IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , donald trump , protest incidents , Trump controversies , Washington DC incidents

Old 6th January 2021, 01:54 PM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Rioters storm and occupy the US Capitol

I thought we should have a dedicated thread for this.
Old 6th January 2021, 01:59 PM   #2
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

CNN: Multiple officers injured.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:00 PM   #3
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I am rather surprised but not shocked that there was not a more violent response. If the rioters were wearing colors other than red hats, I think there would have been.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:04 PM   #4
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Biden is speaking right now.

Trump is barely tweeting, although its probably his staff with access to his account.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:05 PM   #5
Olmstead
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I am rather surprised but not shocked that there was not a more violent response. If the rioters were wearing colors other than red hats, I think there would have been.
They're just doing what the President told them to do with the tacit approval of the Republican party, which holds a Senate majority.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:12 PM   #6
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Where are the police? Where is the National Guard? Aren't there military guards?

Why isn't someone on a huge speaker reading the riot act while police spray the crowd with tear gas and bean bags? Why weren't the first people through the door immediately tackled and arrested?

There was a larger show of force to get Trump across a street for a photo op.
Uniformed officers with long guns are in the building, looks like clearing offices.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:12 PM   #7
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Trump has taken to Twitter telling them they were robbed, just like him, but they should go home now. It's okay to be bitter, he's bitter too, but they should go home now.
Yeah, that'll do the trick.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:12 PM   #8
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's been called for Ossoff!!!
Let's hope there's still an it for Ossoff.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:13 PM   #9
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

CNN: Entire DC National Guard activated.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:13 PM   #10
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
What a weak speech. More calls for "unity".

President-Elect Biden, the time for "unity" is over. It's time to drop the hammer on Johnny Reb 2.0.
He can't do that yet.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:13 PM   #11
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I hope they don't kill anyone, I won't be surprised if they do, but I hope they do not.
I hope every terrorist is shot down like the rabid dogs they are.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:13 PM   #12
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Trump is finally speaking. He's still playing to the election conspiracy nonsense. But at least he's telling them to leave.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:14 PM   #13
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Why isn't this in politics?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:14 PM   #14
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
What a weak speech. More calls for "unity".

President-Elect Biden, the time for "unity" is over. It's time to drop the hammer on Johnny Reb 2.0.
Don't see much in the way of calls for unity here:

Quote:
President-elect Joe Biden is addressing the nation from Wilmington, Delaware, calling on the pro-Trump "mob" to "pull back and allow the work of democracy to move forward".

"It's not a protest, it's an insurrection," Biden says, asking Donald Trump to "step up", go on television and "demand an end to this siege".

"Enough is enough," he says.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:14 PM   #15
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's been called for Ossoff!!!
I know. But it hasn't been certified and won't be for days.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:14 PM   #16
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Trump is finally speaking. He's still playing to the election conspiracy nonsense. But at least he's telling them to leave.
Just watched. I dont feel like this is going to help things!
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:14 PM   #17
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump just called the people storming the White House "Beautiful People" while making a weak attempt to tell them to go home.
Trump must be removed from office.
By any means Nessacary.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:15 PM   #18
dirtywick
Master Poster

A lot of them are armed, things could turn sour quick
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:15 PM   #19
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Why isn't this in politics?
I chose this forum because it's a current riot.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:15 PM   #20
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Trump could stop them, but he wont.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:16 PM   #21
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Biden is speaking right now.

Trump is barely tweeting, although its probably his staff with access to his account.
Along those lines:

"White House adviser: Trump doesn't want to do more to calm riots"

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...5d36a6dd5c6254
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:16 PM   #22
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I have heard that quote from Lincoln many times before. but Biden when used it it sent chills down my back.
And how Honest Abe is spinning in his grave at what the GOP has done.
The GOP today is a lot less Lincoln and a lot more Lee.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:16 PM   #23
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump just released a tape played on CNN;links to it will be easy to find.
Warning: it might well make you vomit.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:16 PM   #24
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Trump has taken to Twitter telling them they were robbed, just like him, but they should go home now. It's okay to be bitter, he's bitter too, but they should go home now.
He just broadcast that too.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:16 PM   #25
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets a video statement

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...28882595885058
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:16 PM   #26
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets a video statement

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...28882595885058
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:17 PM   #27
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
CNN just showed the video. So bad...
Old 6th January 2021, 02:18 PM   #28
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Multiple officers have been injured, at least one on the way to the hospital. National Guard activated.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:18 PM   #29
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Butter! View Post
Are you being facetious, or do you actually think this is it???

I'm having a heart attack, I should have called off work today
The crowd isn't even that big.

It was the police who shot a protestor.

There was an IED apparently found on the Capitol grounds.

If you are at work, it's the best place to let this all pass. By nightfall this will be mostly over and the vote count will continue.

The next event on the schedule is a taped speech by Trump.

Will it be "stand by and stand down" or will it be another proclamation that he won the election? I'm sure he's pleased with himself being all about revenge and all.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:19 PM   #30
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Yep:

Trump: It was an election that was stolen, I won by a lot, now go home.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:19 PM   #31
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Lemme guess...not helping?

(As if he ever has...)
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:19 PM   #32
catsmate
No longer the 1

The German police handled the NSDAP better in 1923.....
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:20 PM   #33
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Trump could stop them, but he wont.
I don't think he could. He has been egging them on for too long. If he told them to leave and go home, the Qanon idiots will say that it's a deep fake or he was forced to say what he did by the deep state.

Well, he just told them to go home, so we'll see what happens.

ETA: Of course, he started by agitating them even further by insisting that the election was stolen.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 6th January 2021 at 02:21 PM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:20 PM   #34
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I chose this forum because it's a current riot.
It’s no longer a riot. It’s a seditious occupation of a government building.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:20 PM   #35
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post

(As if he ever has...)
No. He's still lying.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:22 PM   #36
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post

(As if he ever has...)
No, while he told people to go home, he also spent most of it whining about how bad it was the election was stolen from him.

Old 6th January 2021, 02:22 PM   #37
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I don't think he could. He has been egging them on for too long. If he told them to leave and go home, the Qanon idiots will say that it's a deep fake or he was forced to say what he did by the deep state.

Well, he just told them to go home, so we'll see what happens.
It's possible he can stop them if he finally owns up to the fact that he lost the election. He won't though, because he's an insane coward and a sociopath. He doesn't really care that he's causing harm to anyone.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:23 PM   #38
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

I've stood in streets with "electronic surveillance equipment" under threat of "conspiracy/terrorism" charges on many ocassions. I've exchanged names with people who spent time in jail after some of those experiences.

If the hammer doesn't come down for this, I don't know how I'll stomach it.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:23 PM   #39
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

For reference (mostly 2 minutes about how he really won and it was a stolen election. At one point he tells them they can't "play into the hands of these people" —of course, IMPOTUS incited this):

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...28882595885058 https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1346928882595885058
Old 6th January 2021, 02:28 PM   #40
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

The police let the rioters in.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events