IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Sweden incidents , Sweden issues

Old 5th January 2021, 09:53 AM   #3201
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Scotland's numbers are a disgrace and we've had a total of 4,633 deaths in a population about half of Sweden's. I'm prepared to stay out of shops and public places till Easter,
Old 5th January 2021, 11:44 PM   #3202
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Tuesday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, Jan. 5, 2020)
Deaths per million (Total deaths) New cases Serious/Critical
Sweden: 887 (8,985) 32,369* 378 *Since Wednesday, Dec. 30, according to SVT.seSVT.se
Denmark: 245 (1,420) 1,992* 141 *based on 74,797 tests (2,7% positive). 51,512 vaccinated (0.88% of population). R01.0 , but 1.5 for the British mutation!
Finland: 104 (576) 299 25
Iceland: 85 (29) 16 0 4,917 vaccinated, similar number expected in January (Iceland’s not a big country)
Norway: 83 (452) 935 27
Iceland has 111 active cases, Faroe Islands 58, New Zealand 61
The Faroe Islands have 148 in quarantine, 2 hospitalized.
Four new Covid cases in the Faroe Islands (KVF.fo, Jan. 5, 2021)

Denmark:
Corona fører nu til overdødelighed, og højst fem må forsamles ad gangen (Jyllands-Posten.dk, Jan. 5, 2021)
Corona now leads to excess mortality; ban on groups larger than five
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 11:53 PM   #3203
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Scotland's numbers are a disgrace and we've had a total of 4,633 deaths in a population about half of Sweden's. I'm prepared to stay out of shops and public places till Easter,
That means that the death toll is about the same as Sweden's. The current number of deaths per day seems to be much lower than in Denmark.
When do you expect to get vaccinated?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 6th January 2021 at 12:21 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 09:03 AM   #3204
Rolfe

God knows. At first the answer was February, but they're now playing silly buggers with the vaccination schedule and it looks as if vaccine supplies aren't nearly as good as we were led to believe (why am I even mildly surprised about this?). I received a booklet about vaccination yesterday, delivered by the postman, but it was a general information publication with nothing concrete about timing.

I intend to go precisely nowhere at all until the end of April, unless a lot of different happens before then. I say the end of April because I have enough cat food to do till then, and I can certainly made do on human food with a combination of stored supplies and fresh food that can be collected from a hotel without going inside.

I don't mind popping into one of the small village shops (such as the pharmacy) that only allow one customer in at a time and you're in and out in about 45 seconds, but that's it. We don't really know what makes this new strain so transmissible and now seems to be the time to use these stored supplies. (Ironically I now have about ten respirator masks I may not need as things are so bad I don't want to be anywhere I might need one!)
Old 6th January 2021, 11:49 PM   #3205
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Wednesday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, Jan. 6, 2020)
Sweden: 887 (8,985) 32,369* 378 *according to SVT.seSVT.se Swedish holiday (Epiphany), so no new numbers till Jan. 7.
Denmark: 250 (1,450) 2,216* 137 *based on 100,410 tests (2,2% positive) + 344 positives (1.74%) out of 19.768 quicktests. 63,312 vaccinated (1.08% of pop.)
Finland: 104 (576) 331 25
Iceland: 85 (29) 21 0 Deaths probably not connected to vaccine
Norway: 85 (465) 787 28
Iceland has 127 active cases, Faroe Islands 61, New Zealand 62
The Faroe Islands have 136 in quarantine, 1 hospitalized.
First Covid-19 fatality in the Faroes (KVF.fo, Jan. 6, 2021)
Tonight’s Faroe-Czech handball game called off - The Czech national handball team will fly back home today after Covid-19 was detected in the squad (KVF.fo, Jan. 6, 2021)
Old 7th January 2021, 01:10 PM   #3206
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
God knows. At first the answer was February, but they're now playing silly buggers with the vaccination schedule and it looks as if vaccine supplies aren't nearly as good as we were led to believe (why am I even mildly surprised about this?). I received a booklet about vaccination yesterday, delivered by the postman, but it was a general information publication with nothing concrete about timing.

I intend to go precisely nowhere at all until the end of April, unless a lot of different happens before then. I say the end of April because I have enough cat food to do till then, and I can certainly made do on human food with a combination of stored supplies and fresh food that can be collected from a hotel without going inside.

I don't mind popping into one of the small village shops (such as the pharmacy) that only allow one customer in at a time and you're in and out in about 45 seconds, but that's it. We don't really know what makes this new strain so transmissible and now seems to be the time to use these stored supplies. (Ironically I now have about ten respirator masks I may not need as things are so bad I don't want to be anywhere I might need one!)

This article says that everybody in the first four categories is expected to have been vaccinated by Feb. 15, and that more than 1.5 million have been vaccinated so far:
Quote:
On 6 January, the Covid vaccine deployment minister Nadhim Zahawi said: “I’m very hopeful that by the spring we will get through the nine categories.
Covid vaccine news: Check the latest figures on how many people in the UK have been vaccinated (ITV, Jan. 7, 2021)
Apparently the nine categories consist of everybody older than 50 + health care and social care workers + everybody with underlying health conditions.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:18 PM   #3207
dann
Penultimate Amazing

A letter from Åland: Open letter to Tegnell & Co. (NYAN.ax, Jan. 4, 2021)

Take a look at this animated graph:
Quote:
The current delay in reporting Covid19 deaths in Sweden is the Soma of this pandemic.
It gives an overall impression that the situation is not that bad and a month later, once reporting is complete, no one gives a **** anymore. Worse, nothing can be done at all anymore.
Jucami Ca on Twitter (Jan. 7, 2021)
This is one of Tegnell's favorite tricks when he pretends that curves are flattening or increases are decreasing!
Old 8th January 2021, 02:23 AM   #3208
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Thursday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, Jan. 7, 2020)
Sweden: 914 (9,262) 12,536* 387 *Since Tuesday, Jan. 5, according to SVT.se
Denmark: 256 (1,487) 1,842* 134 *based on 104,615 tests (1,8% positive) + 297 positives (1.66%) out of 17.850 quicktests. 82,544 vaccinated (1.41% of pop.)
Finland: 105 (584) 223 32
Norway: 86 (467) 825 28
Iceland: 85 (29) 13 0 Moderna vaccines to arrive next week?
Iceland has 126 active cases, Faroe Islands 59, New Zealand 62
The Faroe Islands have 178 in quarantine, 1 hospitalized.
Three new Covd cases in the Faroes (KVF.fo, Jan. 7, 2021)
Fourteen new Covid cases - The Czech national handball squad, which has now returned home, accounted for eight of yesterday’s positive tests (KVF.fo, Jan. 6, 2021)
Vaccination pace to speed up in February (KVF.fo, Jan. 7, 2021)

Last edited by dann; 8th January 2021 at 02:25 AM.
Old 8th January 2021, 03:54 AM   #3209
Rolfe

Originally Posted by dann View Post
This article says that everybody in the first four categories is expected to have been vaccinated by Feb. 15, and that more than 1.5 million have been vaccinated so far:

Apparently the nine categories consist of everybody older than 50 + health care and social care workers + everybody with underlying health conditions.

That's England. Although I imagine the plans for Scotland are similar.
Old 9th January 2021, 12:51 AM   #3210
dann
Penultimate Amazing

The Danish vaccine plan looks like this: Vaccinationskalender
They have been pretty efficient so far. Denmark seems to be the EU country with the highest percentage of people vaccinated. All nursing home residents have been vaccinated at this point, and some of the staff (first shot).
Old 9th January 2021, 12:52 AM   #3211
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Friday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, Jan. 8, 2020)
Sweden: 931 (9,433) 12,536* 380 *according to SVT.seSVT.se
Denmark: 261 (1,517) 1,660* 134 *based on 96,905 tests (1,7% positive) + 213 positives (1.19%) out of 17.857 quicktests. 102,092 vaccinated (1.75% of pop.)
Finland: 105 (584) 296 32
Norway: 87 (472) 684 34
Iceland: 85 (29) 22 0
Iceland has 134 active cases, Faroe Islands 60, New Zealand 62
The Faroe Islands have 178 in quarantine, 1 hospitalized.
One new Covid case in the Faroe Islands (KVF.fo, Jan. 8, 2021)

Last edited by dann; 9th January 2021 at 12:59 AM.
Old 9th January 2021, 05:02 PM   #3212
Rolfe

How's that herd immunity looking now, Tegnell?

Covid-19 forces Swedish hospitals to delay 'necessary surgery'
Old 10th January 2021, 01:27 AM   #3213
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Johan Carlson, the head of Sweden's Public Health Agency, still claims that lockdowns are no use:

Quote:
Man ska inte ha en för stor tilltro till att omfattande nedstängningar har en avgörande effekt på smittspridingen. Det poängterar Folkhälsomyndighetens generaldirektör Johan Carlson när pandemilagen nu fått grönt ljus.
– Att tro att man kan stänga ner affärer och få en väldigt stor effekt på smittspridningen, där tror jag man tar fel, säger Carlson i Aktuellt.
Finns en övertro på nedstängningar (SVT.se, Jan. 9, 2021)
You should not have too much faith in the idea that extensive lockdowns have a significant effect on the spread of infection. Johan Carlson, Director General of the Swedish Public Health Agency, points this out after the Pandemic Act was passed.
– To believe that you can close down stores and get a very large effect on the spread of infection, that is where I think you are wrong, says Carlson in Aktuellt.
There is superstitious belief in lockdowns

In the clip, he says, "Det går inte att stänga ett samhälle så att inte smittspridning fortsätter." = It is not possible to lock down a society so that the spread of the virus doesn't continue.

But to believe that you can have a pandemic response that leaves bars, restaurants, gyms and schools open and have people commute on crowded public transport - all of it without wearing face masks, of course - is what goes for pure and unadulterated science in the Swedish Public Health Agency. Sweden now has more people hospitalized with Covid-19 than in the spring!
Watching this is almost as grotesque and out of touch with reality as watching Trump and his Trumpistas insist that they are the majority and that the election was stolen.
Sweden now has the restrictions that might have been called a lockdown in other countries alongside a health agency that is doing its utmost to make it unsuccessful by preaching against it.

And at least one Swedish skeptic also prefers to stay in this delusion. 'Skogaliten' insists that:
Quote:
Den enda nationen, en ö-nation, med en rimligt stor folkmängd och som har rimligt pålitlig statistik, som egentligen lyckats att hålla nere smitta, men då till priset av extremt stängda gränser tycks vara Nya Zeeland.
The only nation, an island nation with a fairly large population and reasonably reliable statistics, that has actually managed to keep the infection down, but then at the price of extremely closed borders, seems to be New Zealand.

But apart from her, the Tegnell fans have more or less disappeared from the thread like they did from this one.
Old 10th January 2021, 01:28 AM   #3214
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Saturday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, Jan. 9, 2020)
Sweden: 931 (9,433) 12,536* 380 *according to SVT.seSVT.se No new Swedish numbers till Tuesday, Jan. 12)
Denmark: 266 (1,542) 1,743* 132 *based on 94,967 tests (1.84%) + 247 positives (1.34%) out of 18.377 quicktests. 112,427 vaccinated (1.93% of pop.)
Finland: 106 (586) 324 29
Norway: 87 (472) 443 29
Iceland: 85 (29) 13 0
Iceland has 145 active cases, Faroe Islands 50, New Zealand 75
The Faroe Islands have 156 in quarantine, 2 hospitalized.
Old 10th January 2021, 03:06 AM   #3215
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Johan Carlson, the head of Sweden's Public Health Agency, still claims that lockdowns are no use:

You should not have too much faith in the idea that extensive lockdowns have a significant effect on the spread of infection. Johan Carlson, Director General of the Swedish Public Health Agency, points this out after the Pandemic Act was passed.
– To believe that you can close down stores and get a very large effect on the spread of infection, that is where I think you are wrong, says Carlson in Aktuellt.

In the clip, he says, "Det går inte att stänga ett samhälle så att inte smittspridning fortsätter." = It is not possible to lock down a society so that the spread of the virus doesn't continue.

But to believe that you can have a pandemic response that leaves bars, restaurants, gyms and schools open and have people commute on crowded public transport - all of it without wearing face masks, of course - is what goes for pure and unadulterated science in the Swedish Public Health Agency. Sweden now has more people hospitalized with Covid-19 than in the spring!
Watching this is almost as grotesque and out of touch with reality as watching Trump and his Trumpistas insist that they are the majority and that the election was stolen.
Sweden now has the restrictions that might have been called a lockdown in other countries alongside a health agency that is doing its utmost to make it unsuccessful by preaching against it.

And at least one Swedish skeptic also prefers to stay in this delusion. 'Skogaliten' insists that:

The only nation, an island nation with a fairly large population and reasonably reliable statistics, that has actually managed to keep the infection down, but then at the price of extremely closed borders, seems to be New Zealand.

But apart from her, the Tegnell fans have more or less disappeared from the thread like they did from this one.
They don't mention Vietnam either
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 03:44 AM   #3216
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I have mentioned Vietnam a couple of times in the thread, South Korea and China, too, but Covid deniers don't register anything that doesn't confirm their bias.
Yesterday in Denmark, 300 imbeciles staged a protest in the centre of Copenhagen: 'We are angry, we are tired, and we are getting crazy. Where is that virus?' (TV2.dk, Jan. 10, 2021)
Apparently, one of the Danish Covid deniers posted footage from an empty hospital lab as proof that nobody is hospitalized with Covid-19. The lab was empty because all of the staff had been transferred to help out at Covid wards!

Since they are so adamant about seeing the virus, I think somebody should give it to them!
Old 10th January 2021, 05:29 AM   #3217
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
* Places like shops and gyms must now limit the number of visitors so that there is a minimum of 10 square meters per person inside.
* Private events at venues must now also have a limit of no more than 8 people.
* The new rules comes from a temporary law passed on Friday by parliament, giving the government more legal powers to limit the spread of Covid-19.
Government issues new, compulsory restrictions to combat virus's spread (RadioSweden, Jan. 8, 2021)

Explained: What you need to know about Sweden's pandemic law (TheLocal.se, Jan. 8, 2021)
Old 11th January 2021, 12:18 AM   #3218
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Sunday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, Jan. 10, 2020)
Sweden: 931 (9,433) 12,536* 380 *according to SVT.seSVT.se No new Swedish numbers till Tuesday, Jan. 12)
Denmark: 271 (1,570) 1,246* 138 *based on 69,013 tests (1.81%) + 156 positives (1.07%) out of 14.578 quicktests. 114,926 vaccinated (1.97% of pop.)
Finland: 106 (586) 198 29
Norway: 87 (472) 555 31
Iceland: 85 (29) 10 0
Iceland has 143 active cases, Faroe Islands 39, New Zealand 77
The Faroe Islands have 142 in quarantine, 2 hospitalized.
No new Covid cases in the Faroe Islands (KVF.fo, Jan. 10, 2021)
Old 11th January 2021, 01:42 PM   #3219
Samson
Philosopher

For many New Zealanders closed borders are a blessing. It has required a very small shift in thinking to acknowledge unrestricted travel is unsustainable if everyone exercises the right.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 02:10 PM   #3220
dann
Penultimate Amazing

... which everyone doesn't, pandemic or no pandemic, because only the privileged can afford it.
But that is a different discussion.
Old 11th January 2021, 03:28 PM   #3221
Rolfe

If they had closed Scotland's borders back in the summer I (and a lot of other people I know) would gladly have booked holidays within our own borders. Instead we were crowded out by foreigners flocking to our unrestricted holiday accommodation and visitor attractions, and stayed home instead.

I'm not persuaded the tourist industry would have collapsed through one summer of only having local customers to attract.
Old 11th January 2021, 03:54 PM   #3222
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Must read article!
Quote:
He often speaks eloquently to the media but seldom refers to scientific studies that others can review when referring to his questionable claims. He has used untruths on recurring occasions, including reports on Sweden`s compliance with infection control councils and the spread of infection in Swedish and Finnish schools. He seldom speaks concretely, but almost always vaguely and airily. Tegnell has been presented with an exceptionally large authority by the Swedish public and the government in an area that he does not control. Many Swedes follow his statements by saying that they “trust the research” or that “they listen to the researchers”.
Anders Tegnell: The rise and fall of an emperor with no clothes in Sweden (ForeignPolicyNews, Jan. 3, 2021)
Old 11th January 2021, 04:31 PM   #3223
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

My plotting of the Our World in data total deaths

And remember Sweden's data is more lagging than the other countries as discussed upthread
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 11:06 PM   #3224
dann
Penultimate Amazing

A graph is worth a thousand words ...
The information about the Swedish death toll during the holidays will be trickling in this week.

Monday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, Jan. 11, 2020)
Sweden: 931 (9,433) 12,536* 380 *according to SVT.seSVT.se No new Swedish numbers till Tuesday, Jan. 12.
Denmark: 275 (1,597) 1,239* 138 *based on 55,706 tests (2.2%) + 186 positives (1.46%) out of 12.733 quicktests. 115,932 vaccinated (1.99% of pop.)
Finland: 106 (586) 200 29
Norway: 88 (478) 429 34
Iceland: 85 (29) 8 0 Border concerns as nation prepares to relax Covid rules (RUV.is, Jan. 11, 2021)
Iceland has 143 active cases, Faroe Islands 36, New Zealand 77
The Faroe Islands have 137 in quarantine, 2 hospitalized.
No new Covid cases, hospital visitor ban extended (KVF.fo, Jan. 11, 2021)
Old 12th January 2021, 10:11 AM   #3225
dann
Penultimate Amazing

The number of new registered cases on Tuesdays in Sweden (no numbers Saturday, Sunday, Monday) according to SVT.se:
Tuesday, Sep. 15: 840
Tuesday, Sep. 22: 1,199
Tuesday, Sep. 29: 1,543
Tuesday, Oct. 6: 1,862
Tuesday, Oct. 13: 2,203
Tuesday, Oct. 20: 3,180
Tuesday, Oct. 27: 5,191
Tuesday, Nov. 3: 10,177
Tuesday, Nov. 10: 15,779 - deaths 35
Tuesday, Nov. 17: 15,084 - deaths 61
Tuesday, Nov. 24: 17,265 - deaths 94
Tuesday, Dec. 1: 17,629 - deaths 117
Tuesday, Dec. 8: 18,820 - deaths 133
Tuesday, Dec. 15: 20,931 - deaths 153
Tuesday, Dec. 22: 22,319 - deaths 174
- - - - -
Tuesday, Dec. 29: 32,485 - deaths 205 NB. These numbers are since Wednesday 23, not Friday 25!!!
Tuesday, Jan. 5: 32,369 - deaths 258 NB. These numbers are since Wednesday Dec. 30, not Jan. 1.
Tuesday, Jan. 12: 17,395 - deaths 234

Data still delayed due to the holidays when the number of tests was also lower than usual.
Old 12th January 2021, 04:39 PM   #3226
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
*Sweden's Public Health Agency announced that 25 cases of a new mutation of Covid-19 have been found so far.
* The cases are spread through different regions, and 8 of them have not been traced back to travel from the UK.
* At a press conference on Tuesday, state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell said the health care system here is “close to the limit for what it can take”.
25 cases of UK Covid variant of discovered in Sweden (RadioSweden, Jan. 12, 2021)
Anders Tegnell thinks that this doesn't indicate community spread, but ...
Quote:
Oh dear. Sweden has sequenced a sum total of 135 positive tests, finding that 12 of them were B.117
Denmark has sequenced 11379.
Tegnell called this "extensive monitoring" in the press conference today.
https://cov-lineages.org/global_report_B.1.1.7.html…
(thanks for the tip @JonasP20987042!)
David Steadson on Twitter (Jan. 12, 2021)
Old 12th January 2021, 05:01 PM   #3227
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Anders Tegnell thinks that this doesn't indicate community spread, but ...
That's about the only thing that the UK has finally been doing well, is fully sequencing a significant proportion of positive tests
Old 12th January 2021, 11:36 PM   #3228
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I noticed recently. And some countries seem to have learned that from you. Denmark, for example. I haven't seen it mentioned explicitly, but I think Iceland and the Faroe Islands may be doing it, too.
In Sweden, they are washing their hands a lot. It wasn't until a few days ago that I saw Fredrik Elgh, one of their 'renegade researchers', say that touching fomites wasn't a very likely way transmit to the virus. It was one of the most important arguments against face masks in Sweden: People wouldn't know how to use them, they would be touching their faces all the times, then fomites and other people, who would get infected this way.

ETA: Until now, 11 percent of positive tests have been gene sequenced to find the British or other mutations. Starting today, it will be 100 percent:
Ny test bliver taget i brug i kampen mod muteret coronavirus (DR.dk, Jan. 13, 2021)

Last edited by dann; 13th January 2021 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12th January 2021, 11:40 PM   #3229
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Tuesday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, Jan. 12, 2020)
Sweden: 954 (9,667) 17,395* 371 *Since Friday, Jan. 8, according to SVT.se
Denmark: 280 (1,623) 1,076* 135 *based on 1.9 % of 57,956 tests + 250 positives (1.42%) of 17.544 quick tests. 117,104 vaccinated (2.1% of pop.). R0 0.9. ’Still much too high.’
Finland: 109 (602) 221 30
Norway: 89 (482) 712 34
Iceland: 85 (29) 14 0
Iceland has 149 active cases, Faroe Islands 28, New Zealand 62
The Faroe Islands have 95 in quarantine, 1 hospitalized.
Third consecutive day with no new Covid cases in the Faroe Islands (KVF.fo, Jan. 12, 2021)

Last edited by dann; 13th January 2021 at 12:12 AM.
Old 14th January 2021, 12:09 AM   #3230
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Wednesday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, Jan. 13, 2020)
Sweden: 971 (9,834) 5,337* 368 *according to SVT.se
Denmark: 286 (1,660) 1,358* 137 *based on 82,795 tests (1.6%) + 215 positives (1.48%) out of 14.356 quicktests. 118,073 vaccinated (2.2% of pop.).
Finland: 109 (602) 324 30
Norway: 93 (509) 667 36
Iceland: 85 (29) 23 0
Iceland has 164 active cases, Faroe Islands 28, New Zealand 62
The Faroe Islands have 81 in quarantine, 1 hospitalized.
One new Covid case in the Faroe Islands (KVF.fo, Jan. 13, 2021)
Old 14th January 2021, 01:48 PM   #3231
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
* The Swedish Public Health Agency has recorded another 351 deaths among people infected with Covid-19.
* As of Thursday, a total of 10,185 people who had the virus have died in Sweden.
* The country has now registered more than 518,000 confirmed cases of Covid-19 since the start of the outbreak.
Sweden's Covid-19 death toll surpasses 10,000 (RadioSweden, Jan. 14, 2021)
Sweden's number of Covid-19 deaths per million is now 1,005.

Quote:
* At least 11 county councils have not carried out any controls on crowding, despite their responsibilities under the new pandemic law.
* For example, Blekinge council says they were not ready, since the law was passed sooner than expected, and they did not want to cancel Christmas vacation.
* Norrbotten council does not plan to carry out active checks, but instead wait for tips from the public.
Local authorities not ready to enforce pandemic law (RadioSweden, Jan. 14, 2021)
Quote:
* Some 80,000 have now been vaccinated against Covid-19 which is about half of the number of doses delivered since the programme began.
* Citing supply concerns, many regions have been stockpiling the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine to be sure everyone vaccinated so far gets a second jab.
* Acting on concerns from the Public Health Agency, Emma Spak at SKR says regions will now use up every dose and "soon catch up".
Regions to speed up vaccinations after delivery assurances (RadioSweden, Jan. 14, 2021)
Old 14th January 2021, 11:05 PM   #3232
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Due to “technical problems with servers,” the Danish number of deaths has been delayed. The other numbers are based on 29 hours instead of 24.
Thursday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, Jan. 14, 2020)
Sweden: 1,005 (10,185) 6,580* 365 *according to SVT.se
Denmark: 286 (1,660) 1,503* 128 *based on 112,414 tests (1.3%) in 29 hours + 181 positives out of 15.563 quicktests[/url]. 129,170 vaccinated (2.21% of pop.).
Finland: 111 (616) 258 29
Norway: 94 (511) 454 37
Iceland: 85 (29) 13 0
Iceland has 170 active cases, Faroe Islands 24, New Zealand 76
The Faroe Islands have 70 in quarantine, 1 hospitalized.
No new Covid cases in the Faroe Islands (KVF.fo, Jan. 14, 2021)
Old 15th January 2021, 11:42 AM   #3233
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I've downloaded the data from Sweden's statistics bureau, and using their 2015-2019 average as a baseline, have calculated the cumulative excess deaths for 2015-2020

https://www.scb.se/en/finding-statis...on-statistics/

Preliminary statistics on deaths (published 2021-01-11)

ETA: and of course the reporting lag discussed earlier means that the dip for the last few days in December is almost certain to rise

Last edited by jimbob; 15th January 2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 15th January 2021, 11:22 PM   #3234
dann
Penultimate Amazing

The Danish numbers based on only 15 hours (yesterday 29).
Friday:
Coronavirus - countries (Worldometers, Jan. 15, 2020)
Sweden: 1,019 (10,323) 4,703* 368 *according to SVT.se
Denmark: 296 (1,720) 659* 129 *based on 52,270 tests (1.26%) in 15 hours + 206 positives out of 25.378 quicktests (0.81%). 137,115 vaccinated (2.52% of pop.).
Finland: 111 (618) 318 28
Norway: 95 (517) 466 47
Iceland: 85 (29) 8 0 Compulsory border testing now, relaxation in May (RUV.is, Jan. 15, 2021)
Iceland has 160 active cases, Faroe Islands 22, New Zealand 76
The Faroe Islands have 58 in quarantine, 1 hospitalized.
Hospital visitor ban lifted next week, one new Covid case in the Faroe Islands (KVF.fo, Jan. 15, 2021)

Denmark is now in the club of seven countries that have carried out more than two per-capita tests for coronavirus. (But still not even close the the Faroe Islands with 4.36.)
Old 15th January 2021, 11:49 PM   #3235
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I've downloaded the data from Sweden's statistics bureau, and using their 2015-2019 average as a baseline, have calculated the cumulative excess deaths for 2015-2020

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eryz7FLX...png&name=small

ETA: and of course the reporting lag discussed earlier means that the dip for the last few days in December is almost certain to rise

It looks pretty grim right now, and Sweden is moving up the list of countries with the most Covid-19 deaths per capita.
There are some good Twitter threads in English about Sweden's pandemic response:

Quote:
1. It's time for the weekly "data from Sweden" thread.
This week 4 main things.
A. Increase in the number of reports
B. Deaths still being reporting back to mid-december
C. Comparing to France?
D. Data on school suggest closing would help.
Let's go!
Lonni Besançon @lonnibesancon on Twitter (Jan. 15, 2021)

David Steadson on Twitter (Jan. 15, 2021)
David Steadson had a couple of new graphs and the shocker from a health-care authority agreeing with Ivor Cummins that it would be a good idea to "continue exposing the population to this infection in a moderate dose." And this was not in February. The email was from September 6, 2020.

A new documentary by Maj Wechselmannn will premiere next week: The Swedish Way (Trailer on Vimeo, Jan. 14, 2021)
I can't imagine that it won't have English subtitles at some point.

Last edited by dann; 15th January 2021 at 11:50 PM.
Old 16th January 2021, 12:11 AM   #3236
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Sverige är just nu det sjätte hårdast drabbade landet i världen av dödsfall i covid-19. Bara Tjeckien, Storbritannien, Monaco, Slovakien och Litauen har en sämre situation.
Ny statistik: Sverige är nu 6:e värst i världen (Aftonbladet.se, Jan. 16, 2021)
Sweden is now #6 on the list of countries that are hardest hit by deaths due to Covid-19. Only Czechia, the UK, Monaco, Slovakia and Lithuania are in a worse state.
New statistics: Sweden is now the 6th hardest hit country in the world

The article must be talking about current deaths per day, not the total number of Covid-19 deaths so far.
Old 16th January 2021, 12:33 AM   #3237
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Sverige ska i pandemins början ha pressat Finlands regering att följa den svenska, liberala linjen och åtminstone hålla skolorna öppna, enligt en ny rapport från jubileumsfonden Sitra.
New report: Sweden pressured Finland not to lockdown (Expressen.se, Jan. 15, 2021)
At the early stage of the pandemic, Sweden is supposed to have pressured Finland to follow the Swedish lax way and at least keep schools open, according to new report from the Sitra foundation.
New report: Sweden pressured Finland not to lockdown

I am not at all surprised. Both Tegnell and Sweden's minister of foreign affairs were pissed off when Denmark closed its borders to Sweden. The latter considered it to be an affront to Nordic cooperation. Sweden's government definitely didn't see it as a problem that Swedes were exporting infection to the rest of the world, and I guess that successfully spreading coronavirus to neighboring countries would have made Sweden look less bad in the statistics ...
Old 16th January 2021, 04:11 AM   #3238
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

It looks pretty grim right now, and Sweden is moving up the list of countries with the most Covid-19 deaths per capita.
There are some good Twitter threads in English about Sweden's pandemic response:

David Steadson on Twitter (Jan. 15, 2021)
David Steadson had a couple of new graphs and the shocker from a health-care authority agreeing with Ivor Cummins that it would be a good idea to "continue exposing the population to this infection in a moderate dose." And this was not in February. The email was from September 6, 2020.

A new documentary by Maj Wechselmannn will premiere next week: The Swedish Way (Trailer on Vimeo, Jan. 14, 2021)
I can't imagine that it won't have English subtitles at some point.
David Steadson is a good person to follow for info on Sweden's Covid
Old 16th January 2021, 05:34 AM   #3239
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Unfortunately, Steadson is still hospitalized with Covid-19, I think. Mutation B117.

The opinion in Sweden seems to be changing. Current poll in Aftonbladet (I can't link directly to the poll. It is very far down the page):

Quote:
Hur tycker du Sverige har hanterat pandemin?
Bra, känns stabilt
Uselt, jag skäms
What do you think of the way Sweden has handled the pandemic?
Good, feels stable
Awful, I am ashamed

The current numbers are:
Good: 31 percent
Awful: 69 percent

The 31 percent are like the Stop-the-steal Republicans who prefer the delusion to reality.
Old 16th January 2021, 10:20 AM   #3240
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eryz7FLX...png&name=small

And with Covid deaths from Our World In Data added.

I guess even covidiots cannot claim these are lockdown deaths?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events