IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gun control , shooting incidents

Old 22nd November 2022, 07:57 AM   #2161
Bogative
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63693310

Bogative, you missed this one, odd, you're usually quite quick with shootings.

I didn't miss it. I read GVA's summary of the shooting and just assumed it was typical of the other 100 or so "bar/club incidents" that have occurred already this year. I thought I would give it a few days until more details were available before posting.

I can see now this is a special/rare mass shooting and I'm supposed to care more about this one compared to the other 600+ mass shootings that have already occurred this year.

On the day of and the day after this shooting, there were four other mass shootings with 6 people dead and 14 wounded. I see no reason to clutch my pearls over this one incident.
Old 22nd November 2022, 08:46 AM   #2162
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
And they were a morbidly obese man and a drag queen in heels, both unarmed.

CNN reporting they are set to replace the entire police force in Uvalde.
There is some indication that the New York Times screwed up the reporting and identified the woman as a drag performer when she's just a trans woman. They have a history of this and they initially misgendered the partner of the daughter of the man who tackled the shooter as well.

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Very sadly I've found myself thinking that because of who the attack was aimed at some folk might not be entirely sympathetic.
A famous fake gay rights organization (that is made up of 95% cishet people and gets funding from far right sources) responded by showing concern for the LGB victims, after it was already known one of the victims was trans gender. They are also feigning indignation that anyone called them on it, saying they mean all the victims, even though they only specified the gay, lesbian, and bisexual ones.

And of course are all the false equivalencies about how other shootings that weren't targeted because of immutable personal characteristics, as if mainstream right wing terrorism is the same as turf wars. It's normalization. They call anyone not opposed to lgbtq publicly existing a direct threat to children, child rapists, and then pretend they have no idea why anyone would commit terrorism over it. 'You're child mutilating, child raping, groomers, but why would someone kill you over it?' Yeah, cowards all the way down. Morally, intellectually, physically.

Last edited by tyr_13; 22nd November 2022 at 08:55 AM. Reason: missing c placed
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2022, 11:08 AM   #2163
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
There is some indication that the New York Times screwed up the reporting and identified the woman as a drag performer when she's just a trans woman. They have a history of this and they initially misgendered the partner of the daughter of the man who tackled the shooter as well.
To make this part more clear, the person who helped Fierro was reported as a drag queen when she is just a trans woman and Fierro's daughter's partner was Raymond Vance, a cishet man there for the first time with his girlfriend's family.

Many are confused why several straight people where there, and specifically a member of the military, and to them all I can say is, why not?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2022, 12:43 PM   #2164
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
The Colorado Springs nightclub shooter has the same name as a guy arrested for a bomb threat last year.

In a rational society that would keep him from owning a ******* gun.
Same person, but parts of Colarado, including El Paso county, flout the state's 'Red Flag' laws through the“second amendment sanctuary” bollocks.
After all guns are more important than people to sone.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2022, 01:17 PM   #2165
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

And of course are all the false equivalencies about how other shootings that weren't targeted because of immutable personal characteristics, as if mainstream right wing terrorism is the same as turf wars. It's normalization. They call anyone not opposed to lgbtq publicly existing a direct threat to children, child rapists, and then pretend they have no idea why anyone would commit terrorism over it. 'You're child mutilating, child raping, groomers, but why would someone kill you over it?' Yeah, cowards all the way down. Morally, intellectually, physically.
And this is consistent across the gamut of right-wing rhetoric, including things like the racist/anti-Semitic "white replacement" theory that they've recently mainstreamed. They are increasingly rhetorically portraying things like the existence of LGBTQ people and non-white immigration as quite literally existential threats, and this kind of treatment logically can only lead to incidents like this. When you are faced with an imminent threat of death, violent resistance is the only way to save your life, after all.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2022, 02:20 PM   #2166
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, but I'm sure you got my point: these weren't a pair of ninjas or Navy SEALS fresh from unarmed combat training who wandered by. It just takes balls of steel, even if obese or rocking high heels. Respect.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2022, 07:53 PM   #2167
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
And this is consistent across the gamut of right-wing rhetoric, including things like the racist/anti-Semitic "white replacement" theory that they've recently mainstreamed. They are increasingly rhetorically portraying things like the existence of LGBTQ people and non-white immigration as quite literally existential threats, and this kind of treatment logically can only lead to incidents like this. When you are faced with an imminent threat of death, violent resistance is the only way to save your life, after all.
And like all those things they're too cowardly to even own their arguments. They're doubling down on the violent dehumanization here and denying they're doing it.

They are claiming they never called gay people groomers. No, they claim they call people who are grooming groomers.

What do they call grooming? Public participation by non-straight people. Existing as a trans gender person. Acknowledging the existence of non-straight people. 'We aren't calling you a groomer for being gay, we're calling you a groomer for existing while gay,' is such the pathetic **** take.

The drag show was of course what people who are 'honestly, really, double sure not defending the shooter' say was 'grooming'. I don't know what reason they have for thinking drag is inherently about sexual activity, but it just isn't. 'What do you mean it's not sexual? Why else would those gays give me these feelings?' Why would anyone seriously believe the idea that the mainstream GOP is calling a wide swath of society literal child sex trafficking rapists who are coming for YOUR child, but NOT advocating for violence?

For 'good' examples of this look at the vile things Tim Pool is saying, also known as 'the quiet part out loud'.

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Yeah, but I'm sure you got my point: these weren't a pair of ninjas or Navy SEALS fresh from unarmed combat training who wandered by. It just takes balls of steel, even if obese or rocking high heels. Respect.
I mean, I know what you're saying, but the 'obese' guy is a retired major from the Army, with three tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan with two Bronze Stars.

To point out the balls on these two though, Fierro had to rush across half the bar to get up behind the shooter, who was heading to the patio a lot of people had escaped to. Fierro is six foot and 300 lbs, but the shooter is apparently at least several inches taller and weighing at least as much. Fierro grabbed the drag handle on the man's extensive body armor and dragged him down. Again, the very large man holding an AR pattern rifle. The shooter pulled out a handgun, which Fierro then took from him, and started pommeling him in the face with it, because the man was armored everywhere else. He kept doing that until police arrived.

There is a reason the shooter isn't in jail yet; he can't be released from the hospital because of how badly his face and head were beaten in.

So, yeah, Fierro and the woman who heel stomped the shooter (and the unidentified person who grabbed the rifle and pulled it away from reach), have steel bits. Yeah, it's what was needed. But Fierro was also an uncommon badass already with a lot of training.
Old 22nd November 2022, 10:05 PM   #2168
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Actual grooming, as we've just seen from the conviction of a Republican, is something that happens in PRIVATE and SECRET, by definition.

The fact that these are Public Events disproves all claims about grooming - some people just hate it that being queer is no longer something to be ashamed about.
Old 22nd November 2022, 10:23 PM   #2169
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Police confirming "multiple fatalities" at a Walmart near Norfolk this evening after an active shooting; breaking situation
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2022, 11:11 PM   #2170
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Another day in America.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2022, 04:37 AM   #2171
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The American Disease has become so normalized that these spree shootings no longer even get reported in our news.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2022, 04:41 AM   #2172
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The American Disease has become so normalized that these spree shootings no longer even get reported in our news.
And the more that occur, the more likely each of us is to be impacted. I lived near to that Wal-Mart for years and shopped there.
Old 23rd November 2022, 05:22 AM   #2173
Lothian
should be banned

I have said for years. You guys need to have loads of guns hanging next to fire extinguishers in malls so the good guys can grab them when the bad guys come along.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2022, 05:24 AM   #2174
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
I have said for years. You guys need to have loads of guns hanging next to fire extinguishers in malls so the good guys can grab them when the bad guys come along.
Seems only sensible.
Old 23rd November 2022, 05:47 AM   #2175
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Seems only sensible.
It is sad that Americans don't care about the most vulnerable in society and leave them defenceless.

It is no wonder we see regular school shootings where victims are forbidden to own guns. Why, why, do legislators not think of the children and put a gun under every school desk.

Similarly drunks will find it hard to aim a pistol with any accuracy. Therefore bars should put a semi automatic guns, which spay bullets and are therefore more likely to hit the bad guy, under their tables.

Together with enough good guys armed we can eliminate gun crime.

Last edited by Lothian; 23rd November 2022 at 05:48 AM.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2022, 06:48 AM   #2176
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I suspect we don't have enough fire extinguishers, though.
Old 23rd November 2022, 08:24 AM   #2177
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

707 so far this year.
Old 23rd November 2022, 09:56 AM   #2178
lobosrul5
Illuminator

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/wal...-22/index.html

Another mass shooting in Virginia.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2022, 10:12 AM   #2179
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/wal...-22/index.html

Another mass shooting in Virginia.
Already mentioned in the thread, but my initial reaction was: *sigh* Another one?

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2022, 11:18 AM   #2180
Planigale
Philosopher

It is sad that Americans don't care about the most vulnerable in society and leave them defenceless.

It is no wonder we see regular school shootings where victims are forbidden to own guns. Why, why, do legislators not think of the children and put a gun under every school desk.

Similarly drunks will find it hard to aim a pistol with any accuracy. Therefore bars should put a semi automatic guns, which spay bullets and are therefore more likely to hit the bad guy, under their tables.

Together with enough good guys armed we can eliminate gun crime.
Not sure whether this was deliberate but a wonderful juxtaposition. I love the idea of spay* bullets, something all women should have access to; and I love the euphemism 'to hit under the table' to mean to spay.

*I am adopting a gender neutral meaning of spay.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2022, 03:23 PM   #2181
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Already mentioned in the thread, but my initial reaction was: *sigh* Another one?
One thing I'm triply concerned about this year is Black Friday, thinking that some kook(s) will take the opportunity that crowded stores will be a "target-rich environment".
Old 23rd November 2022, 05:26 PM   #2182
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

The drag show was of course what people who are 'honestly, really, double sure not defending the shooter' say was 'grooming'. I don't know what reason they have for thinking drag is inherently about sexual activity, but it just isn't. 'What do you mean it's not sexual?
My four great aunts were classic British working class, Tory voting Daily Express reading conservatives. We used to sit with them and watch Danny La Rue on television when we were kids. They loved Danny La Rue.

The skid marks who masquerade as conservatives these days would say they were grooming us.
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2022, 06:55 PM   #2183
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
My four great aunts were classic British working class, Tory voting Daily Express reading conservatives. We used to sit with them and watch Danny La Rue on television when we were kids. They loved Danny La Rue.

The skid marks who masquerade as conservatives these days would say they were grooming us.
Right?

Some fools get thirsty watching Misses Doubtfire and they have to make it everyone's problem?
Old 23rd November 2022, 07:44 PM   #2184
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
707 so far this year.
Perhaps this thread needs to be renamed to "Today's Mass Shootings"

Last edited by smartcooky; 23rd November 2022 at 08:45 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2022, 08:25 PM   #2185
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

What I wonder about is why we are having so many more of these shootings then inthe past..but that seems to be forgotten because there are no cheap political points to be made.
Some fools are making a big deal that the last two have occured in cities primarily known for their Military bases...Colorado Springs and the Air Force Academy,and Norfolk is of course, Navytown USA with the largest US Naval base there.I can't see any connection.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2022, 10:14 PM   #2186
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
What I wonder about is why we are having so many more of these shootings then inthe past..but that seems to be forgotten because there are no cheap political points to be made.
Some fools are making a big deal that the last two have occured in cities primarily known for their Military bases...Colorado Springs and the Air Force Academy,and Norfolk is of course, Navytown USA with the largest US Naval base there.I can't see any connection.
1. Ready availability of guns with almost no checks will always lead to more guns getting into the hands of people who are in no way fit to have them, and that leads to more gun violence and more spree-shootings.

2. The rise of the racist far right and the espousing of supporting extremist rhetoric by mainstream Repugnicans leads to the radicalization of more people who will then be motivated to commit that violence.

3. Mainstream Repugnicans demonize LGBTQ people and espouse hateful rhetoric, instilling fear of "the other" in their supporters. This motivates the crazies on the right to do things that they might no have done before

I have been warning about this for the last few years. The behavior of the Repugnican party is almost indistinguishable from that of a pre-fascist society. This has been repeated over and over in history - Chile under Pinochet, Argentina under Peron and later, Galtieri, Italy under Mussolini, and Nazi Germany under Hitler. They identify a boogeyman and make them into a threat and whip up their base into a frenzy... with political violence such as 1/6, the attempted kidnapping and murder of Gretchen Whitmer and spree shootings that target specific section of the community like Buffalo and Orlando, and synagogue attacks like Pittsburgh the inevitable result

In Chile and Argentina it was socialists (Salvador Allende's followers in Chile and Argentina) who were the boogeyman and they were frequently "disappeared"; in Italy it was communists; in Nazi German, communists, Jews, gays and the disabled Nazi Germany.

In the USA, its the LGBTQ community, Mexicans and to some extent, Jews and Blacks are the targets
Old 23rd November 2022, 11:08 PM   #2187
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

1. Ready availability of guns with almost no checks will always lead to more guns getting into the hands of people who are in no way fit to have them, and that leads to more gun violence and more spree-shootings.

2. The rise of the racist far right and the espousing of supporting extremist rhetoric by mainstream Repugnicans leads to the radicalization of more people who will then be motivated to commit that violence.

3. Mainstream Repugnicans demonize LGBTQ people and espouse hateful rhetoric, instilling fear of "the other" in their supporters. This motivates the crazies on the right to do things that they might no have done before

I have been warning about this for the last few years. The behavior of the Repugnican party is almost indistinguishable from that of a pre-fascist society. This has been repeated over and over in history - Chile under Pinochet, Argentina under Peron and later, Galtieri, Italy under Mussolini, and Nazi Germany under Hitler. They identify a boogeyman and make them into a threat and whip up their base into a frenzy... with political violence such as 1/6, the attempted kidnapping and murder of Gretchen Whitmer and spree shootings that target specific section of the community like Buffalo and Orlando, and synagogue attacks like Pittsburgh the inevitable result

In Chile and Argentina it was socialists (Salvador Allende's followers in Chile and Argentina) who were the boogeyman and they were frequently "disappeared"; in Italy it was communists; in Nazi German, communists, Jews, gays and the disabled Nazi Germany.

In the USA, its the LGBTQ community, Mexicans and to some extent, Jews and Blacks are the targets
If you are right, that is sgood argument for private gun ownership.....we need t protect ourselves from the right wing crazies by whatever needs necessary.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2022, 11:11 PM   #2188
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Not all these shooting are politically motiviated. The Norfolk shootings seem to me just someone going postal.
Anyway if you are right in the last half of your post, then that is a good argument for private good ownershipLSo the minorities can portect themselves from the crazies.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th November 2022, 01:48 AM   #2189
erlando
Master Poster

Not all these shooting are politically motiviated. The Norfolk shootings seem to me just someone going postal.
Anyway if you are right in the last half of your post, then that is a good argument for private good ownershipLSo the minorities can portect themselves from the crazies.
Yeah. More guns, that's the solution. 'Muricah!

Another solution would be to treat the disease, not the symptom. In this case the people needs to make it very clear that the rhetoric used by Republicans is not acceptable. So the battle is at the ballot box and in public discourse not at your front door with a gun in hand.
Old 24th November 2022, 02:20 AM   #2190
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Of course, but the question you asked is why the increase in numbers now?

IMO, the answer is there are as many (and I hate to use the term) "normal" spree shootings that there used to be, but now, over and above those, we have the politically motivated spree shootings like Tops Grocery Store in Buffalo, Poway Synagogue, Emanuel Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh, and now Club Q in Colorado Springs.

You can draw a direct, unwavering line between the anti-gay, anti trans, racist and anti-Semitic rhetoric of the far right (and their enablers like Ron DeSantis, Greg Abbot, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Lauren Boebert, Ron Johnson, Tommy Tuberville et al) and the radicalization of far right extremists their rhetoric results in.
Old 24th November 2022, 03:12 PM   #2191
chrispy
Graduate Poster

I'm just gonna leave this here. One of the strangest and yet most revealing interviews you will ever see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f6TXdNXcWk
Old 25th November 2022, 12:44 AM   #2192
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
I'm just gonna leave this here. One of the strangest and yet most revealing interviews you will ever see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f6TXdNXcWk
That's hard to watch.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2022, 05:22 PM   #2193
stanfr
Master Poster

I just saw that. It opens up all sorts of fascinating (from a mental health perspective) insights into possible motives.

Many internet pundits, and LGBT proponents are claiming that Aldrich's insistence on being referred to as 'they' is coming from his attorneys. As a former public defender I can say with near complete certainty that the request to be treated as binary is coming from the defendant and not the attorneys. The most likely reason is that he is trying to make a mockery of the system and thinks he is playing it. But it is at least plausible that he truly has a self identity crisis that is in complete conflict with the homophobic beliefs of his dad and parental figures. HIs dad's interview looked like it came straight from "American Beauty"...so was he acting on his own self-loathing beliefs in this massacre, or trying to appease the father figures in his life?
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2022, 06:54 PM   #2194
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
I just saw that. It opens up all sorts of fascinating (from a mental health perspective) insights into possible motives.

Many internet pundits, and LGBT proponents are claiming that Aldrich's insistence on being referred to as 'they' is coming from his attorneys. As a former public defender I can say with near complete certainty that the request to be treated as binary is coming from the defendant and not the attorneys. The most likely reason is that he is trying to make a mockery of the system and thinks he is playing it. But it is at least plausible that he truly has a self identity crisis that is in complete conflict with the homophobic beliefs of his dad and parental figures. HIs dad's interview looked like it came straight from "American Beauty"...so was he acting on his own self-loathing beliefs in this massacre, or trying to appease the father figures in his life?
From the Right Wing Terrorism thread in US politics...

So...the shooter's father was interviewed and the good Mormon famous for...doing porn and meth...was elated to find out his son was the shooter and not gay.

Conservative values.

EDIT: This is how the shooter could actually be non-binary and still full of hate for the lgbtq community. His family hates anyone connected to it, to the point they would rather their grandson and son be a mass murdering terrorist than be gay, and the shooter might blame the community for it. He could have been brought up to believe the only way to be lgbtq is because that community did something to him.

Or it could be another right-wing troll to further attack the community that was just terrorized. Like the above mentioned assertions that other shooters have been trans gender when there was never any indication of that at all.

Ironically it might make the shooter the first non-binary person to be accepted by mainstream conservatives.
Old 29th November 2022, 11:41 AM   #2195
catsmate
No longer the 1

Infographic.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...tings-database
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events