ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 22nd July 2020, 01:47 AM   #361
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

David Lammy is not happy: https://twitter.com/brexit_sham/stat...339958272?s=20

Quote:
Every word of this is the truth...
Video embedded in tweet.
Old 22nd July 2020, 01:56 AM   #362
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

And here's a test; which of today's papers have this as front page news?

Here's the front pages

Those with it as the main headline:

Metro, Financial Times, Daily Mail1, i, The Guardian, Daily Express2.

Those who have something related:

The Times, going with Boris giving M15 new powers to tackle Russian interference.

Those who don't mention it at all:

Daily Telegraph3, Daily Star, Daily Mirror4

Not featured on that page:

The Sun (although a quick perusal of the front page of their website sees that story nowhere to be found).

1Although they appear to be downplaying the government's complicity

2Although their take is to have Boris' denial be the headline and story

3There's a teeny-tiny story down at the bottom of the page

4Puzzling, given they're the only left-wing tabloid
Old 22nd July 2020, 02:02 AM   #363
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
David Lammy is not happy: https://twitter.com/brexit_sham/stat...339958272?s=20

Video embedded in tweet.
I certainly agree with him but then again, as a Remoaner, I would.

The trouble is that, thanks to the British electorate, the Conservatives have a thumping majority and a clear mandate to implement whatever kind of Brexit they see fit. Given that they seem hell-bent on a no-deal Brexit, with all that entails, then that's what we'll get.

Repeated votes to strike down food standards, employment rights and NHS protection in light of demands from the US for their trade deal show the clear direction of travel for the government post-Brexit despite all their manifesto assurances.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 02:29 AM   #364
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Well, about that US-UK trade deal:

"The UK government has abandoned hopes of reaching a trade deal with America ahead of the US presidential election in November, with British officials blaming the Covid-19 pandemic for slow progress."

https://www.ft.com/content/383f174e-...3-d2b5f6453fd4
Old 22nd July 2020, 02:54 AM   #365
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Well, about that US-UK trade deal:

"The UK government has abandoned hopes of reaching a trade deal with America ahead of the US presidential election in November, with British officials blaming the Covid-19 pandemic for slow progress."

https://www.ft.com/content/383f174e-...3-d2b5f6453fd4
I didn't even know one was possible. I had assumed something early in 2021 after crashing out with no-deal and by that I mean simply accepting any or all US terms to secure said deal.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 03:00 AM   #366
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I didn't even know one was possible. I had assumed something early in 2021 after crashing out with no-deal and by that I mean simply accepting any or all US terms to secure said deal.
I had assumed something similar. Perhaps briefing the press that they cannot achieve what no sane person imagined they could achieve is not aimed at sane people. It might be managing the expectations of the people who demanded to know in late 2016 "why haven't we left yet".
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 03:00 AM   #367
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I certainly agree with him but then again, as a Remoaner, I would.

The trouble is that, thanks to the British electorate, the Conservatives have a thumping majority and a clear mandate to implement whatever kind of Brexit they see fit. Given that they seem hell-bent on a no-deal Brexit, with all that entails, then that's what we'll get.

Repeated votes to strike down food standards, employment rights and NHS protection in light of demands from the US for their trade deal show the clear direction of travel for the government post-Brexit despite all their manifesto assurances.
If only someone had said something at the time, eh?
Old 22nd July 2020, 03:07 AM   #368
Wudang
BOFH

From February 2016 https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/c...-a3189151.html

Quote:
the words of a leading American trade negotiator discussing the slow progress being made on a trade deal between the US and the EU. It was taking time, he said, because the US was having to learn how to deal with an adversary who was an equal. This was in stark contrast with the way the US deals with individual countries. “Normally we just fax them our terms and tell them to sign.”
Old 22nd July 2020, 03:52 AM   #369
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

My understanding is that the UK can negotiate trade deals now, but that these deals can come into force only in 2021.

The UK government and the Trump administration had made a lot of noises that a deal would easily be reached by this summer, quod non apparently.

Quote:
The UK has left the EU. We are now able to negotiate, sign and ratify new trade agreements. These can come into force after 31 December 2020.

The UK’s priority is to launch negotiations with the EU, the US, Australia, New Zealand and Japan.

The government is continuing its programme of work to reproduce effects of existing EU trade agreements. It is also considering joining the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP).

https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...%20and%20Japan.

Last edited by Firestone; 22nd July 2020 at 03:54 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 09:36 AM   #370
Wudang
BOFH

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-joh...dling-11390068

Quote:
Boris Johnson's dad wants Brexit re-run over 'obvious' Russia meddling
Old 22nd July 2020, 10:37 AM   #371
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Pah, as Grant Shapps pointed out on R4 this morning'-
The Government has seen no evidence of Russian meddling.

Almost as if he hadn't read the report to work out why that might be.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 10:43 AM   #372
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Pah, as Grant Shapps pointed out on R4 this morning'-
The Government has seen no evidence of Russian meddling.

Almost as if he hadn't read the report to work out why that might be.
"Ships? I see no ships!"
Old 22nd July 2020, 04:57 PM   #373
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Top Civil Servant in BEIS warned that the "unusual" purchase of a stake in bankrupt space operator OneWeb - heavily pushed by Dominic Cummings - could end up with taxpayers losing the entire $500m

Downing Street pushed ahead with an investment in a bankrupt satellite operator as part of its post-Brexit independent space strategy despite a warning the “unusual” deal could see taxpayers losing the entire $500m with “no wider benefits accrued”.

https://www.ft.com/content/d0721bad-...c-b11500f6bb6a
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 10:24 PM   #374
gypsyjackson
Muse

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Those who don't mention it at all:

Daily Telegraph3, Daily Star, Daily Mirror4

4Puzzling, given they're the only left-wing tabloid
Isn’t the Mirror now part of the Reach group, in with the Express and the Star, these days?

So while it still maintains a broadly left-wing editorial line, perhaps it’s been told not to write on this.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 12:01 AM   #375
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
Isn’t the Mirror now part of the Reach group, in with the Express and the Star, these days?

So while it still maintains a broadly left-wing editorial line, perhaps it’s been told not to write on this.
I'd be surprised, not least because Reach originated from Trinity Mirror. If there was editorial interference then I'd expect it to be the other way, with the Express being asked to be a touch less right wing. I see no evidence of that.
Old 23rd July 2020, 12:04 AM   #376
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Top Civil Servant in BEIS warned that the "unusual" purchase of a stake in bankrupt space operator OneWeb - heavily pushed by Dominic Cummings - could end up with taxpayers losing the entire $500m

Downing Street pushed ahead with an investment in a bankrupt satellite operator as part of its post-Brexit independent space strategy despite a warning the “unusual” deal could see taxpayers losing the entire $500m with “no wider benefits accrued”.

The bad news is that the deal could see the UK taxpayer losing at least $500m - after all we're likely to plough more money in to pay for some satellites which will never appear or never work properly.

The "good" news is that even if the losses run into billions, they'll just be a rounding error in the much broader economic damage brought on by Brexit and by this government's scandalous mishandling of Covid-19.
Old 23rd July 2020, 03:01 AM   #377
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Boris has announced via official written statement (numberHCWS417) that responsibility for the Govt use of data has transferred from the Department for Digital Culture Media and Sport directly to the Cabinet Office.
This is to ensure that data is used most effectively by the Govt.

That's nice,
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 03:05 AM   #378
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Boris has announced via official written statement (numberHCWS417) that responsibility for the Govt use of data has transferred from the Department for Digital Culture Media and Sport directly to the Cabinet Office.

That's nice,
Sounds like they've worked out the problem they are concerned about is the numbers....
Old 23rd July 2020, 05:43 AM   #379
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like the UK's Brexit negotiators are doing their job - if their job is to ensure a no-deal Brexit.

Quote:
The UK and EU have said they still remain some way off reaching a post-Brexit trade agreement, following the latest negotiations in London.

UK chief negotiator David Frost said there were "considerable gaps" in the most difficult areas, but a deal could still be reached in September.

His EU counterpart Michel Barnier said both sides were still "far away" and time was running out for negotiations.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53513612

Obviously both sides will want to put their own spin on how negotiations are going and each side will want to be cagey about what they're willing to negotiate on and how far they're prepared to move but I tend to agree with the EU's assessment:

Quote:
Speaking after the talks, Mr Barnier said a deal was "at this point unlikely" unless the UK changed its stance over fisheries and post-Brexit rules on competition.

He said the UK had not shown a "willingness to break the deadlock" in these areas, and the "time for answers is quickly running out".

He told reporters there was a risk of no deal being reached unless the UK changed course on the topics, which were "at the heart" of the EU's trade interests.

He added that an agreement would be needed by October "at the latest" so it could be ratified before the current post-Brexit transition period ends in December
I thought Boris Johnson said that there was an "oven ready" deal - maybe he was just lying, again.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top...deal-1-6689014
Old 23rd July 2020, 05:44 AM   #380
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Sounds like they've worked out the problem they are concerned about is the numbers....
Yes, and the numbers following a no-deal Brexit are going to be frightening so much better to keep a lid on things.
Old 23rd July 2020, 07:12 AM   #381
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I thought Boris Johnson said that there was an "oven ready" deal - maybe he was just lying, again.
Oh there was. It was a fantastic deal, remember? Then he realised that it was a terrible deal, after all, and fired the person who said it was a fantastic deal. One *checks notes* B. Johnson. No relation, I'm sure.
Old 23rd July 2020, 08:40 AM   #382
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

That's nice,
As I said in the Covid thread

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Government by 'making whatever a minister/PM Cummings was caught doing yesterday legal'

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills

Last edited by zooterkin; 23rd July 2020 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Fixing broken quote tag
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 10:29 AM   #383
Garrison
Philosopher

The satellites are made in Florida, the rockets launching them are European/Russian and the main rival to OneWeb is Starlink, which is owned by SpaceX which means their launch costs are a fraction of OneWeb's and their launch cadence is far higher than OneWeb can even dream of.

The government basically just 500 million down the drain.
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:07 PM   #384
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Scott Manley discusses OneWeb:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:40 PM   #385
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
The satellites are made in Florida, the rockets launching them are European/Russian and the main rival to OneWeb is Starlink, which is owned by SpaceX which means their launch costs are a fraction of OneWeb's and their launch cadence is far higher than OneWeb can even dream of.

The government basically just 500 million down the drain.
Also they're useless for satellite navigation.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 04:20 PM   #386
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently the U.K. could require foreign states to name their spies operating in the country on a government register
https://trib.al/KmU2lLz

Meanwhile Priti Patel says all burglars must wear striped tops and masks carrying a bag marked “swag”
Old 23rd July 2020, 05:44 PM   #387
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

A reminder from our government.
Being in a strong union with Scotland, working together, having no trade barriers makes us mighty!
Being in a strong union with the EU, working together, having no trade barriers is undemocratic, why do you hate your country, take back control!
Old 23rd July 2020, 08:30 PM   #388
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

A reminder from our government.
Being in a strong union with Scotland, working together, having no trade barriers makes us mighty!
Being in a strong union with the EU, working together, having no trade barriers is undemocratic, why do you hate your country, take back control!
But them furriners talk funny! And have funny names!
Old 24th July 2020, 12:44 AM   #389
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Yeah, Sturgeon definitely a foreign name!
Old 24th July 2020, 12:51 AM   #390
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Yeah, Sturgeon definitely a foreign name!
When negotiations seem stuck on fishing rights I think we at least need to consider whether she's an agent for the Fish People. Alec Salmond just put that "d" on the end as a disguise.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 12:54 AM   #391
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Scott Manley discusses OneWeb:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Oops, it's almost as if they didn't understand that the technology is likely incompatible with their intended usage.
Old 24th July 2020, 02:47 AM   #392
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Apparently the U.K. could require foreign states to name their spies operating in the country on a government register
https://trib.al/KmU2lLz

Meanwhile Priti Patel says all burglars must wear striped tops and masks carrying a bag marked “swag”
This proposed law is being misrepresented so badly I'm starting to think it's deliberate. What's proposed is similar to the US FARA Act (under which General Flynn was recently convicted), our anti-espionage laws date back to the First World War and are overdue a revision, in this case there are two key points I'm aware of, firstly it would mean that MPs, Lords and lobbiests who are receiving legal money from foreign governments or closely associated businesses would have to declare it, so hypothetically if a hypothetical businessman, we'll call him "Baron Hanks" was to record donations to political causes and it should be obvious where it's coming from, and if it isn't there will be stronger grounds on which to investgate. The second is that under the current law we're unusual in that (as I understand it) you have to be convicted of a specific act of spying rather than just being a spy, so if you're an undisclosed recipient of money from a foreign power and have access to sensitive information you're currently relatively safe if you can't be proven to have actually passed any information, under the new law if you have access to such information and receive payments from a foreign power without registering it, that is a crime in itself.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 02:50 AM   #393
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
When negotiations seem stuck on fishing rights I think we at least need to consider whether she's an agent for the Fish People. Alec Salmond just put that "d" on the end as a disguise.
And the Tory's have been infiltrated by James Goldfish! At least he never made Major of London.

I for one welcome our Piscine Overlords.

Old 24th July 2020, 03:53 AM   #394
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

And the Tory's have been infiltrated by James Goldfish! At least he never made Major of London.

They also have Stephen Crabb, Marcus Fysh and Alistair Jack, while Labour have Luke Pollard. Lib Dems have Christine Jardine which all seems very normal but I begin to suspect she substituted the J for an S.

It's like the invasion of the body snatchers when you start looking for these fish-people.
Old 24th July 2020, 05:32 AM   #395
catsmate
No longer the 1

I have a large striped shoulder bag with "swag" on it. It was a show freebie...

Like Hamish MacGillicuddy? Or Piri Patel?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 05:37 AM   #396
catsmate
No longer the 1

Glad to hear it. The Benthic Treaties are up for renewal and the Zygon Question needs to be addressed in a bilateral manner.
Old 24th July 2020, 06:44 AM   #397
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

U.K. Plans Truck Stop by White Cliffs of Dover After Brexit

Quote:
A field inland from the White Cliffs of Dover, a totem of English identity, is one of four sites the U.K. has earmarked for conversion into lorry parks for customs checks after Brexit, according to a person familiar with the plans.

The site next to the White Cliffs Business Park, less than a 10-minute drive from the coast, will have capacity for 1,200 trucks, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the plans aren’t complete.
There'll be trucks all over ...
Old 24th July 2020, 07:09 AM   #398
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
How about

"There'll be be be blue clouds (of diesel) over
The white cliffs of Dover"

?

Old 24th July 2020, 08:57 AM   #399
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I thought you guys called them "lorries"!
Old 24th July 2020, 11:23 AM   #400
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I thought you guys called them "lorries"!
We do (trucks is a more general term that includes smaller goods vehicles) but we still say 'Truck Stop' as well as 'Lorry Park'

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics