ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th October 2020, 02:12 AM   #321
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Such a stupid question but to answer you, if an atheist teaching at the school made the same facebook posts as she did then I suspect that the school would respond in the same way - sack her.

She wasn't sacked for simply being a Christian but because she criticized a government educational policy.
So you agree that there was no religious discrimination here?

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 02:14 AM   #322
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Now you're just making up new definitions to suit your argument.
I know the difference between the terms "lawful" and "legal" but feel free to quote a reference that says there is no difference.

So you agree that there was no religious discrimination here?
Did I say there was?
Old 14th October 2020, 02:15 AM   #323
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

She wasn't sacked for simply being a Christian but because she criticized a government educational policy.
Is it your view then that had she criticised class sizes, how maths is taught or the presence of French on the curriculum that she would also have been sacked?
Old 14th October 2020, 02:17 AM   #324
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Did I say there was?
You said that it was now official that Christian beliefs are homophobic and transphobic and must be outlawed, so yes, you did.
Old 14th October 2020, 02:22 AM   #325
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I know the difference between the terms "lawful" and "legal" but feel free to quote a reference that says there is no difference.
How about you post a source that explains how not going to work is unlawful?

Did I say there was?
It's official - Christian beliefs are "homophobic and transphobic" and must be outlawed.
Now, I'm sure you can come up with some sophistry that allows you to insert a fag paper between that statement and an accusation of religious discrimination, but do you really think anyone will believe it?

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 02:24 AM   #326
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
You said that it was now official that Christian beliefs are homophobic and transphobic and must be outlawed, so yes, you did.
That's not religious discrimination.

One can still (presumably) call themself a Christian or go to church without being persecuted. But dare to mention the biblical view point on homosexuality and suddenly you are "homophobic" and must be punished.

Last edited by psionl0; 14th October 2020 at 02:26 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 02:28 AM   #327
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Did I say there was?
Yes. You did

It's official - Christian beliefs are "homophobic and transphobic" and must be outlawed.
If you can be sacked for expressing biblically based views then you are being punished for your views and that makes your views unlawful.
This has gone well beyond practising discrimination. It is now becoming unlawful to express biblical views if they are politically incorrect.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 02:28 AM   #328
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Now, I'm sure you can come up with some sophistry that allows you to insert a fag paper between that statement and an accusation of religious discrimination, but do you really think anyone will believe it?
LOL Do you really think that you can poison the well that easily?
Old 14th October 2020, 02:28 AM   #329
RedStapler

One can still (presumably) call themself a Christian or go to church without being persecuted. But dare to mention the biblical view point on homosexuality and suddenly you are "homophobic" and must be punished.
Welcome to reality, where most people are against homophobic bs. Why aren't you?
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 02:32 AM   #330
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
I've tried similar lines before. The retort I got back was God is infallible. He gave man free will. It is man who has used this free will to corrupt the world.
That was a mistake, right there!

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 02:33 AM   #331
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I saw what you did there!

Old 14th October 2020, 02:49 AM   #332
Aber
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Again, with more detail, I ask the question, "would an Atheist teaching at a school who expressed the same homophobic and transphobic views that Higgs expressed, be dismissed for doing so?"
Based on the tribunal judgement:

Yes, the school would dismiss them, and the school would have been judged to have unfairly dismissed them.
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 03:00 AM   #333
Dave Rogers

There you have it, folks. An official policy that religious beliefs must be outlawed is not, by psionl0's definition, religious discrimination. It seems like the only aim here is to avoid losing an argument by denying any possible position, thus making the argument impossible to refute due to its complete absence of content.

Dave

- Myriad
Old 14th October 2020, 03:01 AM   #334
RedStapler

It seems like the only aim here is to avoid losing an argument by denying any possible position, thus making the argument impossible to refute due to its complete absence of content.

Dave
So, business as usual...
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 03:05 AM   #335
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Yes it is.

Quote:
Then it's not Christian beliefs that are outlawed but at best homophobic and transphobic views.

And in actual fact, as pointed out previously, Christian beliefs are actually protected in law to a far greater extent than non-religious expressions of the same views.
Old 14th October 2020, 03:14 AM   #336
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

There you have it, folks. An official policy that religious beliefs must be outlawed is not, by psionl0's definition, religious discrimination. It seems like the only aim here is to avoid losing an argument by denying any possible position, thus making the argument impossible to refute due to its complete absence of content.
If you didn't delete the word "expressing" from my argument then this wouldn't make sense.
Old 14th October 2020, 03:16 AM   #337
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Yes it is.
No it isn't.

Then it's not Christian beliefs that are outlawed but at best homophobic and transphobic views.
No, it is quoting the bible that has effectively been outlawed.
Old 14th October 2020, 03:21 AM   #338
Dave Rogers

If you didn't delete the word "expressing" from my argument then this wouldn't make sense.
Having a bit of a problem finding the word "expressing" here. Perhaps you left it under the sofa cushions.

Dave

- Myriad
Old 14th October 2020, 03:21 AM   #339
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
This might be a distinction with differences, but they are minor and inconsequential. Any way you slice it, she was arguing that she lost her job because she expressed her religious beliefs on LGBTQ+.
They really aren't.

Being sacked for your religious/philosophical beliefs (beliefs as laid out in the equalities act) is illegal in UK domestic law and also at the level of the ECHR.

And the CLC knows this to be the case. So how do they try and gain support for their wanting the country to be controlled by their interpretation of Christianity? They go after cases like this one, when you look at their agenda you'll see it is not about being honest but being able to spin cases to build support for their paranoid beliefs.

Given the poor reporting on this case I can well imagine folk who have a casual interest would read it and think that a Christian has been "unfairly" discriminated against because of her religious beliefs.

What they hoped to do with this case is what they have done, which is to create an "impression" that she was discriminated against because of her "Christian" beliefs.

That's why it is important to be careful and stick to the actual facts, not the spin that the CLC is applying to it.
Old 14th October 2020, 03:24 AM   #340
RedStapler

Nope, it's stating homophobic views that have been outlawed. Long ago. You lost again. Don't you get tired of lying and falsely accusing others of deleting words from your quoted posts?

Last edited by RedStapler; 14th October 2020 at 03:26 AM.
Old 14th October 2020, 03:26 AM   #341
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Is it your view then that had she criticised class sizes, how maths is taught or the presence of French on the curriculum that she would also have been sacked?
Did you miss the mass arrest and imprisonment of the entire membership of the National Union of Teachers last year when they passed a few motions criticising the government's policies?

And the recent deportation to the gulags of all the thousands of teachers criticizing the governments' policies on schools reopening after the (first) pandemic lockdown?

Last edited by Darat; 14th October 2020 at 03:33 AM. Reason: It's a bit passe but needed a d
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 03:27 AM   #342
RedStapler

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Did you miss the mass arrest and imprisonment of the entire membership of the National Union of Teachers last year when they passe a few motions criticising the government's policies?

And the recent deportation to the gulags of all the thousands of teachers criticizing the governments' policies on schools reopening after the (first) pandemic lockdown?
All these good people we lost So many schools unable to function because most of the teachers were sent to Siberia by the SJWPC moralists.

Last edited by RedStapler; 14th October 2020 at 03:29 AM.
Old 14th October 2020, 03:30 AM   #343
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
Based on the tribunal judgement:

Yes, the school would dismiss them, and the school would have been judged to have unfairly dismissed them.
That's not clear cut, although atheism can fall under the equalities act's definition of beliefs I doubt someone would be able to claim that those beliefs were part and parcel of their "philosophical beliefs" and therefore are protected from discrimination in employment.
Old 14th October 2020, 03:32 AM   #344
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

No it isn't.

Can you point me to the scripture quotes that mention trans people?
Old 14th October 2020, 03:35 AM   #345
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Having a bit of a problem finding the word "expressing" here. Perhaps you left it under the sofa cushions.

Found it for you.
If you can be sacked for expressing biblically based views then you are being punished for your views and that makes your views unlawful.
This has gone well beyond practising discrimination. It is now becoming unlawful to express biblical views if they are politically incorrect.
Old 14th October 2020, 03:37 AM   #346
Dave Rogers

Found it for you.
Neither of which makes your statement that 'It's official - Christian beliefs are "homophobic and transphobic" and must be outlawed' go away. Would you like to retract it, or are you simply planning to keep on pretending that you never said it?

Dave

- Myriad
Old 14th October 2020, 03:38 AM   #347
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Can you point me to the scripture quotes that mention trans people?
I find it difficult to believe that after all these years in the Religious section you haven't seen anybody put up quotes from the bible that prohibit homosexuality or men wearing womens' clothing.
Old 14th October 2020, 03:40 AM   #348
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Neither of which makes your statement that 'It's official - Christian beliefs are "homophobic and transphobic" and must be outlawed' go away. Would you like to retract it, or are you simply planning to keep on pretending that you never said it?
I know that you would prefer it to mean that I am saying that even if you secretly believe biblical teachings then you have committed a crime but I am not going to indulge you.
Old 14th October 2020, 03:46 AM   #349
Dave Rogers

I know that you would prefer it to mean that I am saying that even if you secretly believe biblical teachings then you have committed a crime but I am not going to indulge you.
I see, so you're saying that secret beliefs are not beliefs, and when you say 'Christian beliefs are "homophobic and transphobic" and must be outlawed' you're not using 'beliefs' to mean 'things that people believe' but 'things that people say'. Well, that's perfectly clear.

Dave

- Myriad
Old 14th October 2020, 03:48 AM   #350
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I find it difficult to believe that after all these years in the Religious section you haven't seen anybody put up quotes from the bible that prohibit homosexuality or men wearing womens' clothing.
As I thought no quotes about trans people.
Old 14th October 2020, 03:56 AM   #351
RedStapler

You could of course just show us these quotes.
Old 14th October 2020, 04:16 AM   #352
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

No it isn't.
yes, it is.

Quote:
How have you concluded that given that a) she didn't quote the bible b) it isn't outlawed?
Old 14th October 2020, 04:19 AM   #353
Dave Rogers

How have you concluded that given that a) she didn't quote the bible b) it isn't outlawed?
I suspect psionl0's definitions of the words 'quoting' and 'outlawed' are as unconventional as psionl0's definition of the word 'belief'.

Dave

- Myriad
Old 14th October 2020, 04:26 AM   #354
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I see, so you're saying that secret beliefs are not beliefs, and when you say 'Christian beliefs are "homophobic and transphobic" and must be outlawed' you're not using 'beliefs' to mean 'things that people believe' but 'things that people say'. Well, that's perfectly clear.
Fail.
Old 14th October 2020, 04:28 AM   #355
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

As I thought no quotes about trans people.
OK, no quotes about sex change operations nor identifying as the opposite sex. Did I fall into your trap?
Old 14th October 2020, 04:30 AM   #356
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

yes, it is.
No it isn't - times infinity.

Read the facebook quotes for yourself.
Old 14th October 2020, 06:15 AM   #357
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

No it isn't - times infinity.

Read the facebook quotes for yourself.
She didn't post any Bible quotes and it's not outlawed to quote the Bible since ministers and priests do it here every Sunday.

Of course, your respond doesn't answer the question. So no amount of reading her posts will tell me how YOU concluded something

You sir are talking through a hole in your head.
Old 14th October 2020, 07:07 AM   #358
RolandRat
Muse

Does the church she belongs to still teach the homophobic views?
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 07:43 AM   #359
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

She didn't post any Bible quotes.
If you want to be precisely technical about it, she didn't quote any chapter and verse from the bible. she pointed out in the facebook post that as a result of the proposed relationship education, "expressing and teaching fundamental Christian beliefs would in practice be forbidden".

In the Guardian article, she is quoted as saying “As a Christian, I believe it is morally necessary to speak out in defence of the Bible truth when false and harmful doctrines are being promoted".
Old 14th October 2020, 07:49 AM   #360
Dave Rogers

If you want to be precisely technical about it,

You're denying half the things you said, making up new definitions whenever you realise something you said didn't make sense, and refusing to acknowledge you're arguing things happened that didn't, and when you get called on it suddenly it's everybody else's fault for being too pedantic. You've painted yourself into a corner, and now you're blaming the architect for putting the door in the wrong place.

Dave

- Myriad

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy