IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cancel culture

Old 20th November 2022, 01:19 PM   #2481
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
And studiously avoiding certain matters.
Indeed, they are mostly OK with the "right" people being "cancelled", just as long as they can continue to scream into the void about the "wrong" people being "cancelled".
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 05:16 PM   #2482
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Indeed, they are mostly OK with the "right" left people being "cancelled", just as long as they can continue to scream into the void about the "wrong" right people being "cancelled".
Fixed that for you.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 05:22 PM   #2483
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Fixed that for you.
Correction accepted!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2022, 08:37 AM   #2484
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
I don't recall claiming anything about a "terrible scourge" but possibly I'm misremembering. I would say that sometimes cancellations go too far and have rather undesirable results, such as when Gimlet lost their flagship podcast following the public shaming of two of its main figures, or when Slate lost its daily news podcast, or when Gelato Mio was ratings bombed by angry skeptics.
Oh, goody, we're back to 'd4m10n believes podcasts should continue to be made whether or not the podcast personnel can continue to work together or whether or not the audience has rejected the podcast' as examples of cancel culture having run amock.

I listen to them. You might try it, sometime; the link I posted earlier should take you to exactly the starting point.
Your inability to articulate what it in them or why anyone else would care to hear them doesn't demonstrate that you listen to them. Or, perhaps you 'don't recall' what's in them as you 'don't recall' any other part of the discussion? Either way...spamming a podcast is going to get you the same interest the spam emails I get every day get.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2022, 10:09 PM   #2485
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Your inability to articulate what it in them or why anyone else would care to hear them doesn't demonstrate that you listen to them. Or, perhaps you 'don't recall' what's in them as you 'don't recall' any other part of the discussion?
Or, perhaps it is too much effort to summarize three different people giving three different arguments from three different perspectives when they don't even bother to take turns in a formalized Oxford style debate. I get that you're not going to listen, but you've not made a persuasive argument against posting links to the "cancel court" segment since it's directly on topic here.

On that note, here is the next one:
https://player.fm/series/not-even-ma...ana-wen?t=1890

It's about Dr. Leana Wen this time.
Old 25th November 2022, 10:22 PM   #2486
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Speaking of podcasts about cancel culture, here are a few audio segments from The New Yorker:
https://www.newyorker.com/podcast/th...of-free-speech

(I've only heard the first one so far.)

Last edited by d4m10n; 25th November 2022 at 10:25 PM.
d4m10n is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 06:56 AM   #2487
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Or, perhaps it is too much effort to summarize three different people giving three different arguments from three different perspectives when they don't even bother to take turns in a formalized Oxford style debate. I get that you're not going to listen, but you've not made a persuasive argument against posting links to the "cancel court" segment since it's directly on topic here..
Wait, I didn't convince a spammer to stop spamming by pointing out that spamming links won't get people to go to them? Color me shocked! Why, spammers are usually known to be rational people who don't post annoying ads over and over again!
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 07:48 AM   #2488
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Not sure why anyone would think an audio segment about cancellation is spam in a discussion thread about cancellation. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The discussion about Dr. Wen seemed particularly on point.
Old 28th November 2022, 08:24 AM   #2489
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Not sure why anyone would think an audio segment about cancellation is spam in a discussion thread about cancellation. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The discussion about Dr. Wen seemed particularly on point.
How do we know what it's about? You, the one spamming us with the links, seem unable to describe the points made in the podcast you're spamming us with.
Old 29th November 2022, 04:45 PM   #2490
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

How do we know what it's about?
Just have a listen. The intro to "cancel court" pretty much explains the concept of the segment in around 15 seconds.

Last edited by d4m10n; 29th November 2022 at 04:46 PM.
d4m10n is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 07:06 AM   #2491
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Just have a listen. The intro to "cancel court" pretty much explains the concept of the segment in around 15 seconds.
Spammer continues to attempt to get people to listen to a podcast he can't give the details on, explain any points made, or give any other reason to listen to it other than because the spammer himself recommends it.

Old 30th November 2022, 07:21 AM   #2492
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

ETA: For the audio skeptical, here is a discussion of Wen's cancellation in print.

Last edited by d4m10n; 30th November 2022 at 07:40 AM.
Old 30th November 2022, 07:25 AM   #2493
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Probably because you just post links (to your twitter, which then links somewhere else...) and cajole people to go there.
Old 30th November 2022, 07:41 AM   #2494
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

See #2485 for a direct link.
Old 30th November 2022, 07:47 AM   #2495
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Because it's a "discussion thread" and not a "post links to videos without discussion" thread.

If you don't have anything to say about it, why are you posting it as part of a "discussion"?
Old 30th November 2022, 09:15 AM   #2496
Lplus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Because it's a "discussion thread" and not a "post links to videos without discussion" thread.

If you don't have anything to say about it, why are you posting it as part of a "discussion"?
I've read the link to a written discussion of the subject in post #2492. I think it's a perfect example of cancel culture - what do you think?

Life isn't fair, Princess; anyone who says it could be is selling a political ideology.
Whinging on internet forums is the last resort of the powerless
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 09:23 AM   #2497
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lplus View Post
I've read the link to a written discussion of the subject in post #2492. I think it's a perfect example of cancel culture - what do you think?
Another person who is unable to describe any of the points made in the podcast tries unsuccessfully to convince people to read/listen to the spammed article by...not being able to give anyone a reason to read/listen to the article other than that it fits your prejudices.
Old 30th November 2022, 09:34 AM   #2498
Lplus
Graduate Poster

Another person who is unable to describe any of the points made in the podcast tries unsuccessfully to convince people to read/listen to the spammed article by...not being able to give anyone a reason to read/listen to the article other than that it fits your prejudices.
How do you know it fits my or anyone elses' prejudices if you haven't watched/read anything about it?

Life isn't fair, Princess; anyone who says it could be is selling a political ideology.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 09:35 AM   #2499
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

How do you know it fits my or anyone elses' prejudices if you haven't watched/read anything about it?
Because....you said it did.

eta: Read the thread. There isn't even a consensus on what cancel culture is, whether it's a new phenomenon, or what counts. That you think this spammed link is a perfect example of something shows that you are already prejudiced to believe that cancel culture exists, and that you know what counts as cancel culture.

Last edited by wareyin; 30th November 2022 at 09:38 AM.
Old 30th November 2022, 09:37 AM   #2500
Elaedith
Master Poster

Brilliant Reith lecture on freedom of speech by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I think this is available outside the UK.
Old 30th November 2022, 09:42 AM   #2501
Lplus
Graduate Poster

Because....you said it did.

eta: Read the thread. There isn't even a consensus on what cancel culture is, whether it's a new phenomenon, or what counts. That you think this spammed link is a perfect example of something shows that you are already prejudiced to believe that cancel culture exists, and that you know what counts as cancel culture.
But since you appear to refuse to accept cancel culture exists at all, your views on cancel culture are irrelevant.

Old 30th November 2022, 09:46 AM   #2502
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

But since you appear to refuse to accept cancel culture exists at all, your views on cancel culture are irrelevant.
Brilliant reasoning. The only way your views on a subject can have relevance is if you accept the premise. You can't talk about the Christian God unless you already accept that that God exists. Your views on ghosts are irrelevant unless you've already decided that they exist.
Old 30th November 2022, 09:58 AM   #2503
Lplus
Graduate Poster

Brilliant reasoning. The only way your views on a subject can have relevance is if you accept the premise. You can't talk about the Christian God unless you already accept that that God exists. Your views on ghosts are irrelevant unless you've already decided that they exist.
Well, apart from saying "there's no such thing" how else can you contribute to the discussion of a subject if you don't accept that subject exists?

Old 30th November 2022, 10:05 AM   #2504
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Oh good, someone finally willing to articulate what "cancel culture" is and why it's a problem we should all be concerned about.

You have the floor.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 10:15 AM   #2505
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Well, apart from saying "there's no such thing" how else can you contribute to the discussion of a subject if you don't accept that subject exists?
Perhaps by trying to nudge those who have uncritically accepted a premise into examining what they believe and why?

Telling people that unless they agree that ghosts exist, they can't discuss how your example of a haunted water faucet is not actually totally proof of the spirit realm is just a really uncritical way to think. I mean, if all you want is a circle jerk of gullible rubes all telling each other they're right, how exactly is that contributing to a discussion?
Old 30th November 2022, 10:36 AM   #2506
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Spammer continues to attempt to get people to listen to a podcast he can't give the details on, explain any points made, or give any other reason to listen to it other than because the spammer himself recommends it.

To be fair, when someone posts a link, I would prefer to listen to, watch or read the content of the link myself first, and then discuss what's in it. There is little I find more bloody annoying than sitting in a room watching a documentary someone has recommended, or reading an article someone has given me, and having that same someone trying to give me a running commentary on what I am trying watch or read. I just want to tell them to shut the **** up!
Old 30th November 2022, 10:47 AM   #2507
Lplus
Graduate Poster

Perhaps by trying to nudge those who have uncritically accepted a premise into examining what they believe and why?

Telling people that unless they agree that ghosts exist, they can't discuss how your example of a haunted water faucet is not actually totally proof of the spirit realm is just a really uncritical way to think. I mean, if all you want is a circle jerk of gullible rubes all telling each other they're right, how exactly is that contributing to a discussion?
That isn't discussing the subject, that's just pointing out your disbelief in the subject. Fine for the first time, but it gets really old after a while.

To be fair, when someone posts a link, I would prefer to listen to, watch or read the content of the link myself first, and then discuss what's in it. There is little I find more bloody annoying than sitting in a room watching a documentary someone has recommended, or reading an article someone has given me, and having that same someone trying to give me a running commentary on what I am trying watch or read. I just want to tell them to shut the **** up!
At least you are prepared to look at the article/podcast/whatever. It may or may not agree with any previous prejudices you may have, but you aren't afraid to find out.

Old 30th November 2022, 11:03 AM   #2508
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

That isn't discussing the subject, that's just pointing out your disbelief in the subject. Fine for the first time, but it gets really old after a while.
Nonsense. We're discussing your belief in the subject, and why you have it, and why you might have things wrong. The discussion is you (well, actually d4m10n since this was originally his right wing crisis du jour) trying to convince skeptics that this is even a thing, not people that you haven't convinced explaining to you over and over that your evidence is weak at best and that there are better explanations for your haunted faucet than ghosts.
Old 30th November 2022, 11:04 AM   #2509
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

There's a vast gulf between someone sitting next to you giving a running commentary on a video you're watching and someone who recommends you watch a video but he doesn't know what goes on in the video or why you should watch it.
Old 30th November 2022, 03:55 PM   #2510
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

I'd say it's less than perfect, but only because of the death threats. Some people think that those are an extension of the angry mob mentality behind "cancel culture" but others would say that illegal threats go beyond what we generally mean to encompass by the phrase, that is, exercise of legitimate speech to prevent someone else from having some particular platform.

To be fair, when someone posts a link, I would prefer to listen to, watch or read the content of the link myself first, and then discuss what's in it.
This strikes me as a perfectly reasonable approach. A less reasonable approach might be to characterize the link as spam, while having no idea what it's actually about.

(well, actually d4m10n since this was originally his right wing crisis du jour)
Here follows a list of all the right wing sources I've cited in my discussion of cancel culture:

Last edited by d4m10n; 30th November 2022 at 03:59 PM.
Old 30th November 2022, 04:43 PM   #2511
johnny karate

Here follows a list of all the right wing sources I've cited in my discussion of cancel culture:
Here's you citing Libs of TikTok:
#SummerCancellation season is in full swing.

Back in mid-June, a handful of workers at Mina's World rose up to demand the means of production from the owners of the café (all of whom are women of colour) and to publicly shame them for various offenses against social justice.

Two of the owners made a couple of (hostage style) videos asking for forgiveness and understanding. Here is one of them:

https://twitter.com/libsoftiktok/sta...85710605848577

The third owner (evidently the main backer) eventually had enough of the workers of Mina's World uniting against her and decided to pull out of the venture. As of early this month, Mina's World has permanently closed.

An interesting overlap between this cancellation and the end of Reply All is that both of them happened at the intersection of social justice, internet culture, and Bon Appetit.

How embarrassing for you.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 04:52 PM   #2512
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Here's you citing Libs of TikTok
Those videos were originally posted and later deleted from the Mina's World instagram feed, which was decidedly pro-social justice. Not a right wing source.
Old 30th November 2022, 06:12 PM   #2513
johnny karate

Those videos were originally posted and later deleted from the Mina's World instagram feed, which was decidedly pro-social justice. Not a right wing source.
You cited Libs of TikTok. Libs of TikTok is right wing. Hardcore right wing.

You even used the same description of the video by calling it "hostage style".

So you didn't just cite a hardcore right wing source, you also quoted them.
Old 1st December 2022, 06:24 AM   #2514
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

This strikes me as a perfectly reasonable approach. A less reasonable approach might be to characterize the link as spam, while having no idea what it's actually about.
Spammer pretends to get upset that people won't click on the links he refuses to explain or summarize because, like all spammers, the goal is to get the credible to click the link and not to convince anyone even slightly skeptical of his position.

Thanks to johnny karate for reminding you of a right wing source you cited. I'm sure that your omission was simply an honest case of you not recalling what you had posted, as that does happen quite a lot for you.
Old 1st December 2022, 06:49 AM   #2515
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

You cited Libs of TikTok.
No, I cited the Mina's World Instagram feed, where I originally watched both videos. It so happens that LibsOfTikTok archived the video, but they are not the source of the video, obviously. To my knowledge, no other live copies have been posted.

You even used the same description of the video by calling it "hostage style".
Watch the video for yourself and tell us if they seem under duress.

Spammer pretends to get upset that people won't click on the links he refuses to explain or summarize because, like all spammers, the goal is to get the credible to click the link and not to convince anyone even slightly skeptical of his position.
Brief summary of every cancel court segment follows:
  • Mike Pesca briefly recounts who is (allegedly) being cancelled and why.
  • Virginia Heffernan (progressive commentator) explains whether she thinks it was a morally justifiable cancellation or not
  • Jamie Kirchick (conservative commentator) explains whether he thinks it was a morally justifiable cancellation or not
  • Mike Pesca (centrist commentator) weighs in on whether he thinks it was a morally justifiable cancellation or not
The most recent episode of cancel court may be found here:
https://player.fm/series/not-even-ma...lescope?t=2015

Oddly enough, it's about James E. Webb and the Lavender ScareWP, the latter of which is a fine example of an irrational culture of cancellation.

Last edited by d4m10n; 1st December 2022 at 07:06 AM.
Old 1st December 2022, 09:14 AM   #2516
johnny karate

No, I cited the Mina's World Instagram feed, where I originally watched both videos. It so happens that LibsOfTikTok archived the video, but they are not the source of the video, obviously. To my knowledge, no other live copies have been posted.

Watch the video for yourself and tell us if they seem under duress.
You directly linked to the Libs of TikTok Twitter account.

They are right wing.

These two facts are indisputable.

Just take the L and move on.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events