IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th October 2010, 08:20 PM   #201
HawaiiBigSis
List Management

Originally Posted by ZirconBlue View Post
I liked it, personally. The finish may be a little weak, but, overall, it was a fun read.
I suspect there's a lot of overlap in our reading preferences, ZirconBlue.

Just because a book doesn't completely live up to its potential, doesn't make it the worst book ever. If that were so, I'd have far too many books to choose from for the title of worst.

I already have far too many books to choose from for the title of best.
Old 5th October 2010, 08:37 PM   #202
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Originally Posted by HawaiiBigSis View Post
I suspect there's a lot of overlap in our reading preferences, ZirconBlue.

Just because a book doesn't completely live up to its potential, doesn't make it the worst book ever. If that were so, I'd have far too many books to choose from for the title of worst.

I already have far too many books to choose from for the title of best.
Yeah. Books I've read seem to fit into one of the following categories:

(1) Books so atrocious I quit after a chapter or two. (Very rare)
(2) Books that I enjoyed enough to finish, but not enough to re-read. (Pretty common)
(3) Books I enjoy enough to re-read (maybe not as common as type 2, but much more common than type 1)

For a point of reference The DaVinci Code is a Type 2. The writing is sub-par, but the plot was compelling enough to keep me reading. Ending every chapter on a cliffhanger was a pretty shrewd move on Brown's part.

Examples of Type 1 books include the novelization of the original V miniseries, and a cheesy D&D/Vampire mashup called Dhampir.
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 08:40 PM   #203
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

I liked it, personally. The finish may be a little weak, but, overall, it was a fun read.
Well, I liked it just enough to torture myself with its other incarnations, that's for sure.

But, I think that once they went back in time, the story crumbled a bit. It became just a lot of chase sequences and guided tours.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 08:44 PM   #204
Fireshadow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by A Lurker View Post
I'm glad someone mentioned this, it was going to be one of my choices; To me, the worst book is not the most atrocious one outright... there's something that makes me just feel blasé about pure rubbish, it is what it is and I can't feel too offended by it. But something which holds out at least some promise, and then slowly decays into absolute tosh adds the bitter poison of disappointment to it's failings in my eyes.

Piers Anthony then; My brother got heavily into him when we were around 12 years old, and would lend me his books after he had finished reading them. I can remember being impressed with the first Xanth book, "A Spell for Chameleon", in particular the maturity shown by the Wizard Trent character; who even when he is able to once more use his actual magic, prefers not too, instead relying upon personal qualities rather than brute power to lead... The line which goes roughly "If I broke my word to Bink, how could you trust my word to you?" has stayed with me as a good example of the virtues of over all honesty, and a nice illustration of how you can make someone heroic without giving him biceps the size of basketballs and a singing sword of slaying.

However, as I started to mature, Anthony started to regress... and when you consider he'd started at an early adolescent sort of age in the first place, the results were increasingly horrifying; puns replaced plotting, and an infantile over fascination with women as a voyeuristic pleasure seemed to enthuse everything left over... I believe I finally vowed to quit the Xanth series when I looked at one of the frontispieces of a book and saw "The Colour Of Her Panties" was a forthcoming title.

My younger brother slogged on to the Incarnation of Immorality books, but I could never bring myself to do so. I believe they showed a similar decline in quality?
One of the major differences between the Xanth novels and the Incarnations of Immortality, is that with the Incarnations, he knew where to stop. The argument can be made that the final two were unnecessary, but I felt that the sixth book, For Love of Evil, was probably the second best in the series (book one, On a Pale Horse, is my favorite). ...And Eternity, while fairly weak, was necessary for completeness. The Xanth novels, however, really should have stopped around book 7 or 8--and I can't think of one in the series that I really liked after book 12. He's on close to 30 of them now, and they're just ridiculous at this point. Where the Discworld books have stayed (IMHO) on a fairly level quality, Xanth has gone downhill rapidly with approximately the same number of titles.

As far as the criticisms of The Number of the Beast and later Heinlein books go, I suppose I'll have to agree to disagree on those. Number of the Beast in particular is possibly my favorite book, and definitely my favorite of Heinlein's. I suppose it's a blind spot for me--I have trouble finding fault with any of his work, most likely because the first novel I read was his (Have Spacesuit, Will Travel), and he was one of the big bonding things between me and my mother.

The worst book I've ever forced my way through would probably be Lord Foul's Bane, although I didn't quite finish...I think I just stopped with about 20 pages left, completely depressed by the utter hopelessness of the book, and the complete lack of any empathy for the main character. I can appreciate serious books, but I need at least a little light in all of the gloom.
Old 5th October 2010, 08:48 PM   #205
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go

I just got Lord Foul's Bane at a used book store, so I hope I have a different impression.

How about any second series you read by David Eddings? The first one you read will be fairly decent generic fantasy adventure. However, you will recognize on starting the second series that he simply renames his characters and locations and writes the same books all over again. Same plot points, characterizations, the works.
Old 5th October 2010, 08:52 PM   #206
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
Would I be Godwining this thread if I said Eoin Colfer's writing style was worse than Hitler's?
I've not read any of his work. However, anyone other than Douglas Adams writing a HHGTTG book is almost as bad as Hitler and would be near the top of my list of least favorite people. Somewhere ahead of the guy who held up the checkout line the other day -by not starting to write his check until the clerk finished scanning everything, while talking on his cell phone. Also his pants were slipping down, soeveryone behind him got to see his ass-crack. PULL YOU PANTS UP YOU [rule 10]! - and just behind Kevin Trudeau.

Not that I dwell on these things or keep track of them...in any written form that can be found and decoded by the police.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling

Last edited by CptColumbo; 5th October 2010 at 09:07 PM.
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 09:05 PM   #207
Madalch
The Jester

Originally Posted by Fireshadow View Post
One of the major differences between the Xanth novels and the Incarnations of Immortality, is that with the Incarnations, he knew where to stop. The argument can be made that the final two were unnecessary, but I felt that the sixth book, For Love of Evil, was probably the second best in the series (book one, On a Pale Horse, is my favorite). ...And Eternity, while fairly weak, was necessary for completeness. The Xanth novels, however, really should have stopped around book 7 or 8--and I can't think of one in the series that I really liked after book 12. He's on close to 30 of them now, and they're just ridiculous at this point. Where the Discworld books have stayed (IMHO) on a fairly level quality, Xanth has gone downhill rapidly with approximately the same number of titles.
The Incarnation books...I remember not really liking the fourth or fifth very much. I think the series should have been shortened by half the volumes.

They also suffered by having what? Sixty pages of the author's blog at the end of each book? Especially when he starts droning on about how his daughter's college friends seem to have no morals (they're shagging people his own age instead of people -his- age- how dare they!).
Old 5th October 2010, 09:34 PM   #208
HawaiiBigSis
List Management

Yeah. Books I've read seem to fit into one of the following categories:

(1) Books so atrocious I quit after a chapter or two. (Very rare)
(2) Books that I enjoyed enough to finish, but not enough to re-read. (Pretty common)
(3) Books I enjoy enough to re-read (maybe not as common as type 2, but much more common than type 1)
I so rarely re-read a book (with the exception of re-reading for book clubs, classes, or for the purposes of discussion), it's not even worth considering a category. My criteria is "Books I would recommend."

I also rarely give up on a book. If I make it past the first 50 pages before I say "This is stupid," I'll finish it looking for something redeeming.

I have quit a book before 50 pages but come back to it when I'm in a different mood because I wanted to read it.

I have trouble finding fault with any of his work, most likely because the first novel I read was his (Have Spacesuit, Will Travel), and he was one of the big bonding things between me and my mother.
This is true for me too. I don't think it was my first novel, but it was my first sci-fi/fantasy book.
Old 5th October 2010, 09:48 PM   #209
Fireshadow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Madalch View Post
The Incarnation books...I remember not really liking the fourth or fifth very much. I think the series should have been shortened by half the volumes.

They also suffered by having what? Sixty pages of the author's blog at the end of each book? Especially when he starts droning on about how his daughter's college friends seem to have no morals (they're shagging people his own age instead of people -his- age- how dare they!).
I don't remember any droning about his daughters' friends. Maybe you read different author's notes than I did. Perhaps those were in the later Xanth books, which the extended Authors Notes migrated to after the completion of the Incarnations series. As far as the books themselves, I would rank the third and fourth (With a Tangled Skein and Wielding a Red Sword, about Fate and War, respectively) as the weakest. I rate them quality wise as 1-6-5-2-7-4-3.
Old 5th October 2010, 10:19 PM   #210
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by JWideman View Post
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Not just one book, but the whole series. All of them. I'd read everything else in the library's meager fantasy section by that point. It's part of what got me into being an author, as it looked like they'd publish ANYTHING.
That anything happens to be one of the most highly rated fantasy series ever made.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 10:27 PM   #211
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by CptColumbo View Post
I've not read any of his work. However, anyone other than Douglas Adams writing a HHGTTG book is almost as bad as Hitler and would be near the top of my list of least favorite people.
I must say that Dirk Maggs did a pretty good job writing extensions to the HHGG radio series.

It's not impossible to follow DNA's lead in writing HHGG material. It just takes special effort. Retards, like Colfer, never stood a chance!

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 10:27 PM   #212
Madalch
The Jester

I don't remember any droning about his daughters' friends. Maybe you read different author's notes than I did. Perhaps those were in the later Xanth books, which the extended Authors Notes migrated to after the completion of the Incarnations series.
No- these were in the Incarnations series; I stopped reading Xanth before he started blogging in them. I seem to recall that he complained that his daughter and her friends came to visit- two female friends, three male friends, and three sleeping bags. Then he snidely states that he will not deign to comment on the mores of this generation (and yet, in The Shade of the Tree, it's perfectly fine for the 40-year-old man to sleep with the 16-year-old babysitter because that's true love).
Old 5th October 2010, 10:32 PM   #213
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
I must say that Dirk Maggs did a pretty good job writing extensions to the HHGG radio series.

It's not impossible to follow DNA's lead in writing HHGG material. It just takes special effort. Retards, like Colfer, never stood a chance!
I'd like to see a hitch-hikers written by Michael Palin.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 10:37 PM   #214
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
That anything happens to be one of the most highly rated fantasy series ever made.
I'll admit to enjoying the earlier books in the series, but I couldn't see all of them through.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 10:46 PM   #215
malbui
Beauf

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
Peig. Possibly the most awful book ever written in any language. Even worse than Rand's Atlas Shrugged. I've never managed to finish the later Sword of Truth books or any of the Gor books so they don't count. But they're not as bad as Peig.
And what makes it worse is Peig's favoured status among teachers of Irish. You're learning? Read this.

The only good thing about it from my experience was how easily it leant itself to parody. On a disk somewhere I've got my retelling in which Peig is controlling the market in crack and hookers along the Kerry coast and Tomás Ó Criomhthain is in charge of deliveries.
Old 5th October 2010, 10:46 PM   #216
Helen
Implicitly explicit

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
A bit off topic, but there seem to be a few Swedes posting. How does Stieg Larsson read in the original language?

I'm only asking out of interest, while I'm a bit mystified by the acclaim his millennium trilogy got, I certainly wouldn't say they belonged in this thread.
He was a journalist, and perhaps it shows a bit; the writing is good and servicable, but nothing to get too excited about. I wouldn't say the books belong in this thread either, I quite enjoyed them, and think Lisbeth Salander is an intriguing take on the tired old super hero, but I am a bit mystified by the success as well.

As for Eoin Colfer, the less said the better. I knew all along I shouldn't read it, but couldn't resist. All it did was make me miss DNA all the more.
Helen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2010, 12:39 AM   #217
Aitch

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
QFT. :-)

I'm going to miss the new Parker novels that seemed to be published every few months. Fortunately, he wrote quite a few I haven't read yet.

-- Roger
To be honest, toward the end he was repeating plots and becoming somewhat formulaic. Though he did drop the 'big fist fight at the end of the book' trope quite early on.

And there is one last Spenser due out next month, IIRC.
Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
I think there's a couple of Spenser novels I haven't read yet. After that, I guess I'll catch up with the Sunny Randall and Jesse Stone novels, but it won't be the same. Got annoyed that both Jesse and Sunny ended their relationship to carry on chasing after people who clearly aren't good for them.
Don't worry, in the last Jesse Stone novel, they get back together in what looks like a happy-ever-after way.
Aitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2010, 12:57 AM   #218
PixyMisa
Persnickety Insect

Where the Discworld books have stayed (IMHO) on a fairly level quality
Read, say, The Thief of Time or Night Watch, then go back and read The Colour of Magic. The writing actually improved steadily over the years.
Old 6th October 2010, 02:06 AM   #219
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Pure_Argent View Post
I weep bitter tears for Frank Herbert, because he didn't die of a heart attack immediately after publishing Dune. If he had, he would be hailed as one of the greatest science fiction authors ever. Since he did not, he isn't The Guy Who Wrote Dune. He's The Guy Who Wrote Everything After Dune.
Personally, I wish he'd bothered to finish Dune properly. It's always struck me as three quarters of a really good book.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2010, 02:08 AM   #220
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by RSLancastr View Post
Quite possibly the worst book I have ever read was the FIRST book in the Gap series. Why someone would ever read another is beyond me. you read them all?
There are five, FSM help us. I got midway through the third in the hope that they'd get better. They didn't.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2010, 05:18 AM   #221
Fireshadow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by PixyMisa View Post
Read, say, The Thief of Time or Night Watch, then go back and read The Colour of Magic. The writing actually improved steadily over the years.
Well, I will agree with that, I was just using Pratchett as an example of a highly prolific author who does not appear to have lost anything over the years. I love Thud, but some of the other Discworld books can be hit or miss. Unseen Academicals was not among his best work, but I can look back on the earlier books and they compare favorably with the more recent ones, particularly Guards, Guards and Wyrd Sisters.

Last edited by Fireshadow; 6th October 2010 at 05:19 AM. Reason: punctuation
Fireshadow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2010, 05:31 AM   #222
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Philosaur View Post
I recently stopped reading A Study in Scarlet. As my introduction to Sherlock Holmes, it wasn't so good. Part I ends with Holmes collaring the murderer--but without an explanation of the crime. Part II (where I quit reading) is this interminable flashback to the Wild West, replete with buzzards, vicious Mormons, and an Englishman's laughably bad attempt at period American dialog.
The flashback is actually the story of how and why the crime came about. A very long story, I'll grant you, but it comes together at the end.

And I've been very much enjoying the rest of the Holmes canon.
Old 6th October 2010, 05:46 AM   #223
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
Silence, whelp! Heretics and Chapterhouse are awesome. God-Emperor was indeed very, very dull, very painful to read, but I still wouldn't classify it as anywhere close to the worst book ever. But thankfully he redeemed himself with the last two, they are great. I actually like them better than Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, though the first one remains the best, of course.

The real way to "easily fix" this is to read his son's worthless cash-grabbing prequels.
Whelp?!?! I'm older than you are.
I can't really agree with you on Heretic and Chapterhouse. The Honoured Matres with their magic hoo-has so that any man who sticks his tinkle in one is enslaved for ever, until they meet Duncan Idaho (the 4374th) now with added super speed, who has a magic tinkle that enslaves them.

Cheesy old man's wank fantasy at best.

I admit it is 20 odd years since I read them and that's pretty much all I can remember.

I agree completely on young Brian's cash in drivel though.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2010, 05:53 AM   #224
Philosaur
Muse

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The flashback is actually the story of how and why the crime came about. A very long story, I'll grant you, but it comes together at the end.

And I've been very much enjoying the rest of the Holmes canon.
Yeah, I recognized a couple of the names from the flashback matching names of the more contemporary characters, and I understand that Doyle was using the flashback as exposition--but the flashback was just BORING. Maybe I'll just skip to another story.
Philosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2010, 06:44 AM   #225
bjornart
Master Poster

I've read 19 Xanth books... Yeah, I know. But I don't consider the last five of those as books. They're book-like pun-delivery systems. All fan service all the time. Long lists at the end of which fan submitted which pun. I don't think the author even realises he's doing both himself and his fans a diservice.
Old 6th October 2010, 07:00 AM   #226
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Agreed on all counts. (Well, except that he apparently decided to write an 8th Incarnations of Immortality book in 2007. I'll assume it's crap, like the add-on Apprentice Adept books, and ignore its existance.)

Originally Posted by bjornart View Post
I've read 19 Xanth books... Yeah, I know. But I don't consider the last five of those as books. They're book-like pun-delivery systems. All fan service all the time. Long lists at the end of which fan submitted which pun. I don't think the author even realises he's doing both himself and his fans a diservice.
Which is weird, because early on he told his fans to stop sending him puns, that he wouldn't use them.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2010, 07:27 AM   #227
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm probably the only person on the planet who thinks so, but I loathed "West of Eden" by Harry Harrison.

I thought it was overwrought, but I kept reading it because the premise was so promising, I couldn't believe it wasn't better!
Mostly what I remember about that was slogging through it, then finding there was a glossary at the end that explained the terms.

One thing I really hate is getting through a fairly good book and thinking you have a chapter or two left, only to find it ends and the last several pages is a chapter from a new book to be released.
Old 6th October 2010, 07:39 AM   #228
Nonpareil
The Terrible Trivium

Originally Posted by quixotecoyote View Post
I just got Lord Foul's Bane at a used book store, so I hope I have a different impression.
Enjoy. Great series.

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
And for good reason.

Very definitely. I'd say that the ones around Night Watch were the best, with Night Watch itself as the best of the series.

I can look back on the earlier books and they compare favorably with the more recent ones, particularly Guards, Guards and Wyrd Sisters.
Both among my favorites.
Old 6th October 2010, 09:57 AM   #229
Swagomatic
Homer Simpson Analogue

Originally Posted by Last of the Fraggles View Post
The Great Gatsby is the most god awful piece of nothing ever to soil good paper. The only time I didn't do my homework in 12 years of school was when I was supposed to read that. Hundreds of pages of absolutely nothing followed by more nothing.
Wow, I must say, I don't really understand all the hatred for The Great Gatsby. As I remember, I thought it was a pretty good book, and relatively short. Oh well.

One book that I read that I really hated, and I had hoped it would be really good, was Sanctuary by William Faulkner. It's supposed to be a literary treasure, but I just didn't get it.
Old 6th October 2010, 10:28 AM   #230
Swagomatic
Homer Simpson Analogue

Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Admit it, you've stolen my taste in books...

I have tried a couple of times, but find Moby Dick unreadable.

<Snip>

I really enjoyed Moby Dick, but it did take some work. I found it very difficult slogging at first, but after a while, I seemed to fall into the rhythm of the language.

This is an audio book, so I don't know if it counts or not, but it's another really bad one that I sort of picked up by chance. I grabbed it at the library before a long drive (it was the only audiobook available). It was this Christian mystery novel. I can't remember the author's name or the name of the book, but it was absolute drivel. It was about this group of people who we kidnapped and hidden in this silo somewhere in the Midwest. Truly, it was terrible.

Last edited by Swagomatic; 6th October 2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Swagomatic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2010, 03:12 PM   #231
Pikachu
Scholar

Lord of the Flies ruined English lessons for me.
Shannara was total bilge start to finish.
I can't count Silas Marner because I've never managed to finish it.
Eddings the Dreamers is a waste of paper - mainly because of the ending.
I've twice joined book-groups and left because of "Star of the Sea". Contrary to the blurb there are no jokes in it - unless you're sick.
I used to like PD James - but they're like an extended Godwin these days.
And anything by Philippa Gregory - warning homeopathic levels of history.
Pikachu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2010, 03:34 PM   #232
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Originally Posted by Philosaur View Post
Yeah, I recognized a couple of the names from the flashback matching names of the more contemporary characters, and I understand that Doyle was using the flashback as exposition--but the flashback was just BORING. Maybe I'll just skip to another story.
First time I read Study in Scarlet was on the school computer network from a CD ROM of classic books. I got to part two and assumed the disc wasn't being read properly. Was a year or two later I read a paper copy and realised Conan Doyle threw a tedious Western section onto the book. As a general rule, the short stories were a lot better than the full length novels.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2010, 05:44 PM   #233
Rollo9
New Blood

Originally Posted by shawmutt View Post
Not a single book, but a series. The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan started strong, dwindled to some sort of meandering nonsense around the 5th book (or 6th or 7th, I've tried to bleach my brain of the series), and continuing to the 12th book, all of which I read hoping the story would pick up again. Then the author died.

Fail.
I gave up after book seven.
Rollo9 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2010, 08:46 PM   #234
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Piers Anthony probably deserves his own thread.

I recently read Two to the Fifth and realized that though I was picking Darkship Thieves up to read again and again, I had no desire at all to read Two to the Fifth ever again. I also figured out while reading that one that every single male protagonist so far has been Bink, and there's only two female characters he ever uses--the seductress and the good girl looking to get married.

Still, he's gotten a little less misogynistic since his earliest science fiction. "Weakness of her sex", indeed.
Silly Green Monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2010, 09:57 PM   #235
Arkayik

Oh, yeah. Anthony was my favorite author during my teens. I'm not sure whether he became much worse over time, or my tastes changed.
Good point, I suspect tastes changed, the fare remained fairly constant....
Arkayik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2010, 10:44 PM   #236
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Reading this thread has made me glad that I don't read fiction. There seems to be a lot of crap out there.

That said, the worst book I've read is Peter Nichols' Final Voyage. This is ostensibly about a group of whaleships which was trapped in the ice off Alaska in 1870. Except that Nichols spends most of the book talking about what life was like back in the ships' home port. I kept waiting for him to get around to the actual voyage part. It took him about 200 pages, then there was about 15 pages of actual voyage description, then fin.

And for you Moby Dick haters, it's based on the true story of the whaleship Essex, which is told in a very harrowing fashion in In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick. I give Philbrick two thumbs up, but be warned; it's not for the faint of heart, or stomach.
Old 6th October 2010, 11:22 PM   #237
Parsman
Muse

Originally Posted by quixotecoyote View Post

How about any second series you read by David Eddings? The first one you read will be fairly decent generic fantasy adventure. However, you will recognize on starting the second series that he simply renames his characters and locations and writes the same books all over again. Same plot points, characterizations, the works.
Have to agree with this. Also that Eddings seems to go soap opera quicker than any other fantasy author. And by soap opera I mean cheapo "Days of Our Lives" videotaped soap, the real bottom of the barrel.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2010, 11:26 PM   #238
Madalch
The Jester

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
Have to agree with this. Also that Eddings seems to go soap opera quicker than any other fantasy author. And by soap opera I mean cheapo "Days of Our Lives" videotaped soap, the real bottom of the barrel.
Eddings' work is so repetitive that even his characters comment on it.
Old 7th October 2010, 04:59 AM   #239
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by four elevener View Post
Stephen King's From a Buick 8.

I'm a big fan of his and I'll finish the good ones in a matter of days, but this one was so boring, I couldn't read any more than a chapter or two at a time. I would pick it up periodically after going a while without reading it (to see if it would get any better), but it never did, so back on the shelf it went. Eventually, I finished it after almost three years. Definitely one of his worse.
I rather likes it, one of his better books of the last few years.

Originally Posted by Mark6 View Post
Funny you should say that, as just today I read on John Scalzi's blog What I Think About Atlas Shrugged -- while very far from a fan of Rand's philosophy, he thinks she was a passable fiction writer:
So reading Rand is better than listening to graphic, real life, first person, prison rape stories. Praise indeed.

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
Yep, thousand year old military equipment, and learning to use it on simulators, that's pretty cool. I gave the movie to a Harrier pilot once. I thought he was going to kill me after he saw it.
There were no Harriers in the book, the aircraft were takes from the evil aliens. Who were of course Psychiatrists.

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
But, I think the worst book I every read all the way through was Night Fall by Nelson DeMille.

First, it's not a very good thriller. A big problem is that the improbable twist ending is telegraphed several chapters earlier - which saps it of any emotion or excitement. It is just silly.

Second, the book is based on real events ... as interpreted by a CTer. I found it pathetic that the author would create a silly fantasy around an incident which killed 230 people. The insensitivity shown by DeMille for the families of the victims of TWA Flight 800 is amazing.

-- Roger
Is that the one where he blames everything going wrong on letting women serve in the military?

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
My "worst ever" was a mystery. I didn't know Braun's name and picked up a mystery thinking it was one of her cat series to see what they were like (as I'm always looking for a reliable series - it makes picking out airport books so much easier). I got about 60% through the damned thing when it became apparent that the murders were based around someone trying to take over the magical cats. Yes, magical cats. Purportedly there are no male calico cats, but this farmer had a bunch of them and not only were they rare (which, used as a plot could've been slightly acceptable as "rare" often equals "valuable"), but they're rare and MAGICAL.

I never found out why or how.... I threw the book in the garbage.
I quite like the "Cat Who" series but they're padded out short stories really.

I'm probably the only person on the planet who thinks so, but I loathed "West of Eden" by Harry Harrison.

I thought it was overwrought, but I kept reading it because the premise was so promising, I couldn't believe it wasn't better!
Yeah it's not his best work. Nice illustrations though.

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
And what makes it worse is Peig's favoured status among teachers of Irish. You're learning? Read this.
Oddly my LC teacher, who was a significant influence on me, admitted to hating it. I much preferred Tóraíocht.

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
The only good thing about it from my experience was how easily it leant itself to parody. On a disk somewhere I've got my retelling in which Peig is controlling the market in crack and hookers along the Kerry coast and Tomás Ó Criomhthain is in charge of deliveries.
Yes it's very suited to parody. I'd like to hear your version
I have to get off the subject of Peig, even today that books, or rather the forcing of it on kids, infuriates me.

Yes he seems to have moved from light parody of the fantasy genre to his own distinctive style, which I like. If I'd started with the first books, rather than Hogfather, I might not have read the others.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2010, 07:33 AM   #240
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
Reading this thread has made me glad that I don't read fiction. There seems to be a lot of crap out there.

Sturgeon's LawWP doesn't just apply to fiction, you know.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts