IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , donald trump , protest incidents , Trump controversies , Washington DC incidents

Old 6th January 2021, 06:21 PM   #241
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

On CNN, one of the reasons being advanced for seriously working to quickly remove trump is this: Today's unprecedented takeover of the U.S. Capitol by a partisan mob -- a mob that has been encouraged for weeks by trump to do just this sort of thing -- has ended. The mob was repelled. Okay. But as of now, an angry, frustrated trump is going to be in the White House for two more weeks.

This isn't over. What's next?
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:23 PM   #242
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
It's not a cop, Ginger. Look at his patches.
I did. They were hard to see even with a magnifying glass and an enlarged image.

Homeland Security thugs are known to wear non-identifying badges.

What do you see in the image?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:24 PM   #243
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
On CNN, one of the reasons being advanced for seriously working to quickly remove trump is this: Today's unprecedented takeover of the U.S. Capitol by a partisan mob -- a mob that has been encouraged for weeks by trump to do just this sort of thing -- has ended. The mob was repelled. Okay. But as of now, an angry, frustrated trump is going to be in the White House for two more weeks.

Since Twitter have suspended him, the monster's teeth have been drawn for now. Not clear how long for though.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:24 PM   #244
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by HHellpop View Post
It is relevant. You said, twice, that he can't without names. Carter's order says "all persons" without naming a single one of them. You didn't say "without charges".
I think you missed my point. The draft dodgers all had their names in the system.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:26 PM   #245
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post

Indeed. He keeps fueling the fire and there are more Trumpist morons around the country who could head for DC now that they've seen how awesome it is to attack the Capitol. We had such morons in our state capitol (Salem OR) going wild today.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:26 PM   #246
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Did you look at it?
Yes, but what I saw at that link at the time I clicked it didn't strike me as racist, and I did know what it meant. But whether I found it racist or not is irrelevant to the question: how can you tell if something is racist if you don't know what it means?

Quote:
It's not like there's a question.
Yes, there is. The question I asked: how can you decide if something is racist if you don't know what it means? You are begging the question (in the proper, pedantic meaning of the expression) here.

Quote:
What I was asking was why did Mumbles post it.
And what I'm asking you is how you determined that as being racist if you don't know what it means.

Blitroppi. Racist, or not, to use that word?
Old 6th January 2021, 06:26 PM   #247
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Insurrection: an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government

Armed: furnished with weapons

Which parts of those definitions don’t apply here? “Revolt?”
What weapons did they have? And how was that not just a mob?
Old 6th January 2021, 06:26 PM   #248
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I did. They were hard to see even with a magnifying glass and an enlarged image.

I saw a death's head and an American flag with an AR-15 superimposed over it. I also had no issues clicking on the photo making it bigger. Perhaps I just have a larger screen than you though.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:27 PM   #249
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Since Twitter have suspended him, the monster's teeth have been drawn for now. Not clear how long for though.
Can you imagine his anger and frustration?
Old 6th January 2021, 06:28 PM   #250
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Backfire! The proceedings have resumed and it has been said after the end to the AZ objection the rest of the planned disruptions probably won't continue.
One would expect that but......
Old 6th January 2021, 06:28 PM   #251
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by nelsondogg View Post
NY Times is reporting that Pence activated the national guard, not Trump. Wtf...
D.C. Mayor made the request.

Pentagon (DEFSEC) approved, which they have discretion to do without explicit command from POTUS.

That other public officials also made pleas to do so, those are not official requests or orders.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:28 PM   #252
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I doubt the US is going to fall apart over a few more riots.

In a few weeks Trump will get turfed out on his **** and it will be just a highlight in history classes to talk about.

2007 https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna16911044
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:30 PM   #253
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Picture of a fascist with handgun and zip-tie restraints in the capitol building. Equipped to take prisoners.

https://twitter.com/Rebexem/status/1346924689101213696
Hand gun? That's a cop.
The markings are not the sort I would associate with police but there's enough overlap between some police mentality with that of right wing militia types (punisher, come & take it, etc.) that I had to double check to make sure that that wasn't what we were seeing here.

The photographer who took that certainly is not labeling that photograph as a photograph of police. Anywhere that I have seen this photograph shown has a caption that says otherwise.

Quote:
Win McNamee
Capitol protests
WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 06: Protesters enter the Senate Chamber on January 06, 2021 in Washington, DC. Congress held a joint session today to ratify President-elect Joe Biden's 306-232 Electoral College win over President Donald Trump. Pro-Trump protesters have entered the U.S. Capitol building after mass demonstrations in the nation's capital. (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images) Getty Images
Old 6th January 2021, 06:34 PM   #254
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post

And what I'm asking you is how you determined that as being racist if you don't know what it means.

Blitroppi. Racist, or not, to use that word?
Like I said, look at the link.
Old 6th January 2021, 06:35 PM   #255
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I note that of the three broadcast networks, ABC and NBC are covering Congress live; CBS has gone back to its regular programming. MSNBC is also covering the event; Fox has Tucker Carlson ranting.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:37 PM   #256
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Indeed. Unless there's a Deaths Head precinct, I suppose.
Is it in Sheboygan, WI?

P.S. I just wanted to write "Sheboygan", actually.
Old 6th January 2021, 06:39 PM   #257
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Click on the full picture. That's not any police uniform, and those patches show a skull and a rifle over the American flag. The fact that he's climbing over seats next to another obvious protester is also a big giveaway.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:39 PM   #258
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

IANAL, but I'm pretty sure a guy being interviewed on CNN as a witness to the the fatal shooting in the Capitol just confessed to felony murder.
Old 6th January 2021, 06:40 PM   #259
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I doubt the US is going to fall apart over a few more riots.

In a few weeks Trump will get turfed out on his **** and it will be just a highlight in history classes to talk about.
Yeah it's fine. There is now officially a body count over Trump's delusion but yeah, just a highlight in a history book to you.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:42 PM   #260
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
Is it in Sheboygan, WI?

P.S. I just wanted to write "Sheboygan", actually.
I think it's this patch. A punisher skull, popular with white supremacists.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 6th January 2021 at 06:44 PM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:44 PM   #261
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Like I said, look at the link.
Like I said, I did. I don't think it's racist. I know what it means. You claim you don't know what it means, but without knowing what it means you are capable of determining it is racist. You refuse to answer how you can find a thing racist without knowing what it means.

You have accused another member of posting something racist. I think that's fairly rude. I think you should either admit you were wrong about that and apologize, or else explain how you determined it was racist. Unless a skeptic's site is not a place for people to show their work and present reasons for their conclusions?
Old 6th January 2021, 06:45 PM   #262
Checkmite

Per the Washington Post:

Quote:
What appeared to be two realistic-looking homemade bombs were found near the Republican National Committee headquarters and the Democratic National Committee headquarters in downtown Washington, officials said Wednesday, adding to the danger and disorder centered around Congress.

The suspected bomb outside the RNC was found next to a trash container, and was a metal pipe with metal end caps, with wires running from inside the pipe to a plastic kitchen timer, according to people familiar with the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss ongoing investigations.

FBI explosives experts responded to both devices, and they were “rendered safe by the FBI and our law enforcement partners,” the bureau said in a statement. “The investigation is ongoing.”

In a statement, the RNC called the suspicious package outside its building an “explosive device that was successfully detonated.”

Federal agents also are investigating a pickup truck found outside the RNC, according to two people familiar with the investigation.

The truck, parked across the street from the party offices and near the entrance to a Metro station, contained rifles and shotguns, a great deal of ammunition, and other unspecified material, these people said. Federal agents are still trying to determine if that vehicle and its contents are connected to the suspected pipe bombs found earlier, the people said.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:45 PM   #263
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

A patch on his chest with an American flag with a skull superimposed on it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ErE83FIX...jpg&name=large

What branch of US Law Enforcement wears that badge?
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:45 PM   #264
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Yeah it's fine. There is now officially a body count over Trump's delusion but yeah, just a highlight in a history book to you.
Yes. Pretty much

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:50 PM   #265
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I think you made a mistake. Your link goes to an article about civil unrest, not attempted coups.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:52 PM   #266
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
A patch on his chest with an American flag with a skull superimposed on it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ErE83FIX...jpg&name=large

What branch of US Law Enforcement wears that badge?
Can you make out what the blue thing underneath is?
Old 6th January 2021, 06:55 PM   #267
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

Just looks like a blue stripe inside a grey box.

edit: It appears to be this: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Police-One-1...h/371884651921

A badge indicating 5 years service with the police?

Last edited by JesseCuster; 6th January 2021 at 06:58 PM.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:55 PM   #268
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I think you made a mistake. Your link goes to an article about civil unrest, not attempted coups.
I think you might look back at this in a few years and realise you maybe over egging the pudding.

Old 6th January 2021, 06:58 PM   #269
Checkmite

I think you might look back at this in a few years and realise you maybe over egging the pudding.
Four years ago you would've said this to anyone wondering about even the possibility of what has, in fact, taken place today in Washington DC, at the President's direction.
Old 6th January 2021, 07:01 PM   #270
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Armed civilians interrupted US government proceedings, threatened US government officials, and damaged/stole US government property. Nothing about this can be waved off as 'just' a mob, that's how ALL revolutions start. Mobs devastate. Mobs topple civilizations.
Old 6th January 2021, 07:05 PM   #271
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh dear God. If any of us had said "On the Election Certification Day An Armed Mob Is Going to Force Their Way Into the Capital Building" even yesterday all of the "Oh you're being dramatic and hyperbolic" crowds heads would have exploded.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:06 PM   #272
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Its good of these idiots to post nice, clear photos of themselves, so that they can be easily identified later.
I am sure several law enforcement agencies will be very grateful for these people saving them so much work.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:06 PM   #273
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Armed civilians interrupted US government proceedings, threatened US government officials, and damaged/stole US government property. Nothing about this can be waved off as 'just' a mob, that's how ALL revolutions start. Mobs devastate. Mobs topple civilizations.
The US has 329 odd million of mostly sane people and a military of nearly 1.5 million.

I think they will probably figure out how to sort it out

Old 6th January 2021, 07:08 PM   #274
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

He can't do that without names and they are too paranoid to give them. The feds just need to wait 13 days, 19 hours to charge them.
First, I don't think that's true, and second, I don't think it would stop him if it were.

I am not entirely sure why you continue to characterize this whole thing as you do. A group of possibly armed rioters, possibly with the collusion of the police, and likely with the collusion, certainly the encouragement, of the outgoing president, invaded the Capitol and forced the suspension of government business by threatening the well-being of the legislature, in order to prevent the lawful proceeding of government affairs. If that's not an attempted coup, what is? The fact that it was a futile attempt and likely to fail does not make it less treasonous than it was. You don't get a free ride because you're too stupid to do better.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:08 PM   #275
Paul2
Philosopher

What weapons did they have? And how was that not just a mob?
The RNC and DNC had IEDs today. I’ll wait for more reporting to verify my memory on the insurrectionists being armed. I’ll stand corrected if that’s not verified.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:10 PM   #276
Silly Green Monkey

Most of the millions of mostly sane are too sane to trek thousands of miles to get close, and the military is spread over the world. Also, did any of those prevent the Congressional session from fleeing for their lives? Millions of Americans were perfectly sane but Giffords and nine people were gunned down by a *single* crazyperson. One, or a few, can do what one third of British colonists were able to do to British governors. Numbers mean nothing, numbers protect no one.
Old 6th January 2021, 07:11 PM   #277
Silly Green Monkey

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
The RNC and DNC had IEDs today. I’ll wait for more reporting to verify my memory on the insurrectionists being armed. I’ll stand corrected if that’s not verified.
Along with the 13 arrests reported, 5 confiscated guns were reported. That's not including the guns confiscated when the Proud Boys leader tried to haul in his arsenal over the weekend.
Old 6th January 2021, 07:13 PM   #278
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Oh dear God. If any of us had said "On the Election Certification Day An Armed Mob Is Going to Force Their Way Into the Capital Building" even yesterday all of the "Oh you're being dramatic and hyperbolic" crowds heads would have exploded.
Shall we predict what's next? Will Trump go on television and ask his followers to burn down the capitol buildings of every state that didn't vote for him? Will he try to deploy the military to invade Democratic strongholds? Will he accuse Biden, Pelosi, Pence, and McConnell of being terrorists and have them special renditioned? What enormity does anyone imagine is beyond him? What's the next "oh, he couldn't possibly do that, that's crazy" that then proceeds to occur?
Old 6th January 2021, 07:13 PM   #279
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Lady that got shot dead had Q anon postings on social media.

I guess she thought the storm was happening right up until a cop plugged her in the neck. Another body on Q's tab.
Old 6th January 2021, 07:14 PM   #280
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
Just looks like a blue stripe inside a grey box.

edit: It appears to be this: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Police-One-1...h/371884651921

A badge indicating 5 years service with the police?
So Checkmite may be right?

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
In his day job, maybe.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events