IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 12th January 2021, 11:00 AM   #841
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Because right now per capita almost as many people on the Left are butthurt that Biden won the Presidency as on the Right.
I don't buy that Joe. I'm on the left. Sure, there are many that would prefer that Sanders or Warren would have won. But most that I know have some sense of reality.
Old 12th January 2021, 11:04 AM   #842
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
How the Dems should respond to the GOP demands to drop the Impeachment proceedings to bring about "Healing" and "Reconciliation"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qynydbBpqy4
That only works when they trap you in bed with a dead prostitute.
Old 12th January 2021, 11:07 AM   #843
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Oh, that's gotta be the hurtiest cut of all. Never mind all that political BS... when they start messing with his golf and his money it's gonna mean war.
That will get interesting. There weren't many (Western) banks willing to deal with Donnie to begin with, and now they may be all gone. If he is a dead duck politically, he won't get friendly deals from Kremlin-connected financiers. China has to my knowledge no private banks, and I doubt state-controlled ones have any interest in dealing with him. Where is his liquidity going to come from?
Old 12th January 2021, 11:13 AM   #844
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

How the Dems should respond to the GOP demands to drop the Impeachment proceedings to bring about "Healing" and "Reconciliation"

But I thought he learned a pretty big lesson. Didn't Susan Collins assure us?

MSNBC cut away from his bull ****.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 11:19 AM   #845
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I live in Sacramento, and am going to keep away from the Downtown area (which centers on Capitol Park where the Capitol Buuilding is) like the plague next week.
it si going to get ugly, very ugly, with the way Donnie basically told his followers to go ahead today...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 11:20 AM   #846
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I'm not shocked. Like many Trumpanzees, they ride the hate bus until they see Trump is driving it right off the cliff.

Maybe a football analogy is better. It's like rooting for one team until you see that team is down 45pts with 2 minutes left on the clock....
No, I like the bus analogy.
“Sure it is a bit dangerous to let Trump drive on this mountain road.
And sure, whenever he violates a traffic law, we are required to say that no traffic law was violated.
And sure, whenever anyone walks to the front of the bus to even hint at suggesting there is a better way, Trump opens the trap door and that person ends up under the bus.
And sure, he is taking us through neighborhoods that we didn’t want to be seen in.
But I’ll just ride for awhile and if he heads for a cliff, I’ll jump off before we all crash and burn.”

The catch is that when the bus heads to the cliff it might be going too fast to jump off.

Last edited by Ladewig; 12th January 2021 at 11:21 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 11:21 AM   #847
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
It is never his fault. The fault always lies with others. But with the winks and nods he gives to his minions, it feels like an OJ Simpson-style "I didn't do it, but if I did..."
He told his followers to fight like hell. Pure incitement.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 11:21 AM   #848
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
But I thought he learned a pretty big lesson. Didn't Susan Collins assure us?
Speaking of Susan Collins....she had been very quiet for a while, but now has spoken up. What did she say?

That when the mobs attacked the Capitol last week, her first thought was that it was the Iranians.
Old 12th January 2021, 11:24 AM   #849
chrispy
Graduate Poster

He told his followers to fight like hell. Pure incitement.
Of course he did. I was referring to his post event deflections in his comments this morning. After every stoopid thing that he does, he always blames others while both claiming no responsibility and doubling down on his original comments. Disgusting.
Old 12th January 2021, 11:29 AM   #850
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I live in Sacramento, and am going to keep away from the Downtown area (which centers on Capitol Park where the Capitol Buuilding is) like the plague next week.
it si going to get ugly, very ugly, with the way Donnie basically told his followers to go ahead today...
Is it? Washington State mobilized the National Guard. The Capitol campus is surrounded right now by Guardsmen.

Is California doing the same?

Last edited by acbytesla; 12th January 2021 at 11:47 AM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 11:33 AM   #851
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Be safe. Don't leave the house at all that day. Please.
Old 12th January 2021, 12:01 PM   #852
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And we still have Trump's speech at Alamo, Texas lies ahead. From what he said this morning, I fear what he will say.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th January 2021, 12:02 PM   #853
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Be safe. Don't leave the house at all that day. Please.
And my Shotgun will sure as hell be loaded.....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th January 2021, 12:08 PM   #854
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Is it? Washington State mobilized the National Guard. The Capitol campus is surrounded right now by Guardsmen.

Is California doing the same?
Nope, but CHP has announced it will be on full alert, Sacramento County and City police (wh have two forces here) states all eaves and days off willl be conccelled,.
Unoffikcially, a friend of mine who is a sergeant in the National Guard got a phone call from his CO to tell his mean to prepare to be morbilised next week.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th January 2021, 12:16 PM   #855
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Speaking of Susan Collins....she had been very quiet for a while, but now has spoken up. What did she say?

That when the mobs attacked the Capitol last week, her first thought was that it was the Iranians.
Wow is Trump really that popular with them that they would go to his speech first?

She does deserve an award, she found a scapegoat even dumber than Antifa.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 12:18 PM   #856
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Here's some of what Trump said this morning (ABC News):
Quote:
"As far as this is concerned, we want no violence -- never violence," Trump said outside the White House as headed for a trip to Texas, facing reporters for the first time since his supporters rioted last Wednesday after he urged them to march on the Capitol. "On the impeachment, it’s really a continuation of the greatest witch hunt in the history of politics. It’s ridiculous. It’s absolutely ridiculous. This impeachment is causing tremendous anger, and you’re doing it, and it’s really a terrible thing that they’re doing."

"For Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer to continue on this path, I think it’s causing tremendous danger to our country, and it’s causing tremendous anger," Trump added. "I want no violence."
Twice he says that impeachment is "causing tremendous anger"- and implies not only that any violence that results will be the fault of anyone pursuing impeachment, but that any violence that does result is at least understandable, if not justified. "I don't want to see anyone getting hurt, but, gosh, people are angry about what you're doing to me!"

Just so we're straight- Pelosi, et al, pursuing a legitimate Constitutional remedy for an ill they see is dangerous and may provoke violence, but the words you uttered last week that led to the riot (and the need for the remedy)?
Quote:
When a reporter asked, "What is your role in what happened at the Capitol? What is your personal responsibility?" he responded, “So if you read my speech -- and many people have done it and I've seen it, both in the papers and in the media on television. It's been analyzed, and people thought that what I said was totally appropriate.

"And if you look at what other people have said, politicians at a high level, about the riots during the summer, the horrible riots in Portland and Seattle and various other--other places, that was a real problem, what they said. But they've analyzed my speech and my words and my final paragraph, my final sentence. And everybody, to the tee, thought it was totally appropriate."
Oh, well, that's all good then- some people who you aren't naming (as usual) have told you what you want to hear (as usual), and you're absolved. (My guess is he asked Melania, and she said "no, Mr President, your speech was perfect." And he probably does make her call him "Mr President"- "in a sexy Marilyn Monroe voice, Melania, if you please.") But, of course, things other people said before the Portland riots were totally to blame for them.

Here's the thing though- there's this real-life concept called "context." Trump seems to live in a context-free, second-to-second reality all his own, in which everything he says (or does) must be judged as if it occurred in a perfect vacuum. To him, what he said in his little performance Jan 6 was fine, because everything he's said up to that point doesn't matter. "Stop the steal!" "The only way I can lose is if the other side cheats!" "Proven fraud!"- for the purposes of absolution from the foreseeable consequences of one speech, none of the other things he said or did leading up to it ever happened. And that's what makes the anger (and possible violence) over impeachment, to him, understandable- he honestly thinks he didn't do anything to justify it, because each thing, taken separately, is meaningless. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he really doesn't want violence (if only because it's made him look bad), and probably didn't intend for things to get so out of hand Jan 6- but it's no good to to decry something that you then turn around and excuse. (And that may be giving him too much benefit of any doubt- I've read reports that he was puzzled as to why other people in the WH that day were so upset about a riot that he seemed to see as a vindication of him)

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 12:49 PM   #857
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Nope, but CHP has announced it will be on full alert, Sacramento County and City police (wh have two forces here) states all eaves and days off willl be conccelled,.
Unoffikcially, a friend of mine who is a sergeant in the National Guard got a phone call from his CO to tell his mean to prepare to be morbilised next week.
I've been to the Capitol in Sacramento the campus around it is a lot smaller than the Capitol campus in Olympia. By this I mean private property is much closer to the main Capitol building. So the potential for spillage of problems there seem more problematic.

Stay safe.
Old 12th January 2021, 01:01 PM   #858
Garrison
Philosopher

I thought Stephen Colbert nailed it, there can't reconciliation without repentance. So until the Republicans show one shred of remorse at the carnage they've caused by supporting Trump Joe Biden should focus on delivering his agenda and ignore the Republicans. If the Republicans want to carry on embracing the deplorables that's entirely their own choice.
Old 12th January 2021, 01:03 PM   #859
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
I thought Stephen Colbert nailed it, there can't reconciliation without repentance. So until the Republicans show one shred of remorse at the carnage they've caused by supporting Trump Joe Biden should focus on delivering his agenda and ignore the Republicans. If the Republicans want to carry on embracing the deplorables that's entirely their own choice.
You can't label nazis bent on overthrowing the government deplorable like that!
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 01:05 PM   #860
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Here's some of what Trump said this morning (ABC News):

Twice he says that impeachment is "causing tremendous anger"- and implies not only that any violence that results will be the fault of anyone pursuing impeachment, but that any violence that does result is at least understandable, if not justified. "I don't want to see anyone getting hurt, but, gosh, people are angry about what you're doing to me!"

Just so we're straight- Pelosi, et al, pursuing a legitimate Constitutional remedy for an ill they see is dangerous and may provoke violence, but the words you uttered last week that led to the riot (and the need for the remedy)?

Oh, well, that's all good then- some people who you aren't naming (as usual) have told you what you want to hear (as usual), and you're absolved. (My guess is he asked Melania, and she said "no, Mr President, your speech was perfect." And he probably does make her call him "Mr President"- "in a sexy Marilyn Monroe voice, Melania, if you please.") But, of course, things other people said before the Portland riots were totally to blame for them.

Here's the thing though- there's this real-life concept called "context." Trump seems to live in a context-free, second-to-second reality all his own, in which everything he says (or does) must be judged as if it occurred in a perfect vacuum. To him, what he said in his little performance Jan 6 was fine, because everything he's said up to that point doesn't matter. "Stop the steal!" "The only way I can lose is if the other side cheats!" "Proven fraud!"- for the purposes of absolution from the foreseeable consequences of one speech, none of the other things he said or did leading up to it ever happened. And that's what makes the anger (and possible violence) over impeachment, to him, understandable- he honestly thinks he didn't do anything to justify it, because each thing, taken separately, is meaningless. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he really doesn't want violence (if only because it's made him look bad), and probably didn't intend for things to get so out of hand Jan 6- but it's no good to to decry something that you then turn around and excuse. (And that may be giving him too much benefit of any doubt- I've read reports that he was puzzled as to why other people in the WH that day were so upset about a riot that he seemed to see as a vindication of him)
He says he wants no violence? This is the man who talked about 2nd Amendment solutions, Wanted hecklers roughed up? Called journalists enemies of the state and talked about taking the country back?
Old 12th January 2021, 01:08 PM   #861
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
You can't label nazis bent on overthrowing the government deplorable like that!
Of course, I mean clearly Hilary Clinton was completely out of order when she stated something that has been repeatedly proven true over the last four years...
Old 12th January 2021, 01:12 PM   #862
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
He says he wants no violence? This is the man who talked about 2nd Amendment solutions, Wanted hecklers roughed up? Called journalists enemies of the state and talked about taking the country back?
Yea, he may as well be handing out fire-arms while telling people to fight for their country... but no violence...
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 01:15 PM   #863
chrispy
Graduate Poster

As far as I'm concerned, incitement to violence is an act of violence in and of itself, especially given the power of Trump's platform. He is guilty as sin and he knows it, so now we get deflect, deflect, deflect. Poor non-violent Trump, all he wanted was a peaceful protest
Old 12th January 2021, 02:39 PM   #864
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

"We can't let the next administration even think about taking it down," Trump says about his border wall.
Also saying 25th Amendment "is of zero risk to me, but will come back to haunt Joe Biden and the Biden administration"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 02:44 PM   #865
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

from Reuters:

“Secretary of State Mike Pompeo cancelled his Europe trip at the last minute on Tuesday after Luxembourg's foreign minister and top European Union officials declined to meet him, European diplomats and other people familiar with the matter said”
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 02:47 PM   #866
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Many more companies pulling out of support or donations for Republicans.

Jake Tapper (CNN): "You know it's really bad when you piss off Hallmark."
Old 12th January 2021, 03:04 PM   #867
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
"We can't let the next administration even think about taking it down," Trump says about his border wall.
Also saying 25th Amendment "is of zero risk to me, but will come back to haunt Joe Biden and the Biden administration"
This scares me because there is 0 doubt that the Repubs will try to get Biden out because of the "dementia" they have blathered about for the past year.

Last edited by chrispy; 12th January 2021 at 03:05 PM.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 03:08 PM   #868
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

This scares me because there is 0 doubt that the Repubs will try to get Biden out because of the "dementia" they have blathered about for the past year.
Don't worry. It's not going to happen.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 03:21 PM   #869
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Biden hardly needs to take the few pathetic pieces of wall Trump got built down, leave it unattended for a couple of weeks and it looks like it will fall down of its own accord.
Old 12th January 2021, 03:29 PM   #870
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The JCS is in on the steal! There is no end to this conspriacy agianst Dear Leader1
I woild love to see Trump's face when he read that the JCS is acknowledged Biden as their future Commander in Chief.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th January 2021, 03:42 PM   #871
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

The JCS is in on the steal! There is no end to this conspriacy agianst Dear Leader1
I woild love to see Trump's face when he read that the JCS is acknowledged Biden as their future Commander in Chief.
Them saying Biden is the next Commander in Chief is probably not a big deal. (Even Stubby McBonespurs said there will be a transition.)

What probably annoys him is that they acknowledged that Biden was "duly elected".

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 03:58 PM   #872
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Now Liz CHeney announced she will vote to impeach.
Between the JCS statement,News that Mconnell might vote to convice, and Kiz Cheyney, this is a horrid day for Donnie.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th January 2021, 04:19 PM   #873
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump supporter calls Schumer a "Anti Semite"
https://thehill.com/homenews/news/53...st-anti-semite
Not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer is she?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th January 2021, 04:22 PM   #874
slyjoe
Master Poster

About as sharp as the group in Alaska that were going to demonstrate at a shopping mall in Anchorage. No one told them the capital for Alaska is in Juneau.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 04:28 PM   #875
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Why are you claiming that?

Pence has been one of Trump's enablers for the past 4 years. His willingness to support Trump to the end does not necessarily mean he now has any sort of "authority" over Trump... more likely that he just has no ethics.
Trump was God's vessel. For what, I'm not sure.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 04:31 PM   #876
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Trump was God's vessel. For what, I'm not sure.
Waste?
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 04:56 PM   #877
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Get set for an epic meltdown from Donnie.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th January 2021, 04:59 PM   #878
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That is so hilarious. Maybe the Trump supporter thinks Schumer has a self loathing issue.
Old 12th January 2021, 05:06 PM   #879
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
That is so hilarious. Maybe the Trump supporter thinks Schumer has a self loathing issue.
If you believe that Democrats hate Israel and love Muslim terrorists (exactly what a QAnon type would believe), then every Jewish Democrat is an antisemite.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 05:07 PM   #880
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Read?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics