IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th January 2021, 03:55 PM   #121
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Oh, he probably has. He will try a different tactics nest time.

Hans

What? Do you expect him to lay an egg.

P. S. He's got less than ten days what could he possibly do?
Old 10th January 2021, 03:58 PM   #122
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think some of the moron insurrectionists expected some sooper secret Special Operations groups to come to their aid after they seized the capitol.Qanon has hinted at this.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 04:04 PM   #123
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post

Well the gravy seals and QAnon morons keep saying that the real event will be on the 17th so...this again but louder and more violent?

They for example thought that slavery was perfectly fine, absolutely OK, and then they didn't and what is the point of the Catholic Church if it says "Oh we couldn't know better because no one else did" THEN WHAT ARE YOU FOR? - Stephen Fry
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 04:47 PM   #124
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Well the gravy seals and QAnon morons keep saying that the real event will be on the 17th so...this again but louder and more violent?
I hope they won't be more violent. This time the National Guard will have live ammo and will be there ahead of time.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 05:39 PM   #125
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I have been wondering if Trump will get sued soon after he leaves office on 20 JAN 2021.

After all, I could see Trump being sued for the people who got killed, as well as the millions of dollars in damages his various toadies caused.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 05:41 PM   #126
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
...This time the National Guard will have live ammo and will be there ahead of time.

NO excuses this time. Law enforcement MUST be prepared. From NBC News:
Quote:
“Many of Us will return on January 19, 2021, carrying Our weapons, in support of Our nation's resolve, towhich [sic] the world will never forget!!! We will come in numbers that no standing army or police agency can match,” wrote a popular Parler user who frequently posts about QAnon, and is being tracked by the Anti-Defamation League. "Round 2 on January 20th. This time no mercy. I don’t even care about keeping Trump in power. I care about war,” an anonymous person posted on the platform TheDonald.win, which is filled with comments posted by people who lauded those who rioted Wednesday as “heroes.” NBC News link
Parler, isn't that trump's new cyber home?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Was this only round one.jpg (109.8 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by newyorkguy; 10th January 2021 at 05:54 PM.
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 02:16 AM   #127
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I hope they won't be more violent. This time the National Guard will have live ammo and will be there ahead of time.
If they try it, whiff of grapeshot time.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 02:19 AM   #128
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I have been wondering if Trump will get sued soon after he leaves office on 20 JAN 2021.

After all, I could see Trump being sued for the people who got killed, as well as the millions of dollars in damages his various toadies caused.
Well, Trump owes well over half a billion dollars from his business failures and on Jan 21 they will start to come around to collect.....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th January 2021, 02:31 AM   #129
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Well, Trump owes well over half a billion dollars from his business failures and on Jan 21 they will start to come around to collect.....
ironically, this lenders might be willing to take a big haircut on the outstanding loans, just to cut their ties with Trump as fast as possible.
Old 11th January 2021, 04:44 AM   #130
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
ironically, this lenders might be willing to take a big haircut on the outstanding loans, just to cut their ties with Trump as fast as possible.
If the rumours are true his current lenders arenít the type to take a haircut, they are the type to give you a haircut at shoulder height.
Old 11th January 2021, 04:45 AM   #131
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
If the rumours are true his current lenders arenít the type to take a haircut, they are the type to give you a haircut at shoulder height.
fine by me.
Old 11th January 2021, 04:58 AM   #132
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Parler, isn't that trump's new cyber home?
Not anymore, Amazon apparently ran their servers and they decided to shut it down, citing the failure to moderate posts inciting violence.

How long it stays closed is anyone's guess.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 06:16 AM   #133
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

On the other hand, publicly bankrupting not just Trump, but his whole family, could make them incredibly popular.
Old 11th January 2021, 06:25 AM   #134
dirtywick
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Not anymore, Amazon apparently ran their servers and they decided to shut it down, citing the failure to moderate posts inciting violence.

How long it stays closed is anyone's guess.
plus, what fun is parler when there's no libs to trigger
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 06:45 AM   #135
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
On the other hand, publicly bankrupting not just Trump, but his whole family, could make them incredibly popular.
Doubt that's what they are after.
Old 11th January 2021, 06:53 AM   #136
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Doubt that's what they are after.

I don't know, with all the calls to "Eat tax the rich" lately, I could see them wanting to find something to make them look like the good guys in the public eye.
Old 11th January 2021, 07:10 AM   #137
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

If they try it, whiff of grapeshot time.
How about "whiff of tank fire" or "whiff of aerial bombing"?
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 07:47 AM   #138
Suddenly
No Punting

I don't know, with all the calls to "Eat tax the rich" lately, I could see them wanting to find something to make them look like the good guys in the public eye.
Corporations publicly rebuking Trump and his allies is a PR layup right now. Has little to do with nailing rich people as it does maintaining the illusion that corporations are anything but amoral seekers of profit.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 07:56 AM   #139
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
plus, what fun is parler when there's no libs to trigger
If I know fringe groups right, there will be plenty of infighting to keep them entertained.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 08:06 AM   #140
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Stupid question: isn't the NG under Trump's command? Will they have to coax him with hamberders and promises of two scoops of ice cream on the next trip to Mar-A-Lago to get him to deploy them, or can someone else do it over his head?
Old 11th January 2021, 08:12 AM   #141
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Reportedly, Pence already went over his head once to get a deployment.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 09:51 AM   #142
Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Tanks are too heavy for DC streets. Trump was very disappointed by that when he was told. He wanted to have his big military parade marching past his podium...
Old 11th January 2021, 09:51 AM   #143
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Right now, Pence is de facto POTUS.

I have very mixed feelings about that.
Old 11th January 2021, 09:56 AM   #144
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm beginning to get the impression that Trump's not actually been the President in a lot of very real senses of the term for a while now and I have VERY mixed feelings about that.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 10:09 AM   #145
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm beginning to get the impression that Trump's not actually been the President in a lot of very real senses of the term for a while now and I have VERY mixed feelings about that.
This is something about which I expressed concern very early on in this 4-year nightmare, when it was being suggested that Trump's subordinates could or even should just ignore Trump when he gives nutty but legal orders. I didn't then and don't now want this rapist screwing up the country [more], but I also don't want other members of the government defying the constitution. It's why I've always considered the political risks of impeachment irrelevant.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 11th January 2021 at 10:10 AM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 11:16 AM   #146
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
It's why I've always considered the political risks of impeachment irrelevant.

There's got to be a point where political risks don't matter. At some point, you have to at least try to do something, because you have a duty to do it. A legal duty, or a moral duty. A duty to society. Impeachment is one of those things.

Even if you know you're going to get steamrollered by the forces of evil, you still have a duty to try, if for no other reason than showing people that not everyone acquiesced to the victory of evil. There's a reason we still honor those who fought in the Warsaw Uprising, even though they lost, even though that loss was pretty much a foregone conclusion before they even began to fight.
Old 11th January 2021, 11:24 AM   #147
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post

In years to come he'll probably have mixed feelings about having ducked his chance to be the actual president for a couple of weeks.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 11:26 AM   #148
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post

Well, I have heard that question before, and so far, he has surprised us.
Not in a positive way, but still .... surprised.

Hans
Old 11th January 2021, 11:38 AM   #149
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

There's got to be a point where political risks don't matter. At some point, you have to at least try to do something, because you have a duty to do it. A legal duty, or a moral duty. A duty to society. Impeachment is one of those things.

Even if you know you're going to get steamrollered by the forces of evil, you still have a duty to try, if for no other reason than showing people that not everyone acquiesced to the victory of evil. There's a reason we still honor those who fought in the Warsaw Uprising, even though they lost, even though that loss was pretty much a foregone conclusion before they even began to fight.
I concur.

Over the last few years, I have been greatly angered by a number of Republicans who have, IMO, prioritized their careers above doing the right thing. In general, they've supported various inane Trump things because they feared that being denounced by Trump would cost them their next election. I believe that their duty is to do what's right, not what is most personally politically expedient, hence my anger and disappointment.

Sauce for the goose. I don't think any Democrat in Congress has any doubt that Trump should* be impeached, convicted, and imprisoned. Yes, it might not be politically expedient, but if it's wrong for Republicans to base their actions on their fear of backlash, then it's wrong for Democrats, too.

*Some may sincerely believe that it's in the best interest of the country to simply move past this without retribution. I disagree, but if it's a sincere belief, then they may have a duty to vote against impeachment/conviction.
Old 11th January 2021, 11:43 AM   #150
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
*Some may sincerely believe that it's in the best interest of the country to simply move past this without retribution. I disagree, but if it's a sincere belief, then they may have a duty to vote against impeachment/conviction.

Anyone who does have such a sincere belief should also welcome a vote on impeachment, so that they can go on record as opposing it.

I'm okay with letting history judge my pro-impeachment position, let them stand for judgement as well.
Old 11th January 2021, 11:45 AM   #151
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Checks and balances, limits on power, procedures, etc... none of these are meant to be suicide packs or petards we deserve to be strung up on.

I've never gotten the varying degrees of either resigned acceptance or gleeful joy that so many people seem to react with to this possible scenario of American being cornered by its own rules and being forced to watch the ship go down because of it.

Yes if America doesn't follow its own rules we're effed no matter what but there's a difference between dying for your principles and dying because of them.

The whole "Oopsie doodles looks Trump done went and Mr. Beaned us into a coup and now our hands are tied because the rules say we can't do anything" is not an acceptable place for this story to end.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 11th January 2021 at 11:49 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 11:48 AM   #152
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
Over the last few years, I have been greatly angered by a number of Republicans who have, IMO, prioritized their careers above doing the right thing.
I don't have a problem with politicians "prioritiz(ing) their careers."

What I am more angered about is the fact there is a difference between "doing the right thing" and "prioritizing your career."
Old 11th January 2021, 11:51 AM   #153
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
They're not mutually exclusive; there are beehive rounds for tank cannon and 70mm FFAR aerial rockets....
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 12:02 PM   #154
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I don't have a problem with politicians "prioritiz(ing) their careers."

What I am more angered about is the fact there is a difference between "doing the right thing" and "prioritizing your career."
I'd love to find a way to keep populist bullies out of politics, but until then, "prioritizing your career" will often mean doing whatever's good for the populist bully.
Old 11th January 2021, 12:34 PM   #155
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Checks and balances, limits on power, procedures, etc... none of these are meant to be suicide packs or petards we deserve to be strung up on.
Blown up by, a petard is a bomb.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 12:45 PM   #156
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

I think some of the moron insurrectionists expected some sooper secret Special Operations groups to come to their aid after they seized the capitol.Qanon has hinted at this.
God, they really do think they're living in a lousy movie.

That is so annoying to me.
Old 11th January 2021, 12:50 PM   #157
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Butter! View Post
God, they really do think they're living in a lousy movie.
Exactly there would be a mass uprising and the baby eating elites would be all put into their place in a montage. Roll Credits.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 12:51 PM   #158
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

And the baby-eating thing, too. I mean, seriously, how childish and ridiculous can you get. I have zero respect for these people. I don't really see them as people.

I know that's kind of terrible, but it took me awhile to get to that point.
Old 11th January 2021, 12:53 PM   #159
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It was noted that after the successfully breached the Capitol a lot of these idiots just... like stood there and milled about.

The best description of it I read was that it was like watching someone who's beat a video game level and was just standing there waiting for their next objective to pop up.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 11th January 2021 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11th January 2021, 12:54 PM   #160
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Butter! View Post
And the baby-eating thing, too. I mean, seriously, how childish and ridiculous can you get. I have zero respect for these people. I don't really see them as people.
Hey they are just keeping with the anti-Semitic classics. Just traditional blood libel.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics