ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , environmental activists , Greta Thunberg

Old 22nd June 2020, 11:17 PM   #2001
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I have seen several from her opponents. Even the POTUS (speaking of people with tantrums) has felt the need to belittle her.
That doesn't mean anything. He belittles everyone who doesn't suck up to him. It's one of the diagnostic criteria for his mental illness.
Old 23rd June 2020, 07:32 AM   #2002
Arcade22
Philosopher

Apparently while travelling through north America the only area she felt a need to call the police because of threats and harassment was in Alberta, Canada. No wonder that these people wanted to ravish this innocent maiden. Personally I think Canada must ******* pay for this crime.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 02:14 PM   #2003
Stout
Illuminator

Hot Damn ! The more this kid goes on, the more I like her.

Greta Thunberg hits out at leaders who use her fame to 'look good'

She's a smart girl, I'm sure she has the same suspicions about the vast majority of her followers and knows that it would be suicidal to say that.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 02:27 PM   #2004
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I told you so.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 03:09 PM   #2005
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Um, yeeah? Is there a problem? Is there any doubt that world leaders have an incredibly shallow and publicity-driven view of environmental issues?

I fail to see anything wrong with the article.
Old 1st July 2020, 08:36 AM   #2006
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Um, yeeah? Is there a problem? Is there any doubt that world leaders have an incredibly shallow and publicity-driven view of environmental issues?

There's no problem. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 09:27 AM   #2007
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's relevant to one of the recurring themes in the debate about the value and efficacy of Greta's activism.

It's been proposed more than once that the organizers of COP25 and Davos, who invited Greta to speak, did so as a PR strategy rather than out of any sincere intent to act on her proposals. It was virtue signaling, designed to curry favor with the masses, without actually doing anything to earn that favor.

The article reports that Greta herself sees politicians behaving exactly this way. Angela Merkel knows that putting a selfie with Greta on her social media generates a lot of PR value for little effort, and doesn't require making any difficult policy changes at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if, ten years from now, she gives an interview saying her Davos and COP appearances were a waste of time, that they didn't change anything, and that she regrets letting herself be used as a political PR prop for so many years.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 05:05 PM   #2008
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if, ten years from now, she gives an interview saying her Davos and COP appearances were a waste of time, that they didn't change anything, and that she regrets letting herself be used as a political PR prop for so many years.
Well she's already said that last part. It's in the linked article.
Old 1st July 2020, 05:47 PM   #2009
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well she's already said that last part. It's in the linked article.
Then she's already on the path to wisdom.
Old 1st July 2020, 05:57 PM   #2010
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Brasil has all to do with the Amazon jungle and it's use or preservation. At least it isn't really that great lung of the world it's hyped up for. Oceans make 90% of oxygen, not plants.
Somebody who makes save the rainforest propaganda isn't listening to the scientific stuff.
Oceans aren't doing too well either. I read somewhere that with climate change that won't be a thing either
Old 1st July 2020, 11:22 PM   #2011
dann
Penultimate Amazing

It's relevant to one of the recurring themes in the debate about the value and efficacy of Greta's activism.

It's been proposed more than once that the organizers of COP25 and Davos, who invited Greta to speak, did so as a PR strategy rather than out of any sincere intent to act on her proposals. It was virtue signaling, designed to curry favor with the masses, without actually doing anything to earn that favor.

The article reports that Greta herself sees politicians behaving exactly this way. Angela Merkel knows that putting a selfie with Greta on her social media generates a lot of PR value for little effort, and doesn't require making any difficult policy changes at all.

Wow. You've actually turned into a Greta fan.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:58 AM   #2012
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Apparently while travelling through north America the only area she felt a need to call the police because of threats and harassment was in Alberta, Canada. No wonder that these people wanted to ravish this innocent maiden. Personally I think Canada must ******* pay for this crime.
I watched that incident live on TV. To the best of my recollection - a female reporter along with a camera operator were following her down an open hallway and she asked Miss Thunberg to better explain her remarks about something. Nobody ever claimed what the reporter asked was out of line or insulting or provocative.
The reporter was not loud or threatening in any manner and the security personnel and Greta's handlers did not seem concerned. It was pretty innocuous and something that happens to thousands of public personalities every day. It was certainly not something that could be associated to paparazzi like treatment.
Miss Thunberg suddenly turned around and vehemently and loudly threatened to call the police and have the reporter arrested. To say the reporter was shocked would be an understatement. Miss Thunberg's handlers looked shocked as well and immediately grabbed her and lead her away.

That being said - I do not hold this isolated incident against Miss Thunberg. Everybody has bad days.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 01:17 AM   #2013
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
I watched that incident live on TV.
Live? You mean in real-time, as it happened? No wonder she was upset.
Old 2nd July 2020, 06:35 AM   #2014
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. You've actually turned into a Greta fan.
Turned into? That isn't even the most supportive thing I've said about Greta in this thread.

I don't begrudge her the sailboat ride, if that's what you mean.
Old 2nd July 2020, 02:47 PM   #2015
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Live? You mean in real-time, as it happened? No wonder she was upset.
I was in the Global BC television Studio in Burnaby BC with my daughter and a very close family friend who has now retired from the business. The well known broadcaster was a mentor to my daughter. So yes - it was live and uncut and not what the general public saw because it was a satellite feed to the network affiliates.
The edited footage showing Miss Thunberg making the threat was shown on the BC Global newscast that night - but not the longer lead-up to the incident or the aftermath.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 05:39 PM   #2016
Red Baron Farms
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Sorry your funding platform got killed, RBF. I'll hit up your page.
Thanks for that. After a 6 month delay the platform is back up. I resubmitted. It was approved and today went live!

Now maybe I can get that one small data point I promised Prestige.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 01:37 AM   #2017
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
I was in the Global BC television Studio in Burnaby BC with my daughter and a very close family friend who has now retired from the business. The well known broadcaster was a mentor to my daughter. So yes - it was live and uncut and not what the general public saw because it was a satellite feed to the network affiliates.
The edited footage showing Miss Thunberg making the threat was shown on the BC Global newscast that night - but not the longer lead-up to the incident or the aftermath.

I was curious about this incident, and I hadn't heard about it until I read this thread just now. So I googled it - but google returned nothing to me about it, despite me using what I believe were all reasonable combinations of search terms.

Google also returns the standard "some results may have been removed under data protection law" message. Is it possible that Thunberg's people have taken active steps to scrub this incident from public searchable view?
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 07:31 AM   #2018
Red Baron Farms
Philosopher

What is the rate a new regenerative agricultural method sequesters carbon in the soil?
34% funded
20 days left

What do you think Prestige?
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 01:48 AM   #2019
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Nobels fredspris 2020: Greta Thunberg favorit hos spelbolagen (DagensNyheter.se, Oct. 9, 2020)
The Nobel Peace Prize 2020: Greta Thunberg is the favourite of bookmakers

It will be announced in a few minutes. Greta Thunberg thinks it's unlikely that she'll be awarded:
Greta om chanserna till fredspris: ”Osannolikt” (Aftonbladet.se, Oct. 9, 2020)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 01:52 AM   #2020
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Nobels fredspris 2020: Greta Thunberg favorit hos spelbolagen (DagensNyheter.se, Oct. 9, 2020)
The Nobel Peace Prize 2020: Greta Thunberg is the favourite of bookmakers

It will be announced in a few minutes. Greta Thunberg thinks it's unlikely that she'll be awarded:
Greta om chanserna till fredspris: ”Osannolikt” (Aftonbladet.se, Oct. 9, 2020)
Breaking on Swedish TV (SVT.se)

ETA: It was awarded to the World Food Programme. Trump will never forgive the Nobel Peace Prize Committee or the UN!

I was hoping, but not really expecting, that it would go to the doctors and nurses in Cuba's Henry Revee International Medical Brigade for their fight against the pandemic.

Last edited by dann; 9th October 2020 at 02:01 AM.
Old 9th October 2020, 02:00 AM   #2021
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

It's gone to the World Food Program

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 01:35 PM   #2022
Stout
Illuminator

So....here we are a year later. Anything of significance happen yet ? Oh yea, France banned propane patio heaters because their citizens were too stupid to give them up themselves so mommy government had to step in and do it for them.
Too bad the ban doesn't come into effect until after the winter because it seems that eating out at an outdoor restaurant is more important than slowing down the climate clock.

T-7 YRS 081 DAYS 10 : 59 : 55

Everyone excited and lined up to see I Am Greta ?

Maybe it'll reignite that climate change protest movement that seems to have crashed and burned, like a grove of trees in the Amazon rainforest.

Hummm, breaking her hon-involvement in party politics to come out and endorse Biden. If Greta thinks he's going to save the planet, then get out there and vote for him Americans. We're waiting.

Actually, come to think of it. The restaurant industry is pretty environmentally hostile. We've got international travel pretty much destroyed, the cruise ship industry on it's knees ( thanks pandemic ) maybe "we" should be looking at disposing of this abomination as well.
Old 13th October 2020, 01:45 PM   #2023
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm surprised she isn't already advocating for permanent lockdown.
Old 13th October 2020, 02:03 PM   #2024
Stout
Illuminator

I'm surprised she isn't already advocating for permanent lockdown.
I'm sure she would but she's smart enough to know that would destroy her career as an activist. No doubt she's figured out that a lot of her supporters are full of enough hot air to fill a balloon and would probably crap themselves if they learned that, in order to save the climate, these lockdowns we have going now are only the start.

I see she's stopped talking about politicians and is instead referring to "people"

Quote:
Thunberg believes her condition helps her look at the world and see what others cannot, or will not, see. She dislikes small talk and socialising, preferring to stick to routines and stay “laser-focused”.

And her ability to concentrate fiercely is acknowledged by her father, Svante Thunberg. “She can read a book and remember everything in it,” he says ruefully.

But while she argues that her disorder has given her a unique vision of the looming crisis being unleashed by rising carbon dioxide emissions, we see that it has also brought her considerable unhappiness.

Source: Greta Thunberg: ‘Only people like me dare ask tough questions on climate’
Old 13th October 2020, 03:40 PM   #2025
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It might be interesting to see what tough climate questions she's been asking that I haven't asked.
Old 13th October 2020, 03:45 PM   #2026
Stout
Illuminator

I'd be curious about that too. A lot of us have been doing the climate/pollution issue longer than Greta's been alive.
Old 13th October 2020, 05:10 PM   #2027
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Just a note that a good portion of the world is no longer in lockdown, and when they were it was not tightly enforced.

For many of us life has nearly returned to the old normal routine but with face masks.

There is no going back to lockdown when many economies are recovering out of necessity.
The plans for ecological recovery that had been in place took a huge hit with the pandemic and will need time to get going again.

And people are already on that. All around us, right now.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 10:32 AM   #2028
Stout
Illuminator

Just for fun

Smart people with fancy degrees telling us things I could hade told you without a fancy degree, although I am smart.

How to keep warm on a patio without heating the planet

Greta Thunberg....paging Greta Thunberg.

We need you to tell your supporters to stop sitting at patios that aren't sustainably heated. This means that if your energy grid is dirty, if your electricity comes from burning fossil fuels then those of us who are on a clean energy grid expect you to use a blanket.
Old 16th October 2020, 12:09 PM   #2029
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

I don't find Greta herself to be disturbed.

I find the people who have been using her a political pawn to be greatly disturbed and immoral people. Especially when the child in question suffers from cognitive issues. What these people are doing is bordering child abuse. And I'm not denying that she herself actually believes in climate change and speaks her mind. But regardless, the media has been taking a lot of advantage because nothing better than having a female autistic child being their spokesperson, so that anyone criticizing/challenging her is immediately a bad person.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 01:15 PM   #2030
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post

I find the people who have been using her a political pawn to be greatly disturbed and immoral people.
Who are these people?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 01:35 PM   #2031
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

one moment...
Old 16th October 2020, 01:39 PM   #2032
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post

I find the people who have been using her a political pawn to be greatly disturbed and immoral people.
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Who are these people?
Angela Merkel, for one.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...e-to-look-good
Old 17th October 2020, 03:26 AM   #2033
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Is that what Ron Tomkins was talking about?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 02:37 PM   #2034
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Perhaps Ron will respond.
Old 18th October 2020, 03:33 PM   #2035
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Just want to point out. In less than three months you will no longer be able to refer to her as a "child".
Old 18th October 2020, 05:22 PM   #2036
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Since when has childish behavior adhered to some sort of legal age rule?
Old 19th October 2020, 08:18 AM   #2037
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Why do you ask?
Old 19th October 2020, 08:37 AM   #2038
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Just want to point out. In less than three months you will no longer be able to refer to her as a "child".
Neither language, nor maturity, nor custom, work like that.

Nor will the occasion of her 18th birthday retroactively undo the involvement of adults in her activism over the past several years.

But.

I've never seen "age of maturity" thresholds as actually signifying some quantum leap forward in experience and capability. Ideally you want an eighteen year-old to have already internalized the appropriate lessons of maturity some years before. You put the threshold at 18 to give the late bloomers a chance to catch up before burdening them with more adulthood. On that basis, I'm content to say that however she'll be three months from now, it's how she's already been for the past two or three years. Unless her maturation process has been significantly retarded in some way. But I have no way of knowing, and assume that's not the case.

Anyway, I'd say she was definitely a child when her activist career started, and she received a lot of support and encouragement from the adults around her. And from politicians and other activists who exploited her. While she was a child. Hopefully as she continues to mature and gain experience in the world, she'll become more and more an agent of her own destiny, and a peer of the other adults involved in her work.
Old 19th October 2020, 04:16 PM   #2039
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Neither language, nor maturity, nor custom, work like that.
I refer my honourable colleague to earlier in the thread, where several posters were arguing vehemently that the law does work exactly like that.

On 3 January 2021, Greta Thunberg becomes legally an adult and it is no longer correct to refer to her as a child.

I will grant that technically, you could refer to things that she did while she was a child. But I still feel that the word "child" refers to people under the age of 13, and between 13 and 18 you are not a child but a teenager. Greta did her first strike when she was 15 and definitely a teenager.
Old 19th October 2020, 05:19 PM   #2040
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I refer my honourable colleague to earlier in the thread, where several posters were arguing vehemently that the law does work exactly like that.

On 3 January 2021, Greta Thunberg becomes legally an adult and it is no longer correct to refer to her as a child.
LOL.

Quote:
I will grant that technically, you could refer to things that she did while she was a child. But I still feel that the word "child" refers to people under the age of 13, and between 13 and 18 you are not a child but a teenager. Greta did her first strike when she was 15 and definitely a teenager.
Whereas I see "teenager" as a subset of "child". And I see people getting into childish shenanigans well into their 20s.

Anyway, the upshot, for me, is this: Up until very recently, her activism has seemed relatively simplistic and immature. It has depended in large part on the support and enablement of the adults around her, and the adults celebrating her in various ways. There's been a lot of enthusiasm, and idealism, and the kind of righteous anger we often find in teenagers. But not a lot of the experience and wisdom we'd expect from someone with many years of adulthood behind them.

That's not going to change in three months, no matter what we do or do not call her, in the eyes of the law or in any other eyes.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events