IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th November 2022, 06:49 PM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

World population to reach 8 billion today

Yes, of course that is only an estimate. On an average day about 385,000 babies are born and 185,000 people die, resulting in a net increase of roughly 200,000 people per day.

If you look at this site:

https://www.worldometers.info/

The population as I write this is 7,999,952,800 or so and rising. It should top 8 billion in a few hours. The number is based on U.N. estimates.

Apparently the U.N. like to pick a baby at random born today and declare that "this is the 8 billionth baby". They did it for the 5th, 6th, and 7th billion.
Old 14th November 2022, 06:57 PM   #2
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
So, what if the baby that is the 8 billionth person is born but then in the next hundredth of a second somebody dies, and the count drops to 7,999,999,999? This is especially unfair to the next baby if there's a big prize involved!
Old 14th November 2022, 07:02 PM   #3
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Here's a relevant extract from the linked article:

Quote:
Thirty-five years later the world's five-billionth baby is trying to forget his ceremonious entry into the world. His Facebook page suggests he's living in Zagreb, happily married and working as a chemical engineer. But he avoids interviews and declined to speak to the BBC.

"Well, I don't blame him," Alex says, remembering the media circus of Matej's first day.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2022, 07:16 PM   #4
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Life ain't fair. It's good to learn that lesson early on.

I find it amazing to contemplate that the population is increasing by 200,000 people every day. That's a medium-sized city every single day.

The county where I was born, Tompkins County, New York, has a population of 105,000. That means that the population is increasing by about two Tompkins Counties every day.
Old 14th November 2022, 07:23 PM   #5
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

The population has more than doubled in my lifetime. I certainly haven't made any contributions, I blame the rest of you.
Old 14th November 2022, 07:28 PM   #6
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

I find it amazing to contemplate that the population is increasing by 200,000 people every day. That's a medium-sized city every single day.

The county where I was born, Tompkins County, New York, has a population of 105,000. That means that the population is increasing by about two Tompkins Counties every day.
That can't be right. At that rate, there must be thousands of Tompkins Counties. You'd think at least they could give them each a unique name!
Old 14th November 2022, 08:49 PM   #7
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

This reminds me that we are just a bacterial colony infecting this planet.
Old 15th November 2022, 02:36 AM   #8
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Just rechecked. Over 8 billion now.
Old 15th November 2022, 02:38 AM   #9
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
The population has more than doubled in my lifetime.
Me too. It was 3.6 billion in 1970, the year I was born
Old 15th November 2022, 02:42 AM   #10
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

It will start reducing when I die.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2022, 02:48 AM   #11
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I'm not sure how reliable Worldometer is - I see they show urban population as static since 1988: https://www.worldometers.info/world-...ation-by-year/

That said, there's no doubt that if you're 70 or over, the population has trebled in your lifetime.

Crazy.
Old 15th November 2022, 02:50 AM   #12
Olmstead
Graduate Poster

More puppets for the abattoir of the universe.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2022, 02:50 AM   #13
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
The population has more than doubled in my lifetime. I certainly haven't made any contributions, I blame the rest of you.
Lionking and I are responsible for an entire soccer team between us, and I'm pretty sure that if Arthwollipot joined in, we'd have a rugby team.

We're definitely to blame.
Old 15th November 2022, 03:07 AM   #14
wobs
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Lionking and I are responsible for an entire soccer team between us, and I'm pretty sure that if Arthwollipot joined in, we'd have a rugby team.

Or more potential problem solvers.
Old 15th November 2022, 03:11 AM   #15
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

And future generations will be thanking us for countering the reduction of the population in years to come.

As I have pointed out many times, the biggest threat to the continuance of the human race is the declining birth rate.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2022, 03:41 AM   #16
wobs
Master Poster

Ubiquitous link to the late great Hans Rosling's presentation on world population:
https://www.gapminder.org/videos/don...ut-population/
Old 15th November 2022, 06:58 PM   #17
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Hey, I reproduced below replacement rate. Don't drag me into your sports metaphors!
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2022, 07:53 PM   #18
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
As I have pointed out many times, the biggest threat to the continuance of the human race is the declining birth rate.
That is just vertical thinking.

Exponential population growth is unsustainable and we need solutions that don't require even more population growth.
Old 15th November 2022, 08:22 PM   #19
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
That is just vertical thinking.

Exponential population growth is unsustainable and we need solutions that don't require even more population growth.
You should know that the population growth is declining and will be negative well before this century is over. Exponential growth is a figment of your imagination.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 15th November 2022, 08:48 PM   #20
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

You should know that the population growth is declining and will be negative well before this century is over. Exponential growth is a figment of your imagination.
80 years is a lot of time for population growth and you are arguing that the world population should continue to grow exponentially.
Old 15th November 2022, 08:51 PM   #21
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Do you even bother to read posts? I said well before the century is over. Some forecasts show peak population around 2050. And where have I advocated for exponential growth?

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 15th November 2022, 09:39 PM   #22
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Do you even bother to read posts? I said well before the century is over. Some forecasts show peak population around 2050. And where have I advocated for exponential growth?
If the birth rate doesn't decline then you get exponential growth and you have described a declining birth rate as "the biggest threat to the continuance of the human race".
Old 15th November 2022, 10:03 PM   #23
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

If the birth rate doesn't decline then you get exponential growth and you have described a declining birth rate as "the biggest threat to the continuance of the human race".
When the growth rate goes below zero (and it will) then we have the problem of a rapidly ageing population and a reducing number of young people unwilling to support older people.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 15th November 2022, 10:04 PM   #24
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Get some facts, man!

Birth rates have declined to about 2.5 GLOBALLY.
We have reached Peak child population a while ago.
The only reason we see population growth is Extended Lifespan!

So the only way to fight your kind of exponential population growth would be mass scale murder.

You up for it?
Old 16th November 2022, 02:27 AM   #25
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Fascinating how careless we are.
Thinking carbon foot print of even Mega fauna..
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2022, 02:36 AM   #26
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Fascinating how careless we are.
Thinking carbon foot print of even Mega fauna..
So what’s your solution?

Mine is do nothing as the problem will fix itself soon enough and the issue will be then to prevent a collapse of the world’s population.

I know some foolish people dream of a world population of a couple of hundred million, ignoring the fact that the world can support many billions. And of course these people imagine they or their ancestors will be part of the lucky survivors.

Meanwhile in the real world, while things are far from perfect, a much smaller population world would be horrendous.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 16th November 2022, 03:16 AM   #27
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

“The future is already here – it's just not evenly distributed." -William Gibson

many solutions or adaptions to the climate change are already happening, or are a no-brainer once people get their head in the game.
Old 16th November 2022, 07:32 AM   #28
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I vaguely remember in middle school seeing one of those scholastic news magazines for kids, with a drawing on the cover of the Earth and the numbers 4 billion and 7 billion. I think we were approaching 4 billion, and 7 billion was projected for... the year 2000, maybe? I remember wondering how we were all going to fit.
Old 16th November 2022, 08:49 AM   #29
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

So what’s your solution?

Mine is do nothing as the problem will fix itself soon enough and the issue will be then to prevent a collapse of the world’s population.

I know some foolish people dream of a world population of a couple of hundred million, ignoring the fact that the world can support many billions. And of course these people imagine they or their ancestors will be part of the lucky survivors.

Meanwhile in the real world, while things are far from perfect, a much smaller population world would be horrendous.
I don't know about yours, but of my ancestors, only my mother is alive. And with kidney function at 6% I'm not sure how much longer before my last ancestor is gone.
Old 16th November 2022, 08:53 AM   #30
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

*Groans* The amount of try hard edgelord "People suck, we need a new plague" hot takes the internet has come up with since this news was announced is pathetic.
Old 16th November 2022, 09:04 AM   #31
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

"look, there are two proven ways to reduce population growth: decrease infant and maternity death, improve education and healthcare OR exploit and enslave a population and steal all their food. Option 1 seems like a lot of work."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events