ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Closed Thread
Old 12th July 2015, 07:15 PM   #3201
Nakani
Thinker

Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post
He spent much of his time searching for the real thing
I snipped this from your post because I found it to be an interesting choice of words. It sounds to me like your saying, "he searched for the real thing then said **** it, lets make a suit.". If I believed Patty was real I would have said "He spent much of his time searching before he found Patty."

It could be just me. I know you're still young and probably believe what your saying. I just caught a bit of a troll vibe off that sentence, that's all.
Nakani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2015, 07:44 PM   #3202
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

That's a projection of your own personal suspicions about Patterson's character on the sentence I wrote. You wouldn't see it that way if you had the opposite opinion about Patterson.
OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2015, 08:14 PM   #3203
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

These are the two frames that convinced me she's real. You can see obvious signs of a biologically real hominid if you look carefully.

OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2015, 08:23 PM   #3204
Chris L
Graduate Poster

These are the two frames that convinced me she's real. You can see obvious signs of a biologically real hominid if you look carefully.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2czoqpc.png

http://i.imgur.com/1JayLxS.png
I'm quite sure the guy in the suit was humanoid too.
Old 13th July 2015, 12:03 AM   #3205
AlaskaBushPilot
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Squatchy McSquatch View Post
Brass Rail

Unless you want to fly to Thailand. Rog would love that.

How much fuel and free time do you have ABP?
The Brass Rail looks awful Squatchy to me, by the Patterson metric.

It's going to be a couple of years before I can gear up properly for that kind of expedition. The last one was four months. You just can't half-ass an important science endeavor like these pretenders do with their weekend car camping trips.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 01:09 AM   #3206
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

......... There's also a few others that I think are likely real as well, but the PGF is the clearest one that's publicly available, which is why it's so popular.
So, are you claiming that there are better films not available to the public? If so, unless you took them yourself, how do you know?
There may be dogs about

Pink Floyd - Sheep
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 10:05 AM   #3207
John Nowak
Muse

I can see where the rubber waders form an "X".

-historian
John Nowak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 10:21 AM   #3208
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

We've been telling you this forever. There most obviously a hominid in those frames: the guy in the suit.

I'll bet it was hot in there; it looks hot in there.
Old 13th July 2015, 10:38 AM   #3209
John Nowak
Muse

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
We've been telling you this forever. There most obviously a hominid in those frames: the guy in the suit.

I'll bet it was hot in there; it looks hot in there.
This year for SDCC, Adam Savage added a cooling jacket with ice water for his 2001 Clavius moon spacesuits. I really feel for the poor bugger in the Patty suit.

-historian
John Nowak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 12:41 PM   #3210
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Why don't you use original frames instead of cleaned up / enhanced copies?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 01:15 PM   #3211
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Why don't you use original frames instead of cleaned up / enhanced copies?
The second one wasn't touched at all in any way. The first one (frame 352) was brightened up a bit. The clarity is due to the good quality of those particular scans.

Last edited by OntarioSquatch; 13th July 2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 13th July 2015, 01:28 PM   #3212
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
So, are you claiming that there are better films not available to the public? If so, unless you took them yourself, how do you know?
There's one guy who has clear photos and videos of Sasquatch, but I haven't seen any of them myself and I have no way to prove that he has them, so I don't think it's even worth mentioning here.

Last edited by OntarioSquatch; 13th July 2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 13th July 2015, 01:36 PM   #3213
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

There's one guy who has clear photos and videos of Sasquatch, but I haven't seen any of them myself and I have no way to prove that he has them, so I don't think it's even worth mentioning here.
And yet you mention them, and you make it clear that -- within your concocted scenario -- you take them as evidence though you have not seen them.

It really is fascinating.
Old 13th July 2015, 01:46 PM   #3214
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
you take them as evidence though you have not seen them.
I believe his claim of having photos and videos because of the details of his encounters and the investigation that occurred, not because he claims to have photos and videos.
Old 13th July 2015, 01:54 PM   #3215
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

I believe his claim of having photos and videos because of the details of his encounters and the investigation that occurred, not because he claims to have photos and videos.
No. You don't believe them at all, nor do I believe that such a man has made such a claim for you to believe or disbelieve.

Here are my options:

1. You are truly incapable of recognizing the incredible internal contradictions and leaps of faith within your story

or

2. You're gaming us

I choose 2, because 1 requires much more belief on my part.

You don't know the details, yet you choose to insult instead of ask.
And here's proof of it. There is nothing for him to ask. You ADMITTED you have not seen them.

Edited by Agatha:  Edited response to moderated content

Last edited by Agatha; 14th July 2015 at 03:28 AM.
Garrette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 02:27 PM   #3216
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

How do you know he has them if you haven't seen them?

If this is anything to do with HRPuff'nStuff's claims, then you can forget it. It's nonsense, like the rest of his back-story. If it isn't, then is the claim of the existence of the evidence in public somewhere? If so, a link would be good.
There may be dogs about

Pink Floyd - Sheep
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 03:57 PM   #3217
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
Sane people do not invent and truly believe in ideas about aliens genetically modifying humans into bigfoots. So either he is pranking or he has some issues that should be addressed. It's alright to call him dishonest, but not ill?
It doesn't even have to be as far fetched as this: if you believe you have footies in the 2 acre wood behind your house in suburban Chicago, you should probably see a health professional. Some of the sightings you read about, if not fabricated, sound like hallucinations, which even perfectly health folks can experience. The problem is turning that one-off into a belief system that necessarily requires constant maintenance.

And lets's not get started on proponents pretending to be zoologists, biologists and detectives. Yeah, you're the first person on the internet to actually fool people, pretending to be that which you are not.
Old 13th July 2015, 04:11 PM   #3218
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

I thought they finally caught that Roger Peterson guy and his Bigfoot. Wasn't it him and his Blackfoot Indian guide Bob Gimlet (something like that) who were on horses and shot film of an encounter they had with a Bigfoot thingy up in northern CA? And then they paraded the film around showing it in theaters and stuff and making a bunch of money? Was it Peterson or Paterson? Whatever happened to that guy? Did they ever prove the film was fake? Is it a man in an ape suit? Oh wait I just noticed the title of this thread. Nevermind.
Old 13th July 2015, 04:29 PM   #3219
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
By actual research, you mean listening to bigfoot podcasts?
That's a small part of it...
Old 13th July 2015, 05:07 PM   #3220
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

I read many anecdotal accounts and do background research to figure out which ones are likely authentic and which ones aren't. If you can successfully figure out a few that actually happened, you can build on that and eventually put together the pieces of the puzzle. The downside to using anecdotal evidence is that you can't really prove what you've learned from it because interpretations of it are all subjective. They've been the foundation of my research though, and it's helped me answer a lot of the questions that I've had.
Old 13th July 2015, 05:12 PM   #3221
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

I read many anecdotal accounts and do background research to figure out which ones are likely authentic and which ones aren't. If you can successfully figure out a few that actually happened, you can build on that and eventually put together the pieces of the puzzle. The downside to using anecdotal evidence is that you can't really prove what you've learned from it because interpretations of it are all subjective. They've been the foundation of my research though, and it's helped me answer a lot of the questions that I've had.
That's not research. That's fooling yourself.
Old 13th July 2015, 06:15 PM   #3222
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The second one wasn't touched at all in any way. The first one (frame 352) was brightened up a bit. The clarity is due to the good quality of those particular scans.
Bullcrap!

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 06:32 PM   #3223
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

^That's called being in denial.
Old 13th July 2015, 06:36 PM   #3224
GT/CS
Illuminator

No, that's called calling out a liar to prove his statement.
Creekfreak anyone?
Old 13th July 2015, 06:42 PM   #3225
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

^That's called being in denial.
Yeah, like we've never seen those stills before...

I also have a bigfoot suit for sale, cheap.

Old 13th July 2015, 06:48 PM   #3226
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

The copy of frame 352 that I posted was obtained by MK Davis from Patricia Patterson's copy of the film. He paid to get high quality scans of several different frames of the film at a photo lab. Frame 352 was one of them.

Frame 61 is from Bill Munn's inventory of Cibachrome scans. There's a few more from that copy that I can post if you want.
Old 13th July 2015, 07:02 PM   #3227
RayG
Master Poster

OS, do you consider the PGF the single best piece of evidence for the reality of bigfoot?

If not, what would that single best piece of evidence be?

RayG
RayG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 07:03 PM   #3228
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The copy of frame 352 that I posted was obtained by MK Davis from Patricia Patterson's copy of the film. He paid to get high quality scans of several different frames of the film at a photo lab. Frame 352 was one of them.

Frame 61 is from Bill Munn's inventory of Cibachrome scans. There's a few more from that copy that I can post if you want.
Why would I need to see any of that again?

Why would I need to discuss any of it any more?

What is the point of re-posting it?

It's all been discussed to death twice over and then some...

Why do you post it and act as if you just discovered it and we should all suddenly be amazed at bigfoot?

Old 13th July 2015, 07:26 PM   #3229
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by RayG View Post
OS, do you consider the PGF the single best piece of evidence for the reality of bigfoot?

If not, what would that single best piece of evidence be?

RayG
It could be the single best piece of evidence. It's either that or the various patterns that can be seen across thousands of reports.
Old 13th July 2015, 07:45 PM   #3230
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Oh yeah, just like this one...

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2015, 09:34 PM   #3231
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

So funny, the Peterson Patterson-Gimlin film is still their best and freshest (scrutable) "evidence". Which only goes to show that apparently there's such low expectations amongst Bigfooters that Bigfoot would actually show up that the best "play" they've come up with to find the elusive Bigfoot is sitting here BLAARGUing with us as to why that's not true by constantly reminding us Bigfoot lives, but never showing us a Bigfoot that lives. It's funnily deranged.
Old 14th July 2015, 02:25 PM   #3232
Loss Leader
Available for Parties

Mod InfoThis thread continues in Part Five
Posted By:Loss Leader

#InviteScalia
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal