IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th November 2022, 01:38 PM   #321
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

At least she didn't kill one of her "jailers" this time.
Old 6th November 2022, 01:46 PM   #322
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

When she is eventually caught, probably shacked back up with the boyfriend, I hope this time they do the right thing and lock her up properly.

"In ordering community service, Judge Porter said it would give Lewis the opportunity to tell her “story to other young and vulnerable women in our community" Awesome, kill a guy, accuse him of raping you and et voila, you're practically home free.

Last edited by RolandRat; 6th November 2022 at 01:50 PM.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2022, 01:55 PM   #323
fertilizerspike
New Blood

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
At least she didn't kill one of her "jailers" this time.
What a pity

Sent from my SM-S111DL using Tapatalk
fertilizerspike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2022, 01:56 PM   #324
fertilizerspike
New Blood

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
When she is eventually caught, probably shacked back up with the boyfriend, I hope this time they do the right thing and lock her up properly.

"In ordering community service, Judge Porter said it would give Lewis the opportunity to tell her “story to other young and vulnerable women in our community" Awesome, kill a guy, accuse him of raping you and et voila, you're practically home free.
I'm sure the rapist she terminated would agree with you

fertilizerspike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2022, 08:59 PM   #325
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

my prediction

The GoFundMe account had more than covered what she was ordered to pay. I would imagine that she will be picked up in a week. What a stupid thing to do.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 6th November 2022 at 09:09 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2022, 10:45 AM   #326
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Lewis had her legal bills paid, with $350,000 in extra cash to boot, and no prison time, having actually stabbed a man to death in his sleep. All she had to do was...you know...stop being a criminal for a while.

Didn't even manage that for a few months. Prediction: Ms Lewis gets acquainted with the prison sentence that she has formally begged for now.

Eta: the judge had said point blank at her lenient sentencing that this was the second chance she pleaded for, and she would not get another. Unless she has some kind of verifiable abuse experience in the ankle facility she was in, I think we can assume she is a willful, committed, and untrustworthy criminal. Makes me wonder if her version of the initial events might get revisited?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Last edited by Thermal; 7th November 2022 at 10:52 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2022, 11:56 AM   #327
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

I'm a little unclear on the meaningful distinction between being "on probation" in a "correctional facility" that is considered "escaping" if one leaves, and being "sentenced to prison."
Old 7th November 2022, 12:01 PM   #328
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I'm a little unclear on the meaningful distinction between being "on probation" in a "correctional facility" that is considered "escaping" if one leaves, and being "sentenced to prison."
Since she is still a minor, I think it is a kind of halfway house? It can't be very prison-like if she was on an anklet and could walk out.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2022, 01:19 PM   #329
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

closely supervised probation versus prison

"The Des Moines facility from which Lewis escaped is a residential corrections facility, per the Fifth Judicial Circuit Department of Corrections website. It “accepts residents with varied legal status,” who might be admitted “as a condition of probation or parole,” it says. The program aims to “provide a safe and holistic approach to supervision that seeks to educate, support and advocate for all women to transform their lives,” the website says." link

"A warrant was issued for Lewis' arrest and the probation report asked for her deferred judgment to be revoked and have her original sentence imposed, KCCI reported. She could face up to 20 years in prison...If Lewis had successfully completed five years of closely supervised probation her prison sentence would have been expunged." NPR

"Probation authorities also claimed in a report that Lewis’s GPS monitor was cut off on Friday. They also reported that Lewis had been cited for a variety of infractions, such as not taking a direct bus route back to the facility, and they said there were four hours where she was not accounted for during a three-week period." The Guardian

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 7th November 2022 at 01:34 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2022, 02:35 PM   #330
plague311
Great minds think...

Yeah she messed that one up.

I can't think of a single reason why it would affect what she said in her defense at trial. Unless someone knows something about the legal system I don't. She doesn't appear to have lied.

She'll end up getting her probation revoked, I'd assume, then do the prison time. That's too bad, hate to see someone ruin their life so young, though given her life story she didn't have a lot of real good alternatives.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2022, 05:02 PM   #331
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Lewis had her legal bills paid, with $350,000 in extra cash to boot, and no prison time, having actually stabbed a man to death in his sleep. All she had to do was...you know...stop being a criminal for a while.

Didn't even manage that for a few months. Prediction: Ms Lewis gets acquainted with the prison sentence that she has formally begged for now.

Eta: the judge had said point blank at her lenient sentencing that this was the second chance she pleaded for, and she would not get another. Unless she has some kind of verifiable abuse experience in the ankle facility she was in, I think we can assume she is a willful, committed, and untrustworthy criminal. Makes me wonder if her version of the initial events might get revisited?
Another consideration is the type of counseling she might have received from her fellow house guests in the " residential corrections facility " ..
Old 7th November 2022, 06:19 PM   #332
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Another consideration is the type of counseling she might have received from her fellow house guests in the " residential corrections facility " ..
"Even a few weeks of fugitive freedom followed by decades of actual prison will be better than this!"

Yeah, this is not a person who is motivated by minimizing her risk exposure. Which only reinforces the impression that she misrepresented the original situation, had an inexcusable response, and got off far more lightly than she deserved.
Old 7th November 2022, 09:43 PM   #333
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
"Even a few weeks of fugitive freedom followed by decades of actual prison will be better than this!"

Yeah, this is not a person who is motivated by minimizing her risk exposure. Which only reinforces the impression that she misrepresented the original situation, had an inexcusable response, and got off far more lightly than she deserved.
Interesting - my read in this is the exact opposite.

As someone who has dealt with many abused kids on a personal basis (mostly, but not exclusively with my involvement in kids sports) I find her behavior reinforces my impression that she has told the truth about being raped. This behavior seems to me to be more fear-based than that of a bad apple. She bears all the behavioral hallmarks of someone who is feeling trapped and frightened. It is well understood that these hallmarks include being overweight (she appears to be), more likely to smoke and/or take drugs from an early age (she did) and more likely to indulge in risky sexual behavior (and she did this too). Determination and resilience is another attribute that many abused kids display.

Last edited by smartcooky; 7th November 2022 at 09:55 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 09:40 AM   #334
Cat Not Included
Critical Thinker

Absolutely.

Let me put a spin on her story. Instead of forcing her at knifepoint the boyfriend gets the girl to willingly go to the guys house with the intention of stealing his car, robbing him or whatever. Boyfriend tells her to smoke and drink with him, have sex with him, get him relaxed. When he passes out, stab that fecker enough times to make sure you offed him. Clean yourself up before you leave then take the car and bring it back here and we can make an easy few K. If you get arrested you just say he raped you and you killed him out of fear.

The only evidence that would differentiate between my version and hers would be witness testimony. The only witness would be her and her boyfriend. If they both stuck to her story, there is no other evidence to disprove it.
Since your assumption is that the police are completely incompetent or corrupt and didn't find any verifying evidence whatsoever, why not put another spin on it? The police had a body with a lot of knife wounds and a trail of car damage. They find the car, and pick a convenient nearby vulnerable POC with a problematic history and torture/intimidate her into confessing. In terms of incidence rates, this is probably way more common that a teenage girl deciding to physically assault to murder a middle aged man and successfully doing so. As long as we're making big assumptions about the police and making hypothetical scenarios.
Cat Not Included is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 09:44 AM   #335
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Interesting - my read in this is the exact opposite.

As someone who has dealt with many abused kids on a personal basis (mostly, but not exclusively with my involvement in kids sports) I find her behavior reinforces my impression that she has told the truth about being raped. This behavior seems to me to be more fear-based than that of a bad apple. She bears all the behavioral hallmarks of someone who is feeling trapped and frightened. It is well understood that these hallmarks include being overweight (she appears to be), more likely to smoke and/or take drugs from an early age (she did) and more likely to indulge in risky sexual behavior (and she did this too). Determination and resilience is another attribute that many abused kids display.
Well, yeah, that all makes sense, but have you started from a point of automatically not believing anything she says because....reasons? Hmm? Have you tried that? I bet not.

Start there and it's clear as day! Obviously she's a lying, murderous, evil individual. Duh.

If anything, this reinforces the point that if she doesn't feel like she's truly in danger she won't hurt anyone but that's only because, you know, she didn't hurt anyone. She just left. No muss, no fuss, just up and left.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 02:33 PM   #336
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Well, yeah, that all makes sense, but have you started from a point of automatically not believing anything she says because....reasons? Hmm? Have you tried that? I bet not.

Start there and it's clear as day! Obviously she's a lying, murderous, evil individual. Duh.

If anything, this reinforces the point that if she doesn't feel like she's truly in danger she won't hurt anyone but that's only because, you know, she didn't hurt anyone. She just left. No muss, no fuss, just up and left.

Yeah, there are quite a number of people on this forum whose logic train boils down to "Facts and evidence be damned! Black = Guilty"
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2022, 11:30 AM   #337
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Back in custody

"Lewis, 18, was arrested just days after she walked away from the Des Moines women’s center where she’d been sent as part of a deferred judgment she received after pleading guilty to voluntary manslaughter and willful injury in the 2020 killing of 37-year-old Zachary Brooks. Lewis was 15 at the time." CNN
Old 9th November 2022, 11:51 AM   #338
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Seems Lewis thought it would be a good idea to stay in Des Moines, where she stood the best chance of remaining incognito. Shrewd.

Old 9th November 2022, 12:01 PM   #339
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by fertilizerspike View Post
I'm sure the rapist she terminated would agree with you

Alleged rapist.

Originally Posted by Cat Not Included View Post
Since your assumption is that the police are completely incompetent or corrupt and didn't find any verifying evidence whatsoever, why not put another spin on it? The police had a body with a lot of knife wounds and a trail of car damage. They find the car, and pick a convenient nearby vulnerable POC with a problematic history and torture/intimidate her into confessing. In terms of incidence rates, this is probably way more common that a teenage girl deciding to physically assault to murder a middle aged man and successfully doing so. As long as we're making big assumptions about the police and making hypothetical scenarios.
What verifying evidence are you referring to? My story fits the facts as much as her version does. It doesn't require a conspiracy, just a known criminal out doing criminal things.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2022, 12:24 PM   #340
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Alleged rapist.

What verifying evidence are you referring to? My story fits the facts as much as her version does. It doesn't require a conspiracy, just a known criminal out doing criminal things.
There has been no evidence that really jumps out as supporting the Sex Slave narrative, and quite a bit that supports the willing participant counter scenario. Going back to el Pimpo (whom she calls her boyfriend) with the spoils to hock on eBay leans strongly in favor of the latter. Given the meager facts/evidence, one could easily conclude that her tale of Sex Slavery was a self-serving ploy to stay out of jail. But in real fairness, we don't know enough and probably never will. At least till she kicks out a tell-all book deal while serving her decades in prison.

Btw, has Superfly been charged yet with the variety of heinous violent crimes that the cops evidently believe he has committed? Or are they still plodding along into year three of putting that case together?

Old 9th November 2022, 05:49 PM   #341
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Alleged rapist.
Nope, Rapist

The prosecutor had to have accepted that Brooks raped her (therefore that makes Brooks a rapist) otherwise there would have been no plea deal, and they would have gone after her for second-degree murder, not voluntary manslaughter.
Old 22nd November 2022, 04:50 AM   #342
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

next court appearance

Pieper Lewis was in court last week. She will be in court again on 18 January.
Old 22nd November 2022, 03:08 PM   #343
Warp12
King of Kings

I missed the updates to this thread. All I can say is, I'm not surprised. All of the second chances, and essentially getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for murdering a man in his sleep. The judge warned her she wouldn't get another chance...I'm not so sure.

But it looks like my points of her taking advantage of that back-up time will come to pass, sooner or later. And as I mentioned before, the prosecutors probably had a pretty good idea of this when they entered into the deal. It isn't much of a stretch to imagine she is a deceitful manipulator now, is it?

Last edited by Warp12; 22nd November 2022 at 03:09 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2022, 03:12 PM   #344
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
It isn't much of a stretch to imagine she is a deceitful manipulator now, is it?
Not for you, anyway. It doesn't take any arm twisting at all to get you to think a woman would do insert-terrible-thing-here. It's your default setting.
Old 22nd November 2022, 07:46 PM   #345
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Not for you, anyway. It doesn't take any arm twisting at all to get you to think a woman would do insert-terrible-thing-here. It's your default setting.
Quoted for truth!
Old 22nd November 2022, 08:06 PM   #346
Warp12
King of Kings

Btw, has Superfly been charged yet with the variety of heinous violent crimes that the cops evidently believe he has committed? Or are they still plodding along into year three of putting that case together?

Oh, I'm sure those charges are coming any day now.

This poor little princess, why do things keep going wrong for her? Bad luck, I guess. No fault of her own.

I feel bad for her because of the next person she has to kill, tbh. The justice system and gofundme have done nothing good for this young woman, let me tell you.

Can you imagine beating a murder rap where you murder someone in their sleep by stabbing them 30+ times? And then you get donated, I don't know, somewhere near half a million dollars. Then all you have to do is stay in provided housing and behave. So what do you do? Cut your ankle monitor off and proceed to escape, of course. This after explicit warning from the judge.

What was she planning, more drugs...maybe a little hooking for cash to get her by ("forced", of course)? It is just mind-blowing. Imagine the next speech at her sentencing...those beautiful crocodile tears on display.

What is even more mind-blowing is that she still has supporters. Then again, after all, she is a "victim".

Last edited by Warp12; 22nd November 2022 at 08:14 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2022, 08:33 PM   #347
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Oh, I'm sure those charges are coming any day now.

This poor little princess, why do things keep going wrong for her? Bad luck, I guess. No fault of her own.

I feel bad for her because of the next person she has to kill, tbh. The justice system and gofundme have done nothing good for this young woman, let me tell you.

Can you imagine beating a murder rap where you murder someone in their sleep by stabbing them 30+ times? And then you get donated, I don't know, somewhere near half a million dollars. Then all you have to do is stay in provided housing and behave. So what do you do? Cut your ankle monitor off and proceed to escape, of course. This after explicit warning from the judge.

What was she planning, more drugs...maybe a little hooking for cash to get her by ("forced", of course)? It is just mind-blowing. Imagine the next speech at her sentencing...those beautiful crocodile tears on display.

What is even more mind-blowing is that she still has supporters. Then again, after all, she is a "victim".
I'm not ready to go that far, without being familiar with the case and evidence. I for sure have enough to have doubts. Probably, like so many things, the real version lies somewhere in between.

Just spitballing: she might have been a fully willing participant in the hooking, but being underage, that's still a heavy no-go. Maybe Brooks took things way past her consensual point, which would amount to rape by any standard, then as she said, she lost it and went Thanksgiving turkey on his ass. Then stole his car, went back to her boyfriend, and started divvying up the spoils.

I mean, almost anything could have happened and still fit the facts, because we are so light on facts. Self-serving cover story, or gospel truth? We'll probably never know.

Old 22nd November 2022, 08:40 PM   #348
Warp12
King of Kings

Just spitballing: she might have been a fully willing participant in the hooking, but being underage, that's still a heavy no-go. Maybe Brooks took things way past her consensual point, which would amount to rape by any standard, then as she said, she lost it and went Thanksgiving turkey on his ass. Then stole his car, went back to her boyfriend, and started divvying up the spoils.

I'm not talking about any of that. I'm talking about what were her plans when she escaped? Why did she do it? Drugs? How was she going to pay her way? Sex? I mean, I get that some people are hood rats...but with all of the breaks she has been given? Her story was flimsy AF to start. Does this seem someone who is inclined to behave in a rational manner?

Does she seem trustworthy to anyone?? After her sob story in court, history of rebellion, and now this, how could anyone give her stories any credibility? Oh yeah, and that murder thing.

Last edited by Warp12; 22nd November 2022 at 08:47 PM.
Old 22nd November 2022, 11:34 PM   #349
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Just spitballing: she might have been a fully willing participant in the hooking, but being underage.
Well I don't know why you even bother to mention this in your discussions with Warp - he does not care. He has previously made it very clear that he does not have a problem with 30+ year-old men committing statutory rape.
Old 22nd November 2022, 11:40 PM   #350
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Well I don't know why you even bother to mention this in your discussions with Warp - he does not care. He has previously made it very clear that he does not have a problem with 30+ year-old men committing statutory rape.

With a tarted-up girl who is 8 months under the limit (meaning they are 16+), drinking in a bar, while brandishing false ID and lying about their age? Sure, I don't think the 30 y/o man is 100% responsible for the outcome.

What the heck does it have to do with this case of a deceitful, murderous and thieving female stabbing a man 30+ times while he sleeps? Nothing, that's what.

Furthermore, what does it have to do with this female, given every break and benefit of the doubt, with nearly half a mil raised for her, escaping the most friendly "prison" one could imagine? Nothing. She needs to be held accountable. I hope she does the whole stretch. She needs to understand personal accountability, obviously.

Last edited by Warp12; 23rd November 2022 at 12:03 AM.
Old 24th November 2022, 04:37 AM   #351
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

messing up a good deal

Regardless of what happened before, her escape suggests to me that she isn't capable of much in the way of rational calculation.
Old 24th November 2022, 05:10 AM   #352
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
Regardless of what happened before, her escape suggests to me that she isn't capable of much in the way of rational calculation.

Exactly. Probably the horrific murder she committed should have been the first sign. I mean, she actually said that she looked at the guy sleeping and snapped...stabbing him 30+ times.

I mean, I have more than touched on this before the latest event. But I can't seem to reach many people.
Old 24th November 2022, 06:54 AM   #353
catsmate
No longer the 1

I'm not ready to go that far, without being familiar with the case and evidence. I for sure have enough to have doubts. Probably, like so many things, the real version lies somewhere in between.
Oh look, the fallacy of the Middle Ground.

I mean, almost anything could have happened and still fit the facts, because we are so light on facts. Self-serving cover story, or gospel truth? We'll probably never know.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events