IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political correctness , politically correct , woke

Old 16th November 2022, 09:35 AM   #721
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
The claims made in The Independent seemed to align with those from the student paper. Not that I expect you to address any of them, but it might be fun for a change.
1st: The claims made by the Independent and the Gettysburgian are at odds with Stout's sources. Yet you can't understand the need to vet your sources.

2nd:State your claims, and I'll address them.

Last edited by wareyin; 16th November 2022 at 09:36 AM.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2022, 06:00 PM   #722
Stout
Philosopher

The stories in both The Daily Mail and The Independant were pretty much the same with the big takeaway being there's racist sexist fascist cisphobic scum haunting the sewers of Gettysburg College.

Sure, whining about the source may work as a coping method when comforted with distressing information and serve as a way to push that information away, like you did with the vegetables on your plate when you were a child.

Plus the Daily Mail had pictures of drag queens and everybody loves pictures of drag queens, right?
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2022, 06:16 PM   #723
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The benefit of an opposition press is they will report facts that the mainstream press ignores.
Old 16th November 2022, 06:24 PM   #724
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
2nd:State your claims, and I'll address them.
Here you go:
Personally, I don't think the faculty or administration ought to have intervened in this instance unless there were already clear policies in place outlining what sorts of speech will not be tolerated, which does not appear to have been the case here.
Old 17th November 2022, 12:03 AM   #725
Susheel
Master Poster

The general argument here seems to be that unless one is putting one self in danger and is risking violence or death when he/she backs a cause, it is all just "wokeness". Lucky you guys are not living in Iran or Saudi Arabia or even India. Terll me, are those people in Iran facing possibly death for refusing to cow down to religious fundamentalism (after all, how much trouble is putting on a hijab?) "woke"?
Old 17th November 2022, 06:28 AM   #726
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Here you go:
That's a whole bunch of weasel words all mushed together. Do you have an actual claim?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 06:33 AM   #727
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The benefit of an opposition press is they will report facts that the mainstream press ignores.
And the worldwide coverage of a tiny private college taking down a couple of posters a student put up to invite others to draw with them was a benefit for...who? The conservative who graduated from that college but no longer attends and didn't see the poster in question in person that got to be interviewed?

Have any of you ever been near a college before? Students put up and have posters taken down all the time, and have since students could easily make posters. This isn't news, and the pathetic attempts by the right wing media to make it a controversy (as well as the gullible marks who eat that up and then spread it more themselves) are...well, typical for the right wing media and their consumers.
Old 17th November 2022, 04:40 PM   #728
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

That's a whole bunch of weasel words all mushed together.
If that's all you're seeing, there isn't anything more I can do to help. I've stated my position on the cancellation of the (racist & sexist) artistic workshop; we've yet to hear yours.
Old 18th November 2022, 05:32 AM   #729
catsmate
No longer the 1

When the source of the story is known for fabrication and misleading slants, addressing the source of the story is a good idea. Well, if you want to play a gullible rube on the net, then it's probably better for you to swallow the story whole without considering the source at all.
Indeed, especially given how often our resident "conservatives", "free speech advocates" and "anti-woke activists" have fallen for outright faked stories.

Had you read your link and Stout's link, you would have swiftly come to the conclusion that the source of the story matters greatly to the accuracy of claims made. The fact that you're still feigning confusion about the source of a story mattering demonstrates that you have not actually read the links. As usual.
Nah, that'd be too much like work, rather than puerile point-scoring against "liberals".
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2022, 05:33 AM   #730
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
The stories in both The Daily Mail and The Independant [sic]were pretty much the same with the big takeaway being there's racist sexist fascist cisphobic scum haunting the sewers of Gettysburg College.
<gibber ship>
Oh look, wallpaper words.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2022, 06:16 AM   #731
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

If that's all you're seeing, there isn't anything more I can do to help. I've stated my position on the cancellation of the (racist & sexist) artistic workshop; we've yet to hear yours.
Your position is that you don't think...unless...which doesn't appear...

That's not saying anything, that's mealymouthed weasel words.
Old 20th November 2022, 01:56 PM   #732
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

If that's all you're seeing, there isn't anything more I can do to help.
Well, you won't be able to help me either.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 02:47 PM   #733
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Because USAian style economics and its supporting political theory is based on a sociopathic disdain for others.
Well, we have removed all doubts you just plain do not like Americans.
I have noted the a vast majority of people who use USAian do not like Americans very much.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 02:50 PM   #734
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And the worldwide coverage of a tiny private college taking down a couple of posters a student put up to invite others to draw with them was a benefit for...who? The conservative who graduated from that college but no longer attends and didn't see the poster in question in person that got to be interviewed?

Have any of you ever been near a college before? Students put up and have posters taken down all the time, and have since students could easily make posters. This isn't news, and the pathetic attempts by the right wing media to make it a controversy (as well as the gullible marks who eat that up and then spread it more themselves) are...well, typical for the right wing media and their consumers.
I suggest that this was Gettysburg college had something to do with the attention.
The college was fought over in the battle of Gettysburg and was used by both sides as headquarters. It;s part of the standard tour of the battlefield, and some of the older buildings still have bullet holes from the battle.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 05:23 PM   #735
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I have noted the a vast majority of people who use USAian do not like Americans very much.
To be fair, I don't much like "America" but I am OK with most Americans I have met.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 05:56 PM   #736
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

We used to have a poster who got very angry whenever anyone used that term. As a result and out of respect for their wishes I stopped using it.

I guess that's "woke" now too.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2022, 09:06 AM   #737
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Eh, I'm an American and I use USAian. The post you quoted removed all doubts that they don't like our economic system, but our economic system =/= our country.

I've worked with enough people who got sick (cancer), couldn't continue to work due to that sickness, then lost their job and because of that their insurance/ability to pay for medical care to survive that sickness, that I agree a large part of our economy is sociopathic disdain for others.
Old 21st November 2022, 12:21 PM   #738
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Eh, I'm an American and I use USAian. The post you quoted removed all doubts that they don't like our economic system, but our economic system =/= our country.

I've worked with enough people who got sick (cancer), couldn't continue to work due to that sickness, then lost their job and because of that their insurance/ability to pay for medical care to survive that sickness, that I agree a large part of our economy is sociopathic disdain for others.
Yup, that's my chief problem with America - or more with Republican influenced side of America

- The utter disregard for the oppressed and downtrodden
- The systemic racism
- The interest only in tax-cuts for rich donors at the expense of the poor
- The frenetic appointment right-wing judges to keep power when in opposition
- Guns

The you have scumbag senators like Rick Scott who wants all Healthcare and Social Welfare legislation to sunset five years after it is passed, so that when Democrats pass such legislation while they are in power, Republicans don't even have to argue to overturn it when they get power, they can just let it all lapse and thereby avoid having to deal with all those pesky obstacles like the courts and people's constitutional rights.
Old 21st November 2022, 05:19 PM   #739
Stout
Philosopher

OMG!...England!. Didn't you learn anything when that guy got reported for singing Kung Fu Fighting?

'Cultural insensitivity' is the Wishy Washy reason that charity Aladdin panto got the Chop Chop

I suppose these cast members should consider themselves lucky their rehearsals didn't get taken out by a SWAT team.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2022, 12:23 AM   #740
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stout
OMG!...England!. Didn't you learn anything when that guy got reported for singing Kung Fu Fighting?

'Cultural insensitivity' is the Wishy Washy reason that charity Aladdin panto got the Chop Chop

I suppose these cast members should consider themselves lucky their rehearsals didn't get taken out by a SWAT team.
It will be Punch and Judy next...
Old 22nd November 2022, 12:29 AM   #741
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
It will be Punch and Judy next...
Domestic violence in a children's puppet show? Yeah, people have raised eyebrows at that, but it's generally regarded as harmless fun, mostly since it is obviously a puppet show and doesn't pretend to be anything else. You can still see Punch and Judy shows in a lot of countries, and it still follows the same basic plot - Judy asks Punch to look after the baby, he fails at this duty, they get into a fight, a policeman comes, Punch murders the policeman, Punch murders pretty much everyone else. Harmless fun.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2022, 08:03 AM   #742
catsmate
No longer the 1

Oh good grief, you really are reading [b]your[b] prejudices into my comment.
I made no mention of Americans, you read that into my comment on the US economic system.
Do you dispute that USAian capitalism cares nothing for human beings?
Old 24th November 2022, 08:04 AM   #743
catsmate
No longer the 1

Eactly. So many people here seem to have developed telepathy....
Old 24th November 2022, 08:51 AM   #744
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

I agree that it's a reach to accuse the panto of cultural insensitivity but it also appears to me that the refusal to "sanitise" the offending names by the cast and producers is piling spite upon spite that only hurts the charities involved and local panto fans.

One group may well be classed as woke, the other seem to be asleep.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2022, 04:24 PM   #745
Stout
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I agree that it's a reach to accuse the panto of cultural insensitivity but it also appears to me that the refusal to "sanitise" the offending names by the cast and producers is piling spite upon spite that only hurts the charities involved and local panto fans.

One group may well be classed as woke, the other seem to be asleep.
One would think it would be a simple thing to change the name of a couple of characters then carry on however I suspect there's more going on that the article reveals.

If I had to guess, the committee employed some sort of sensitivity reader who delivered a wholesale condemnation of the script (e.g., actors portraying characters outside their race) and rather than risk having the cast transported to Australia they decided the best course of action was to kowtow to the woke complainers and scrub the whole production.
Old 25th November 2022, 05:06 PM   #746
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

That's not saying anything, that's mealymouthed weasel words.
Once again, you've failed to state your own position.
Old 26th November 2022, 01:58 AM   #747
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

One would think it would be a simple thing to change the name of a couple of characters then carry on however I suspect there's more going on that the article reveals.

If I had to guess, the committee employed some sort of sensitivity reader who delivered a wholesale condemnation of the script (e.g., actors portraying characters outside their race) and rather than risk having the cast transported to Australia they decided the best course of action was to kowtow to the woke complainers and scrub the whole production.
Given that men play women, women play men and that panto will have one "Chinese" character played by a non native it would be a car crash of sensitivity issues.

Such pantos with these roles are a traditional staple in the UK at Xmas.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2022, 05:45 PM   #748
Stout
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Given that men play women, women play men and that panto will have one "Chinese" character played by a non native it would be a car crash of sensitivity issues.

Such pantos with these roles are a traditional staple in the UK at Xmas.
Under woke doctrine gender bending is AOK but the race thing could land the cast a visit from The Keystone Cops, which might just make for an interesting and hilarious ending to a pantomime in these censorship happy times.
Old 27th November 2022, 07:35 AM   #749
Stout
Philosopher

Today's episode of hilarity in wokeness once again comes out of England.

Jesus could have been transgender.

When he was hanging around on the cross getting stabbed by a Roman (who were all transgender due to the skirts they wore, probably) spear, the wound in his side looked like a vagina, complete with blood flowing down to his groin.
Old 27th November 2022, 07:40 AM   #750
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Today's episode of hilarity in wokeness once again comes out of England.

Jesus could have been transgender.

When he was hanging around on the cross getting stabbed by a Roman (who were all transgender due to the skirts they wore, probably) spear, the wound in his side looked like a vagina, complete with blood flowing down to his groin.
The best part is, the claim is based on artistic representations from the Rennaissance period. I had to read the article twice, carefully, to confirm that the claimant really was trying to say that these paintings were accurate representations of Jesus, and constituted good evidence for what he really looked like and what his gender identity really might have been.

Really, it's the weird modern habit of attributing current fads and fashions to earlier periods. Like the knee-jerk assumption that every homosocial depiction from antiquity onwards must necessarily be homosexual.
Old 27th November 2022, 08:02 AM   #751
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The best part is, the claim is based on artistic representations from the Rennaissance period. I had to read the article twice, carefully, to confirm that the claimant really was trying to say that these paintings were accurate representations of Jesus, and constituted good evidence for what he really looked like and what his gender identity really might have been.

Really, it's the weird modern habit of attributing current fads and fashions to earlier periods. Like the knee-jerk assumption that every homosocial depiction from antiquity onwards must necessarily be homosexual.
They tie up with the Shroud of Turin so seem very authentic to me!
Old 27th November 2022, 12:43 PM   #752
IsThisTheLife
Muse

So a picture of a bleeding wound makes some observer think of a menstruating vulva. Does this tell you something about the picture, or the observer?
Old 28th November 2022, 07:04 AM   #753
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Once again, you've failed to state your own position.
That's nice, but as this is your boogieman and yet you can't state a position, why should anyone else have to?
Old 28th November 2022, 09:34 AM   #754
Stout
Philosopher

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
So a picture of a bleeding wound makes some observer think of a menstruating vulva. Does this tell you something about the picture, or the observer?
Seriously, how hard to you have to torque your interpretation of art to come up with this crap?
Old 4th December 2022, 01:21 PM   #755
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Ron DiSantos's lawyers have defined "woke" in response to the lawsuit challening their "anti-woke" law. They say woke is, "The belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them."

And it absolutely needs to be made illegal for government employees.
Old 4th December 2022, 01:52 PM   #756
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'd define it as "the ongoing process of uncritically discovering novel systemic injustices, and uncritically endorsing such discoveries proclaimed by others."
Old 4th December 2022, 02:40 PM   #757
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I'd define it as "the ongoing process of uncritically discovering novel systemic injustices, and uncritically endorsing such discoveries proclaimed by others."
So by your definition there, you would not be "woke" if you endorsed old, long-standing systemic injustices, nor if you did it critically?

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM   #758
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Ron DiSantos's lawyers have defined "woke" in response to the lawsuit challening their "anti-woke" law. They say woke is, "The belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them."
Here is the source for that quote:

https://twitter.com/elfsternberg/sta...23334642012160
Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM   #759
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
So by your definition there, you would not be "woke" if you endorsed old, long-standing systemic injustices, nor if you did it critically?
Who said anything about endorsing injustices?
Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM   #760
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Who said anything about endorsing injustices?
Unless you have suddenly and unexpectedly succumbed to the error of run-on sentences you did:

"discovering novel systemic injustices, and uncritically endorsing such discoveries"

As I said, I presume that statement excludes endorsing injustices that are not novel, and critical evaluation.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events