ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 23rd March 2007, 12:58 AM   #1
athon

Yowies - Australia's Bigfoot

I was going to point out to somebody the other day what a Yowie was, and looked up some web sites. This was the top one I came across;

http://www.yowiehunters.com/

The forum is full of people who fully believe in the elusive Yowie. There are one or two reports of recent Yowie attacks, with much discussion on the issue.

Might be interesting for a browse for those who like this sort of thing.

Athon
athon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2007, 01:07 AM   #2
athon

http://www.cryptomundo.com/bigfoot-report/yowie-video/

Check out the video half way down.

It's impossible to tell if it's a hoax or if they startled something (not to say Australia has anything that looks remotely like a tall, shaggy thing). I'd lean towards the former without further evidence.

Athon
athon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2007, 07:16 PM   #3
noblecaboose
Muse

You're still not fooling me.

Nice try.
noblecaboose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2007, 07:19 PM   #4
noblecaboose
Muse

I say it was a bearded vagrant in an old fur coat.
noblecaboose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2007, 03:58 PM   #5
athon

Like you'd know! You don't even believe in drop bears, or pouched chickens.

Athon
Old 24th March 2007, 04:25 PM   #6
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by noblecaboose View Post
I say it was a bearded vagrant in an old fur coat.
Leg hurting bad, as he bends to pick a dog-end.
He goes down to the bog and warms his feet.
Old 24th March 2007, 05:03 PM   #7
Kilgore Trout
Wuse

Originally Posted by athon View Post

It's impossible to tell if it's a hoax or if they startled something (not to say Australia has anything that looks remotely like a tall, shaggy thing). I'd lean towards the former without further evidence.

Athon
I'm curious to find out if what that thing was doing to the tree is legal in Australia. Maybe charges can be brought up and the police (or Humane Society, as applicable) can bring it in for questioning/delousing.
Old 24th March 2007, 06:21 PM   #8
athon

Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I'm curious to find out if what that thing was doing to the tree is legal in Australia. Maybe charges can be brought up and the police (or Humane Society, as applicable) can bring it in for questioning/delousing.
I think the video was shot in Queensland. Therefore, it's probably not legal, but it would make the thing in the picture a Queensland politician.

Athon
Old 8th December 2009, 06:44 PM   #9
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Sure, I'll dig up this old thread. Back to back news stories with battling Yowie researchers.

Dog killed by Yowie

Originally Posted by ntnews.com
...Andrew McGinn, who has been researching Yowies in the Top End for more than a decade, said it was possible the hairy ape-type beast was responsible for the attack.

"The way the guy's dog was killed was typical of a Yowie," he said.

"I know it sounds fanciful but over the past 100 years, dogs get killed or decapitated and people report feeling watched, having goats stolen or seeing some tall hairy thing in the days beforehand."

Yowie not to blame for death

Quote:
...Tim the Yowie Man, a former economist who turned his hand to Yowie research after spotting a hairy beast on a bushwalk 15 years ago, said the Yowie was not to blame.

"I'm very concerned that the Yowie is being incorrectly portrayed as an aggressive creature that is posing a danger to people's pets," he said.

"In over 150 years of Yowie reports all over Australia, I've never heard of a Yowie ripping an animal's head off.
Old 8th December 2009, 06:59 PM   #10
Alan
Illuminator

I used to buy yowies. They were delicious.
http://www.skeptiseum.org/images/exh/yowies.jpg
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2009, 08:10 PM   #11
fromdownunder
Philosopher

I had one as a pet once, but a Dingo ate my Yowie.

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2009, 08:14 PM   #12
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Zombie Yowie thread!

This will end well.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

The Australasian Skeptics Forum
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2009, 09:08 PM   #13
the_eye
Scholar

The only natural predator of the Yowie is the Drop Bear.
the_eye is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2009, 09:19 PM   #14
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I wonder who would win a fight between a Yowie and a Bunyip.

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2009, 09:26 PM   #15
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Sure, I'll dig up this old thread. Back to back news stories with battling Yowie researchers.

Dog killed by Yowie

Yowie not to blame for death
Clearly that was the work of a dinosaur.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2009, 10:12 PM   #16
Alan
Illuminator

Zombie dinosaurs from Jupiter.
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2009, 10:16 PM   #17
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole

Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Zombie dinosaurs from Jupiter.
Pfft! Yeah right, man. How do they walk on a gas giant? And how do they breath? Oh no, wait, they're zombies. How did they even get here, man? T Rex little arms couldn't even drive...

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2009, 10:26 PM   #18
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
Pfft! Yeah right, man. How do they walk on a gas giant? And how do they breath? Oh no, wait, they're zombies. How did they even get here, man? T Rex little arms couldn't even drive...

Well, Europa excuse for a skeptic! As far as Io, they got here by Carpo.

They Leda fairly secluded life, and that's why they've never Metis before.

Sorry about that. Gannymede me say it.

Old 8th December 2009, 11:08 PM   #19
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Originally Posted by athon View Post

Athon
I reckon that was an Emu. Stirred to 'flight' only when the torch and the clamour of the people neared.
I am almost positive; look at the movement, the furry feathers etc.

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
I wonder who would win a fight between a Yowie and a Bunyip.
Depends if the ref is Nessie or Bigfoot
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2009, 11:46 PM   #20
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by A.A.Alfie View Post
I reckon that was an Emu. Stirred to 'flight' only when the torch and the clamour of the people neared.
I am almost positive; look at the movement, the furry feathers etc.

With you 100%. It must have been having a kip next to that tree when Laser Boy and friends turned up.

Old 8th December 2009, 11:47 PM   #21
Hallo Alfie
Banned

With you 100%. It must have been having a kip next to that tree when Laser Boy and friends turned up.
Bingo!
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2009, 08:50 AM   #22
The Shrike
Illuminator

That Katoomba video is a known hoax - wookie suited "mime:" http://www.bigfootforums.com/index.p...pic=15817&st=0
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2009, 06:25 PM   #23
cyclonic
Muse

I live near ormeau, south east queensland where a yowie likes jogging next to the gold coast highway during the morning rush hour!:

DATE : 98

TERRAIN : Heavy bush on both sides of the road.

"Women driving to work along the Pacific Highway in the early morning peak hour, noticed the traffic was slowing down ahead of her. As she crept along the road, she saw what appeared to her as a vagrant trundling along the side of the Highway.

As she approached a little closer, a terrible smell came through the car that resembled rotting eggs. The "person" looked very dirty, like he was covered in mud and looked quite distressed.

She eventually caught up with him and to her shock, it was not a man at all. It was 7' tall and exept for the face it was covered in dirty brown hair. It seemed to be hunched over as it jogged along side the motorists and from her report, it seemed to be extremely emaciated. She drove onto work, and had a very confusing and stressful day.

NOTES: This particular Yowie is known to us at the A.Y.R. and has been seen by many people in this area. Due to land development, its food resources have deminis hed dramatically, this is why it looked so thin and distressed. It is our opinion that it may have been looking for road kill as they do when they are starving. There is also a drain that can be walked under near by to get to the other side of the road, but it would be very strange for it to expose itself in such a way during daylight. Other contributing factors are there were heavy road works and alterations going on at the time which may have caused him to find a different path to what he'd normally use, which could have caused some confusion for him".

http://www.yowiehunters.com/index.ph...=54&Itemid=131

i have lived in this area for 17 years on a large isolated bush acerage, i have never seen or heard any animal i couldn't identify or ever met anyone who saw one either,
Its just a story made up by some fool and posted by some fool who really wants to believe they are out there.
cyclonic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2009, 07:24 PM   #24
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cyclonic View Post
As she approached a little closer, a terrible smell came through the car that resembled rotting eggs. The "person" looked very dirty, like he was covered in mud and looked quite distressed.
Hey that was me just after rescuing my STOP/SLOW sign from a ditch.

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2009, 08:27 PM   #25
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
That Katoomba video is a known hoax - wookie suited "mime:" http://www.bigfootforums.com/index.p...pic=15817&st=0

Hey, thanks for that!

I think Alfie and I were looking for a real-world explanation, but a hoax is always going to be an option. Your link offers very convincing evidence for a hoax, and I have no argument at all with it.

Cheers,

Dave

Old 9th December 2009, 08:37 PM   #26
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I live near ormeau, south east queensland where a yowie likes jogging next to the gold coast highway during the morning rush hour!:

<cryptosnippo>

I have lived in this area for 17 years on a large isolated bush acerage, i have never seen or heard any animal i couldn't identify or ever met anyone who saw one either,

I'm glad Professor Norm was able to clear up the source of that sighting.

You lucky bugger! An acreage at Ormeau would be grouse. I lived for many years in the giddy heights of Toowoomba and the only decent length of time I spent in your area was at Kanungra, a nice place to visit but the Land Warfare Centre is to be avoided.

Mount Tamborine woud be a terrific setting for Yowie stories too.

Its just a story made up by some fool and posted by some fool who really wants to believe they are out there.

Well yeah, but where's the fun in owning up straight away?

Old 9th December 2009, 08:47 PM   #27
athon

Zombie Yowie thread!

This will end well.
Wow, this takes me back. This was when Noblecaboose was still living in the US and our entire relationship was a one night stand in Vegas and some online flirting.

*sorry about the derail. If it helps, our son looks vaguely like a tiny yowie*

Athon
Old 9th December 2009, 10:10 PM   #28
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Derail? I don't see how.

Cheers to you and your family in the silly season.

Old 10th December 2009, 02:32 PM   #29
Ausmerican
Illuminator

Well, Europa excuse for a skeptic! As far as Io, they got here by Carpo.

They Leda fairly secluded life, and that's why they've never Metis before.

Sorry about that. Gannymede me say it.
Austen Tayshus you aint.
Ausmerican is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2009, 05:27 PM   #30
DogB
Graduate Poster

This was the site of my only encounter.

I was on the Witches Falls track down the bottom in the palm grove. I started hearing rhythmic crunching noises like something big trying to walk very slowly and quietly through the leaf litter. I’m not ashamed to say that for a little while it was a bit scary - then the logrunner came in to view.

The logrunner is a bird about the size of your hand which spends most of its time on the forest floor searching through the leaf litter. As it walks it flicks each foot sideways to scatter the litter and that was what I was hearing. I’ve spent a lot of time in the rainforest and I seen a lot of logrunners, but the palm grove is a little unusual and the litter ‘sounds’ different. That’s all it took for my imagination to get the better of me.

For about 4 seconds I believed in the yowie.
Old 10th December 2009, 10:47 PM   #31
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by DogB View Post
For about 4 seconds I believed in the yowie.
Lucky you. This guy does so forever...

Result Of A Yowie Attack

Quote:
Yowie hunter Dean Harrison hit the headlines last week when The Australian reported the story of him being "rugby tackled" by Australia's Bigfoot, the Yowie. Dean was tracking Yowies in Gympie, just outside Queensland when a startled Yowie knocked him on his arse!
Yowie Owie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dean-harrison.jpg (139.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 10th December 2009, 10:56 PM   #32
DogB
Graduate Poster

On a scale of 1 to 10 of images I didn't need to see - this one rates approx 349,246,892.
Old 11th December 2009, 03:29 AM   #33
cyclonic
Muse

I'm glad Professor Norm was able to clear up the source of that sighting.

You lucky bugger! An acreage at Ormeau would be grouse. I lived for many years in the giddy heights of Toowoomba and the only decent length of time I spent in your area was at Kanungra, a nice place to visit but the Land Warfare Centre is to be avoided.

Springbrook and the border ranges just across the queensland border, the original 'big scrub', are my favourite areas.
cyclonic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2009, 03:34 AM   #34
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

You'd know the history of the Stinson crash then? I wonder if Yowies had anything to do with that.

Yowies are known to eat Lamingtons, BTW.

Old 11th December 2009, 03:49 AM   #35
Hallo Alfie
Banned

You'd know the history of the Stinson crash then? I wonder if Yowies had anything to do with that.

Yowies are known to eat Lamingtons, BTW.
It's a well known fact that the Stinson crash was caused when the pilot dropped his craft to 'stock herding height' of 30 metres or so, and clipped an above average height dinosaur.

Last edited by Hallo Alfie; 11th December 2009 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11th December 2009, 04:37 AM   #36
Night Walker
Thinker

There have been 6 yowie stories published in the Australian media so far in 2009. I am currently unable to post any links but feel free to google them yourselves and post your comments:

Australia: Bigfoot spotted in bush near Sydney (15 April 2009)

This Yowie looks suspect (April 17, 2009)

Dog killed by Yowie (April 21st, 2009)

I was rugby-tackled by a Yowie, man claims (May 26, 2009)

Yowie sighting near Mount George (Aug 07, 2009)

Yowie sighting sparks continuing controversy (10th September, 2009)
Night Walker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2009, 02:51 AM   #37
philkensebben
Master Poster

Does anyone else think that Dean Harrisons comment in his sig, is the most convovluted pile of waffle and reeks of someone desperately wanting to give off an air of sophisticated intelligence?

'The closure of people's minds, understandings and boundaries are subject to either current environmental pressures brewed by ignorance or insecurities sculptured by pre-environmental education whereby they know no better - Dean Harrison'

Might just be me, but i find this hilarious
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2009, 02:55 AM   #38
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Night Walker View Post
There have been 6 yowie stories published in the Australian media so far in 2009. I am currently unable to post any links but feel free to google them yourselves and post your comments:

Hi Night Walker. Do you believe these reports have any validity?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2009, 04:06 AM   #39
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

All of the links on the first page of Google are to cryptonut sites except for the fifth one, which leads here, and the last one which leads to the previously debunked Laser Boy encounter at Katoomba.

Top entry for that one appears to be a post in another forum by a poster named "Night Walker"

Second top hit is this thread.

NT News

Piss-pulling at it's finest.

I'm not even going to bother.

Manning River Times

Dark night. Two hysterical women.

No, there is no controversy.

Last edited by Akhenaten; 12th December 2009 at 04:07 AM.
Old 12th December 2009, 04:14 AM   #40
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Ausmerican View Post
Austen Tayshus you aint.

You have fine taste, my friend, as well as being correct.

To be fair though, he isn't restricted to working with the moons of Jupiter.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal