ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 4th October 2010, 11:43 PM   #361
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
Pub's still there. As you point out, the Yowies just chased off the drinkers.
Thanks A, I knew you wouldn't let me down.
The way I remember it, there was a peppercorn tree and a steam roller out the front too.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 04:04 AM   #362
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by A.A.Alfie View Post
The way I remember it, there was a peppercorn tree and a steam roller out the front too.
Sounds like the patrons might not notice a yowie...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 04:18 AM   #363
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Like any pub, there were one or two locals that were probably suffering alcoholic hallucinations.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 05:06 AM   #364
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Pub's still there. As you point out, the Yowies just chased off the drinkers.

Most of my memories of the Dora Dora are from the early 70s when I was posted to Bandiana. Rather than risk getting into bother with either the local lads or the constabulary in Wodonga we used to hit the country pubs, usually in conjunction with some bunny-related activities. Dora Dora was actually a bit of a pain in the arse to get to because of the river, and we more often only got as far as the Bridge at Jingellic before the thirst took over, but the publican at Dora Dora (a German feller, but I forget his name) had a couple of gorgeous daughters who worked the bar and they made the extra 20 ks or so well worth it.

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

Like any pub, there were one or two locals that were probably suffering alcoholic hallucinations.

In those days I used to head off after dinner on my trusty XL175 with $2 in my skyrocket knowing that I had enough for a Big Night. A Glass was only 20 and ten of those was more than enough for a young feller to be fairly stonkered. Dog knows how I got away with it, although I did lose a bit of skin and fur along the way.

Funny thing though, all those nights out there in the sticks, all on me Pat with nothing but a .22 and I never saw a single Yowie.

Wasn't I lucky?

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 02:34 PM   #365
Night Walker
Thinker

To be fair - the book Something is out there is decent read focussing more so on the people who search for unusual phenomena than the mysteries themselves. In that respect, the book makes some useful insights. The newspaper article, however, is terrible. The bit about Yowies not getting their feet wet is actually referring to the Yaroma - a different but similar creature in Aboriginal mythology.
Night Walker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 09:31 PM   #366
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Funny thing though, all those nights out there in the sticks, all on me Pat with nothing but a .22 and I never saw a single Yowie.

Wasn't I lucky?
Probably the smell. I know how army lads on leave can wind up - I'd have steered clear too.

Last edited by Hallo Alfie; 5th October 2010 at 09:33 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal