IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th February 2022, 07:36 AM   #161
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
If it was still in operation I suppose I could have closed it on the guy. Then he would have had to do the Indiana Jones beat-the-slowly-closing-door sprint to escape with the package that wasn't mine. And all my future deliveries would be left by the road instead of on my porch.
After getting the Ace Ventura treatment!

The question I've been asking myself is, "I wonder what these two mouth breathers had on their porch that they were afraid someone else was stealing?"

I'm completely judging these two books by their covers, but they don't look like the type that keep a lot of high priced valuables laying around. Maybe some collectible NASCAR plates, or a few guns.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2022, 10:30 AM   #162
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
After getting the Ace Ventura treatment!

The question I've been asking myself is, "I wonder what these two mouth breathers had on their porch that they were afraid someone else was stealing?"

I'm completely judging these two books by their covers, but they don't look like the type that keep a lot of high priced valuables laying around. Maybe some collectible NASCAR plates, or a few guns.
That occurred to me too. If they thought someone was stealing something, it sort of follows that they had reason to believe there was something to steal.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2022, 10:46 AM   #163
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
That occurred to me too. If they thought someone was stealing something, it sort of follows that they had reason to believe there was something to steal.
If the Cases weren't expecting any deliveries (and they weren't), they would have just seen a rental truck rolling in his driveway, set well back off the street, and maybe a stranger in the dark jump out quickly and back. For a paranoid sort, at least suspicious, I think it's fair to say.

Not that it would mean to call your kin from down the road and have him stand out in the street with a ******* gun, of course. And the whole chase and shoot thing is right out. But I can see how it started. The elder Case even notified police about the suspicious stranger. Prob should have included the whole "so we tried to murder him" detail thingy, though.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2022, 02:52 PM   #164
TomB
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
If the Cases weren't expecting any deliveries (and they weren't), they would have just seen a rental truck rolling in his driveway, set well back off the street, and maybe a stranger in the dark jump out quickly and back. For a paranoid sort, at least suspicious, I think it's fair to say.

Not that it would mean to call your kin from down the road and have him stand out in the street with a ******* gun, of course. And the whole chase and shoot thing is right out. But I can see how it started. The elder Case even notified police about the suspicious stranger. Prob should have included the whole "so we tried to murder him" detail thingy, though.
I also can see how it started. Partly because I had a thief tell me the MO to rob my house would be to pull a rental truck up into the driveway.

So I get approaching or flagging down someone on your property to ask why they are there. Doing so in a hostile manner...trying to cut off the exit or displaying a gun is not how I'd go about investigating though.
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2022, 08:01 AM   #165
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by TomB View Post
I also can see how it started. Partly because I had a thief tell me the MO to rob my house would be to pull a rental truck up into the driveway.
But if they're watching that closely, then they'd see he would have taken a single item. He only went from the van to the house and back. So he rented a rental van to pull up and snag an individual box? I'm not accusing the two of being the sharpest tools in the shed, but it would be pretty weird.

You pick a house tucked back with only one escape route to rob? You rent a van and take a single item? You intend to fill a van with 1 person loading everything? Obviously I'm looking at everything in hindsight, and you're guess is probably right. I just hope I'm smarter than that.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2022, 08:08 AM   #166
SuburbanTurkey

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
But if they're watching that closely, then they'd see he would have taken a single item. He only went from the van to the house and back. So he rented a rental van to pull up and snag an individual box? I'm not accusing the two of being the sharpest tools in the shed, but it would be pretty weird.

You pick a house tucked back with only one escape route to rob? You rent a van and take a single item? You intend to fill a van with 1 person loading everything? Obviously I'm looking at everything in hindsight, and you're guess is probably right. I just hope I'm smarter than that.
There's certainly a large segment of this country that is brain-poisoned enough to think that crimes, both petty and serious, is some rampant out of control problem. Huge numbers of people have internalized propaganda that hearing hoofbeats means zebras are afoot.

You'd have to be delusional to immediately assume that a deliveryman in a rental truck is most likely to be a thief rather than anything else, and your brain must be broken to think a rolling gunfight is an appropriate response to petty crime.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 10th February 2022 at 08:10 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2022, 08:36 AM   #167
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
There's certainly a large segment of this country that is brain-poisoned enough to think that crimes, both petty and serious, is some rampant out of control problem. Huge numbers of people have internalized propaganda that hearing hoofbeats means zebras are afoot.

You'd have to be delusional to immediately assume that a deliveryman in a rental truck is most likely to be a thief rather than anything else, and your brain must be broken to think a rolling gunfight is an appropriate response to petty crime.
+1

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2022, 04:21 AM   #168
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

So now it's much more clear what happened here.

The delivery driver was dropping off a package. Someone wasn't expecting a package and got "suspicious", so they called the police. But the driver started leaving after completing the delivery, and the assailants did not find it acceptable that the "suspicious person" was leaving (read: "getting away"), and decided that killing the suspicious person before he could escape was a reasonable thing to do.

The driver did not call his supervisor, he was focused on just getting away while being shot at, and the supervisor happened to call him during the chase.

Also, although a FedEx manager did say he would file a police report the next morning, that did not satisfy the delivery driver, who called the police himself immediately after talking to the manager:

Quote:
Once Gibson left Brookhaven and felt safe, he called another FedEx manager who said they would file a police report in the morning. But Gibson said he wasn't comfortable waiting and called Brookhaven Police dispatch.

Gibson said at one point, the dispatcher cut him off and asked whether he had been at a certain address, and Gibson said he had. The dispatcher told Gibson they had just received a report of a suspicious person at that address. Gibson said he told dispatch he wasn't a suspicious person -- he was a FedEx worker and was just doing his job.

After talking to dispatch, Gibson returned to the FedEx station, and he and his manager found bullet holes in the van and packages. He filed a report with FedEx that night. The next morning, Gibson went with a manager to the Brookhaven police station, where he said police weren't taking him seriously.

Gibson said one officer incorrectly repeated his statement back to him three or four times before finally getting it right. The second officer told Gibson he was going to play "devil's advocate" and asked Gibson, "Did you do anything to make them think you were suspicious?"

Gibson said, "That was a slap in the face to me." Gibson said the third officer got him to write his own statement and then took Gibson to the crime scene, where the officer asked whether he wanted to look for bullet fragments. Gibson said he did, but they didn't find any.

Brookhaven Police Chief Kenneth Collins told CNN in an interview Thursday that Gibson was a "great witness," and when asked why the Cases weren't arrested for eight days, he said investigations take time. Collins said they had arrest warrants drawn up and when the pair came to the station for an interview, they were arrested.
The article includes a photo of a bullet hole in the delivery truck.

This sequence of events pretty much clears up all of the details some seemed to think were suspicious about the driver's reaction to the attempt on his life.

Last edited by Checkmite; 11th February 2022 at 04:22 AM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2022, 06:05 AM   #169
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Fun fact: after filing the police report the next morning, the driver (Gibson) was told by FedEx to get back to work...driving the same route he was just peppered with bullets on. After a couple days, Gibson was strangely becoming a tad less than comfortable running this same route, what with a hail of gunfire and psycho rednecks having been shown to be somewhat more than an abstract threat, so FedEx put him on unpaid leave.

Unpaid leave. Because he was wired about driving the same route people tried to murder him on, while they were still running around loose.

Last edited by Thermal; 11th February 2022 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11th February 2022, 08:09 AM   #170
plague311
Great minds think...

I bet that'll change now that this story is becoming a bit more popular. I'll message them and voice my displeasure. The man should be compensated for sure.
Old 11th February 2022, 08:19 AM   #171
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

We gots a horse race now. Which is more callous: shuffling your feet for a week about putting an arrest warrant together for identified attempted murderers, versus ordering the intended victim right back into the hood where said psychos are still running loose?

Old 11th February 2022, 08:22 AM   #172
SuburbanTurkey

could be worse, like when UPS praised the cops that gunned down a driver taken hostage by hijackers.

ETA: Fedex, in contrast to UPS, is not unionized. I imagine a union UPS driver would have more recourse in such a scenario.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 11th February 2022 at 08:23 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2022, 08:27 AM   #173
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

*Union BA yells loudly at tombstone*

"We got your back Frank!!"

Old 11th February 2022, 08:29 AM   #174
SuburbanTurkey

*Union BA yells loudly at tombstone*

"We got your back Frank!!"
I dunno, not sucking the dick of the agency that killed your employee seems like a low bar.

I'm just saying if Fedex was unionized, this guy would probably be driving a different route rather than being on unpaid leave for getting shot at.
Old 11th February 2022, 08:51 AM   #175
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I dunno, not sucking the dick of the agency that killed your employee seems like a low bar.

I'm just saying if Fedex was unionized, this guy would probably be driving a different route rather than being on unpaid leave for getting shot at.
Agreed, was jk.

Really surprising that anyone would need to be told that sending Gibson back on the same route when the shooters were still there is perhaps not, you know, human to demand.

Old 11th February 2022, 10:41 AM   #176
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

could be worse, like when UPS praised the cops that gunned down a driver taken hostage by hijackers.

ETA: Fedex, in contrast to UPS, is not unionized. I imagine a union UPS driver would have more recourse in such a scenario.
I dunno about this particular guy, but Fedex -- and Amazon and some other operations -- use a lot of contract drivers. They are not actually employees, so they aren't entitled to whatever benefits, like sick leave, actual employees would get. He might have a contract just to operate that particular route.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2022, 10:47 AM   #177
TomB
Graduate Poster

Agreed.

But I don't think it would be unusual upon seeing an unexpected vehicle in your drive to want to check out what that person was doing there. I mean, when I see utility workers walk into my backyard, I take a look at what they are doing back there.

But it's a long step from there to chasing them down and taking shots at their truck.
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2022, 10:59 AM   #178
TomB
Graduate Poster

Agreed, was jk.

Really surprising that anyone would need to be told that sending Gibson back on the same route when the shooters were still there is perhaps not, you know, human to demand.
I agree, in general.

However, I think, especially given earlier assertions that after seven months on the route people would (or should) recognize the Fed Ex driver in their area. it worth noting that the nature of Fed Ex and UPS routes is different than USPS routes.

Except for businesses and the crazy lady who orders of EBay every day, these drivers are not stopping at the same houses or driving the same streets each day. They only go to places where there is a package being delivered or a requested package pick-up. This is nothing like Postal Workers who stop at every house every day. It's more like a pizza delivery person really.

I know our postal carrier. We give him a Christmas card every year. I have no idea who the Fed Ex or UPS drivers are in my area. They don't come to my house regularly and don't drive down my street regularly.

From Fed Ex's perspective, keeping him on that route may not involve sending him anywhere near where he was shot at. they may have accommodated a request not to deliver to that specific address or road.
Old 11th February 2022, 01:23 PM   #179
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed.

But I don't think it would be unusual upon seeing an unexpected vehicle in your drive to want to check out what that person was doing there. I mean, when I see utility workers walk into my backyard, I take a look at what they are doing back there.
Sure

"You need something?"
"Oh, I'm just dropping off a package" or "I delivered the wrong package, sorry" or "Just checking the utility line"

Wow, that's pretty easy, and you can do it without ever shooting at them.

Of course, if he's black, that changes everything, right?
Old 11th February 2022, 01:31 PM   #180
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed.

But it's a long step from there to chasing them down and taking shots at their truck.
Yeah, sure. I live out in the country, and when somebody stops in my sight, like on the road, or in front of one of my buildings, I come out, and ask something like "What's up " or "Everhything OK?" and they usually tell me they dropped something or got a phone call or ask if I know where so-and-so lives, or ask if that whosis is for sale, and life goes on.

bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2022, 01:35 PM   #181
TomB
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Sure

"You need something?"
"Oh, I'm just dropping off a package" or "I delivered the wrong package, sorry" or "Just checking the utility line"

Wow, that's pretty easy, and you can do it without ever shooting at them.
Which is why I included the last line of the post that you elected not to quote.
I'm not on the shooter's side. At all.
Quote:
Of course, if he's black, that changes everything, right?
Nope. Not at all.
As I made clear, I'm against chasing down or shooting delivery men. Of any color. Not even the DHL guy.
Old 11th February 2022, 01:38 PM   #182
TomB
Graduate Poster

Yeah, sure. I live out in the country, and when somebody stops in my sight, like on the road, or in front of one of my buildings, I come out, and ask something like "What's up " or "Everhything OK?" and they usually tell me they dropped something or got a phone call or ask if I know where so-and-so lives, or ask if that whosis is for sale, and life goes on.
Exactly. We are in agreement.

These dumbasses appear to have started by making such an interaction needlessly threatening and then compounded it by actually pursuing and shooting at him.
Old 11th February 2022, 02:23 PM   #183
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Is what Case the Elder did so different, though? He apparently lives in the smaller front house. Sees a rental truck go up his drive at night. Might even have been the second time within the last few minutes, if Gibson misdirected a package there earlier. Case jumps in his pickup (reasonable, because of the long driveway), and Gibson is already back in his truck and heading out. Gibson says he tried to get around the pickup before even speaking to Case, and ended up driving over the lawn to get around the owner in his own driveway. This is all before a word is exchanged or gun comes out or anything.

So I'm a driver on someone else's private property. What do I do? I'm thinking stick my head out the window and say "sorry man, dropped a package at the wrong address". Seem more reasonable than evasive action and driving over the guys lawn without speaking to him? I kind of think so.

The rest of the insanity is indefensible in this or any world.

Old 11th February 2022, 02:39 PM   #184
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I agree, in general.

However, I think, especially given earlier assertions that after seven months on the route people would (or should) recognize the Fed Ex driver in their area. it worth noting that the nature of Fed Ex and UPS routes is different than USPS routes.
Well yeah. I did it for a couple of years. Each morning, you would have no clue what route you might be given.

Except for businesses and the crazy lady who orders of EBay every day, these drivers are not stopping at the same houses or driving the same streets each day. They only go to places where there is a package being delivered or a requested package pick-up. This is nothing like Postal Workers who stop at every house every day. It's more like a pizza delivery person really.
Correct. You don't rock up to the same place every day, or week, or month. When you deliver a package, you will almost certainly never see that person again in your life.

I know our postal carrier. We give him a Christmas card every year. I have no idea who the Fed Ex or UPS drivers are in my area. They don't come to my house regularly and don't drive down my street regularly.
Because your Fedex or UPS drivers are likely different every day. It is only when you have actually done it that you realise how bonkers it is.

From Fed Ex's perspective, keeping him on that route may not involve sending him anywhere near where he was shot at. they may have accommodated a request not to deliver to that specific address or road.
From experience, it is more efficient to keep a driver on the same route, they will deliver quicker. Not to the same houses of course, but they will know the route.

But that is why I stopped doing it. When one is threatened with two large dogs and a shotgun one must question why are you even doing this. Back at base in dispatch, turns out the loon had complained that the delivery driver had not showed up. I have no desire to have a gun shoved in my face while attempting to deliver some running shoes you ordered.

That is not how it works, that is not how anything works

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2022, 02:46 PM   #185
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I agree, in general.

Right, and I can't remember the last time I saw a FedEx delivery, although im sure I got one sometime. My mail carrier also gets an Xmas card, and he is not even the carrier every day. Nor is my regular UPS guy, who delivers maybe half the packages (but is a personal buddy from elsewhere).

In this situation though, FedEx should have had only one thing on their mind: there were a pair of whackos running loose and trying to kill one of their drivers. Under no circumstances does Gibson go within, say, two miles of that street. Nor should any other FedEx drivers, till the shooters are in custody.

Old 11th February 2022, 02:55 PM   #186
Checkmite

It's been referred to as "Mean World Syndrome".
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2022, 03:30 PM   #187
deadrose
Illuminator

Fun fact: after filing the police report the next morning, the driver (Gibson) was told by FedEx to get back to work...driving the same route he was just peppered with bullets on. After a couple days, Gibson was strangely becoming a tad less than comfortable running this same route, what with a hail of gunfire and psycho rednecks having been shown to be somewhat more than an abstract threat, so FedEx put him on unpaid leave.

Unpaid leave. Because he was wired about driving the same route people tried to murder him on, while they were still running around loose.
That doesn't surprise me at all. Clear back in the 80's when I worked for Fotomat, the first time I was held up at gunpoint, not only did the head office respond with "oh yeah, him again", but they expected me to sit in my little kiosk after closing (with whatever was left of the day's take) and do inventory. I was rescued, so to speak, by some of my regular customers, 1%er bikers whose clubhouse was just down the road. They sat & guarded me, then escorted me to the BART station when I was done. Oddly chivalrous.

But yeah, companies don't give a crap & never have. It was cheaper to have employees held up at gunpoint regularly than to spend money on any sort of security. FedEx only cares that deliveries are done fast, not well or accurately. Why would they care about someone shooting at a delivery driver?
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2022, 07:07 PM   #188
Checkmite

Brandon and Gregory Case, the father and son who chased and shot at the delivery van in this case, have been arrested and indicted on upgraded first-degree murder charges for their assault against the victim, D’Monterrio Gibson.
Old 22nd November 2022, 07:21 PM   #189
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Brandon and Gregory Case, the father and son who chased and shot at the delivery van in this case, have been arrested and indicted on upgraded first-degree murder charges for their assault against the victim, D’Monterrio Gibson.
Assume just typo in link description, it's attempted first degree murder.

Old 22nd November 2022, 08:10 PM   #190
Checkmite

Assume just typo in link description, it's attempted first degree murder.
That's right, my bad.

It's attempted murder, along with conspiracy and firing-into-a-vehicle which is evidently its own ancillary charge.
Old 22nd November 2022, 08:40 PM   #191
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
That's right, my bad.

It's attempted murder, along with conspiracy and firing-into-a-vehicle which is evidently its own ancillary charge.
My head kept trying to read that as artillery charge, and I was thinking, a bit much isn't it?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2022, 05:58 AM   #192
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

An IQ test for gun ownership wouldn't bother me. And driver's license too. It might even be constitutional.
Old 24th November 2022, 06:49 PM   #193
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
An IQ test for gun ownership wouldn't bother me. And driver's license too. It might even be constitutional.

I don't see the word "gun" mentioned in the constitution at all. Gun rights folk really don't have much to stand on when it comes to that document. The horrible interpretations of the 2A are the problem, far as I can see.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events