IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th October 2022, 02:57 PM   #81
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Some more details on the road rage shooting near Jacksonville, including a statement by one of the drivers. (The one on the right in the photo in Post#59.) Witnesses told police that the two men were driving erratically in a "cat-and-mouse game" while repeatedly brake checking one another.
Quote:
The [police] report states that Hale and his family were driving back to Georgia from Jacksonville when Allison reportedly attempted to run him off the road. Someone in Allison's vehicle began flipping off Hale and then someone in Hale's truck threw a water bottle into Allison's vehicle, the report stated. Moments later, the report says Hale said he heard a "pow" and his 5-year-old daughter was shot in the leg. He then says he grabbed his pistol and fired "everything that was in the clip" at Allison's vehicle. One of the rounds struck Allison's 14-year-old daughter in the backseat, who suffered a collapsed lung, the report stated. Link to Fox35 in Orlando
Both men pulled over when they saw a police car on the side of the road, exited their vehicles and began fighting. Police had to separate them. Your daughter's just been shot and you continue the chase? Get out and begin fighting?

Empty your clip at the other car? Seriously?
Quote:
"Y'all daggone right!"
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2022, 07:46 AM   #82
Donal
Philosopher

Which one has a tattoo of a crucifix and identifies himself as a Christian on his social media profiles?
Old 18th October 2022, 08:23 AM   #83
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Which one has a crucifix tattoo and identifies as Christian on social media? Probably both!
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2022, 12:05 PM   #84
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

PFPs are selfies of sitting in the driver's seat of their trucks wearing sunglasses
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2022, 02:48 PM   #85
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
PFPs are selfies of sitting in the driver's seat of their trucks wearing sunglasses
Or holding a small to medium sized fish as if it were a prized possession.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2022, 09:28 AM   #86
sarge
Philosopher

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sheriff-l...185535985.html

I don’t understand the Sheriffs angst in this story. Two Florida homeowners attempting to uphold a polite society by using both Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine (which are, according to the Sheriff, wonderful laws).

In Florida (or Texas), I would think they’d be up for a public service award.
Old 20th October 2022, 08:04 PM   #87
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

A neighbor dropped off a package of medication at the Colonacosta's front door after it was accidentally delivered to him. The Coloncostas were then alerted through their Ring camera doorbell that someone was at the front door. There was no one at the door so the Coloncostas grabbed their handguns and went looking. About 255 feet away a woman was sitting in her car scrolling through her cell phone. The elder Coloncosta drew his gun went to the car and demanded the woman get out. The woman, believing she was being carjacked, put the car in gear -and promptly hit a parked car. That's when Pop (73) and Son (15) opened fire. They fired seven shots none of which hit the woman, but one round lodged in the driver's seat.

The sheriff says he wants to see the Coloncostas in prison. "You don't leave the security of your home and chase people down. That is not appropriate. What kind of craziness is that?"

You don't leave the security of your home and chase people down?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daggone right!.jpg (88.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 20th October 2022, 09:33 PM   #88
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

One day someone will do this to a visiting tourist - shoot some little old lady and gent dead in their rent-a-car because they got a bit lost on the way to Disneyland and stopped to look at a map. Because they looked too much like a burglar for some folks' taste and deserved to be shot.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2022, 09:45 PM   #89
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Or you could take this approach:

US woman unleashes hive of bees on police officers during eviction of friend

Quote:
A Massachusetts woman has been accused of using a swarm of bees as a dangerous weapon after she allegedly unleashed a hive on deputies trying to serve an eviction notice last week.

The incident unfolded when Rorie Woods, a 55-year-old professional beekeeper, drove up to the home in Longmeadow while deputies were in the process of enforcing the eviction notice, the sheriff's department said in a statement on Wednesday.

The residence, outside Springfield in the south-central part of the state, belonged to a man who had been litigating against his removal for years, garnering support of anti-eviction activists, including Ms Woods, a department spokesperson said in an email on Thursday.

When she arrived at about 9:15am local time, towing a stack of manufactured beehives with a SUV, Ms Woods exited the vehicle and tried to open the lids to unleash the bees, the department said.

"A sheriff's deputy tried to stop her, but as the agitated bees started getting out and circling the area, he pulled back," the office said.

She then smashed the lid of one hive and flipped it off the flatbed, agitating the bees, the sheriff said on Wednesday.

They swarmed the area, stinging several officers and bystanders who were nearby. One deputy was taken to the hospital where he was treated.

Meanwhile, Ms Woods put on a professional beekeeper suit to protect herself, and she carried a tower of bees to the front door of the home, trying to stop the eviction. At that point, deputies arrested her.

"I support people's right to protest peacefully but when you cross the line and put my staff and the public in danger, I promise you will be arrested," Hampden County Sheriff Nick Cocchi said...

...Ms Woods, who lives in Hadley, Massachusetts, about 40 kilometres north of Longmeadow, faces four felony counts of assault and battery by means of a dangerous weapon and three counts of assault by means of a dangerous weapon.

She also faces a misdemeanour disorderly conduct charge.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2022, 11:03 PM   #90
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
SO MANY opportunities for puns that it is hard to know where to start...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2022, 11:11 PM   #91
Checkmite

Originally Posted by sarge View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/sheriff-l...185535985.html

I don’t understand the Sheriffs angst in this story. Two Florida homeowners attempting to uphold a polite society by using both Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine (which are, according to the Sheriff, wonderful laws).

In Florida (or Texas), I would think they’d be up for a public service award.
I really must say I was earnestly surprised to hear Sheriff Grandstand express this kind of opinion (that what the assailants did was wrong in no uncertain terms).
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2022, 12:27 AM   #92
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

This might sting the bee lady a bit:

Quote:
Woods now faces seven felonies and one misdemeanor, according to Hampden County Sheriff's Department.
Seven felonies... there must be pun for that but I can't come up with it at the moment.

Last edited by Brainster; 21st October 2022 at 12:28 AM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2022, 04:02 AM   #93
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Were drones used to comb the area in a sting operation?
Old 21st October 2022, 05:23 AM   #94
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
A neighbor dropped off a package of medication at the Colonacosta's front door after it was accidentally delivered to him. The Coloncostas were then alerted through their Ring camera doorbell that someone was at the front door. There was no one at the door so the Coloncostas grabbed their handguns and went looking. About 255 feet away a woman was sitting in her car scrolling through her cell phone. The elder Coloncosta drew his gun went to the car and demanded the woman get out. The woman, believing she was being carjacked, put the car in gear -and promptly hit a parked car. That's when Pop (73) and Son (15) opened fire. They fired seven shots none of which hit the woman, but one round lodged in the driver's seat.

The sheriff says he wants to see the Coloncostas in prison. "You don't leave the security of your home and chase people down. That is not appropriate. What kind of craziness is that?"

Maybe it was anti-psychotic medication.
Old 21st October 2022, 05:29 AM   #95
Donal
Philosopher

Trayvon Martin would be surprised to hear that.
Old 21st October 2022, 07:09 AM   #96
Planigale
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
One day someone will do this to a visiting tourist - shoot some little old lady and gent dead in their rent-a-car because they got a bit lost on the way to Disneyland and stopped to look at a map. Because they looked too much like a burglar for some folks' taste and deserved to be shot.
Already happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killin...hihiro_Hattori

https://apnews.com/article/6b1f8f842...4567f78d0158b5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-DhyjCAvc
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2022, 05:00 PM   #97
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I was just about to post that incident here but you beet me to it.

Video of police press conference here:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Certain worth a watch for the police officer's comments.
Old 22nd October 2022, 07:51 PM   #98
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
Indeed. I was well aware of this. Sometimes even the cops get in on the action, gunning down people who actually try to help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Justine_Damond
Quote:
On July 15, 2017, Justine Damond (née Ruszczyk), a 40-year-old Australian-American woman, was fatally shot by 33-year-old Somali-American Minneapolis Police Department officer Mohamed Noor after she had called 9-1-1 to report the possible assault of a woman in an alley behind her house.
She did the most Aussie thing possible - called the cops, saw their car, walked up to their window to talk to them ...and blam.
Old 23rd October 2022, 12:22 AM   #99
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

With my new hobby/sport I'm doing of Historic European Martial Arts, I've been studying the use of swords in murder and assault cases from the Old Baily digitized records of the 17th century. I'm getting ready for a tournament and wanted to study how small swords were used.

What's apparent to me is that people who are armed substitute the weapon for the social skills rational adults use to navigate life's little confrontations. Most of the trials either involve alcohol or the people involved were "in passion" and impulsively drew their sword. Far from making 17th century England polite, the ubiquitous carrying of swords substituted for politeness.

An armed society is an emotionally and socially stunted society.
Old 23rd October 2022, 01:05 AM   #100
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
What do you mean some day. It's happened before.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill...hihiro_Hattori
Ninjad.

Last edited by a_unique_person; 23rd October 2022 at 01:07 AM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2022, 05:05 PM   #101
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
What's apparent to me is that people who are armed substitute the weapon for the social skills rational adults use to navigate life's little confrontations.
That's a good way of putting it. If you encounter a problem, and you have a gun, you shoot the problem to make it go away.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2022, 04:11 PM   #102
Checkmite

After Virginia mother JoAnn Cottle's request for a protection order against her ex-boyfriend was denied by a judge, the ex-boyfriend raided her house with a gun in the middle of the night and killed Cottle and all three of her young children.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events