IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Russia-Ukraine war , US-Russia relations , US-Ukraine relations

Old 5th May 2022, 07:42 AM   #1
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Would a Republican government turn its back on Ukraine?

Suppose Republicans take the House and Senate by 2024. Suppose that Donald Trump wins a second term. Suppose further that the war in Ukraine remains just as hot by that time.

Would a Republican-controlled government stifle aid to Ukraine? Would sanctions against Russia be reversed? Would Trump try to pull us out of NATO?

I have my own thoughts on the matter, but I'll let others comment.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 07:43 AM   #2
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

The moment the check clears.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 07:48 AM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

No.
Old 5th May 2022, 07:50 AM   #4
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Depends on what they can leverage out of Ukraine by withholding aide. That is a legal and accepted strategy for the republican party after all.

The question is clearly how much the want things from Ukraine and if Ukraine will give into their demands.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 08:00 AM   #5
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Of course.

The current support comes from pressure by the 'defense' industry, which delights in upgrading the equipment of NATO countries which have sent their outdated equipment to Ukraine. But that not going to continue.
Arguably, US weapons manufacturers will make more money if Ukraine loses than if it wins.

And, of course, the GQP Patron Saint Donald, First Of His Name, will get behind Putin's ass as soon as expedient, and the rest of the GQP will pretend that they never liked Ukraine in the first place.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 08:01 AM   #6
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

In a goddamn heartbeat.
Old 5th May 2022, 08:53 AM   #7
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I think a Republican Congress will stop aiding Ukraine. I think a President Trump will declare war on Ukraine.
Old 5th May 2022, 08:54 AM   #8
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I think a Republican Congress will stop aiding Ukraine. I think a President Trump will declare war on Ukraine.
You mean glorious President Trump will remind us that we've always been at war with Ukraine.
Old 5th May 2022, 08:57 AM   #9
SuburbanTurkey

To my eye, the Republicans are quite split on the issue. There's still plenty of anti-Russia sentiment in the more long-timer wings of the party, but Trump's little clique of neo-fascists are much more open to an isolationist world view, plus you have to consider how Ukraine/Russia play into all the various Q conspiracy theories.

If Trump were leading it I think it's very hard to predict considering how easily persuaded he seems to be on issues that aren't his personal hobbyhorses.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 5th May 2022 at 08:59 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 09:51 AM   #10
crescent
Illuminator

Yes or no.

It just depends on which Conspiracy Theory they go with. That's not something that can be predicted with much confidence, but the CT movement generally leans pro-Russian.

And more and more the Republican Party is becoming the Conspiracy Theory party. There are still many GOP politicians who have opinions based on actual facts or philosophy or tradition or what, but the CT wing of the party gets stronger everyday.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 11:10 AM   #11
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Suppose Republicans take the House and Senate by 2024. Suppose that Donald Trump wins a second term. Suppose further that the war in Ukraine remains just as hot by that time.

Would a Republican-controlled government stifle aid to Ukraine? Would sanctions against Russia be reversed? Would Trump try to pull us out of NATO?

I expect that it all depends upon which way Trump decides to jump.

If Trump goes back to his original Putin butt-kissing, then I expect that nearly all of the Republicans will turn against Ukraine.

On the other hand, if Trump decides to stand up to Putin for once, then I expect that nearly all of the other Republicans will support Ukraine.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.

Last edited by Crossbow; 5th May 2022 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Typo correction
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 11:22 AM   #12
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

"Trump Towers Moscow"

That's literally all it would take.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 11:29 AM   #13
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The ******* ground level Maga idiots will believe whatever they are told to believe.
Old 5th May 2022, 11:48 AM   #14
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Yes or no.

It just depends on which Conspiracy Theory they go with. That's not something that can be predicted with much confidence, but the CT movement generally leans pro-Russian.

And more and more the Republican Party is becoming the Conspiracy Theory party. There are still many GOP politicians who have opinions based on actual facts or philosophy or tradition or what, but the CT wing of the party gets stronger everyday.
This is pretty close to my thoughts.

Others have pointed out that Ukraine support polls highly (even among Republicans), but the right-wing populace has been an extremely fickle and unprincipled lot. Personal moral issues (such as marital infidelity) used to be a major qualification for a Republican candidate. Now, the right will look the other way. Balancing the budget used to be paramount. Now, they'll gladly blow it up.

I can easily imagine a series of events going like this:

1. Some rando on Twitter makes up a conspiracy theory that Zelensky stole the 2020 election for Biden.
2. Tucker Carlson reports on it like it's a fact.
3. The claim becomes God's honest truth as far as right-wing social media is concerned.
4. Trump shares it on his (Musk-restored) Twitter account.
5. Republicans fall in line, and Ukraine becomes the enemy of the people.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 11:49 AM   #15
angrysoba
Philosophile

If Trump wins the presidency, the entire GOP (except maybe one or two members of Congress) would follow his lead whatever that is. If he said “Zelenskyy didn’t help me with my campaign. Can you believe that? He did a lot of bad things. A LOT of bad things. I can’t tell you how bad but when I spoke to Vlad, he said Sir! - he called me sir - he said Sir, there’s a lot of Nazis in Ukraine. A lot of Nazis. Nobody knows this but Russia was in a war against the Nazis back in World War Two - they were on our side, on our side! Nobody knows this but it’s true. And Hunter Biden was helping the Nazis. I would have won - well I did win - but I would have won even bigger without Zelensky….”

Tucker Carlson will go full on Triumph of the Will.

Also, has DeSantis said anything about Ukraine? Seems he has only said that it is Biden’s fault.

I expect either Trump or DeSantis will run with Tulsi Gabbard as their running mate.
Old 5th May 2022, 11:53 AM   #16
angrysoba
Philosophile

Others have pointed out that Ukraine support polls highly (even among Republicans), but the right-wing populace has been an extremely fickle and unprincipled lot. Personal moral issues (such as marital infidelity) used to be a major qualification for a Republican candidate. Now, the right will look the other way. Balancing the budget used to be paramount. Now, they'll gladly blow it up.

I can easily imagine a series of events going like this:

1. Some rando on Twitter makes up a conspiracy theory that Zelensky stole the 2020 election for Biden.
2. Tucker Carlson reports on it like it's a fact.
3. The claim becomes God's honest truth as far as right-wing social media is concerned.
4. Trump shares it on his (Musk-restored) Twitter account.
5. Republicans fall in line, and Ukraine becomes the enemy of the people.
Cross-posted but pretty much exactly this, although with DeSantis as a spare.
Old 5th May 2022, 11:57 AM   #17
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I expect that it all depends upon which way Trump decides to jump.

If Trump goes back to his original Putin butt-kissing, then I expect that nearly all of the Republicans will turn against Ukraine.

On the other hand, if Trump decides to stand up to Putin for once, then I expect that nearly all of the other Republicans will support Ukraine.
Pretty much true, but there is one more issue to consider. Putin, or at least his government, is pretty much an ideological twin to the US religious right. Most of the things the religious right are tying to push though in the US have been implemented in Russia over the last 2 decades. This includes laws restricting people from even talking about the existence gay and transgender people, integration of religion into government policy and more restrictive abortion laws.
Old 5th May 2022, 12:25 PM   #18
Galaxie
Graduate Poster

Yes, to turning their back on Ukraine

Yes, to pulling out of NATO

Anyone who thinks they wouldn't do it is lying to themself
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 12:31 PM   #19
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
Yes, to turning their back on Ukraine

Yes, to pulling out of NATO

Anyone who thinks they wouldn't do it is lying to themself
They would pull out of the UN if Trump says the word.
Old 5th May 2022, 01:02 PM   #20
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Trump would pull out of Ukraine faster than he pulled out of Stormy Daniels.
Old 5th May 2022, 01:02 PM   #21
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

100% yes. The Orange Blob would want revenge on Zelenskyy for not folding to his extortion attempts by providing him with the dirt he wanted on Biden
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 01:40 PM   #22
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
To my eye, the Republicans are quite split on the issue.
They were also "split on the issue" about what to do about Trump post Jan6. And we all see how that worked out.

Never dismiss a republican's willingness to abandon any principles or integrity in the pursuit of power in the easiest manner.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 01:41 PM   #23
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Also Republicans are masters at being a split party... right up until the second it actually matters or makes a difference of any kind.
Old 5th May 2022, 04:29 PM   #24
Tero
Master Poster

Sure. No John McCain left.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 05:14 PM   #25
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
They would pull out of the UN if Trump says the word.
Most of them have wanted to do that for decades anyhow.
Old 5th May 2022, 09:20 PM   #26
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

ANd then they can watch the American economy collapse because America will become a pariah nation.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 01:04 AM   #27
Lennart Hyland
Muse

They somewhat turned their back to the Kurds right?

Unfortunately the 911truth movement web site does not allow any opinions contrary to their own, or I would have presented my views. David Scott - CTBUH Chairman
Lennart Hyland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 01:23 AM   #28
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Yes.

Here’s why.

Imagine it is July 2018 and you are V. Putin.
You are about to go into a two hour meeting with #45 and none of his aides will be present.

Which of the following things would you not say?

1 Donald, you and I are two of the most powerful people in the history of the world
2 and we each started with nothing only to rise to to very top
3 you and I are two people who know what it is like for every woman in the world to want to have sex with us
4 your cabinet and staff cannot understand how great a person you are -they can fathom the depths of your genius
5 therefore it is your job to tell them the best approach to every issue. You cannot rely on the limited minds of the little people. Giants like you and I have all the answers.
6 these little people will try to destroy you by telling lies. For instance, the lie that I interfered in the 2016 election and that I will interfere in the 2020 election.
7 I’ve set aside some prime real estate in central Moscow for you to build Trump Tower. I look forward to living in that building.

……
Now, why would President Chucklehead ever stop worshipping Putin?
FFS, #45 called the invasion a genius maneuver. How could anyone doubt where #45’s loyalties lie?

Last edited by Ladewig; 6th May 2022 at 01:24 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 03:00 AM   #29
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I think you have their decision making order mixed up.
First they make the decision, based on contrarianism rather than policy then they generate\recycle the conspiracy theories
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 05:03 AM   #30
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I think a Republican Congress will stop aiding Ukraine. I think a President Trump will declare war on Ukraine Utah.
FTFY - can't expect him to read the teleprompter.
Old 6th May 2022, 07:01 AM   #31
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
FTFY - can't expect him to read the teleprompter.
It doesn't display a crayon-generated childish scrawl.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 07:42 AM   #32
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
I think you have their decision making order mixed up.
First they make the decision, based on contrarianism rather than policy then they generate\recycle the conspiracy theories
Old 8th May 2022, 01:41 AM   #33
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Would that be before, during, or after Trump fires Patriot missiles into Mexico's drug labs?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2022, 06:15 AM   #34
SteveAitch
Muse

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Would that be before, during, or after Trump fires Patriot missiles into Mexico's drug labs?
Simultaneously - he's a great multi-tasker, the best. Poeple have told him so. "Sir," they have said, they always call him 'Sir', "You are the best multi-tasker in the world!".

Some people call me 'strange'. I prefer 'unconventional'. But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'...
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 12:33 PM   #35
Nosi
Master Poster

Angry

America would turn its aid over to Russia or more specifically Putin as he is the undeclared leader of the Republican Party. Women and minorities would lose most rights they have in the USA, and in the case of women, several states will revoke a pregnant woman's right to life should she make the mistake and turn up with an ectopic pregnancy.

https://www.insider.com/missouri-see...ew-bill-2022-3

Note, in most cases, unless you get rid of the misplaced fetus, ectopic pregnancies are fatal.

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 12:36 PM   #36
Nosi
Master Poster

Wink

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Trump will never turn on Putin, as Putin knows where the "bodies are buried" including the underage girls.

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 12:39 PM   #37
Nosi
Master Poster

Polls, and elections will mean nothing in a Republican controlled government, as the old guard will be rounded up and silenced.

Hiding from the
Old 12th May 2022, 12:42 PM   #38
Nosi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Trump would pull out of Ukraine faster than he pulled out of Stormy Daniels.

Hiding from the
Old 12th May 2022, 08:59 PM   #39
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a good backgrounder on US support for Ukraine over the last decade or so. Spoiler:

Obama was much worse on arms sales to Ukraine than Trump, even in the aftermath of the annexation of the Crimea.

Quote:
Then-president Barack Obama, while providing millions of dollars in aid, resisted sending lethal support, fearing that such a military buildup might provoke Putin to strike.
Snip

Quote:
Yet in 2018, with Donald Trump as president, the U.S. reversed course and agreed to provide Ukraine with $47 million worth of lethal weapons, which included 210 Javelin anti-tank missiles and 37 launchers.

Now you can argue that you'd don't poke the bear, but then why is Biden willing to do so?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 09:31 PM   #40
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Now you can argue that you'd don't poke the bear, but then why is Biden willing to do so?
Gee, I wonder what might have changed... something within the last several months?
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics