ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th October 2020, 04:20 PM   #81
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Liberate Michigan! -DJT
Step back and stand By! -DJT
Peaceful transfer of power? "We'll see". -DJT
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 04:21 PM   #82
jerrywayne
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Voting Trump out will fuel the militia movement....

This doesn't mean we shouldn't vote the MF out.
A Biden win shouldn't set fire to militias since it would be legitimate (unless Trump manages to convince them otherwise). On the other hand, Dems talking about the 25th Amendment stokes the fire because it would be viewed as a naked coup. Any 25th Amendment remedy would have to come initially from Republicans, and that ain't going to happen. (Although, I don't know if anyone is paying attention, but Trump is acting especially erratic right now, with talk of cancelling stimulus, then offering stimulus, talk of bringing the troops home from Afghanistan before Christmas, to the surprise of Pentagon brass and the delight of the Taliban, talk of cancelling the next debate, etc.).
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 05:44 PM   #83
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
A Biden win shouldn't set fire to militias since it would be legitimate (unless Trump manages to convince them otherwise).
Trump has ALREADY convinced them otherwise. You clearly have not been paying attention.
Old 9th October 2020, 06:31 AM   #84
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Funny, I consider "Governors" to be part of the government. Something to do with spelling, I suppose.
Funny! I know funny, too! Last time I was anywhere close to a gun-totting Yank (at a large picnic; he was only proud gunboy there, as nationwide insanity was at an ebb at the time of the Bicentennial), I made absolutely sure he thought I was his best friend at the party, if not the world, stayed by him the entire time, and had a crushing blow to his windpipe ready for split-second release. Didn't need no popgun to keep that weakling coward in check. What was he afraid off, hot dogs showing up his deep inadequacies?

One other source of entertainment was when I forced 30 uniformed Nazis back off my bus. Folks cheered back then; nowadays passengers would probably get up and knife me. Anyway, this scene is eerily reminiscent, if overboard.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 9th October 2020 at 06:36 AM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 06:41 AM   #85
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
A Biden win shouldn't set fire to militias since it would be legitimate (unless Trump manages to convince them otherwise). On the other hand, Dems talking about the 25th Amendment stokes the fire because it would be viewed as a naked coup. Any 25th Amendment remedy would have to come initially from Republicans, and that ain't going to happen. (Although, I don't know if anyone is paying attention, but Trump is acting especially erratic right now, with talk of cancelling stimulus, then offering stimulus, talk of bringing the troops home from Afghanistan before Christmas, to the surprise of Pentagon brass and the delight of the Taliban, talk of cancelling the next debate, etc.).
False equivalence out the ying-yang, bro.
Old 10th October 2020, 06:43 AM   #86
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
This kind of thing will trigger Trump even more, making him say even more unhinged things.

In other words, it's Friday in murica.
I expect that's what she has in mind. The more unhinged he becomes, the better Biden is doing in Florida, North Carolina, Ohio and Arizona. Biden's upward trajectory is averaging and .5ish points a day in Florida since Trump came back from the hospital.
Old 10th October 2020, 06:45 AM   #87
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I wonder what inspires people to try and kill her?
She tried to save lives by following medical advice during a pandemic. It seems people took offense.
Old 12th October 2020, 08:08 AM   #88
Disbelief
Master Poster

I wonder what inspires people to try and kill her?
For one of them, he grew up surrounded by the right wing ideology and a bit of a nutter for a dad. I know this, because the family lived down the street from me and my kids played with him for a short time. We said he'd be trouble and my wife said he'd end up in jail, but didn't think it would be this extreme.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2020, 12:35 PM   #89
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post
For one of them, he grew up surrounded by the right wing ideology and a bit of a nutter for a dad. I know this, because the family lived down the street from me and my kids played with him for a short time. We said he'd be trouble and my wife said he'd end up in jail, but didn't think it would be this extreme.
Trump supporters?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 05:56 AM   #90
Disbelief
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Trump supporters?
It's been a few years so I can't say conclusively Trump, but most definitely right wing.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 06:33 AM   #91
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Trump has ALREADY convinced them otherwise. You clearly have not been paying attention.
He's been strenuously preemptively sowing the idea that any Trump election loss will be the result of a left-wing conspiracy for months. It makes me wonder if it was his idea or if it originated with his hangers-on. Not that it would be a hard sell to convince him to set up a lie early so he wouldn't look so transparently like a sore loser (which, of course, he always has been) in the event of a loss. But his ability to anticipate and plan for future consequences seems to be about on par with a nine-month-old German shepherd gleefully shredding the crap out of a leather sofa while his owners are out shopping.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 04:59 PM   #92
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
He's been strenuously preemptively sowing the idea that any Trump election loss will be the result of a left-wing conspiracy for months. It makes me wonder if it was his idea or if it originated with his hangers-on. Not that it would be a hard sell to convince him to set up a lie early so he wouldn't look so transparently like a sore loser (which, of course, he always has been) in the event of a loss. But his ability to anticipate and plan for future consequences seems to be about on par with a nine-month-old German shepherd gleefully shredding the crap out of a leather sofa while his owners are out shopping.
I agree; Trump lives in the moment.

Don't remind me.

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 11:14 PM   #93
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
SO terrorism is OK if the left does it?
That seems to be the belief of a lot of people here.
Terrorism involves people being killed. It's called vandalism when there is property damage but nobody is hurt.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 11:06 AM   #94
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

More right wing terrorism.

Wichita man arrested for threatening to kidnap, kill mayor over mask mandate

Quote:
Wichita man arrested for threatening to kidnap, kill mayor over mask mandate© City of Wichita Wichita man arrested for threatening to kidnap, kill mayor over mask mandate
A 59-year-old man was arrested on Friday for allegedly threatening to kidnap and kill Wichita Mayor Brandon Whipple (D) over the city's mask mandate.

Meredith Dowty, a retired Wichita firefighter, was booked into Sedgwick County Jail on Friday with the charge of criminal threat.

Wichita Police confirmed in a statement that investigators were alerted to "threatening statements" directed at Whipple, leading to Dowty's arrest. The investigation is still ongoing.

Whipple told The Wichita Eagle that he has been made aware of text messages sent to another city official asking about the mayor's address. He said he read the detailed threat against him.

"He said he was going to kidnap me and slash my throat and he needed my address because I needed to see the hangman - me and everyone who, something about tyranny," Whipple said.

The mayor said "this wasn't just some guy popping off on social media."

"He contacted someone that knows where I live that apparently he thought would give him my address," Whipple told the outlet.

The suspect reportedly stated in the text messages that he was opposed to "masks and tyranny," according to Whipple.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...te/ar-BB1a7UE9
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 04:39 PM   #95
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

More right wing terrorism.

Wichita man arrested for threatening to kidnap, kill mayor over mask mandate

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...te/ar-BB1a7UE9
Lock him up! Lock him up!
Old 19th October 2020, 04:09 AM   #96
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Right wing extremists doing what they always do, alienating cops that might normally be their ideological allies through hare-brained plots to attack the state.

At least the cops still have the Proud Boys. All you have to do as a conservative extremist is drop all pretensions of libertarian foolishness and go full fascist and the cops will love you.
Old 23rd October 2020, 02:33 PM   #97
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Not that right wing militants infiltrated BLM protests to incite and carry out violence....
Quote:
'Boogaloo Bois' member charged in attack on Minneapolis police precinct during George Floyd protests

A self-described member of the 'Boogaloo Bois' has been charged with participating in a riot after he allegedly shot 13 rounds from an AK-47 style assault rifle into a Minneapolis Police Department building during the civil unrest following the death of George Floyd in late May.

Ivan Hunter, 26, is accused of traveling from Texas to Minneapolis to meet up with other members of the 'Boogaloo Bois' with the goal of carrying out acts of violence during the riots.
Quote:
Federal investigators said they reviewed video of Hunter firing rounds with his AK-47 style assault rifle into the Third Precinct building while looters were still inside and that he also helped assist them in setting the building on fire.

According to an FBI affidavit, after shooting into the building Hunter hi-fived another individual and while walking towards the camera yelled, "Justice for Floyd!"

The affidavit additionally states that Hunter was pinned as the shooter by an unidentified cooperating defendant.

Hunter is the third 'Boogaloo Bois' member to face federal charges for his role in the Minneapolis riots, along with Michael Solomon and Benjamin Teeter -- who were previously indicted on charges of conspiracy to provide material support for a foreign terrorist organization. All three were communicating and coordinating their movements regularly through the night of the riots, according to the FBI affidavit.

MORE: Feds charge 3 self-identified 'boogaloo' adherents plotting violence at Black Lives Matter protest

During the course of the FBI's investigation of Hunter they additionally found he was connected to Boogaloo Bois member Steven Carillo who has been separately charged in the murder of a Federal Protective Officer in Oakland, California.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics