IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th May 2022, 12:01 PM   #1
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Setting up domain name, email, etc.

I'm trying to help out a friend who wants to do the following:

1) buy a domain name, example.com
2) set up a few webmail accounts (bob@example.com, help@examle.com)
3) have a website hosted (www.example.com)
4) retain the ability to move the hosted email and website to another provider

I'm an ex-tech guy (devops, SRE) and have done al the above before and understand the technical aspects, but I'm somewhat rusty on the providers of the above services - so looking for recommendations.

I assume there are one stop shops now that provide all the above as a package deal? We don't need the website to be developed (just simple hosted html), and we also don't really need separate email boxes. In other words, the email addresses can all go to the same inbox.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
Old 5th May 2022, 12:11 PM   #2
plague311
Great minds think...

Office 365 allows you to create an email address and add aliases to them. I have one main email and then I have help@, admin@, support@ all as aliases. It's cheap, I think my license for 1 account cost me like $50 a year or something.

The website hosting is a bit outside my knowledge because my buddy hosts mine. I'd say godaddy would probably be able to do most of what you're looking for, but I'm a huge fan of the ease of use and simplicity of O365 rather than godaddys email. If you use 365 you can change your hosting provider to anyone because it'll just read the mx record to send the email.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 5th May 2022 at 12:12 PM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 01:35 PM   #3
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

hostgator and/or godaddy or a mix of the two are perfectly fine.

If you're going for simplicity can stop reading now.

One question that could throw a monkey wrench though: Do you have a machine (could be virtual or real) that has a static IP with potentially open ports? By open ports I mean, will your ISP allow you to host a website? Some (most?) ISPs residential services don't allow the ports that would normally host a website or e-mail relay.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 05:30 AM   #4
Donal
Illuminator

I use Hostgator. Web hosting is one of those industries where you see a thousand different brands, but they are all just under the same 2 or 3 companies.

It all depends on what your friend wants to do. Is this just for hosting email? Is it a blog? Any service can host that for you. Unless it gets really big.

If they want to do e-commerce or host an app or service, then things get a little complicated.
Old 8th May 2022, 10:33 AM   #5
MinnesotaBrant
Philosopher

I too am running down this alley. I got an idea to sell my moms paintings in a website and first thought of doing a pre made one. I read further and learned that they are slow and don’t play well with phones. I looked at codeacademy and see that a web devopment course is 6 months. I am also going to start a business. Any ideas? Also can I deduct a printer, laptop, and web development lessons even though the startup might be a year out?
Old 8th May 2022, 11:30 AM   #6
MinnesotaBrant
Philosopher

I hired a web development tutor from Pakistan to help me build a website. He is 10 bucks an hour so more expensive than code academy but it will get done quicker. Thinking of doing both. According to my coworker, squarespace is the answer to all my needs

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 8th May 2022 at 01:00 PM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2022, 06:03 AM   #7
Wudang
BOFH

I've used Ionos for quite a few years. Originally when email addresses were largely via your ISP and so you had to change when you moved ISPs. I set it to redirect mail to my gmail address, and the same for email accounts for my family. The domain itself I set up a redirect on the control panel so it redirects to my facebook page. I have a couple of email accounts that stay with the domain that I use to signup for various things like "free book when you register" etc offers.
I haven't used it but checking their site it looks moving domain names to a new provider works like moving a mobile phone number.
Cost is 12 UKP per annum.
Old 10th May 2022, 09:26 PM   #8
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
I hired a web development tutor from Pakistan to help me build a website. He is 10 bucks an hour so more expensive than code academy but it will get done quicker. Thinking of doing both. According to my coworker, squarespace is the answer to all my needs
In your case I'd use an existing storefront service, which one I do not know. Many if not most people use their phones to surf, I wouldn't worry about incompatibility. Sounds like ******** to me.

They aren't any slower than hosting one at SiteGround or Godaddy. Some may be but do some research. For what you want to do it will be fine.

I suggest not building your own website to sell something unless you have experience doing so. Even then it is a waste of time unless you want to be a web developer. Spend that time making money instead.

We hired a guy on an online freelance site to do one of our websites. Cheap and unreliable. You get what you pay for. Guess who does it now? Gawd I hate web design, I just do.
Old 11th May 2022, 08:28 AM   #9
Wudang
BOFH

I use Android phone, Android table, linux laptop and Windows desktop with a ton of browsers. The only compatibility issues I see are some sites don't work with the Brave browser. If I really am interested I fire up another, usually I'm not.

I wouldn't get someone to teach you how to build a site for selling stuff. There are big pitfalls and you'll have some painful learning experiences - use a site all the bugs and weaknesses have already been found and patched.
Go on Udemy and look for sales. They always have sales. They're cool about giving refunds even when my only complaint was I couldn't handle the way the guy pronounced "algorithm" - "ahgreem" sorry. no.
Old 13th May 2022, 12:35 PM   #10
Donal
Illuminator

The business end of the store is going to be enough of a hassle. You don't want to be bogged down in the technical details. Especially since you are going to be dealing with way more liability. Go with a well-known and trusted vendor to make your storefront.
Old 13th May 2022, 12:49 PM   #11
Childlike Empress
Suspended

It is literally the most basic service one could ask for. I pay around 6€ a month for my several domains including e-mail services (no heavy traffic, though).
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2022, 12:54 PM   #12
BowlOfRed
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
I too am running down this alley. I got an idea to sell my moms paintings in a website and first thought of doing a pre made one. I read further and learned that they are slow and don’t play well with phones. I looked at codeacademy and see that a web devopment course is 6 months. I am also going to start a business. Any ideas? Also can I deduct a printer, laptop, and web development lessons even though the startup might be a year out?
My mom sold paintings for a long time. Only go down that road if you're really interested in doing that work, not if you're trying to sell paintings.

* check galleries. See if any want to host/sell the paintings. There's a cut, but it's a lot easier than doing all the work yourself. Is your mom still painting? With good relationships, you can hear about (worthwhile) commissions this way.
* check similar artists. See who they're using for web storefronts. If it looks good and it's not a 100% custom thing for them, you might be able to use it as well.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2022, 05:34 PM   #13
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

Ever thought about eBay?
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2022, 05:55 PM   #14
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Lots of ideas I'm running with. Thanks to all who have commented.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet