IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th June 2022, 10:29 PM   #1
Iamafalser
Thinker

Should illegals get a pass on vax requirements?

Current US policy is that in order to enter the country legally you need to provide proof of COVID vaccination in order to get a visa.

However, if you enter the country illegally then you are not required to be vaccinated.

Please explain how this policy makes any sense.

Last edited by Iamafalser; 18th June 2022 at 10:31 PM.
Iamafalser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2022, 10:46 PM   #2
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This might be a bigger deal if all the alt-right idiots in the country weren't refusing to get vaccinated.

How does that make sense?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2022, 11:11 PM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

You really want to use undocumented migrants to spread the Vaccine Virus? You want to give Bill Gates full control over them via 5G?
If you force them to stay unvaccinated, you could increase the heathy, natural herd immunity of all people in the United States.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2022, 11:25 PM   #4
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Uhh, they are illegal. They do not get a pass. They simply don't follow the rules.

Hans
Old 19th June 2022, 12:23 AM   #5
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Iamafalser View Post
Current US policy is that in order to enter the country legally you need to provide proof of COVID vaccination in order to get a visa.

However, if you enter the country illegally then you are not required to be vaccinated.

Please explain how that post makes any sense.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 12:23 AM   #6
Mojo
Mostly harmless

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 01:52 AM   #7
Mr Fied
Muse

If you need this explained, illegal immigrants are the least of your worries.
Mr Fied is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 02:32 AM   #8
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Define "entering the country illegally" in your own terms.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 02:35 AM   #9
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Mr Fied View Post

Wait until he finds out that murderers don’t have to carry out risk assessments for their victims.

Old 19th June 2022, 03:27 AM   #10
Random
Illuminator

They don't get a pass on vaccine requirements. If a facility of business says they need to present proof of vaccination, they need to present proof of vaccination.
Old 19th June 2022, 05:14 AM   #11
arayder
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Wait until he finds out that murderers don’t have to carry out risk assessments for their victims.
. . .And armed convenience store robbers in California often don't follow the state's laws regarding magazine capacity.

-------------
Dope Clock II: It's been 370 days since Bobby Menard announced plans to create "Artists Valley". So far all he has done is lie through his teeth
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 05:56 AM   #12
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Uhh, they are illegal.
Uh, no human is illegal, bro.
Old 19th June 2022, 07:35 AM   #13
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
This.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 08:07 AM   #14
angrysoba
Philosophile

Huh?
Old 19th June 2022, 08:13 AM   #15
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
This.
The phrase was referring to their immigration status.
Old 19th June 2022, 08:37 AM   #16
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

However, quite a few do illegal things.

Hans
Old 19th June 2022, 09:12 AM   #17
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

If you're genuinely concerned about containing the spread of a disease the answer is to provide vaccinations for everybody, regardless of all other circumstances.
Old 19th June 2022, 09:19 AM   #18
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The phrase was referring to their immigration status.
Then learn proper grammar?

The phrasing, as presented, declares the person themselves as illegal.

Our Constitution forbids bills of attainder for this exact reason.

"A person who entered the country unlawfully" is the phrase you're looking for (because even using "illegal" in that sense is incorrect).

I've never in my life heard even raping, murdering cannibals referred to as "an illegal" so I suspect this is exactly what it appears to be: a vicious pejorative applied for reasons other than their behavior.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 19th June 2022 at 09:21 AM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 09:28 AM   #19
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Certainly, the OP referred to people who "entered illegally". So with that stated, I find it OK to, for short, to refer to them as illegals. Just as we may refer to people who committed a crime as 'criminals'.

Anyway, I suspect the opening poster might be referred to as a 'drive-by' troll, especially if you try to actually pronounce their user handle.

Hans
Old 19th June 2022, 09:37 AM   #20
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Then learn proper grammar?

The phrasing, as presented, declares the person themselves as illegal.

...snip...
Or perhaps read with slightly more attention?
Old 19th June 2022, 10:32 AM   #21
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Certainly, the OP referred to people who "entered illegally". So with that stated, I find it OK to, for short, to refer to them as illegals. Just as we may refer to people who committed a crime as 'criminals'.

Anyway, I suspect the opening poster might be referred to as a 'drive-by' troll, especially if you try to actually pronounce their user handle.

Hans
This is what drew objection:
Uhh, they are illegal. They do not get a pass. They simply don't follow the rules.

Hans
Hilite mine, emphasis in original.
Old 19th June 2022, 10:33 AM   #22
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Or perhaps read with slightly more attention?
Or perhaps stop defending bigots with feigned ignorance and pearl clutching concerns about "civility?"

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 19th June 2022 at 10:35 AM.
Old 19th June 2022, 10:53 AM   #23
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mr Fied View Post
This.

Hans
I see nothing wrong with your post. It's understood you are referring to their legal status, not them as a person. The criticism smacks of simple virtue signaling.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 11:01 AM   #24
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
This.

I see nothing wrong with your post. It's understood you are referring to their legal status, not them as a person. The criticism smacks of simple virtue signaling.
Right. I suppose if one were writing an essay or a magazine article it would be appropriate to point out that the expression is not optimal, but in the context of a forum thread, especially in the context of pointing out the utter absurdity of the initial post, it's picking the wrong nit.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 11:13 AM   #25
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Or perhaps stop defending bigots with feigned ignorance and pearl clutching concerns about "civility?"
Like I said you should try to read for understanding.
Old 19th June 2022, 11:24 AM   #26
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Right. I suppose if one were writing an essay or a magazine article it would be appropriate to point out that the expression is not optimal, but in the context of a forum thread, especially in the context of pointing out the utter absurdity of the initial post, it's picking the wrong nit.
It can also be used as a noun referring to an illegal immigrant according to Merriam Webster, MacMillan, Oxford Learner's, Cambridge et al dictionaries.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 11:44 AM   #27
sackett
Philosopher

At the border:

Agent: Next! Okay, are you legal or illegal?
Immigrant: Illegal.
Agent (checking off box): And what's your vaccine status?
Immigrant: I don't need no steenking vaccine.
Agent (triumphantly): Oh yes you do! Getcher ass over to that table 'n put out a vein!
Immigrant: Hey, I got rights!
Agent (grudgingly): Well, muh, yeah, 's true, ya got me there. But! (shouting at the departing immigrant's wet back) After the midterms, you better watch out!

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.

Last edited by sackett; 19th June 2022 at 11:45 AM.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 11:48 AM   #28
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Another way to approach the same question: Should people who enter the country illegally be summarily deported if they cannot show proof of vaccination?

Or, even more simply, should people who enter the country illegally be summarily deported?
Old 19th June 2022, 11:49 AM   #29
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Like I said you should try to read for understanding.
I'll maintain I understood the intent just fine.
Old 19th June 2022, 12:35 PM   #30
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yet another way to approach the question: If proof of of vaccination isn't a hard stop for illegal immigration, why should it be a hard stop for legal immigration?

Or, even more simply, if illegal immigration isn't a hard stop, why are any legal immigration applicants languishing at the border at all?
Old 19th June 2022, 01:43 PM   #31
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
... I see nothing wrong with your post. It's understood you are referring to their legal status, not them as a person. The criticism smacks of simple virtue signaling.
And for a third POV: Virtue signaling goes both ways when referring to people being illegals and sometimes when objecting to it. The OP was virtue signaling.

Twelve Examples of Virtue Signaling See the examples: Slacktivism, Self-Righteousness and Political Correctness.

Which is a dilemma for some of us because when we ignore framing it allows the message to filter through loud and clear. I suppose the compromise is to not point out the error but rather just use proper framing ourselves: they are not illegal people, they crossed the border or overstayed their visa illegally.

Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 02:49 PM   #32
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Another way to approach the same question: Should people who enter the country illegally be summarily deported if they cannot show proof of vaccination?

Or, even more simply, should people who enter the country illegally be summarily deported?
Depends on the situation. I don't believe "Dreamers" should be summarily deported at all unless they are proved to have committed a serious crime. Not getting vaxxed isn't a crime.
Old 19th June 2022, 06:00 PM   #33
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Why not just vaccinate EVERY immigrant, regardless of how they entered. Don't even check their previous status, make it mandatory on arrival and note this on their record. Then you know for sure that they ARE vaccinated.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 12:22 AM   #34
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

This is what drew objection:

Hilite mine, emphasis in original.
Yes, and I addrssed that.

Hans
Old 20th June 2022, 12:38 AM   #35
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Why not just vaccinate EVERY immigrant, regardless of how they entered. Don't even check their previous status, make it mandatory on arrival and note this on their record. Then you know for sure that they ARE vaccinated.
Well, perhaps you are joking, but it vould seem that illegal immigrants are unlikely to show up anyplace where you can demand they get vaccinated. They either cross the border secretly, or enter with tourist visas and fail to leave.

The problem would seem to be rhat authrities simply cant just contact them.

All that said, isn't this a rater minor problem? If there are so many illigal immigrants in a country that their vaccination status is a general heath issue, I think there will be worse problems.

Hans

Last edited by MRC_Hans; 20th June 2022 at 12:39 AM.
MRC_Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 12:48 AM   #36
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Well, perhaps you are joking, but it vould seem that illegal immigrants are unlikely to show up anyplace where you can demand they get vaccinated. They either cross the border secretly, or enter with tourist visas and fail to leave.

The problem would seem to be rhat authrities simply cant just contact them.

All that said, isn't this a rater minor problem? If there are so many illigal immigrants in a country that their vaccination status is a general heath issue, I think there will be worse problems.

Hans
There are far more unvaccinated conservatives in this country than unvaccinated illegal immigrants because of "mah freedoms" and "secret plots" against red blooded Americans.
Old 20th June 2022, 06:02 AM   #37
arayder
Master Poster

Sometimes the phony victimhood drips off what people say. . .

"How come the blacks get a history month and the rest of us don't?"

"The girls get Title IX, but we don't get squat."

"My mamma packed my baloney sandwich every day when I was a kid! What's all this free lunch stuff?"

So now, having found the last bitch and moan slip in the "It ain't fair jar" the OP is makes a sad whine about illegal aliens not being required to be vaccinated before they sneak across the boarder.

-------------
Dope Clock II: It's been 371 days since Bobby Menard announced plans to create "Artists Valley". So far all he has done is lie through his teeth.

Last edited by arayder; 20th June 2022 at 06:07 AM.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 06:20 AM   #38
plague311
Great minds think...

I'm interested in these "worse problems" you're referring to, and would like to see an example.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 06:55 AM   #39
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I've started a response to this post several times, but I keep getting tripped up on the idea that there is a set of screening rules for legal entry and a separate set of screening rules for illegal entry, as if people sneaking into the country went through designated checkpoints for health screenings before sneaking in.
Old 20th June 2022, 07:33 AM   #40
arayder
Master Poster

During the potato famine many Irish who emigrated to the U.S. showed up at our shores disease ridden, often a result of years of malnourishment. The circumstances encouraged, among the bigoted, a prejudicial view of the Irish as a race of disease carrying sub-humans.

I like to think that if I was around in 1840 or so I'd be helping, if even in a small way, to feed and heal the Irish who came here.

Legalities aside, I don't see how this situation is that much different.

Consider that the answer comes through vaccines, food, water, medicine and a caring attitude.

-------------
Dope Clock II: It's been 371 days since Bobby Menard announced plans to create "Artists Valley". So far all he has done is lie through his teeth.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics