IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 2nd August 2022, 07:27 AM   #1361
shuttlt
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,094
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
No way? LoL. The cops that didn't do anything with it for 7 years, and then admitted they dropped the ball didn't have, or admit to having, records of her calling in to follow-up on her case?

I know I'm shocked.

It was in one of the first news reports that was linked in the thread. No, I'm not going to go find it. Just google it. She said she called multiple times but received no reply. That's it. That's pretty much the quote. You won't believe it, and I don't care that you don't. It's fine.
OK. Lots of the discussion in the thread was about her not having followed up and this wasn't mentioned then. This seems like a genuinely interesting fact.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 07:47 AM   #1362
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 13,432
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
OK. Lots of the discussion in the thread was about her not having followed up and this wasn't mentioned then. This seems like a genuinely interesting fact.
Yes, it was.
__________________
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 01:10 PM   #1363
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past ' Resume Speed ' .
Posts: 18,317
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Well I must have been reading the wrong thread. Where is the evidence that Crysta is not a good parent?
Do we relly need to go over all that again, you know, stuff like taking the child to see her not father in prison?
__________________
‘Trust in Allah but tie up your camel.’
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 01:15 PM   #1364
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 51,905
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Do we relly need to go over all that again, you know, stuff like taking the child to see her not father in prison?
What? Visiting someone in prison is bad motherhood?

But keep them coming. The laughs are good.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 01:20 PM   #1365
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past ' Resume Speed ' .
Posts: 18,317
keep the straw coming...
__________________
‘Trust in Allah but tie up your camel.’
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 01:33 PM   #1366
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,671
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
keep the straw coming...
Before you use the term, make sure you know what it means.

Literally nothing that lionking has argued here is a strawman or anything like it
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 01:37 PM   #1367
Warp12
King of Kings
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 7,253
Is anyone here stupid enough to actually think she aggressively pursued this claim of rape? Like, for 7 years?

I'd like to think not.
__________________
Break on through to the other side.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 01:42 PM   #1368
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,671
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
OK. Lots of the discussion in the thread was about her not having followed up and this wasn't mentioned then. This seems like a genuinely interesting fact.
On what? The rape or the police report she filed?

On the rape itself, she was not aware there was a 30 year time period during which she was allowed to report it. She was under the impression (as many, many women are) that if she didn't report it within a day or two, it was too late... and certainly, by the time she realised she was pregnant to the rapist, she thought it was way too late.

On her report to police, she tried to follow up on that many times, but to no avail. The Police either didn't reply or just ignored her. The police chief admitted as much. It was only when it became public through the **** decision of that judge that the Police were knocked off their fat donuts and did something about it.

The "lots of the discussion in the thread" was about the former, not the latter.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!

Last edited by smartcooky; 2nd August 2022 at 01:44 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 01:45 PM   #1369
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,671
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Is anyone here stupid enough to actually think she aggressively pursued this claim of rape? Like, for 7 years?

I'd like to think not.

No victim should EVER have to follow up with Police... the ******* Police should be doing their ******* jobs!!!
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 01:47 PM   #1370
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur
 
Skeptical Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Just past ' Resume Speed ' .
Posts: 18,317
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Before you use the term, make sure you know what it means.

Literally nothing that lionking has argued here is a strawman or anything like it
I did not argue that visiting someone in prison was bad motherhood..

I was just thinking that taking a child to prison to visit someone she had been told by her mother was her father, when mother knew he was not, might not be so good.

Besides, even if he was her father, why would that be an example of good parenting?
__________________
‘Trust in Allah but tie up your camel.’
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 01:50 PM   #1371
Warp12
King of Kings
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 7,253
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
No victim should EVER have to follow up with Police... the ******* Police should be doing their ******* jobs!!!

All we need to do now is find a true victim besides Barnes and the fake father.
__________________
Break on through to the other side.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 01:54 PM   #1372
Warp12
King of Kings
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 7,253
Oh, and the daughter seems a victim...of the mother's lies.

Everyone surrounding this evil, lying wench seems to suffer in some way. I know this sounds insensitive, but she is the cause of most of this nightmare.
__________________
Break on through to the other side.

Last edited by Warp12; 2nd August 2022 at 02:26 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 08:25 PM   #1373
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,671
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
All we need to do now is find a true victim besides Barnes and the fake father.
Only in the mind of a misogynist is the rapist a victim and the raped child the perp. Your moral compass is so ****** up I'm surprised you are able to find your way out of the basement.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 11:08 PM   #1374
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 33,355
That seems to be the flaw here. True enough there's some doubt about how bad the mother is, but even if she is bad, it does not make the child-raping father better. Even if she's all sorts of nasty, it does not make him a victim.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 11:13 PM   #1375
Warp12
King of Kings
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 7,253
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
That seems to be the flaw here. True enough there's some doubt about how bad the mother is, but even if she is bad, it does not make the child-raping father better. Even if she's all sorts of nasty, it does not make him a victim.

As best I can tell, the father didn't "rape" anyone.
__________________
Break on through to the other side.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 11:20 PM   #1376
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,671
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
As best I can tell, the father didn't "rape" anyone.
He raped Crysta Abelseth - that is a bona fide, confirmed, irrefutable fact that even the rapist has admitted to it.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 11:22 PM   #1377
Warp12
King of Kings
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 7,253
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
He raped Crysta Abelseth - that is a bona fide, confirmed, irrefutable fact that even the rapist has admitted to it.

Let it go, my man. Not only did she willingly lie herself into getting him all up in her britches, but this brief romance would have been 110% legal in your very own country. No "rape".

So, the faux outrage is laughable.
__________________
Break on through to the other side.

Last edited by Warp12; 2nd August 2022 at 11:24 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2022, 11:34 PM   #1378
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,671
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Let it go, my man. Not only did she willingly lie herself into getting him all up in her britches, but this brief romance would have been 110% legal in your very own country. No "rape".

So, the faux outrage is laughable.
FACT: He was 30 years old
FACT: She was 16 years old
FACT: He ****** her when she was a minor
FACT: A 16 year old cannot legally consent to sex with a 30 year old
FACT: "She looked over 17" is not a legal defence
FACT: "She lied about her age" is not a legal defence
FACT: "She had a fake ID" is not a legal defence
FACT: Whatever fancy name the Louisiana statutes call it, this was statutory rape - end of, no wiggle room
FACT: No matter how much prezel twisting and bull-**** you make up, Barnes raped Crysta Abseleth. End Of Story!

Oh, and just to be clear, I am opposed to the legal age in "my country" being 16. It should be 18 IMO, so the outrage is real, not faux.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 01:37 AM   #1379
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 51,905
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
As best I can tell, the father didn't "rape" anyone.
Why do you keep lying about this? It was rape by definition and your scare quotes change nothing.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 03:12 AM   #1380
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 105,983
Mod WarningFew posts moved to AAH. Keep to the topic of this thread which is not AOC in other countries nor each other.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:Darat
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 04:22 AM   #1381
Warp12
King of Kings
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 7,253
So, basically this lying woman has brought misery to all of those around her. Including multiple men, and even her own daughter.
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edit for rule 11, also against direct instructions in a mod box.
And the judge also confirmed she is a POS liar.
__________________
Break on through to the other side.

Last edited by zooterkin; 3rd August 2022 at 06:47 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 05:32 AM   #1382
casebro
Penultimate Amazing
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 19,622
Without a vaginal sample of semen, it is her word that a rape happened, even 30 years ago. She waited too long to supply a sample. No wonder the cops did not follow up. They need evidence.
__________________
Any sufficiently advanced idea is indistinguishable from idiocy to those who don't actually understanding the concept.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 05:50 AM   #1383
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 51,905
Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Without a vaginal sample of semen, it is her word that a rape happened, even 30 years ago. She waited too long to supply a sample. No wonder the cops did not follow up. They need evidence.
What? Have you even been following this thread? She was impregnated by Barnes when she was under aged. This is beyond dispute.

Rape apology and police corruption apology. Well done.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 06:44 AM   #1384
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 13,432
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
I did not argue that visiting someone in prison was bad motherhood..

I was just thinking that taking a child to prison to visit someone she had been told by her mother was her father, when mother knew he was not, might not be so good.

Besides, even if he was her father, why would that be an example of good parenting?
I'm sure you have evidence of the hilited, right? Just kidding, you don't. You're full of **** and it's hilarious.

Per Warp12's quote from the judge's statement:

Quote:
That man, according to the judge, was believed to be the biological father by Ms Abelseth
Are you saying this isn't true? You and Warp12 really seem to have issues in deciding what you're going to believe. Warp12 is using it as evidence to support his statements, are you contesting that? Are you now saying Warp12 is wrong in his assessment? You know what's factual then? I'll wait, take your time.

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
What? Have you even been following this thread? She was impregnated by Barnes when she was under aged. This is beyond dispute.

Rape apology and police corruption apology. Well done.
Not only that, but when it comes to the daughter, they did a full rape kit. It's, somehow, nowhere to be found! Crazy, that, isn't it?

So even if they had done the rape kit on Crysta in real-time, found semen, the chances that it would have been processed and used are close to nil.
__________________
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 3rd August 2022 at 06:48 AM.
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2022, 12:57 PM   #1385
AcesHigh
Muse
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 583
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yep just the word of a "Split Tail." Women are always lying about that.
Some do. Or you think any section of humanity ALWAYS tells the truth?
AcesHigh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2022, 01:01 PM   #1386
AcesHigh
Muse
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 583
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
FACT: He was 30 years old
FACT: She was 16 years old
FACT: He ****** her when she was a minor
FACT: A 16 year old cannot legally consent to sex with a 30 year old
FACT: "She looked over 17" is not a legal defence
FACT: "She lied about her age" is not a legal defence
FACT: "She had a fake ID" is not a legal defence
FACT: Whatever fancy name the Louisiana statutes call it, this was statutory rape - end of, no wiggle room
FACT: No matter how much prezel twisting and bull-**** you make up, Barnes raped Crysta Abseleth. End Of Story!

Oh, and just to be clear, I am opposed to the legal age in "my country" being 16. It should be 18 IMO, so the outrage is real, not faux.





Question, if no adolescent can EVER in ANY case be considered to give consent, in a country.... can the SAME adolescent go to trial as an ADULT in that same country?


I mean... if a 14 year old in Britain kills someone and goes to trial as an adult, because it's considered he KNEW it was wrong, or right etc.


Then I guess the same adolescent COULD KNOW if it was right or wrong to consent to sex, right?

Last edited by Darat; 17th November 2022 at 10:14 AM.
AcesHigh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2022, 02:12 PM   #1387
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 20,928
Not going to quote the oversized image, but to respond, I, for one, have argued this aspect of "tried as an adult." From my perspective, I don't like it, ever. But it happens.

But if that is the case, then why couldn't a minor argue that they are mature enough to get out of a underage alcohol possession, for example?

Yes, it's selective, and I would have no problem ending this practice of juviniles being tried as adults.
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 09:43 AM   #1388
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 15,799
"Old enough to slay, old enough to lay" is apparently where we've arrived.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 09:57 AM   #1389
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: In the Troll Ignoring Section
Posts: 20,643
Since your maturity is not literally tied to your birthday, I think it makes a ton more sense to drop the arbitrariness of 18 cake candles and evaluate the adolescent on their personal maturity level when it comes to responsibility for serious crimes.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 11:05 AM   #1390
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 13,432
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Since your maturity is not literally tied to your birthday, I think it makes a ton more sense to drop the arbitrariness of 18 cake candles and evaluate the adolescent on their personal maturity level when it comes to responsibility for serious crimes.
Unless 15 is going to be an appropriate age I don't see how this relates to this thread. Or are we saying that 15 year olds, that have been living on the street and repeatedly abused by pretty much everyone they've come in contact with, have the mental maturity for these situations?
__________________
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 12:13 PM   #1391
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: In the Troll Ignoring Section
Posts: 20,643
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Unless 15 is going to be an appropriate age I don't see how this relates to this thread.
We kind of slid over to the sub-topic of trying minors as adults recently. My comment was responding to the drift discussion.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2022, 06:07 AM   #1392
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 27,639
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post




Question, if no adolescent can EVER in ANY case be considered to give consent, in a country.... can the SAME adolescent go to trial as an ADULT in that same country?


I mean... if a 14 year old in Britain kills someone and goes to trial as an adult, because it's considered he KNEW it was wrong, or right etc.


Then I guess the same adolescent COULD KNOW if it was right or wrong to consent to sex, right?
That's not how the law works in the UK. I suggest you educate yourself.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2022, 06:16 AM   #1393
casebro
Penultimate Amazing
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 19,622
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
That's not how the law works in the UK....
OK, so you did grasp the concept of the recent conversation. So why recommend more reading to somebody else who also grasps?
__________________
Any sufficiently advanced idea is indistinguishable from idiocy to those who don't actually understanding the concept.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:06 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.