ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 6th February 2010, 07:14 PM   #201
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
My apologies, really.

I was hoping for a singular answer, from THE bigfoot skeptic, and wasn't interested in getting into a long drawn out discussion.

The question struck me from another thread, about how different unconnected cultures had similar buildings of similar sizes.

I've heard similar stories about bigfoot, the world over-

They have many names:

Yeti, Almasti, Yeren, Yowie, Orang Kubu, Beruang Rambai, Orang Gadang, Zana, Ameranthropoides loysi, Mono Rei, Grey Man, rakshasa, meh-the, abominable snowman, Sasquatch, Jangali Mosh, Barmanu, Chuchunaa, wildman, Yahoo, Great Hair Moehau, Orang Dalam, Orang Sanat, kapre, waray-waray, orang gugu, beruang rambai, batutut, atu, sedapa, mawa, Malay, Sedapa, Momo, MacDhu, and Liath Mori.

Depends on whether it's an old, kinda traditional legend, like the Thunderbird in the States, or something that's just been made up in modern times.

In the case of the old myths, I can see it being something like the God of the Gaps. In other words, there were many, many things that they couldn't explain so they made up a creature to be responsible for all the bad stuff that went down. Like the God of the Gaps, as real knowledge increases, the bogeymen get smaller and smaller until either they or the people who sustain them disappear.

One of the critters missing from your list is a creature like this - the Bunyip - a creature from the Dreaming of SOME of the indigenous groups. As Professor Norm points out, Aboriginal culture is NOT homogenous throughout Australlia.

The Yowie is different though. It's a 'modern' European invention, prolly made up to scare kids or something by early settlers. It's not even a remotely Aboriginal-sounding word, and the local blokes think it's as much of a joke as we do.

People who claim Yowie encounters are, I reckon, broken up something like this:

Hoaxers and practical jokers out for lulz, and victims of same - 95%

People who saw something mundane but got a scare and either can't or won't (out of pride) admit it - 2%

Scammers - 1%

Morons - the rest%

Something like that.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

Last edited by Akhenaten; 6th February 2010 at 07:17 PM.
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2010, 07:50 PM   #202
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Sightings aren't "god of the gaps"...

Hoaxes maybe.

I don't know about your "good'ol boys down under", but if you rolled up on me and my brethren, in an ape suit and started tossing stones into camp from the darkness...you'd get some hot lead coming your way quick. Texans don't take kindly to be razzed by wildlife.

While there is proof that hoaxes have occurred, the danger in carrying out a full fledged one disallows me to accept your 95% number.

That said, I understand your argument, and no further discussion is necessary.

Be well, good man.

*Don't be afraid to shoot a hoaxer, we could end all such activity with a single round.

Last edited by King of the Americas; 6th February 2010 at 08:05 PM.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2010, 10:54 PM   #203
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Sightings aren't "god of the gaps"...

Hoaxes maybe.
So, and this is a serious question, what do you think of Dropbears?

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2010, 07:45 AM   #204
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
So, and this is a serious question, what do you think of Dropbears?

Norm
I am sorry. I am not familiar...

And, I am not equipped to partake in any real discussion, here. My question was answered to my liking, so I really don't have anything further. If you'd like to expound on a response to my question, I'd welcome whatever you offered. However, with no experience in bigfoot sightings or trips to Australia, I really have nothing to offer this discussion.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2010, 08:17 AM   #205
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Well said, KotA.

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2010, 08:49 AM   #206
EHocking
Philosopher

Without reading the whole thread:

If "Bigfoot" doesn't exist, then why does EVERY continent have its own version...?

And not just modern people claim to have 'seen' them. You'd be hard pressed to find a culture 'close to nature' that does not contain such tales or myths, if that's what they are.

*NOT an attempt to derail the thread. Just wondering how "skeptics" respond to that argument.
Firstly, a bit of hand waving here, 'cos I can't find an article on it.

But it has been put forward that the most common religious belief is not belief in an afterlife or reincarnation or redemption and such, but belief that personal bad luck is caused by malicious entities.

This is especially in the case of the "ancients", but still just as valid with any of the major religions at the moment, e.g. "this is the Devil's work".

So, humans, it seems have a prevalence of blaming misfortune on malicious entities. It doesn't take too much effort to imagine these entities anthropomorphised to some degree and you have wild men/women in the forest causing grief to everyone. Certainly this argument is backed by a plethora of sprites/imps and other entities causing problems right across (practically) all culture and ages.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage

Last edited by EHocking; 7th February 2010 at 09:07 AM. Reason: clarification on quote
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2010, 10:49 AM   #207
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Firstly, a bit of hand waving here, 'cos I can't find an article on it.

But it has been put forward that the most common religious belief is not belief in an afterlife or reincarnation or redemption and such, but belief that personal bad luck is caused by malicious entities.

This is especially in the case of the "ancients", but still just as valid with any of the major religions at the moment, e.g. "this is the Devil's work".

So, humans, it seems have a prevalence of blaming misfortune on malicious entities. It doesn't take too much effort to imagine these entities anthropomorphised to some degree and you have wild men/women in the forest causing grief to everyone. Certainly this argument is backed by a plethora of sprites/imps and other entities causing problems right across (practically) all culture and ages.
Top that with the fact that there ARE "malicious entities" mucking about, I'm sure people jumped to unfounded conclusions.

Put a fresh baked pie on the window sill in black bear country, and see if the pie doesn't come up missing.

But again, you are making the "god of the gaps" argument. Actual sightings toss that rebuttal out.

I am sorry, I won't make any more arguments here, as I fear I am out of my area of expertise...

I'll listen/lurk though.
Old 7th February 2010, 12:04 PM   #208
EHocking
Philosopher

Top that with the fact that there ARE "malicious entities" mucking about, I'm sure people jumped to unfounded conclusions.

Put a fresh baked pie on the window sill in black bear country, and see if the pie doesn't come up missing.
Way to totally miss the point of a post.
Quote:
But again, you are making the "god of the gaps" argument.
I suggest that you look up the definition of the phrase and then reread my post.
Quote:
Actual sightings toss that rebuttal out.
What rebuttal? Again, try reading my previous post for comprehension.
Quote:
I am sorry, I won't make any more arguments here, as I fear I am out of my area of expertise...
You certainly didn't seem to comprehend the post you replied to...
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2010, 12:24 PM   #209
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Yowies - Australia's Bigfoot

Old 7th February 2010, 02:28 PM   #210
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
who died and made you God,

ah yes, Amenhotep III
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2010, 02:38 PM   #211
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Old 7th February 2010, 02:50 PM   #212
Marduk
Banned

is there a point to attempting to revive a thread which died on the first page ?
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2010, 03:50 PM   #213
Hallo Alfie
Banned

But again, you are making the "god of the gaps" argument. Actual sightings toss that rebuttal out.

I'll listen/lurk though.
There are no "actual sightings" of a Yowie in Australia.
There are only the confused and the hoaxers, both of which are easily explained or discredited.
Only this and nothing more...

Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
is there a point to attempting to revive a thread which died on the first page ?
Because it fun taking the piss.
Have you ever hooked a fish and just played him? Taking two, three four times as long to land him, just for the sheer fun and skill of it? We Aussies love doing that. The we let them go with a kiss, no hard feelings.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2010, 03:54 PM   #214
JcR
Banned

Can a Yowie walk backwards?
JcR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2010, 04:32 PM   #215
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by JcR View Post
Can a Yowie walk backwards?

Only down Burke Street.

Old 7th February 2010, 04:35 PM   #216
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by A.A.Alfie View Post
There are no "actual sightings" of a Yowie in Australia.
There are only the confused and the hoaxers, both of which are easily explained or discredited.
Only this and nothing more...

Quoth the raven . . . nevermore.

Because it fun taking the piss.
Have you ever hooked a fish and just played him? Taking two, three four times as long to land him, just for the sheer fun and skill of it? We Aussies love doing that. The we let them go with a kiss, no hard feelings.

Old 7th February 2010, 04:46 PM   #217
Lucian
Illuminator

Do Yowies poop in the woods, and if so, where's the poop?
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2010, 05:12 PM   #218
JcR
Banned

Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
Do Yowies poop in the woods, and if so, where's the poop?
I wonder why wallabies have pouches.
Maybe any place might suffice.
JcR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2010, 05:13 PM   #219
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Do Yowies poop in the woods?

I think you may have had a dyslexic moment there.

Did you mean to ask, "Does the Poop yowie in the woods?"

Yes.

Where's the poop?

In Rome, as far as I know.

Last edited by Akhenaten; 7th February 2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 7th February 2010, 05:17 PM   #220
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

You bring up an interesting question. I wonder if Yowies are Marsupials.

That would be handy, because then they'd have their own pouches.

This might account for the strong odour reported by many witnesses too.

This science is pretty cool. stuff, eh?

Last edited by Akhenaten; 7th February 2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 7th February 2010, 05:49 PM   #221
JcR
Banned

That is a very sound conclusion.

Dr. Meldrum please report back to your lab. You have a very urgent matter to attend to. Hello! You still with us Dr? ...I thought Blueberry season was over?
Old 7th February 2010, 06:26 PM   #222
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

It's Summer down here in the bottom half - Blackberry and pig-tossing season.

Yowies everywhere, in fact there's one just trying to ge

Old 7th February 2010, 07:09 PM   #223
JcR
Banned

I heard the pigs down there are so venomous that even a "funnel web" can't hold a candle to it. Now what's this matter to a Yowie that wants to chuck something? The urgency to toss, overrides survival instincts.
Old 7th February 2010, 07:21 PM   #224
Lucian
Illuminator

One feels rather sorry for the baby Yowies.
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2010, 07:34 PM   #225
fromdownunder
Philosopher

This thread is going downhill fast. And it started at the bottom of a cliff.

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2010, 07:37 PM   #226
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Quoth the raven . . . nevermore.
Poe should have been an Aussie. He loved the sauce and might not have taken everything quite so seriously if he was.
I mean, imagine him with ABs wit.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...f5627b9d28.jpg
Reminds me of the Yowie and the Numbat having a poo in the woods.
"Does the poo stick to your fur?", asks the Yowie.
"Nope" replies the Numbat.
At which the Yowie scoops up the Numbat and wipes his arse with him.

And goes part way to explaining why we find no Yowie poo.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2010, 07:58 PM   #227
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I heard the pigs down there are so venomous that even a "funnel web" can't hold a candle to it. Now what's this matter to a Yowie that wants to chuck something? The urgency to toss, overrides survival instincts.

Damn straight they're venomous. The only way you can get through a whole BLT is by consuming a large quantity of the antidote before, during and after consumption.

Fortunately the antidote, a by-product of the Victoria Bitterweed, is widely available in the form of chilly Chunderchoobs.

One feels rather sorry for the baby Yowies.

That's exactly the way they want you to feel. We lose more Yowie researchers that way . . .

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
This thread is going downhill fast. And it started at the bottom of a cliff.

Norm

She's about bottomed out now I reckon, Professor Norm.

Old 7th February 2010, 08:04 PM   #228
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Poe should have been an Aussie. He loved the sauce and might not have taken everything quite so seriously if he was.
I mean, imagine him with ABs wit.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream foreseen
But the silence was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token,
And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, `Doreen!'
This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, `Doreen!'

Merely this and nothing more.

NOW, she's bottomed out.

Old 7th February 2010, 08:09 PM   #229
JcR
Banned

The Yowie not bothered with the Numbat's long sticky thingy...Tongue?
Helps explain the solitary nature of the Numbat.

ETA: I like joining in when things are at the bottom of the barrel.

Last edited by JcR; 7th February 2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 7th February 2010, 08:44 PM   #230
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

You excel, Cobber.

Old 7th February 2010, 09:10 PM   #231
Hallo Alfie
Banned

The Yowie not bothered with the Numbat's long sticky thingy...Tongue?
Helps explain the solitary nature of the Numbat.

ETA: I like joining in when things are at the bottom of the barrel.
Are your avatar girls um, available.
I always wanted to give a couple of Nazis a good going over.

What do they think of Numbats?
Old 7th February 2010, 09:20 PM   #232
fromdownunder
Philosopher

"All your Avatar are belong to us"

NOW it's bottomed out. The ultimate cliche.

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 7th February 2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 7th February 2010, 09:23 PM   #233
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I think we've gone subterranean. They'll never find us down here.

Old 7th February 2010, 09:38 PM   #234
fromdownunder
Philosopher

I, Norm, being of sound mind and body, will make one more attempt to get this thread back on track, by posting a couple of Yowie pictures. Both taken I might add from Werribee. The first is a couple of Giraffes looking at a petrified Yowie, and the second is my son, who actually participated in a Yowie hunt (and Yes, it was at Werribee - in the Mansion) and got a trophy. He is now married, so it tells you how long ago the pictures were taken

Here be the firmest Yowie evidence ever put forward by Man:

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 7th February 2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 7th February 2010, 09:59 PM   #235
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I'm going to have a cup of tea, a bex and a good lie down.

Old 8th February 2010, 12:06 AM   #236
fromdownunder
Philosopher

I'm going to have a cup of tea, a bex and a good lie down.
Would you like to see the Yowie-Hippo?

Norm
Old 8th February 2010, 02:51 AM   #237
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

OK. I'm all better now

Fire away Professor Norm.

Old 8th February 2010, 11:03 AM   #238
JcR
Banned

I always wanted to give a couple of Nazis a good going over.

What do they think of Numbats?

I think they are both taken...
Old 8th February 2010, 11:37 AM   #239
Audible Click
The gap in the plot

I think we've gone subterranean. They'll never find us down here.
I may not have dug the hole but I'm looking down there with a flashlight and a pooper scooper. Keep up the good work, people.
Audible Click is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2010, 11:43 AM   #240
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

The way we're going, this thread will pop out on the other side of the Earth soon.

If you see it wandering around in North America, could you send it back. We don't want no steenkin' bigfeets corrupting our sweet, innocent little Yowies.

Last edited by Akhenaten; 8th February 2010 at 11:44 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal