a lot of things — but it’s not poor. In fact, polling guru Nate Silver noted during 2016′s primaries that the average Trump voter had a median household income of $72,000, which was both higher than the national average and also higher than the numbers that year for supporters of Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders.
https://www.inquirer.com/columnists/...-20210112.html

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 12th January 2021 at 02:30 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 02:33 PM   #1807
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Interesting side effect of the attack on the Capitol. Two Democrat legislators have tested positive for Covid. They claim they caught it when they were sheltering.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/worl...ost_type=share

Apparently they refused to take masks when they were offered. This wasn't even grandstanding, they simply refused to take reasonable precautions to protect their colleagues.

What complete and utter ***** they are
The new Sergeant at Arms has imposed rules requiring masks and reminding congresscritters that they cannot bring firearms into the chamber.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 02:35 PM   #1808
sackett
Philosopher

Horned Man is entitled to his organic food.

Breakfast: organic potato boiled in US tested and certified tap water
Lunch: ditto
Dinner: ditto

Tomorrow: you can guess

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 02:36 PM   #1809
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Irony alert.

Feds seem to be charging coup participants based off guidance from Barr's September memo, then intended to be used to throw the book at BLM protestors and anfitfa.

The memo encourages rioters to be prosecuted as engaged in "seditious conspiracy", a term that the feds used today in the press release.

Fascists gonna get prosecuted like they're leftists. Womp womp.

https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/sta...04345745223680
Old 12th January 2021, 02:37 PM   #1810
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, plenty of jobs are working class that aren't traditional "blue collar", but details of the arrests show plenty of well-off people were taking an active role in the violence.
Let me be clarify that I'm not questioning the makeup of the people who showed up at the Capitol. I'm pointing out that wage inequality spans more than manual labor these days. Probably a broader subject than this thread.
Old 12th January 2021, 02:53 PM   #1811
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The FBI has a clear face photo of the fire extinguisher thrower, so he should get caught now.
Old 12th January 2021, 03:05 PM   #1812
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

That article doesn't support the claim that "the Pentagon may be working". It's Trumpists within the administration. I'd expect an official rebuke of that shortly.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/12/polit...ion/index.html
Old 12th January 2021, 03:09 PM   #1813
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The FBI has a clear face photo of the fire extinguisher thrower, so he should get caught now.
If anyone is interested, you can see a picture of him in the following news article.

NBC local channel

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 03:12 PM   #1814
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Since there's no official definition of "organic," they could probably feed him almost anything and comply. Or they could feed him the most unpalatable food they can find, as long as it's "organic." Raw fish and prune juice three times a day.
Maybe the flesh of those two dead raccoons he wore on his head.

Bloody Mommy's boy.

Rampaging insurrectionist one day and the next, he's crying for Mom.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 03:13 PM   #1815
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
I thought they were just commenting on how well-endowed the Vice President is. Pence is understandably upset, since that should

"Pence habet, et bene pendente"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 03:15 PM   #1816
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Maybe the flesh of those two dead raccoons he wore on his head.

Bloody Mommy's boy.

Rampaging insurrectionist one day and the next, he's crying for Mom.
One of the zip tie morons was literally there with his mom.
Old 12th January 2021, 03:18 PM   #1817
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Guess she won't be winning 'Parent of the Year' this year, then.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 03:19 PM   #1818
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

So far we've had an in-house attorney, a tech ceo, several state politicians, a woman wearing a $1,000+ designer sweater, the son of a judge, small business owners, a retired USAF Lt. Colonel.

It's not toothless rednecks, it's more likely to be some guy that owns a Honda dealership in the suburbs.

https://www.inquirer.com/columnists/...-20210112.html
".....the average Trump voter had a median household income of $72,000"

To quote the great Wes Harrison.. "They've got more money that brains"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 03:21 PM   #1819
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
"Pence habet, et bene pendente"[/i]
I wonder how his first conversation with Trump went yesterday, some six days after the storming of the Capitol.

'Gee, Don, thanks a bunch!'

'You're welcome, old chum. It would have been a big honour for you to have died on my behalf. Now about you letting me down about the steal...'

Old 12th January 2021, 03:21 PM   #1820
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

The rioters chanting "hang Pence" were probably just upset that the National Gallery hasn't put on an exhibition of the VP's highly-regarded watercolor cat paintings.
Old 12th January 2021, 03:22 PM   #1821
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Irony alert.

Feds seem to be charging coup participants based off guidance from Barr's September memo, then intended to be used to throw the book at BLM protestors and anfitfa.

The memo encourages rioters to be prosecuted as engaged in "seditious conspiracy", a term that the feds used today in the press release.

Fascists gonna get prosecuted like they're leftists. Womp womp.

https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/sta...04345745223680

Some irony is just delicious!!!
Old 12th January 2021, 03:28 PM   #1822
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
If anyone is interested, you can see a picture of him in the following news article.

NBC local channel
That's a Chicago Fire Dept beanie he's wearing

https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Fire-.../dp/B00JKMOC4O

Similar colour and style, same font and font size.
Old 12th January 2021, 03:37 PM   #1823
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Guess she won't be winning 'Parent of the Year' this year, then.
She has, however, been awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 03:54 PM   #1824
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
She has, however, been awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
Speaking of the above, though I don't usually see much to praise in professional football, I hear the Patriots' coach Bob Belichek has publicly refused the Medal of Freedom, which I suspect makes our furiously stupid leader stupidly furious. Professional golf is tossing him overboard too.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)

Last edited by bruto; 12th January 2021 at 04:13 PM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 03:58 PM   #1825
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Speaking of the above, though I don't usually see much to praise in professional football, I hear the Patriots' coach Bob Belichek has publicly refused the Medal of Freedom, which I suspect makes our furiously stupid leader stupidly furious. Professional golf is tossing him overboard too.
Rumor has it that the golf one really made him furious.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1348731325440733184
Quote:
He’s angry about impeachment, people who have spoken to him say. But the reaction to the PGA decision was different order of magnitude.
Old 12th January 2021, 04:04 PM   #1826
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

An unflattering portrait of the Capitol Police.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...d=lk_fullstory
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 04:04 PM   #1827
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
The rioters chanting "hang Pence" were probably just upset that the National Gallery hasn't put on an exhibition of the VP's highly-regarded watercolor cat paintings.
I assumed they were referring go what longboard surfers call hanging 11. Makes anatomical sense.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 04:09 PM   #1828
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Think about what kind of people have disposable income to fly across the country in the middle of the week for a political rally. hell, even the gunman that wanted to murder Pelosi on live TV had an Tavor, an Israeli rifle that is at least twice the cost of AR-15 rifles that are popular in this country.
Sharing this from another forum:
Quote:
Fascism appears to be a necessary component of late stage Capitalism. As tinier groups of people control and commodify resources, and destroy the environment, to gather wealth into more and more concentrated hands, it is required (by those groups) that public resistance to such a system, be quickly and efficiently obliterated.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/f...flow-1.3543375

Fintan O’Toole 2018
Made sense to me.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 04:14 PM   #1829
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

He is incorrect. While right wing extremists have traditionally been at war with federal law enforcement, their relationships with local cops has been much more cordial, even if only because inherently racist police departments always go easier on white people.
Cognitive dissonance and denial go together.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 04:24 PM   #1830
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Max_mang View Post
I'm also very interested in those numbers. I think knowing how those numbers changed throughout the event can be very telling. Finding those kinds of details has been pretty difficult so far.

It's also difficult to find a detailed timeline of the events. They all seem to get murky at the point the woman shot and killed. Also the reports of when the National Guard was summoned and arrived are all over the place.
Heavy has some estimates.
Old 12th January 2021, 04:30 PM   #1831
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post

It shouldn't be surprising. That's going to cost him a lot of money. Golfers pay a premium, and will travel great distances, to play on PGA tournament courses.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 04:33 PM   #1832
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Yeah.

This has nothing to do with McCarthy having an epiphany about who was responsible for the insurrection and then doing the right thing. This is all about the ever increasing list of GOP donors that are turning off the tap...

American Express
BlueCross BlueShield
Commerce Bank
Amazon
Dow Chemical
Marriott
AT&T
Comcast
Verizon
3M
Bank of America
Citigroup
Coca-Cola
Deloitte
Ford
Goldman Sachs
Hallmark
Hilton
JP Morgan
Microsoft
Salesforce
Visa
UPS

its all about the money!
All those corporations had no issue with Trump's 4 years in office. But when they see the potential for an armed insurrection that will affect their bottom lines, that is going too far.

I am glad they did though.
Old 12th January 2021, 04:36 PM   #1833
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

".....the average Trump voter had a median household income of $72,000"

To quote the great Wes Harrison.. "They've got more money that brains"
As SuburbanTurkey’s article succinctly points out, it was never about economic anxiety.

It is and always has been about status and privilege anxiety.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 04:56 PM   #1834
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

It shouldn't be surprising. That's going to cost him a lot of money. Golfers pay a premium, and will travel great distances, to play on PGA tournament courses.
His whole world is falling apart. If it were a more decent fellow that this was happening to, I would feel sorry for him. However, he has lived his whole life taking advantage of people and discarding them when they were no longer of use, so he is finally going to get what he deserves, ignominy, and a reputation of a fool that will follow him to the grave and beyond.

The idea of Trump as a Shakespearean anti-hero seems more and more appropriate to me. Like a MacBeth or Richard III. A man with everything needed to be happy. Fame, fortune, and power, but it is never enough. He needs more, and more, until finally he goes too far, and it all comes crashing down.

If the rumours of his pending bankruptcy are accurate, he could end up.....ordinary, but unloved. I don't think he will be able to take it. I doubt he will live a long life.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 12th January 2021 at 05:11 PM.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 05:01 PM   #1835
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That's a Chicago Fire Dept beanie he's wearing

https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Fire-.../dp/B00JKMOC4O

Similar colour and style, same font and font size.
Might be but his facial hair looks like it precludes a tight face-piece fit which any fire fighter would need to wear an SCBA or a gas mask.
Old 12th January 2021, 05:20 PM   #1836
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
...it was never about economic anxiety.

It is and always has been about status and privilege anxiety.
What on earth makes anyone think economic privileges are readily severable from non-economic ones?
Old 12th January 2021, 05:21 PM   #1837
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Might be but his facial hair looks like it precludes a tight face-piece fit which any fire fighter would need to wear an SCBA or a gas mask.
Not everyone in a fire dept actively fights fires.

He probably just made the coffee.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 05:33 PM   #1838
rdaneel
Illuminator

Yeah.

This has nothing to do with McCarthy having an epiphany about who was responsible for the insurrection and then doing the right thing. This is all about the ever increasing list of GOP donors that are turning off the tap...

American Express
BlueCross BlueShield
Commerce Bank
Amazon
Dow Chemical
Marriott
AT&T
Comcast
Verizon
3M
Bank of America
Citigroup
Coca-Cola
Deloitte
Ford
Goldman Sachs
Hallmark
Hilton
JP Morgan
Microsoft
Salesforce
Visa
UPS

its all about the money!
And some are willing to turn on the tap, on one condition of course.

Anti-Trump group pledges $50 million effort to defend Republican impeachment supporters
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 05:42 PM   #1839
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Not everyone in a fire dept actively fights fires.

He probably just made the coffee.
Old 12th January 2021, 05:46 PM   #1840
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post

Of course. It affects his bottom line. That's what it's all about.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events