IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags UK issues , uk politics

Closed Thread
Old 7th February 2022, 01:59 PM   #1
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

General UK politics [2]

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
And to back up the report JimBob linked to - https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...yny-in-the-met - a first hand account from a woman who was a Met PC for 11 years.
Interesting first hand accounts but this caught my eye “….. I’m desperate for the Met to regain its reputation as one of the most trustworthy forces in the world…..”

When was that halcyon time? The Met was corrupt top to bottom in the 60s, 70s and into 80s, then we got institutional racism.

Mod Infothread continued from here
Posted By:jimbob

Last edited by jimbob; 10th February 2022 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Splitting thread
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th February 2022, 02:45 PM   #2
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Interesting that a detective can be found guilty of gross misconduct for sexual harassment of a mugging victim and yet can get a job as an aide to the head of the Met.

Gross misconduct is grounds for instant dismissal in most organisations.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th February 2022, 03:01 PM   #3
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Interesting first hand accounts but this caught my eye “….. I’m desperate for the Met to regain its reputation as one of the most trustworthy forces in the world…..”

When was that halcyon time? The Met was corrupt top to bottom in the 1860s, 1870s and into 1880s, then we got institutional racism.
FTFY
Old 8th February 2022, 01:29 AM   #4
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

When was that halcyon time? The Met was corrupt top to bottom in the 60s, 70s and into 80s, then we got institutional racism.
Perhaps the word "undeserved" is missing from the highlighted.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th February 2022, 04:30 AM   #5
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

And if you've watched that recent Beeb series about the Nilsen farrago the rampant homophobia and sexism, possibly a hint of discrimination against Scots and Northerners, was also a feature rather than a bug.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th February 2022, 05:25 AM   #6
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
And if you've watched that recent Beeb series about the Nilsen farrago the rampant homophobia and sexism, possibly a hint of discrimination against Scots and Northerners, was also a feature rather than a bug.
And it's not as if the other forces were paragons of virtue. I'm a survivor of James "swirling in a human cesspit of their own making" Anderton's policing in the 80s and 90s. Being spat on by police officers so called "policing" marches and the like was a common experience, along with a minor bit of violence or as often happened especially to youngsters, threatened with arrest or a beating if they didn't shall we say "engage in a sexual act" with an officer.

Nasty times.
Old 10th February 2022, 09:53 AM   #7
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ans-like-putin

Well said.

Quote:
In an opinion article for the Guardian, penned on the way to Brussels where he reaffirmed Labour’s staunch support for Nato, Starmer says Stop the War are “not benign voices for peace”.

“At best they are naive, at worst they actively give succour to authoritarian leaders who directly threaten democracies. There is nothing progressive in showing solidarity with the aggressor when our allies need our solidarity and – crucially – our practical assistance now more than ever,” he said.

He said Putin’s regime would see Stop the War protesters in the UK as “virtue signallers” who were “providing a smokescreen so it can go on beating up and jailing those brave individuals that dare to stand up to its despotism on the streets of Russia”.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2022, 10:36 AM   #8
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

Meanwhile Beth Rigby makes BlowJob look stupid and blustering yet again - chunks of her interview with him re-used on PM, the full gubbins will be somewhere on Sky - how he must hate being made to look stupid by tenacious female interviewers.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2022, 11:33 AM   #9
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

John Major is opposed to democracy says Zac Goldsmith, who lost three elections in the space of four years and was then rewarded with a seat for life in the House Of Lords.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2022, 11:41 AM   #10
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
John Major is opposed to democracy says Zac Goldsmith, who lost three elections in the space of four years and was then rewarded with a seat for life in the House Of Lords.
Zac Goldsmith who ran a complete and utter racist campaign for London Mayor?

Zac Goldsmith who was bumped up to the Lords for being a mate of BlowJob's after he lost his seat?

Zac Goldsmith whose father used his very large piles of cash to try to stifle public debate and any examination of his unelected and unaccountable attempts to influence democratic processes?

That Zac Goldsmith?
Old 10th February 2022, 11:59 AM   #11
Worm
Illuminator

Being reported that Cressida Dick will step down.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-60340525

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2022, 12:03 PM   #12
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Being reported that Cressida Dick will step down.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-60340525
Beat me to it

Old 10th February 2022, 12:10 PM   #13
Worm
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Beat me to it
Early bird etc.

Worm is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2022, 12:18 PM   #14
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Early bird etc.
Oh dear

Old 10th February 2022, 01:38 PM   #15
Garrison
Philosopher

So Saddiq Khan tells her she has to produce a plan rather than just have yet another enquiry and Cressida Dick resigns? Guess having to actually take real action was just too much for her and it turns out cozying up to BoJo couldn't protect her.
Old 10th February 2022, 02:19 PM   #16
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
So Saddiq Khan tells her she has to produce a plan rather than just have yet another enquiry and Cressida Dick resigns? Guess having to actually take real action was just too much for her and it turns out cozying up to BoJo couldn't protect her.
Like with Donald Trump, loyalty is a one-way street. As soon as she started looking into "Partygate" the Tories were done with her.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th February 2022, 03:12 PM   #17
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I'm waiting for the moment Rees-Mogg goes on Newsnight to explain that it's quite usual for a prime minister to run the country from a prison cell.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2022, 02:40 AM   #18
BillC
Bazooka Joe

I'm waiting for the moment Rees-Mogg goes on Newsnight to explain that it's quite usual for a prime minister to run the country from a prison cell.
Hey, you can do it in Monopoly.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2022, 03:02 AM   #19
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
Hey, you can do it in Monopoly.
Johnson certainly thinks he has a Get Out Of Jail Free card, maybe someone gave him a copy of the Monopoly Rules & told him it was Erskine-May?

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2022, 03:15 AM   #20
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Boris Johnson will appoint his own private lawyer if he receives a questionnaire from the police over alleged breaches of lockdown rules

The lawyer will focus on his ‘unique’ legal situation - that No 10 is both his home and workplace

https://thetimes.co.uk/article/73633...0-c48a9935f856

As parties were against the law both at home and at work, does he get fined twice?
Old 11th February 2022, 03:18 AM   #21
Worm
Illuminator

'Unique'? How is it unique? Millions of people have been working from home, and managed to not have a party while doing it.

Even if you could argue that his situation is unique - that his home is also the workplace of lots of other people; which I think is stretching it - his home is really the upstairs flat, not the whole building complex; surely you would want to me MORE careful about social distancing and mixing, not LESS careful.

Old 11th February 2022, 03:19 AM   #22
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Boris Johnson will appoint his own private lawyer if he receives a questionnaire from the police over alleged breaches of lockdown rules

The lawyer will focus on his ‘unique’ legal situation - that No 10 is both his home and workplace

As parties were against the law both at home and at work, does he get fined twice?
...except that he lives at Number 11

I wonder who will pay for this lawyer, will it be the UK public or a Tory donor ? Obviously it won't be Boris Johnson who never pays for anything because he's so poor.
Old 11th February 2022, 05:05 AM   #23
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

"Detectives from the Met special enquiry team will start sending letters to those they believe attended parties and events under investigation, believed to include the prime minister.

Once the replies are received, police will write to the criminal records office who formally issue the fixed penalty notices."

Will start ... once replies are received ...

No hurry, then. And how will these written accounts be verified? What are the odds that recipients will get into a huddle and come up with a plausible-yet-false story?

ffs
Old 11th February 2022, 05:43 AM   #24
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

we've reached the "Find me a lawyer that says it's legal' stage of the Johnson government.

Can't wait for the Press Conference next to a sex shop on a trading estate.
Old 11th February 2022, 05:55 AM   #25
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Johnson’s new comms chief just retweeted someone endorsing John Major’s diatribe against his boss, eventually unretweeted it, then changed his bio to tell people to dismiss any further tweets as not being sent by him
Old 11th February 2022, 05:57 AM   #26
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

@Captain_Swoop

Only the UK could take the old saw about history repeating itself as farce and apply that to Trump's attempts to cling on to power

Old 11th February 2022, 07:34 AM   #27
malbui
Beauf

I do hope that it's not going to be one of those radical lefty lawyers who are clogging up the criminal justice system by presenting defences for their clients. That would be unfortunate.
Old 11th February 2022, 09:05 AM   #28
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
I do hope that it's not going to be one of those radical lefty lawyers who are clogging up the criminal justice system by presenting defences for their clients. That would be unfortunate.
Might it even be a - shudders - human rights lawyer?

I would laugh a lot. Even more than I already do.
Old 11th February 2022, 09:09 AM   #29
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
Nah - they died out after the great reform of 2012.
Old 11th February 2022, 12:35 PM   #30
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

'Unique'? How is it unique? Millions of people have been working from home, and managed to not have a party while doing it.

Even if you could argue that his situation is unique - that his home is also the workplace of lots of other people; which I think is stretching it - his home is really the upstairs flat, not the whole building complex; surely you would want to me MORE careful about social distancing and mixing, not LESS careful.
I think it's unique because no-one else charged was stood on live TV explaining the rules. Johnson thinks it's unique because "He's Boris Johnson, King of the World"

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2022, 01:01 PM   #31
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

@Captain_Swoop

Only the UK could take the old saw about history repeating itself as farce and apply that to Trump's attempts to cling on to power
We're already engaged in "1930's Germany - The Musical Comedy"

Old 11th February 2022, 03:42 PM   #32
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Seems Johnson has received his partygate questionnaire from the Met :

"The Met say the questionnaires ask for an “account and explanation of the recipient’s participation in an event” and have “formal legal status and must be answered truthfully”."

Truthfully.

Haha. Hahahahahahahaha.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh, stop. My poor aching ribs
Old 11th February 2022, 03:53 PM   #33
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

just cast your mind back to 9 weeks ago

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...droidApp_Other

Quote:
“Let me get this straight,” he said. A sure sign he was about to start lying. There again, breathing is also a sure sign Johnson is about to start lying. He was absolutely furious. But only that the video had been leaked. It would have been far better if its existence had never come to light. But now that it had, he was very, very angry with Naughty Allegra Stratton and her mates for undermining lockdown guidelines by being caught practising their excuses for a hypothetical Christmas party.
Johnson had denied any party had taken place.

Old 11th February 2022, 04:16 PM   #34
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

James Oh Brien tweeted
@mrjamesob
·
2h
Your dad’s Facebook is already telling him why Putin’s right to invade Ukraine. Just like it told him Brexit was good, vaccines were bad, Trump was great & Johnson could be trusted. And client journalists on the country’s biggest papers will back up at least three of these lies.
Old 12th February 2022, 07:45 AM   #35
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Deleted
Old 12th February 2022, 10:25 AM   #36
catsmate
No longer the 1

It is in XXXX.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2022, 03:38 PM   #37
Garrison
Philosopher

@Captain_Swoop

This is the country that took the French resistance and the occupation of Europe and turned it into 'Allo, Allo'.

Mod InfoThread drift about Dad's Army and The Secret War split to here.
Posted By:zooterkin

Last edited by zooterkin; 13th February 2022 at 09:39 AM.
Garrison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2022, 03:45 PM   #38
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
This is the country that took the French resistance and the occupation of Europe and turned it into 'Allo, Allo'.
Yes, I found that offensive even as a teenager in the 1980s.

Old 12th February 2022, 04:25 PM   #39
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Johnson employing a lawyer to help with the laughable Met questionnaire.
Like Trump, a man without a single decent quality.
Not one.
A desperate, lying, corrupt, idle, entitled, fraudulent coward.
Old 13th February 2022, 12:15 AM   #40
Mojo
Mostly harmless

The crucial word, as far as Boris is concerned, is not “home” or “workplace”, but “his”. That makes it special.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics