IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags protest incidents , protest issues , Seattle incidents

Old 10th January 2021, 10:46 AM   #2361
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Rioting is wrong. Protesting and demonstrating is fine for whatever cause you support.
Wasn't the USA created by riots or even worse violence?
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 12:18 PM   #2362
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Yes, this thing is bad. But other things are also bad and all bad things are the same.

Look at me, I’m a Republican! Wheeee!!!
Not just a Republican but a Trump supporter; some Republicans have opposed him from the start. Powell comes to mind.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 12:19 PM   #2363
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
There was a lot of rioting and terrorism before the revolution; the Sons of Liberty certainly qualify as a terrorist group.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 02:34 PM   #2364
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Not just a Republican but a Trump supporter; some Republicans have opposed him from the start. Powell comes to mind.
Powell,was apparently just on CNN saying he no longer considers himself a Republican.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 02:46 PM   #2365
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
1) it was very different times
2) it was illegal
3) the result is USA of Donal Trump, so it was possibly bad idea from the start
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 08:10 PM   #2366
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Powell,was apparently just on CNN saying he no longer considers himself a Republican.
Well, he could apply for RINO status.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 08:27 AM   #2367
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I get what you are saying, but disagreed. A street protest is one thing, and done by both sides. Jan 6th was an attack on an electoral count in progress in our very seat of Democracy. Antifa, BLM, and others did not smash through the White House's windows, kill a Secret Service agent by smashing a fire extinguisher on his head, and put their feet up on the desk in the Oval Office. This was different than street demonstrations.
Obvious question: Would Antifa have done that if they could have? I know that some here think I'm minimalizing the riot at the capitol, but from my standpoint, comparing the Trump loonies to the antifa-tards is caustic criticism.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 09:30 AM   #2368
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Give us one example of BLM or Antfa storming an occupied building looking for people to attack.
How many gallows have BLM/Antifa erected?
Old 11th January 2021, 09:35 AM   #2369
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Obvious question: Would Antifa have done that if they could have?
Nope.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 10:34 AM   #2370
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Give us one example of BLM or Antfa storming an occupied building looking for people to attack.
How many gallows have BLM/Antifa erected?
https://nypost.com/2020/08/24/blm-pr...ation-on-fire/

You don't need to go in and storm a building looking to attack people, if you just burn them all alive.

No gallows, but does a guillotine count?
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 12:01 PM   #2371
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Deleted. other thread
Old 11th January 2021, 12:26 PM   #2372
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Powell hasn't endorsed a single Republican candidate in well over a decade. He hasn't been a Republican in a very long time. The only news is that he finally stopped pretending, but everyone already knew.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 04:25 PM   #2373
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Obvious question: Would Antifa have done that if they could have? I know that some here think I'm minimalizing the riot at the capitol, but from my standpoint, comparing the Trump loonies to the antifa-tards is caustic criticism.
Wow, the level of discourse from conservatives has gotten embarrassingly bad.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 04:25 PM   #2374
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post

You don't need to go in and storm a building looking to attack people, if you just burn them all alive.

So “none” then, thanks.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 05:09 PM   #2375
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Whether they 'would have' or not is rather moot, is it not? Right-wing extremists went to a Trump rally at the White House and were then sent to the Capitol to interrupt a session of the Legislative branch of the United States Government, which they did, smashing their way in places and being invited in others. It was done. There was no 'might' or 'maybe they will' about it.

There have been BLM protests there already. That opportunity has already been presented, with no attempt made to assault the government (and accompanied by an actual police presence, unlike the ralliot) that also didn't harm any officers. Also unlike the ralliot.
Old 11th January 2021, 06:07 PM   #2376
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Powell hasn't endorsed a single Republican candidate in well over a decade. He hasn't been a Republican in a very long time. The only news is that he finally stopped pretending, but everyone already knew.
Good for him.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 06:05 AM   #2377
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

LAPD puts out APB for alleged hate crime assault of a black woman at a Trump protest. This is 5 days after the fact and only after public scrutiny.

The victim was attacked in plain view of the many police who were on the scene. The victim showed cell-phone video of the assault to the commanding officer on the scene and pointed her attackers out in the crowd, but the police refused to make an arrest.

Now they're trying to ID the unknown assailants that they let walk away from the crime scene.

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status...21815695601665

Quote:
Nibo told BuzzFeed News she feared the mob would beat her to death. She did not respond to our calls seeking comment.

Natalicchio said a number of LAPD officers who were stationed across the street did not intervene.
https://laist.com/latest/post/202101...black-woman-la

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 12th January 2021 at 06:14 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 06:10 AM   #2378
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I don't blame him.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 06:15 AM   #2379
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
LAPD puts out APB for alleged hate crime assault of a black woman at a Trump protest. This is 5 days after the fact and only after public scrutiny.

The victim was attacked in plain view of the many police who were on the scene. The victim showed cell-phone video of the assault to the commanding officer on the scene and pointed her attackers out in the crowd, but the police refused to make an arrest.

Now they're trying to ID the unknown assailants that they let walk away from the crime scene.

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status...21815695601665
I watched the video of that* and (prepares to be beaten down) she didn't seem completely innocent...Before you all start, I am absolutely not condoning what happened, it was shocking and hopefully my posting history shows which 'side' I'm on...it was just it was portrayed as innocent person walking home from work but (accepting I may have misunderstood) it looked like she was in their faces, videoing them before it all kicked off. Doesn't excuse it, throw the book at them (including the police who did bugger all) etc, etc and happy to be corrected on context - it just didn't look quite as portrayed (but still shocking).

* I am assuming this is the one I'd seen previously and very happy to be corrected on that or the context.

Last edited by Ethan Thane Athen; 12th January 2021 at 06:17 AM.
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 06:26 AM   #2380
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
I watched the video of that* and (prepares to be beaten down) she didn't seem completely innocent...Before you all start, I am absolutely not condoning what happened, it was shocking and hopefully my posting history shows which 'side' I'm on...it was just it was portrayed as innocent person walking home from work but (accepting I may have misunderstood) it looked like she was in their faces, videoing them before it all kicked off. Doesn't excuse it, throw the book at them (including the police who did bugger all) etc, etc and happy to be corrected on context - it just didn't look quite as portrayed (but still shocking).

* I am assuming this is the one I'd seen previously and very happy to be corrected on that or the context.
Here's the video.

The mob of CHUDs follow her down the sidewalk, surround her, jeer, then beat her.

Pulling out a video recorder when being menaced on the public sidewalk is not an unusual response, nor is it provocation in any sense.

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status...19168825167872

https://twitter.com/i/status/1347619168825167872

It's hard to keep things straight because the crowd uses similar tactics, and many of the same people also menaced another black woman, caught on video, in a very similar way. There are numerous examples of the fascists here committing assaults on counterprotestors without response from the police.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 12th January 2021 at 06:35 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 04:35 PM   #2381
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I don't see why they would. Antifa is not political. They are anti-fascist. When fascists hit the street, antifa hits the fascists. As far as I can tell, they have no political objectives beyond 6that.

Or do you mean the summer rioters? Some antifa would be in there too, what with the whole cops-killing-people thing being kinda fascist. But not as antifa, if you take my meaning. Just as protesters with an intersectional target.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 09:03 AM   #2382
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post

Have you a reputable source for that?
Old 13th January 2021, 09:04 AM   #2383
catsmate
No longer the 1

It's good to know that Republicanism is curable.

BTW welcome back, we thought you were dead or in jail given your uncharacteristic absence.
Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM   #2384
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

He didn't move away from the Republican party, the Republican party moved away from him.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #2385
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
There have been BLM protests there already. That opportunity has already been presented, with no attempt made to assault the government (and accompanied by an actual police presence, unlike the ralliot) that also didn't harm any officers. Also unlike the ralliot.
How about the 50+ secret service agents who were injured during the antifa/BLM riots at the White House this summer. The same riots that involved multiple fires, Molotov cocktails, fireworks, bricks and glass bottles that were used against law enforcement? I seem to recall one of those involving the Secret Service forcing the president into an underground bunker at the White House to which members on this board celebrated. Or do those riots not count for reasons?

Last edited by Bogative; Yesterday at 06:58 PM.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events